ms Maasdam current position
ms Maasdam current location is at East Mediterranean (coordinates 34.69564 N / 33.16599 E) cruising en route to CY LIM. The AIS position was reported 1 minute ago.Current Position
Specifications of ms Maasdam
|Year built||1993 / Age: 27|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Marghera, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 180 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||Holland America Line|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||219 m / 719 ft|
|Beam (width)||30 m / 98 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||55575 gt|
|Passengers||1258 - 1510|
|Decks with cabins||5|
|Sister-ships||MS Ryndam (CMV Ida Pfeiffer), MS Statendam (CMV Vasco da Gama), MS Veendam|
|Christened by||June Allyson|
ms Maasdam Review
Review of ms Maasdam
IMPORTANT: in July 2020, Carnival Corporation (via Holland America Line) sold 4 liners. MS Amsterdam and MS Rotterdam were sold to Fred Olsen Cruise Lines (to be renamed "MS Bolette" and "MS Borealis"). MS Maasdam and MS Veendam were sold to an undisclosed buyer (yet to be announced). All scheduled for the 4 ships cruises were cancelled or assumed by other HAL ships.
- A total of 32x Holland America Maasdam ship cruises were cancelled (October 7, 2020, through September 27, 2021), including 64-43-31-day Transpacific repositioning (San Diego to Sydney NSW), 33-day Australia Circumnavigation roundtrip from Sydney (2021 Nov 19 through Dec 22), 13-day Southern Australian Holiday (Dec 2021), 20-40-day repositioning (Sydney to Singapore), 20-day Indian Ocean Explorer roundtrip from Singapore (Malaysia-Thailand-Sri Lanka-Maldives / 2021 Jan 24-Feb 13), Transpacific repositioning crossings (19-day Singapore to Sydney, 43-day Singapore to San Diego, 24-36-day Sydney to San Diego), 10-12-day Mexico Sea Of Cortez roundtrips from San Diego, 4-day Alaska repositioning (San Diego to Vancouver), and Alaskan voyages roundtrip from Vancouver BC (14-day Great Alaskan Explorer and 7-day Alaskan Inside Passage, 2021 May 3 through Sept 27).
History - construction and ownership
Holland America Line (HAL) is a Seattle-based cruise company owned by Carnival Corporation (shipowner). Between 1873-1989, HAL was a Dutch cargo and passenger shipping company operating regular Transatlantic crossings between Holland and the Americas. HAL was founded in 1873 as "Dutch-American Steamship Company" headquartered in Rotterdam Netherlands. In 1989, HAL was acquired by Carnival Corporation for around EUR 530 million. Among the company's assets are the Westmark hotel chain (Alaska-Yukon), Worldwide Shore Services (warehouses-logistics) and Half Moon Cay (Caribbean private island).
The 55,575-ton, 1,264-passenger cruise ship ms Maasdam deserves hats off for resisting some of the more thorough trends of the behemoth vessels (no surfing wave simulators or rock-climbing walls here) while stepping ahead on other fronts. Case in point is the vessel's state-of-the-art, New York Times-branded Explorations Coffee, there is also a combination of library and a digital fun room for the over 50 set (think touch-screen interactive computer maps, over-sized crossword puzzles). Maasdam cruise ship's latest refit, in April 2011, was part of HAL's 560 million dollars Signature of Excellence initiative which was focused on modernizing its oldest vessels. Together with new carpets, upholstery and soft goods, Maasdam gained 3 main amenities: a dinner-only Italian restaurant, 2 new kinds of cabin rooms, and the Mix Lounge, a 3-in-1 bar central with each venue offering a particular type of drink and flowing into the others. The new additions - particularly the alternative dining venues and bar places - help up Maasdam's "hip factor" with no detracting from any of the cruise's classic charm.
Cruise itinerary program
MS Maasdam itinerary program is based on Carribean cruises from Fort Lauderdale FL, Canada sailings from Quebec and Boston MA, as well as Europe voyages (Mediterranean), with Transatlantic repositioning crossings.
MS Maasdam has a total of 631 cabins (of which 149 Suites, no Balcony, 130 Inside, 32 Spa rooms) in 26 grades. Most ms Maasdam staterooms are 175-255-sq.foot oceanview rooms (352). Almost 25% of ship's accommodations have private balcony views. There are a total of 631 staterooms in 32 categories. 18 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard ms Maasdam are the Pinnacle Suites (935 ft2). There are also Spa cabins (8) and Spa suites (8).
Implemented fleetwide in 2019, "Club Orange" program provides exclusive amenities to Suite passengers booked in categories Neptune and Pinnacle. Bonus perks by this program include:
- priority services (check-in, disembarkation, tendering, dining reservations)
- 24-hour concierge service (assistance, information, reservations)
- exclusive dining venue (serving complimentary Pinnacle Grill breakfast and Dining Room dinner, plus exclusive dishes)
- dedicated Concierge Desk (Guest Services and Tours)
- room service (a la carte breakfast menu with complimentary gourmet dishes - including smoked salmon, steak and eggs)
- sparkling wine (embarkation day), Club Orange tote bag, premium bathrobes (cabin use, available for monogramming and purchasing).
- Club Orange Restaurant is part of the Main Dining Room (designed as separate VIP dining section).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Maasdam's restaurants include the Rotterdam Dining Room, the Lido buffet, and the intimate Pinnacle Grill. There is also a casual poolside option for hot dogs and burgers, a coffee bar, and complimentary room service round-the-clock (from hot breakfast choices to dinner selections). The Lido buffet is efficient and has great sea views through its floor-to-ceiling windows. The buffet serves continental breakfast from 6:30 a.m., full breakfast (7-11 a.m.); lunch (11 a.m.-2 p.m.); and dinner (6-7:30 p.m.) Hours are adjusted during embarkation/debarkation and on port days. There are extended hours for ice cream, sandwiches or late-night offerings. Tea and coffee are available at the Lido at all times. The lines are manageable, even at peak times, with lots of available tables.
Follows the complete list of ms Maasdam restaurants and food bars.
- Pinnacle Grill (64-seat reservations-only seafood/steakhouse restaurant with fine wines selection; free for passengers under 12 yo). The venue transforms into “An Evening at le Cirque” once per cruise via a partnership with NYC “Le Cirque” French restaurant.
- Rotterdam Restaurant (792-seat, aft Dining Room; features open seating Breakfast and Lunch, two Dinner options – 2 fixed seatings or “Any Time” dining between 5:15 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- Terrace Grill (fast food pool bar; complimentary)
- Lido Restaurant (375-seat complimentary buffet restaurant; offers self-service Breakfast 6:00 a.m. -11 a.m., Lunch 11:30 p.m. - 2 p.m., Afternoon Tea, and Dinner 5:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.)
- Canaletto Restaurant (Lido Restaurant annexe; operates as an Italian restaurant for Dinner, reservations required).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
By day there are trivia games, Bridge, Bingo, Sudoku, movies, cooking demos and mixology classes. Poolside bands play various music on sail-aways and sea days. The New York Times-sponsored Explorations Cafe is ship's active hub throughout the day and evening. It holds more than 2,000 books plus a host of periodicals and DVD library. There are write-on/wipe-off crossword puzzle tables, touch-screen interactive maps and a cubby of puzzles and games. An adjacent card room and computer/Internet stations are also available. Other amenities include: complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service, Supervised Kids Program ("Club Hal"), cruise ship weddings, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry.
Follows the complete list of ms Maasdam lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Atrium (3-deck high midship open-floor area with live performances)
- Promenade Deck, Walking Track (jogging is not permitted)
- The Showroom at Sea (600-seat theatre/main show lounge; also serves Holland America’s enrichment program (via a partnership with BBC Earth)
- Queen’s Room (42-seat meeting room, hosts digital workshops via Microsoft partnership, computer classes, social networks, blogging, photo editing)
- Photo Gallery & Shop; Art Gallery
- Wine Tasting Bar, Gourmet Shops (bottles available for purchasing, wine sampling)
- Wajang Theatre & Culinary Arts Centre (210-seat cinema; offers culinary classes and cooking shows presented in demonstration kitchens)
- Atrium Terrace with boutiques; Atrium Shops (boutiques for duty-free tobaccos and liquor, perfumes, watches, clothing, HAL logo merchandise, souvenirs); Marabella Luxury Shop
- Ocean Bar (121-seat Atrium bar and lounge, with dance floor and stage for live performances)
- Casino (served by Casino Bar and Sports Bar)
- Hudson Room (60-seat meeting room; used as Cards Room)
- Half Moon Room (90-seat meeting room)
- MIX Lounge (has 3 parts, with live music and trivia games)
- Explorations Cafe (85-seat speciality coffee bar and patisserie; also serves as ship’s Library and Online Centre/Internet computers room)
- Explorer’s Lounge & Bar (61-seat lounge with bar; classical concert performances)
- Neptune Lounge (24-seat club venue for Deluxe Suite and Pinnacle guests only)
- Fitness Center (gym with separate Aerobics Room); 2 jacuzzis
- Greenhouse Spa & Salon; Lido Pool area, served by Lido Bar and Terrace Grill; Sea View Pool area served by Sea View Bar
- Crow’s Nest (291-seat observation lounge; bar and dance floor; becomes disco at night)
- Tennis Court; Basketball Court; Shuffleboard
- Club HAL (kids lounge, complimentary youth programming)
- The Loft (teens club lounge area, with Video Games Arcade, computers, PlayStations; teen disco)
- The Oasis (40-seat teen-only outdoor area).
ms Maasdam - user reviews and comments
Photos of ms MaasdamAdd Photo
ms Maasdam ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
The Carnival Corporation-owned company HAL-Holland America Line announced that its cruise liners Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Maasdam and Veendam are sold...July 16, 2020
- Cruise Industry
The CEO of the world’s largest cruise company, Carnival Corporation, on Friday (July 10) revealed that its 9 cruise brands would remove 13...July 11, 2020
- Cruise Industry
HAL-Holland America Line extended its cruise suspension, issuing a list of cancelled Hawaii, Panama Canal, US Pacific Coastal and South American...June 12, 2020
Carnival Corporation-owned companies Princess, Holland America and Seabourn extended fleetwide passenger shipping operations through and...April 16, 2020
Holland America Line's liner ms Maasdam arrived at Port San Diego on Thursday, March 26, with 800+ passengers. San Diego Port Authority...March 27, 2020
Two cruise liners are due to dock at Honolulu Harbor Hawaii at the end of the week but their passengers will not be allowed to disembark. Both...March 19, 2020
The Hawke's Bay Rescue Helicopter service was brought into an emergency involving a cruise ship off the east coast of the North Island. A long-haul...February 5, 2020
- Cruise Industry
In a first for the region, Port Nelson NZ will see the arrival of 2 simultaneous cruise ships on Sunday, January 26. The two liners, RSSC-Regent's...January 24, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Holland America Line announced new itineraries for the 2019-2020 cruising season aboard ms Maasdam. Ranging from 7- to 30-days, MS Maasdam cruise...September 21, 2019
- Cruise Industry
It was a major milestone for Port Alberni (Vancouver Island, Canada) on Saturday, May 25. For the first time in 6 years, the city welcomed a cruise...May 26, 2019
- show more news
Other Holland America cruise ships
ms Maasdam Wiki
Maasdam is Holland America's S-class vessel and fleet's 3rd oldest ship (2nd in its class) with sisterships Veendam, Ryndam, Statendam. Named after Maas River (Holland), ship's Inaugural Cruise/Maiden Voyage was on January 1, 1993. When launched, these liners were some of the most advanced passenger ships in the world.
Maasdam is HAL's 5th vessel with this name. Each cruise suite has a private balcony. In the Atrium is located the "Totem" sculpture (by Luciano Vistosi) consisting of 2000+ pieces of glass. Ship's expansive art collection includes 7x Japanese iron teapots and 1x charcoal brazier (all are from Japan's Edo period).
ms Maasdam User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review