ms Maasdam Review and Specifications
Specifications of ms Maasdam
|Year built||1993 / Age : 25|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Marghera, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 180 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||Holland America Line|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||219 m / 719 ft|
|Beam (width)||30 m / 98 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||55575 gt|
|Passengers||1258 - 1510|
|Decks with cabins||5|
|Christened by||June Allyson|
Current itinerary of ms Maasdam
ms Maasdam current cruise is 47 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to Moorea Island. The itinerary starts on 10 Sep, 2018 and ends on 27 Oct, 2018.
Review of ms Maasdam
Launched in 1993, ms Maasdam is the 2nd Statendam (S-class) ship of Holland America, together with ms Statendam (transferred in 2015, renamed Pacific Eden), ms Ryndam (transferred in 2015, renamed Pacific Aria) and ms Veendam.
History - construction and ownership
Holland America Line (HAL) is a Seattle-based cruise company owned by Carnival Corporation (shipowner). Between 1873-1989, HAL was a Dutch cargo and passenger shipping company operating regular Transatlantic crossings between Holland and the Americas. HAL was founded in 1873 as "Dutch-American Steamship Company" headquartered in Rotterdam Netherlands. In 1989, HAL was acquired by Carnival Corporation for around EUR 530 million. Among company's assets are the Westmark hotel chain (Alaska-Yukon), Worldwide Shore Services (warehouses-logistics) and Half Moon Cay (Caribbean private island).
The 55,575-ton, 1,264-passenger cruise ship ms Maasdam deserves hats off for resisting some of the more thorough trends of the behemoth vessels (no surfing wave simulators or rock-climbing walls here), while stepping ahead on other fronts. Case in point is the vessel's state-of-the-art, New York Times-branded Explorations Coffee, there is also a combination of library and a digital fun room for the over 50 set (think touch-screen interactive computer maps, over-sized crossword puzzles). Maasdam cruise ship's latest refit, in April 2011, was part of HAL's 560 million dollars Signature of Excellence initiative which was focused on modernizing its oldest vessels. Together with new carpets, upholstery and soft goods, Maasdam gained 3 main amenities: a dinner-only Italian restaurant, 2 new kinds of cabin rooms, and the Mix Lounge, a 3-in-1 bar central with each venue offering a particular type of drink and flowing into the others. The new additions - particularly the alternative dining venues and bar places - help up Maasdam's "hip factor" with no detracting from any of the cruise's classic charm.
Cruise itinerary program
MS Maasdam itinerary program is based on Carribean cruises from Fort Lauderdale FL, Canada sailings from Quebec and Boston MA, as well as Europe voyages (Mediterranean), with Transatlantic repositioning crossings.
MS Maasdam has a total of 631 cabins (of which 149 Suites, no Balcony, 130 Inside, 32 Spa rooms) in 26 grades. Most ms Maasdam staterooms are 175-255-sq.foot oceanview rooms (352). Almost 25% of ship's accommodations have private balcony views. There are a total of 631 staterooms in 32 categories. 18 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard ms Maasdam are the Pinnacle Suites (935 ft2). There are also Spa cabins (8) and Spa suites (8).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Maasdam's restaurants include the Rotterdam Dining Room, the Lido buffet, and the intimate Pinnacle Grill. There is also a casual poolside option for hot dogs and burgers, a coffee bar, and complimentary room service round-the-clock (from hot breakfast choices to dinner selections). The Lido buffet is efficient and has great sea views through its floor-to-ceiling windows. The buffet serves continental breakfast from 6:30 a.m., full breakfast (7-11 a.m.); lunch (11 a.m.-2 p.m.); and dinner (6-7:30 p.m.) Hours are adjusted during embarkation/debarkation and on port days. There are extended hours for ice cream, sandwiches or late-night offerings. Tea and coffee are available at the Lido at all times. The lines are manageable, even at peak times, with lots of available tables.
Follows the complete list of ms Maasdam restaurants and food bars.
- Pinnacle Grill (64-seat reservations-only seafood/steakhouse restaurant with fine wines selection; free for passengers under 12 yo). The venue transforms into “An Evening at le Cirque” once per cruise via partnership with NYC “Le Cirque” French restaurant.
- Rotterdam Restaurant (792-seat, aft Dining Room; features open seating Breakfast and Lunch, two Dinner options – 2 fixed seatings or “Any Time” dining between 5:15 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- Terrace Grill (fast food pool bar; complimentary)
- Lido Restaurant (375-seat complimentary buffet restaurant; offers self-service Breakfast 6:00 a.m. -11 a.m., Lunch 11:30 p.m. - 2 p.m., Afternoon Tea, and Dinner 5:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.)
- Canaletto Restaurant (Lido Restaurant annex; operates as Italian restaurant for Dinner, reservations required).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
By day there are trivia games, Bridge, Bingo, Sudoku, movies, cooking demos and mixology classes. Poolside bands play various music on sailaways and sea days. The New York Times-sponsored Explorations Cafe is ship's active hub throughout the day and evening. It holds more than 2,000 books plus a host of periodicals and DVD library. There are write-on/wipe-off crossword puzzle tables, touch-screen interactive maps and a cubby of puzzles and games. An adjacent card room and computer/Internet stations are also available. Other amenities include: complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service, Supervised Kids Program ("Club Hal"), cruise ship weddings, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry.
Follows the complete list of ms Maasdam lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Atrium (3-deck high midship open-floor area with live performances)
- Promenade Deck, Walking Track (jogging is not permitted)
- The Showroom at Sea (600-seat theater/main show lounge; also serves Holland America’s enrichment program (via partnership with BBC Earth)
- Queen’s Room (42-seat meeting room, hosts digital workshops via Microsoft partnership, computer classes, social networks, blogging, photo editing)
- Photo Gallery & Shop; Art Gallery
- Wine Tasting Bar, Gourmet Shops (bottles available for purchasing, wine sampling)
- Wajang Theatre & Culinary Arts Centre (210-seat cinema; offers culinary classes and cooking shows presented in demonstration kitchens)
- Atrium Terrace with boutiques; Atrium Shops (boutiques for duty-free tobaccos and liquor, perfumes, watches, clothing, HAL logo merchandise, souvenirs); Marabella Luxury Shop
- Ocean Bar (121-seat Atrium bar and lounge, with dance floor and stage for live performances)
- Casino (served by Casino Bar and Sports Bar)
- Hudson Room (60-seat meeting room; used as Cards Room)
- Half Moon Room (90-seat meeting room)
- MIX Lounge (has 3 parts, with live music and trivia games)
- Explorations Cafe (85-seat specialty coffee bar and patisserie; also serves as ship’s Library and Online Centre/Internet computers room)
- Explorer’s Lounge & Bar (61-seat lounge with bar; classical concert performances)
- Neptune Lounge (24-seat club venue for Deluxe Suite and Pinnacle guests only)
- Fitness Center (gym with separate Aerobics Room); 2 jacuzzis
- Greenhouse Spa & Salon; Lido Pool area, served by Lido Bar and Terrace Grill; Sea View Pool area served by Sea View Bar
- Crow’s Nest (291-seat observation lounge; bar and dance floor; becomes disco at night)
- Tennis Court; Basketball Court; Shuffleboard
- Club HAL (kids lounge, complimentary youth programming)
- The Loft (teens club lounge area, with Video Games Arcade, computers, PlayStations; teen disco)
- The Oasis (40-seat teen-only outdoor area).
ms Maasdam wiki
- ms Maasdam cruise ship is of the line's S-class vessel. Being the 3rd oldest ship in the fleet (2nd in her class), Maasdam's sisters are the Holland America ships Veendam, Ryndam (now Pacific Aria), Statendam (now Pacific Eden).
- Named after the Maas River (Holland). Maasdam cruise ship's Maiden Voyage was on January 1, 1993. When launched this class vessels were some of the most advanced passenger ships in the world.
- Holland America's Maasdam is the 5th vessel servicing this company with the same name. Each suite has a private balcony. In its Atrium area there's the "Totem" sculpture (by Luciano Vistosi) of ~2000 pieces of glass. From the list of the ship's expansive art collection - 7 Japanese iron teapots & 1 charcoal brazier (all are from the Edo period).
ms Maasdam - user reviews and comments
Photos of ms MaasdamAdd Photo
ms Maasdam ship related cruise news
Other Holland America cruise ships
ms Maasdam Itineraries
The below listed ms Maasdam cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Holland America fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 Sep 10||47 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to Moorea Island||Fort Lauderdale|
|2018 Sep 10||33 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to Moorea Island||Fort Lauderdale|
|2018 Oct 14||13 days, one-way from Papeete to Moorea Island||Papeete|
|2018 Oct 28||29 days, one-way from Papeete to Auckland||Papeete||$2599|
|2018 Oct 28||13 days, one-way from Papeete to Moorea Island||Papeete||$1649|
|2018 Nov 11||27 days, one-way from Papeete to Auckland||Papeete||$1899|
|2018 Nov 11||15 days, one-way from Papeete to Auckland||Papeete||$799|
|2018 Nov 26||12 days, round-trip New Zealand & Beyond||Auckland||$799|
|2018 Dec 08||29 days, one-way from Auckland to Fremantle||Auckland||$2449|
|2018 Dec 08||13 days, one-way from Auckland to Sydney||Auckland||$999|
|2018 Dec 21||36 days, one-way from Sydney to Singapore||Sydney||$3349|
|2018 Dec 21||16 days, one-way from Sydney to Fremantle||Sydney||$1699|
|2019 Jan 06||40 days, one-way from Fremantle to Singapore||Fremantle||$4699|
|2019 Jan 06||20 days, one-way from Fremantle to Singapore||Fremantle||$2199|
|2019 Jan 26||40 days, round-trip Indian Ocean & Southeast Asia Explorer||Singapore||$4699|
|2019 Jan 26||20 days, round-trip Indian Ocean Explorer||Singapore||$2999|
|2019 Feb 15||41 days, one-way from Singapore to Brisbane||Singapore||$4049|
|2019 Feb 15||20 days, round-trip Southeast Asia Highlights||Singapore||$2199|
|2019 Mar 07||38 days, one-way from Singapore to Auckland||Singapore||$3949|
|2019 Mar 07||21 days, one-way from Singapore to Brisbane||Singapore||$2299|
|2019 Mar 28||40 days, one-way from Brisbane to San Francisco||Brisbane||$4599|
|2019 Mar 28||17 days, one-way from Brisbane to Auckland||Brisbane||$2099|
|2019 Apr 14||23 days, one-way from Auckland to San Francisco||Auckland||$2999|
|2019 May 07||21 days, round-trip Ultimate Alaska & Pacific Northwest Adventurer||San Francisco||$3399|
|2019 May 28||21 days, round-trip Ultimate Alaska & Pacific Northwest Adventurer||San Francisco||$3449|
|2019 Jun 18||43 days, one-way from San Francisco to Yokohama||San Francisco||$6249|
|2019 Jun 18||21 days, round-trip Ultimate Alaska & Pacific Northwest Adventurer||San Francisco||$3599|
|2019 Jul 09||36 days, one-way from San Francisco to Yokohama||San Francisco||$5009|
|2019 Jul 09||22 days, one-way from San Francisco to Yokohama||San Francisco||$3129|
|2019 Jul 12||33 days, one-way from Seattle to Yokohama||Seattle||$4909|
|2019 Jul 12||19 days, one-way from Seattle to Yokohama||Seattle||$2979|
|2019 Jul 31||14 days, round-trip Land Of The Rising Sun||Yokohama||$2399|
|2019 Aug 14||43 days, one-way from Yokohama to Sydney||Yokohama||$5829|
|2019 Aug 14||14 days, round-trip Land Of The Rising Sun||Yokohama||$2329|
|2019 Aug 28||29 days, one-way from Yokohama to Sydney||Yokohama||$4099|
|2019 Sep 26||51 days, round-trip Australia Circumnavigation & New Zealand Collector||Sydney||$9009|
|2019 Sep 26||21 days, round-trip New Zealand & Coral Sea Odyssey||Sydney||$3699|
|2019 Sep 26||11 days, one-way from Sydney to Auckland||Sydney||$2229|
|2019 Oct 07||40 days, one-way from Auckland to Sydney||Auckland||$7449|
|2019 Oct 17||30 days, round-trip Australia Circumnavigation||Sydney||$5799|
|2019 Nov 16||37 days, round-trip Australia, Melanesia & The Pacific Islands Collector||Sydney||$5319|
|2019 Nov 16||17 days, round-trip Australia & Melanesia||Sydney||$2699|
|2019 Dec 03||34 days, round-trip Pacific Islands & Southern Australian Holiday||Sydney||$5559|
|2019 Dec 03||20 days, round-trip Pacific Islands Adventure||Sydney||$2899|
|2019 Dec 23||28 days, one-way from Sydney to Auckland||Sydney||$4739|
|2019 Dec 23||14 days, round-trip Southern Australian Holiday||Sydney||$2899|
|2020 Jan 06||28 days, one-way from Sydney to Auckland||Sydney||$4269|
|2020 Jan 06||14 days, one-way from Sydney to Auckland||Sydney||$2099|
|2020 Jan 20||14 days, round-trip New Zealand Navigator||Auckland||$2399|
|2020 Feb 03||13 days, one-way from Auckland to Sydney||Auckland||$2399|
|2020 Feb 16||27 days, one-way from Sydney to Moorea Island||Sydney||$4659|
|2020 Feb 16||14 days, one-way from Sydney to Auckland||Sydney||$2499|
|2020 Mar 01||33 days, one-way from Auckland to San Diego||Auckland||$5039|
|2020 Mar 01||13 days, one-way from Auckland to Moorea Island||Auckland||$2399|
|2020 Mar 15||31 days, one-way from Papeete to San Diego||Papeete||$4369|
|2020 Mar 15||19 days, one-way from Papeete to San Diego||Papeete||$2899|
|2020 Apr 03||12 days, round-trip Mexico Sea Of Cortez||San Diego||$1699|
|2020 Apr 15||18 days, one-way from San Diego to Vancouver||San Diego||$2399|
|2020 Apr 15||12 days, round-trip Mexico Sea Of Cortez||San Diego||$1699|
|2020 Apr 27||6 days, one-way from San Diego to Vancouver||San Diego||$599|
|2020 May 03||1 day, one-way from Vancouver to Seattle||Vancouver||$99|