MS Bremen Review and Specifications
Specifications of MS Bremen
|Year built||1990 / Age : 28|
|Builder||Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (Kobe, Japan)|
|Speed||16 kn / 30 kph / 18 mph|
|Length (LOA)||111 m / 364 ft|
|Beam (width)||17 m / 56 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||6752 gt|
|Decks with cabins||6|
|Former names||Frontier Spirit|
Review of MS Bremen
MS Bremen cruise ship was built in 1990 as "Frontier Spirit" at Mitsubishi Shipyard in Kobe, Japan and has been operated by Hapag Lloyd company since 1993. In 2003 the Bremen ship discovered a previously uncharted Antarctic island, later named Bremen Island. MS Bremen was successfully featured in the Killer Waves TV show. In 2006, the liner did Northwest Passage cruise using real-time satellite data about sea ice locations.
History - construction and ownership
Hapag-Lloyd Cruises (Kreuzfahrten) is Hamburg-based cruise company, subsidiary of Hapag-Lloyd AG (shipowner) - currently ranked world's 5th largest container shipping line in terms of fleet capacity. Until 2017, HL Cruises was fully-owned subsidiary of Europe's leading travel group TUI AG.
The 6,752-ton, 164-passenger cruise ms Bremen was damaged during a storm in the Southern Atlantic in March 2001. The cruise ship was unable to continue with its own power for 2 hours. 137 German tourists were aboard the vessel at the moment of the incident. There was a great danger MS Bremen to sink without its own power. Crew members knew that even with the lifeboats, the passengers would not had survived in the harsh freezing conditions. The crew managed to restart the engines and the cruise ship escaped the sea trap.
Cruise itinerary program
MS Bremen itinerary program is based on South America cruises to Amazon River and Antarctica, Europe (Iceland and Norway) and Caribbean, with Transatlantic repositioning crossings.
MS Bremen has a total of 80 cabins (all of which Oceanview, 16 Balcony, 2 Suites) in 7 grades. Staterooms onboard feature luxurious amenities like dvd player, flat screen television, individual air conditioning, minibar, in-room safe and plush bathrobe. All staterooms are outside. Handicapped accessible cabins are also available. The suites feature balconies and private sitting areas.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
MS Bremen dining options include the Restaurant, featuring open seating breakfast and lunch and the more casual Lido Grill.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Enjoy exciting expert-guided shore excursions during the day. Nordic walking sticks, bicycles, kayaks and snorkeling gear are at hand for excursions. Lectures are hosted daily on board ms Bremen in the Panorama Lounge. The ship additionally has Bremen Club, two bars and Beauty parlour. A mini boutique carries gifts, and an Internet centre boasts microscopes and PC workstations. The fitness centre has cardio equipment and offers great ocean views. The Sun deck, swimming pool and sauna are perfect for relax after a day of exploring.
MS Bremen wiki
- Bremen is the smallest cruise ship in Hapag Lloyd's cruise fleet, but also the toughest vessel of them all. It has the highest ice-class (E4 ice rating) awarded to a passenger ship and is well-equipped to glide among the Arctic's and Antarctica's glaciers.
- MS Bremen provides a contingent of 12 zodiacs, so passengers can easily become part of the surrounding nature. These small boats are launched at all hours, day and night, during voyages close to the poles.
- Fun fact is, that in 2003, a previously uncharted island was discovered in the Antarctica by ms Bremen. It was named "Bremen Island" the next year. Another one is, that this Hapag Lloyd cruise ship was featured in the "Killer Waves" TV show.
- In 2006, helped by satellite images of sea ice, the cruise ship sailed on the Northwest Passage (Canadian Arctic) route connecting the Atlantic Ocean with the Pacific Ocean.
- Bremen was the world's first ever cruise ship with a Northwest Passage Cruise itinerary. In 2011, the vessel crossed the Passage from Kangerlussuaq Greenland to Nome Alaska. In 2012, MS Hanseatic (now RCGS Resolute) made a full transit with a 25-days itinerary leaving from Nome AK (on August 14) and ending in Reykjavik Iceland (on September 7).
- In August 2017, MS Bremen became the world's first ever cruise vessel with "Polar Code" (Polar Ship Certificate) that allows it to operate in polar regions. All its fleetmates were also due to receive the certificate by Hapag-Lloyd’s 2018 Arctic season. Polar Code (adopted by IMO) contains regulations abot polar cruise vessels' construction and onboard equipment, as well as crew training requirements. In 2017, as part of the HL fleet's routine drydocks, all ships met Polar Code's requirements and received polar ship certificates. MS Bremen was scheduled to operate 3 Arctic cruises (2018-2019 season), including one Northeast Passage (summer 2018).
- Since January 2019, ship's Captain is Ulf Sodemann - with Hapag-Lloyd AG (company's containership division) since 2005.
MS Bremen - user reviews and comments
Photos of MS BremenAdd Photo
MS Bremen ship related cruise news
A polar bear was shot on Saturday, July 28, after it attacked a bear guard who was leading tourists off a Hapag-Lloyd Cruises ship close to the North...July 30, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Hapag-Lloyd’s 4-star expedition cruise ship, ms Bremen, became one of the world's first passenger vessels to receive Polar Ship...August 17, 2017
- show more news
Other Hapag-Lloyd Cruises cruise ships
MS Bremen Itineraries
The below listed MS Bremen cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Hapag-Lloyd Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 Nov 22||19 days, one-way from Papeete to Valparaiso||Papeete||$6370|
|2018 Dec 17||18 days, one-way from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires||Valparaiso||$8707|
|2019 Jan 04||19 days, round-trip Expedition Antarctica: nursery in the eternal ice||Buenos Aires||$9450|
|2019 Jan 22||19 days, round-trip Expedition Antarctica: fulfil one lifelong dream||Buenos Aires||$9823|
|2019 Feb 10||21 days, round-trip Expedition Antarctica: fulfil one lifelong dream||Buenos Aires||$9823|
|2019 Mar 01||17 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso||Buenos Aires||$5758|
|2019 Mar 16||19 days, one-way from Valparaiso to Colon||Valparaiso||$5667|
|2019 Apr 03||15 days, round-trip Expedition to both sides of the Panama Canal||Colon||$4890|
|2019 Apr 17||13 days, one-way from Colon to Ponta Delgada||Colon||$2394|