Carnival Splendor Review and Specifications
Specifications of Carnival Splendor
|Year built||2008 / Age : 11|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Monfalcone, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 700 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||Carnival Cruise Line|
|Speed||21 kn / 39 kph / 24 mph|
|Length (LOA)||290 m / 951 ft|
|Beam (width)||38 m / 125 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||113323 gt|
|Passengers||3016 - 3619|
|Decks with cabins||8|
|Christened by||Myleene Klass|
Current itinerary of Carnival Splendor
Carnival Splendor current cruise is 7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera. The itinerary starts on 15 Jun, 2019 and ends on 22 Jun, 2019.
|Date / Time||Port|
|15 Jun 16:00||Departing from Los Angeles, Long Beach, California hotels|
|17 Jun 10:00 - 19:00||Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico|
|18 Jun 08:00 - 17:00||Mazatlan, Mexico Riviera|
|19 Jun 09:00 - 21:00||Puerto Vallarta, Mexico Riviera|
|22 Jun 09:00||Arriving in Los Angeles, Long Beach, California hotels|
Review of Carnival Splendor
Launched in 2008, Carnival Splendor belongs to Costa Cruises' Concordia-class – together with Concordia (sunk in 2012), Favolosa, Fascinosa, Serena and Pacifica. Splendor was the largest cruise liner of Carnival until the debut of Carnival Dream in 2009.
It was first announced that the ship would be repositioned to China in early 2019, then transferred to the fleet of P&O Australia in late 2019. At the end of September 2017 was officially announced that Splendor will stay with Carnival.
History - construction and ownership
Carnival Cruise Lines (CCL) is a US company, trademarked brand and subsidiary of Carnival Corporation (shipowner). CCL was founded in 1972 as an independent company by Ted Arison (1924-1999, co-founder of NCL Norwegian). Carnival Cruise Lines has Corporation's largest fleet as both a number of vessels and GT tonnage (ship sizes and capacities). CCL has over 1/5 of the cruise industry's worldwide market.
The 113,323-ton, 3,006-passenger cruise ship Carnival Splendor is a big ship with a huge personality, which has already set herself apart in grand style. For first-time cruisers, Splendor has inaugurated a new cabin category, the spa cabin. The retractable sky cupola that covers Carnival Splendor's pool deck is also a novelty for Carnival. With Carnival Splendor, the line introduced its first ever route in the Baltic and South America, a remarkable expansion for the fleet.
Cruise itinerary program
Carnival Splendor itinerary program is based on departures from New York to Canada/New England and the Caribbean, from Miami to Eastern and Western Caribbean, as well as roundtrip Bahamas, Caribbean and Cruises to Nowhere sailing out of Norfolk VA.
In 2019, the ship will be repositioned from Los Angeles USA to Australia (homeport Sydney NSW) for year-round deployment. Operations start in November 2019, following the repositioning cruise from Singapore to Sydney NSW. In Singapore, the liner will be drydock refurbished and new dining options will be added to the Australian market. It was previously suggested that Splendor in 2019 would join the P&O Australia fleet.
- Bookings on Carnival Splendor Australia cruises 2019 (departures November 25 through December 28) were opened on March 23, 2018.
- The Asia-Australia repositioning itinerary visits Indonesia (Benoa Bali and Komodo Island) and Darwin AU.
From Australia, Carnival Splendor offers 3 itineraries (Sydney roundtrips to South Pacific islands):
- 8-NIGHT (2 sea days, Noumea, Lifou, Isle of Pines, 2 sea days), from AUD 1130 pp / double inside cabin rates
- 9-NIGHT (2 sea days, Noumea, Mare, Lifou, 3 sea days), from AUD 1649 pp / double inside cabin rates
- 9-NIGHT (2 sea days, Isle of Pines, Mare, Lifou, 2 sea days), from AUD 1699 pp / double inside cabin rates.
The longest Carnival cruise ever is the 24-night Transpacific crossing on Splendor - departing on October 5, 2019, from Long Beach CA. The ship crosses the Pacific Ocean to Asia (Singapore), arriving on October 30. After extended stops in Honolulu and Maui, the liner visits Guam and Kota Kinabalu (Malaysia), then Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam) - all the 3 ports are first for Carnival (never visited before). The relocation cruise also features the traditional ceremony held during International dateline crossings. Prices started from just USD 1650 pp ($69 pp per day).
Carnival Splendor has a total number of 1503 cabins (of which 70 Suites) in 33 grades. Carnival Splendor boasts 66 Cloud 9 Spa cabins. The ship also offers 29 accessible cabins. Most Carnival Splendor staterooms are 185-sq. foot insides (556), oceanview (368) and balcony (537, with verandas of 35-75 sq.feet). There are also a total of 52 suites, measuring between 275-345 sq.feet. Suite passengers receive priority embarkation and debarkation, VIP check-in, and a deluxe bathroom.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Carnival Splendor offers everything that's become a cruise industry standard, along with innovative surprises: a superb alternative restaurant, Indian tandoori grill, sushi bar, and stir-fry station. The premium coffee bar and Pinnacle supper club are the only onboard venues that come with an extra charge. The rest are all included in the fare you pay. Splendor's MDRs - The Gold Pearl and The Black Pearl, are grandiose dining venues, welcoming a total of 1,750 passengers. Dinner tables are assigned and the majority can accommodate 4, 6 and 10 diners. Seatings are at 6 p.m. and 8:15 p.m., orchestrated like a fine watch. Everyone knows it is time to say goodnight when Splendor's maitre d' starts singing and waiters jump up to dance on the tables.
Follows the complete list of Carnival Splendor restaurants and food bars.
- The Black Pearl Restaurant (744-seat forward Dining Room, with two fixed dinner seatings and “Your Time Dining”; offers “Seuss At Sea” themed breakfast for $5)
- The Gold Pearl Restaurant (1122-seat aft Dining Room, with two fixed dinner seatings and open seating for Breakfast and Lunch)
- Splendido Lido Buffet Restaurant (1396-seat, self-service buffet restaurant with various food stations; operates as a bistro in the evenings)
- The Pinnacle Steakhouse (108-seat, reservations only specialty restaurant for steaks and seafood, with dance floor and live music)
- California Roll Sushi (sushi bar, complimentary)
- Fahrenheit 555 (added in 2019) is where guests can try the finest aged beef, that is seared to exact specifications to lock in flavor at the precise temperature of 555 deg. Fahrenheit. Set in an elegant setting and offering a menu of some of the best cuts, Fahrenheit 555 is the best venue for celebrating special occasions or indulging in the evening. The upscale steakhouse incurs an additional charge.
- Masala Tiger (added in 2019) is a new modern dining concept created with the Australian palette in mind. It offers an authentic dining experience with Tandoori-style cooking. Passengers can enjoy a selection of chargrilled veggies and meats, curries, and naan bread fresh from the oven. The menu is included in the cruise fare and changes daily. Masala Tiger is to be located in the adults-only Serenity Retreat, also sheltering a nearby bar and Carnival Deli.
- Seafood Shack (added in 2019) is a seaside spot featuring New England-style, where passengers can tuck into a serving of fish and chips, Lobster BLT, or enjoy oysters, all at an additional charge.
- Pizzeria del Capitano (added in 2019) pays homage to Italian heritage of a lot of Carnival Captains. The pizzeria features hand-made pizzas with imported Italian flour, delectable toppings, and fresh mozzarella, all included in the cruise price.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Carnival Splendor marks a new class of ship for Carnival. One of her most awesome features is the luxury, 21,000-square-foot spa, the most elaborate in the fleet. Pan-Asian in design, the Cloud 9 Spa spans on two decks and features a state-of-the-art fitness center which rivals any other at sea. There are many beauty and health rooms for treatment, as well as the first Thalassotherapy pool. With 24 lounges and bars, outdoor movies, a water slide and a singing maitre d', Splendor delivers exactly what Carnival cruisers expect: fun. Splendor's shipboard entertainment is not confined to evenings. Live music is all over the ship, day and night.
The 270-sq.foot theater screen on Lido Deck is constantly used, showing movies, headline news and concerts. And, just like any Carnival cruise, there are trivia contests, bingo, bean bag tosses, Love and Marriage game, even men's hairy chest contest.
Follows the complete list of Carnival Splendor lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens, and adults.
- Spectacular Theatre (1349-seat, 3-level show lounge for grand shows and musical productions; also used for daily trivia game shows, movies, bingo sessions).
- Splendor Atrium Lobby (7-deck high open floor area with Splendor Lobby Bar for live performances)
- The Pink Pearl (28-seat Card Room); Art Room Gallery; The Golden Atrium; The Alexandria Library
- The Fun Shops (offer “Bon Voyage” items, duty-free liquor, jewelry, fashion boutiques, souvenirs, logo items);
- Formalities Shop (tuxedo rentals, special occasion gifts);
- S&S Card LCD kiosks;
- Photo Gallery and Shop
- Club O2 (teens' club lounge for video games, movies, karaoke, and themed parties); Video Games Arcade
- Our House Bar (55-seat sports bar); El Mojito Bar (30-seat wine bar); Alchemy Bar; Grand Piano Bar (100-seat piano bar); The Cool Lounge (88-seat jazz bar); Robusto Bar (147-seat cigar bar with live music)
- Royal Flush Casino (484-seat, served by Oceanview Bar); Centuries Promenade Bar (23-seat)
- The Coffee Shop (50-seat specialty coffee bar)
- Red Carpet Disco and Nightclub (211-seat)
- El Morocco Lounge (425-seat, with dance floor; El Morocco Bar; hosts Punchliner Comedy Club)
- RedFrog Rum Bar (Caribbean rums selection, ThirstyFrog Red draught beer, burgers, and fries)
- Carnival Cloud 9 Spa (with Thermal Suite, Oriental Steam Bath, Aroma Steam Bath, Laconium, Thalasso Pool, Saunas, Fitness Center with Aerobics Studio, Beauty Salon)
- Sports Deck (multi-sports court, Tennis Tables, Shuffleboard); 9-hole Mini Golf Course; Jogging Track.
- Circle C (kids' club lounge, complimentary)
- The Web (24-hour Internet computers room)
- Splendido Pool area (with stage; served by Splendido Bar)
- Liner Pool area (with two Whirlpools, served by Liner Bar)
- Thunderball Pool area (with Twister Waterslide, kids AquaPark, 1 Whirlpool); Splash Park (with 3 waterslides, fountains, and sprays)
- Carnival Seaside Theatre (LED screen outdoor cinema)
- Serenity (adults only area with Serenity Bar, two Whirlpools, padded lounges)
- Camp Carnival (kids' club lounge area, complimentary programmes, supervised activities, with outdoor Kids Pool area).
Carnival Splendor wiki
Fun Ship 2.0 upgrade was done in 2016. Splendor is Carnival's sole vessel of Costa Cruises Concordia-class liners, with sisterships Concordia, Serena, Pacifica, Fascinosa, Favolosa. In December 2016, Carnival announced that Splendor will be transferred to P&O Cruises Australia in late 2019. However, in 2017 this decision was canceled.
Fun Facts: this ship was originally designed to be part of Costa Cruceros fleet. That is why the boat has the largest Spa installed on a Fun Ship (2-deck area sized 21000 ft2 / 2000 m2) with winter garden and traditional tea house. Splendor also has fleet's largest kids playroom (sized 5500 ft2 / 510 m2). The main pool area is covered with a 2-deck-high retractable glass roof/dome.
In early 2013, CCL Splendor was relocated from LA (Long Beach) to NYC via itinerary route around South America. The reason for that long repositioning cruise was that (as Post-Panamax vessel) Splendor was not able to transit through Panama Canal.
(November 8, 2010 fire accident) - on the 2nd day of her Mexican Riviera trip from Long Beach CA, she experienced an engine room fire resulting in loss of all electrical power. After several hours the fire was extinguished (no one was injured). She was towed to San Diego. The ship received supplies via US Navy helicopters leaving from the USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier. All guests received a full refund plus a free cruise of equal value and reimbursement for travel expenses.
The ship will be deployed to Asia in spring 2018 for roundtrips from China (year-round departures). Carnival Asia cruise operations are partnership between Carnival Cruise Lines and the Carnival Corporation's subsidiary on the Chinese market - Costa Asia. The second Carnival ship in Asia became Carnival Spirit (2017-2018 winter season only).
As part of the "Carnival Journeys" itinerary program (offering longer enrichment voyages), in 2018 (August 25 - September 8) Carnival Splendor operated a 14-day roundtrip Alaskan cruise from Long Beach (Los Angeles) California. The itinerary featured Hubbard Glacier and Icy Strait Point (day-long stay, whale and bear watching, world's longest zip-line). The list of onboard activities included Alaska-themed cultural and culinary events and themed seminars (photography, arts, crafts, cooking, celestial navigation). The list of Alaskan shore excursion included hiking, sea kayaking, canoeing, helicopter flightseeing tours, lake snorkeling. In 2017 (September 2-16), Carnival Miracle operated company's first-ever roundtrip to Alaska from California.
Carnival Splendor - user reviews and comments
Photos of Carnival SplendorAdd Photo
Carnival Splendor ship related cruise news
Although scheduled to depart from LA-Long Beach CA Saturday afternoon, May 25, Carnival Splendor had to stay in port until Sunday afternoon due to a...May 27, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Carnival Cruise Line revealed the much-anticipated dining options aboard Carnival Splendor ahead of the ship's arrival in Australia in December 2019...March 18, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Carnival Cruise Line announced that its full 2020 program is available for bookings, and offers Aussie holidaymakers more fun than ever before on...August 26, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Carnival Cruise Line’s 2020 Australian program is now on sale. It offers Aussie vacationers a record number of 75 voyages from Australia to...July 5, 2018
- Cruise Industry
In 2020, Carnival Cruise Line will offer a record number of itineraries departing from 3 major home ports – Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney...June 17, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Carnival Cruise Line announced that next year they will offer 3 extended trips, of which the longest single-departure cruise in the history of the...May 17, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Carnival Cruise Line announced that Carnival Splendor 2019 itineraries are open for sale. The news marked the opportunity for Aussie cruise lovers to...March 25, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Carnival Corporation announced that its Carnival Splendor cruise ship is leaving Los Angeles for her new Australian home. The 3000-passenger vessel...March 10, 2018
- Cruise Industry
A grand reopening was held on Saturday, February 10, of the busiest cruise ship terminal in North America. Long Beach Cruise Terminal celebrated...February 11, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Songwriter and singer Carly Rae Jepsen joined Carnival Cruise Line’s roster of artists who are expected to perform for Carnival LIVE in 2018...December 28, 2017
- show more news
Other Carnival Cruise Line cruise ships
Carnival Splendor Itineraries
The below listed Carnival Splendor cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Carnival Cruise Line fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2019 May 25||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles|
|2019 Jun 01||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles|
|2019 Jun 08||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles|
|2019 Jun 15||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles|
|2019 Jun 22||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles||$729|
|2019 Jun 29||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles||$1264|
|2019 Jul 06||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles||$789|
|2019 Jul 13||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles||$759|
|2019 Jul 20||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles||$809|
|2019 Jul 27||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles||$719|
|2019 Aug 03||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles||$689|
|2019 Aug 10||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles||$624|
|2019 Aug 17||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles||$529|
|2019 Aug 24||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles||$499|
|2019 Aug 31||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles||$489|
|2019 Sep 07||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles||$484|
|2019 Sep 14||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles||$479|
|2019 Sep 21||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles||$499|
|2019 Sep 28||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles||$464|
|2019 Oct 05||25 days, one-way from Los Angeles to Singapore||Los Angeles|
Carnival Splendor User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Create Review