World Dream Review and Specifications
Specifications of World Dream
|Year built||2017 / Age : 3|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||USD 960 million|
|Owner||GHK-Genting Hong Kong Ltd|
|Operator||Genting Cruise Lines (via Dream Cruises Asia)|
|Speed||24 kn / 44 kph / 28 mph|
|Length (LOA)||335 m / 1099 ft|
|Beam (width)||38 m / 125 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||151300 gt|
|Passengers||3376 - 3400|
|Decks with cabins||7|
|Christened by||Puan Sri Cecilia Lim|
Current position of World Dream
Review of World Dream
MS World Dream cruise ship is the second vessel of the Chinese premium brand Dream Cruises (Genting Hong Kong/GHK-owned subsidiary company launched in November 2015). Among world's largest cruise liners, the 151,300-ton, 3350-passenger vessel debuted in November 2017. Its fleetmates are the sistership Genting Dream (2016), the transferred from Star Cruises in 2019 Explorer Dream (1999-built as SuperStar Virgo) and the larger Global-class liner Global Dream (2020).
History - construction and ownership
GHK is a global entertainment, hospitality, and leisure company based in Hong Kong. It ordered two cruise vessels to be custom-built to serve the Asian market, specifically China. With the new Dream Cruises brand, the company concluded its mission to offer a separate brand for each of its cruise market segments, with the other two being Crystal Cruises (luxury segment) and Star Cruises (contemporary segment).
On October 7, 2013, Star Cruises (also owned by Genting Hong Kong / GHK) announced that GHK signed a shipbuilding agreement with Meyer Werft (Papenburg Shipyard) for the construction of 1 new vessel for Star Cruises, with scheduled delivery in Fall 2016. On February 10, 2014, was ordered a second vessel of the same class, with scheduled delivery in Fall 2017. Both ships were with gross tonnage 150,000 GT tons and double-occupancy passenger capacity 3364.
However, later GHK decided to create a new cruise line brand (Dream Cruises) and both new ships were redirected to the new subsidiary company. MS Genting World (later renamed to "MS World Dream") had its steel-cutting ceremony held on February 9, 2015. MS World Dream ship's steel-cutting ceremony was in February 2016 at Meyer Werft shipyard (Papenburg, Germany). The ship was floated out on August 26 and delivered to Dream Cruises on October 26, 2017. This was the 44th cruise liner built by Meyer Werft. The ceremony was attended by Tim Meyer (Meyer Werft's Managing Director).
Cruise itinerary program
The ship's 5-night / 6-day itineraries visit Philippines (Manila and Boracay Island, November 17, 2017, through March 31, 2018). The other set offers 5-night / 6-day itineraries to Vietnam (Saigon-Ho Chi Minh City and Nha Trang, December 3, 2017, through October 2018). Also offered are 2-night / 3-day Pearl River Delta weekend cruises leaving roundtrip from Hong Kong. B2B cruise deals ("back-to-back") are also available for booking, combining the 2-night weekend with two 5-night workweek itineraries into a 12-night B2B itinerary.
In October 2017, Dream Cruises announced a new homeport deployment for the ship - Singapore (Marina Bay Terminal), also offering discount priced fly-cruise deals from China.
In 2018, the ship offered Dream Cruises' 5-night cruise to Japan (Sundays departures from both Nansha and Hong Kong). The itinerary visits Naha and Miyakojima Island (with 2 sea days) and returns to Nansha and Hong Kong on Fridays. This China to Japan cruise ends with “Dream Night” - the company's traditional for every 5-night voyage laser and fireworks show at sea.
In 2019, Dream Cruises introduced the new "One Day Greater Bay Cruise" itinerary linking ship's both homeports. Mini-cruise prices start from RMB 500 (USD 64 / EUR 66) per person. Departures are offered on Fridays (Guangzhou to Hong Kong) and on Sundays (Hong Kong to Guangzhou). During the promo period (March through June 2019), every booked passenger received an onboard credit voucher worth HKD 100 (USD 13 / EUR 11).
The 19-deck World Dream has the capacity to accommodate 3,400 cruise passengers and 2,000 crew members, featuring a crew-to-guest ratio of 1:1.7, which is the highest in any Asia Pacific ship. The German-built vessel is designed with spacious interiors. The Dream ship is claimed to become one of the largest and spacious cruise ships in the world. With 1,680 cabins, including outside staterooms and passenger cabins spread over 2 exclusive floors of Dream Suites, the vessel offers a variety of accommodation options for her guests.
The suites measure between 32m²-183m², with around 70% of the staterooms boasting a private balcony and over 100 connecting rooms that provide convenient family vacation. Services to suites include special privileges and European butler service.
"The Palace" is a ship-within-ship concept (exclusive complex) consisting of 154 premium suites, exclusive dining and lounge areas, butler service, suite-only perks. The 5-star luxury complex is sized nearly 10,000 m2 (108,000 ft2) and includes The Palace Restaurant, Gym, exclusive sundeck with swimming pool. The all-inclusive luxury experience features Seafood Buffet (The Palace Restaurant), complimentary Premium Beverage package (in all onboard bars and restaurants), Captain’s Welcome Cocktail Party, Crystal Life Cafe (healthy breakfast, vegetarian lunch), dedicated Kids Program (for children 2 to 12 yo), dedicated “Connoisseurs Circle” (enrichment program), complimentary fitness classes, complimentary shore excursions, priority services, specialty dining shipwide.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
World Dream features 35 bars and restaurants, offering a wide choice of dining experiences for her guests. The restaurants offer regional cuisines, with emphasis on Chinese and Asian dishes, as well as international flavors like South East Asian, Japanese, Italian and more. A 610 m wrap-around promenade is a special place for dining and offers seaside dining and lounging from early morning to late evening in various themed venues.
Follows the complete list of World Dream restaurants and food bars.
- World Dining Room (300 indoor seats) is a complimentary restaurant open for breakfast (7-10 am), lunch (12 noon – 2 pm) and dinner (5-8 pm). Chinese dishes and vegetarian options are always available.
- Dream Dining Room (428 indoor seats) is a complimentary restaurant open for breakfast (6-9 am), lunch (12 noon – 2 pm) and dinner (5-8 pm). Chinese dishes and vegetarian options are always available.
- The Lido (554 indoor seats) is a complimentary buffet (self-serve) restaurant open for breakfast (7-10 am), lunch (12 noon – 2 pm) and dinner (5-8 pm). Breakfast options include made-to-order dishes (omelets, pancakes, waffles). Lunch and dinner options also include made-to-order dishes (pasta, salads), fresh-baked pizzas, soups, carving stations (roasts), Asian entrees, vegetarian dishes, separate salad bar, fresh fish (catch of the day), desserts (incl sugar-free items).
- Silk Road & Cabaret is a Chinese specialty restaurant (148 seats, at surcharge, reservations-only) with original dishes created by Asian Chefs, an extensive wine list and an extensive Baiju list. In the evenings (11 pm till late), Silk Road transforms into the Cabaret (show lounge).
- BISTRO by Mark Best (165 indoor seats / Chef’s Table has 10 indoor seats) is an a la carte priced restaurant (reservations-only) serving western dishes (international cuisine specialties), fine wines (by the glass), a selection of domestic and international beers, specialty coffees/teas. The BISTRO is open for breakfast (7-10 am), lunch (12 noon – 2 pm) and dinner (5-8 pm).
- BISTRO Chef’s Table (10 indoor seats) is part of the Bistro restaurant. This is a Private Table (dining room) available for individual and group booking. Each of the dishes is paired with fine wines. Chef’s Table becomes active only when at least 8 passengers book in.
- BISTRO Grill Outdoor (54 outdoor seats) is also part of the Bistro restaurant. The grill is reservations only and opens for lunch (12 noon – 2 pm) and dinner (5-8 pm).
- Umi Uma (44 indoor seats / 42 outdoor seats) is a Japanese cuisine specialty restaurant (at surcharge, reservations required) open for dinner-only – between 5-8 pm.
- Umi Uma Tepanyaki (78 indoor seats) is a live cooking venue where dishes are prepared by the ship’s master chefs. The restaurant is at a surcharge and opens for dinner-only – between 5-8 pm.
- Umi Uma Sushi Bar (13 indoor seats) is a specialty restaurant (at surcharge, reservations required) open for lunch (12 noon – 2 pm) and dinner (5-8 pm). The sushi bar offers signature dishes and an extensive Sake menu.
- Lobby Bar (40 seats, open between 7 am – 1 am) serves the lobby area with non-alcoholic and alcoholic drinks.
- BreadBox is a bread shop (onboard bakery) / Snacks & Refreshment bar selling fresh-baked gourmet bread, cinnamon rolls, cookies, specialty coffees (Espresso, Latte, Cappucino, Viennese), Tiffin take away menu. BreadBox is open between 10 am – 8 pm.
- Lobby Cafe (7 seats, open between 7 am – 8 pm) is a takeaway café bar offering southeast Asian favorites. To go dishes are in Tiffin boxes.
- Bar 360 (27 seats) offers premium Bourbons, cocktails and other beverages.
- Blue Lagoon (172 seats) is a 24-hour open restaurant (at a surcharge) with an a la carte priced menu and chefs live cooking stations. The restaurant also offers specialty coffees/teas and gourmet desserts (incl ice cream. Blue Lagoon is closed only between 4-5 am.
- Red Lion Pub (75 seats) is an English pub bar serving draft beers, international bottled beers, a variety of pub drinks and snacks, also full pub food menu. The pub is open 24 hours. The lunch menu is served between 12 noon – 2 pm, and dinner menu – between 6-10 pm.
- Johnnie Walker House
- Wine Vault (wine bar) is open between 11 am – 12 midnight, and hosts wine tasting events with sommelier service.
- BAR CITY 256 indoor / 177 outdoor seats – total 341) is a lounge complex that includes The Whisky House, Mixt and Bubbles.
- The Whisky House (30 indoor / 47 outdoor seats) offers an impressive selection of the world’s finest whiskies, exclusive service, whisky tasting courses matched with gourmet meals paired with each vintage. The Whisky House is open between 11 am – 12 midnight. Bookings for special and whisky tasting events are required.
- Mixt (159 indoor / 44 outdoor seats) is a beverages only / cocktail bar with a separate snack menu.
- Bubbles (50 seats) is a premium Champagne bar lounge open between 11 am – 12 midnight.
- Boba Cha (14 outdoor seats) is open between 10 am – 6 pm and offers non-alcoholic beverages.
- Gelateria (20 outdoor seats) is an ice cream bar open between 10 am – 6 pm. The a la carte priced menu has a variety of ice creams, toppings, sherbets, frozen yogurt, fresh strawberries, home-baked cookies.
- Hot Pot (108 seats, open between 5-10 pm) is an outdoor dinner-only restaurant (at surcharge, reservations-only) offering poultry, meat, seafood, and vegetarian dishes.
- Crystal Life Cuisine (61 indoor seats) is a healthy food restaurant (at a surcharge) also offering fresh-squeezed juices for the gym users. Crystal Life Cuisine is open for breakfast (8-9 am), lunch (12 noon – 2 pm) and dinner (5-8 pm), and reservations are required.
- World Club (60 indoor seats) is an exclusive (Dream Mansion passengers only) restaurant with an exclusive wine list. World Club is open for breakfast (7-10 am), lunch (12 noon – 2 pm) and dinner (5-8 pm). Reservations are required.
- World Grill (258 outdoor seats) is an outdoor complimentary dining venue open for breakfast (7-10 am), lunch (12 noon – 2 pm) and dinner (5-8 pm). Throughout the day, World Grill serves the pool deck with fast food/snacks. In addition to the grilled food, during breakfast and lunch times is offered the Lido’s menu.
- "Penfolds Wine Vault" (partnership with the Australian winemaker Penfolds) is a specialty restaurant/premium wine bar (at surcharge PP). The wine list features the rare vintages "Penfolds Bin 170", "Penfolds Grange 2010" and also "Penfolds Yattarna" (a special Chardonnay). Food pairing opportunities are provided by expert chefs and professional sommeliers. The Wine Vault also hosts reservation-only wine tasting events as part of the ship’s enrichment programming.
- Pool Deck Bar is open between 7 am – 6 pm and serves with drinks at the swimming pool area. The bar offers cocktails and mocktails and serves a total of 380 outdoor seats plus 330 sunbeds.
- The Living Room (42 indoor seats) is an exclusive (Dream Mansion passengers only) lounge manned by Butlers and open between 7 am – 1 am. The lounge serves complimentary drinks (upon request) and snacks (in the mornings and afternoons).
- Dream Mansion Lounge (31 indoor seats) is an exclusive (Dream Mansion passengers only) lounge open between 7 am – 1 am. It is manned by Butlers and offers complimentary beverages.
- World Club Restaurant & Lounge (37 indoor seats) is an exclusive (Dream Mansion passengers only) with an exclusive list of premium wines (offered complimentary by the glass). World Club Lounge is open between 7-10 am, 12 noon – 2 pm and 5-8 pm. Here are served various complimentary beverages, including specialty coffees/teas.
- Sun Deck Bar (portside/starboard); Sundeck Bar Portside and Sundeck Bar Starboard have 38 outdoor seats (each) and serve refreshments (incl beer, cocktails, mocktails) between 7 am and 6 pm.
- Dream Mansion Cafe (140 indoor seats) is an exclusive snack and refreshments venue open between 7 am – 1 am.
- The Market is an outdoor venue serving non-alcoholic drinks only.
- Palm Court (115 indoor seats) is a premium bar (open between 7 am – 12 midnight) with Afternoon High Tea service (between 2:30-5 pm).
In December 2017, Dream Cruises introduced on MS World Dream Asia's first "Tiffany" retail shop at sea. The fleet's new amenity also offers to purchase the exclusive "Tiffany High Tea Set". The exclusive Tiffany Afternoon Tea service is complemented with premium treats and served at the "Seafood Grill" on Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.
In 2017, Dream Cruises also debuted on World Dream Asia's (and the world's) first at sea "Dior Jewelry and Watches" retail shop. The World Dream ship also features the interactive "Scents and Spirits" (perfumes sampling and potables tasting), as well as the Make-Up Bar where passengers can experiment with the beauty industry's latest products and techniques.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Plenty of recreation venues are available aboard World Dream, including multiple pool types, 6 water slides, rope climbing course, playrooms, card rooms, mahjong, bowling alley, and duty-free shopping. Health and wellness facilities include state-of-the-art Western and Asian spas, Zodiac Theatre, health club, beauty salon, barbershop, and enhance the guest experience. Other activities include inspirational speeches and wine tasting to enrich passengers' time at sea.
Each Dream Cruises ship offers unique underwater excursions via 2 mini-submarines (underwater craft). They are able to carry cruise passengers deep under the sea while the ship operates in select Asian destinations. Each minisub carries 1 pilot and up to 4 passengers at a time. The cruise ship also carries a motorboat that can be booked for shore excursions.
Follows the complete list of World Dream lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens, and adults.
- Zodiac Theatre
- Tributes (170 indoor / 40 outdoor seats) is live show lounge and bar also hosting specially themed events. The full-service bar offers spirits, cocktails, beers, wines, fresh-made snacks. Tributes Lounge & Bar are open between 10 am – 11:30 pm.
- Zouk (125 indoor seats) is the ships disco nightclub that during the day doubles as a sports bar. It is open between 8 pm – 2 am, features 4 bowling lanes and pool tables, and reservations are required.
- Zouk Beach Club (154 outdoor seats) offers cabana seating, swimming pool, a giant LED screen for movies under the stars and for live sporting events, two private outdoor decks. These venues can also be booked for private or corporate events.
- Karaoke (49 indoor seats) is a complex of 5 karaoke singing rooms, open 24 hours, with luxurious furniture, premium alcohol (cognacs, Armagnacs, whiskies, wines), gourmet snacks.
- Star Club; Star Club II; Premium Club; Humidor (smoking-allowed cigar lounge); Mahjong Room (Card Room).
- Crystal Life Asian Spa, Wellness & Fitness
- Le Salon (Beauty Salon/hairdresser, manicure-pedicure)
- The Gentlemen’s Barber (barbershop)
- Boutiques (duty-free shopping arcade); The Dream Boutiques
- Boardwalk / Promenade is a 610 m (2000 ft) long wraparound outdoor promenade deck lined with outdoor seating venues.
- Little Pandas Club (kids club with complimentary children programming - Little Dreamers, Mermaid Academy, Astronaut Camp at Sea, dress-up parties)
- Kids Aqua Zone. The Waterslide Park has a total of 6 slides, of which 5 are for adults only (tubed) and 1 water slide is for kids only. The adults-only waterslides’ entrances are on deck 20 (aft). All slides are free of charge.
- Sun Deck (sunbathing area with loungers)
- Rock Climbing Wall (height 7 m / 24 ft.) is free of charge.
- Ropes Course – this attraction offers many outdoor activities and also unique photo opportunities. Part of the course is the Zip Line (length 35 m / 115 ft) available for adults-only. The Zip Line is located aft, above the sea and over the ship’s port side. For children and teens is available the “Walk the Plank” (also above the sea)
- Mini-Golf Course is a 9-hole putting green course (free of charge).
- Sportsplex is a multi-sport course (full-size basketball court) also used for playing volleyball and 5-a-side football (soccer).
World Dream - user reviews and comments
Photos of World DreamAdd Photo
World Dream ship related cruise news
The Asian premium passenger shipping company Dream Cruises announced it would be suspending the Genting Dream ship's homeporting in Singapore due to...February 21, 2020
Thousands of people stuck on a Dream Cruises ship in Hong Kong for 4 days were finally allowed to disembark after coronavirus tests came back...February 10, 2020
More than 1800 passengers and crew are being tested for Coronavirus onboard a Dream Cruises ship in Hong Kong today, February 5, after some crew...February 5, 2020
Thousands of people face spending a fortnight stuck on a Princess Cruises ship quarantined off Port Yokohama Japan after initial results showed 10...February 5, 2020
Two ships - one from China and another from Hong Kong - docked in Manila (Luzon Island, Philippines) this week, with nearly 800 Chinese cruise...January 29, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Dream Cruises company's MS World Dream liner embarked on its inaugural voyage from Kaohsiung Taiwan marking the latest in a series of events launched...July 4, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Dream Cruises announced the launch of the “One Day Greater Bay Cruise” aboard World Dream that is due to link Guangzhou and Hong Kong...March 8, 2019
- Cruise Industry
From January through March 2019, Dream Cruises' guests can enjoy the life-size version of the best-selling board game in the world and win...January 25, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Upon the official opening of High Speed Rail (HK section), Hong Kong is now connected to the largest high-speed railway network in the world, opening...December 5, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Dream Cruises welcomed line's 1 millionth passenger with an official celebration at Hong Kong’s Kai Tak Cruise Terminal upon disembarkation...October 21, 2018
- show more news
Other Genting Cruise Lines cruise ships
World Dream Wiki
On January 10, 2017, at Meyer Werft shipyard (Papenburg, Germany) was held the vessel's keel-laying ceremony. The special event was attended by Tan Sri Lim Kok Thay (Genting Hong Kong's Chairman and CEO) and Thatcher Brown (Dream Cruises' President). During the ceremony, block 3 (one of all 92 construction blocks) was lifted into the building dock, thus the ship's assembly was officially started. Also during the ceremony, "lucky coins" were placed under the keel block as a traditional good fortune symbol.
The vessel's launch (float-out from drydock) was held on August 26, 2017, at Papenburg Shipyard (Germany). From the covered shipyard (drydock hall), the new liner was docked at the outfitting pier for final works. On September 17, 2017, started the navigation on Ems River to Eemshaven Holland (for testing), then to Bremerhaven Germany for the North Sea trials.
The ship was christened in Hong Kong (at Kai Tak Terminal) on November 17, 2017. Its godmother is Mrs. Puan Sri Cecilia Lim - wife of Tan Sri Lim Kok Thay (GHK's CEO). The ceremony was attended by over 1000 VIP guests, including Chinese government dignitaries, GHK business partners, media representatives.
Before the ship's inauguration in November, in mid-September 2017, Dream Cruises started a promotional campaign for building the world's largest LEGO-made cruise ship. The LEGO Word Dream ship replica has length 8,44 m (27,7 ft) and was officially certified by Guinness as a world record creation. Ship's inaugural cruise itineraries were scheduled as two departures - from Hong Kong (November 17) and out of Nansha-Guangzhou (November 19). The 5-night itinerary's ports of call were in the Philippines (Boracay, Manila) and Vietnam (Saigon, Nha Trang).
Wartsila Funa was the supplier of the ship's unique external "Dynamic Exterior Lighting" system. The innovative lighting system provides stunning visual effects (color, movement, and video) to the vessel's exterior. The technology is based on custom-designed and individually controlled LED RGBW lighting units. Wartsila Funa specializes in audio, video and lighting control design for large land-based public facilities (including theme parks, attractions, museums) and for cruise ships.
MS World Dream has the world's first permanent eSports gaming facility at sea. The 1700 ft2 (158 m2) sized venue is part of "VR Center" (virtual reality gaming complex with ESC Experience Lab). Ship's eSports facility has a capacity for 80 persons (live audience) and up to 10 players. eSports events are streamed live to all TVs and LED screens on the ship, including all staterooms, the indoor Zodiac Theatre and the outdoor theatre Zouk Beach Club. eSports video gaming competitions involve physical and mental training. eSports is officially admitted as a medal sport for the 2022 Asian Games (Hangzhou, China). eSports gaming is also a potential activity for the 2024 Summer Olympics (Paris, France).
In 2018, the liner became world's first cruise ship to offer Matcha-themed cruises. Matcha is a finely ground powder of specialty tea leaves. In the period April 29 through June 14, passengers booked on 2- and 5-night itineraries enjoyed authentic Japanese culture experience. The themed voyages were via a partnership with Nakamura Tokichi Honten - one of Japan's finest tea houses. The unique onboard events included Kimono masterclass, tea expert-led workshops, Japanese tea tasting lessons, Tea Kabuki (traditional quiz game), meet-and-greets with Okinawan celebrity illustrator, Awamori (alcoholic beverage) tasting, limited-edition Matcha delicacies (cream roll, cream puff, cheesecake) traditionally served with steeped Matcha tea latte. Shipboard dining included Okinawan food and drinks, such as Wagyu beef, Agu pork, seasonal vegetables, and fruits.
June through November 2018, the ship offered "Taste the Dream" – Wine and Dine at Sea". The event featured collaboration between 6 Asian celebrity chefs (Michelin-starred) and the company's culinary team. Passengers booked in "The Palace Suites" had the chance to enjoy limited-edition food and wine pairing menus ("4-hand" / created by 2 chefs). The limited tasting menus were included in the complimentary dining options for "The Palace Suite" passengers on World Dream. The program also included interactive cooking workshops (led by the chefs) and exclusive "Chef’s Table" throughout the voyages. The 6 celebrity chefs were Alvin Leung, Chan Kwok Keung, Christian Yang, Martin Yan, Vicky Cheng, Wan Tat Kong.
Ship's Captain is Robert Bodin.
World Dream cruise ship LEGO model
In April 2018, Dream Cruises completed the MS World Dream's LEGO ship. The replica was created from over 2,5 million LEGO bricks and is currently ranked the world's largest LEGO cruise ship. It weighs around 2,8 tons and has length 8,44 m (27,7 ft), width 1,33 m (4,4) and height 1,53 m (5 ft).
The cruise ship model was constructed by more than 1,000 people (company guests and the general public) led by Andy Hung - full-time artist working exclusively with LEGO blocks, and China's first LEGO certified professional. After 2 months of effort, the model was officially unveiled at Kai Tak Cruise Terminal (Hong Kong). Following the final measuring, Dream Cruises was presented with official "Guinness World Records" certificate.
Inaugural cruise itineraries 2017
After the official handover ceremony to Dream Cruises (October 26, 2017), the ship started a Europe-Asia relocation itinerary to Gibraltar, through the Mediterranean Sea and Suez Canal and across the Indian Ocean before ending at the dual homeports Hong Kong (November 17) and Nansha-Guangzhou (November 19).
In October 2017, Dream Cruises announced a new homeport deployment for World Dream - Singapore (Marina Bay Terminal). For November 26, 2017, was scheduled the inaugural 5-night itinerary roundtrip from Singapore and visiting Thailand (Penang and Phuket) and Burma (MacLeod Island / private island, famous for its Myanmar Andaman Resort). The ship's Singapore homeporting offers China fly-cruise deals for the top-luxury Asian travel market.
World Dream User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review