CMV (Cruise and Maritime Voyages)
Magellan Review and Specifications
Specifications of Magellan
|Year built||1985 / Age : 33|
|Builder||Aalborg Vaerft Aktieselskab AS (Aalborg, Denmark)|
|Owner||Global Maritime Group Inc|
|Operator||CMV (Cruise and Maritime Voyages)|
|Speed||21 kn / 39 kph / 24 mph|
|Length (LOA)||221 m / 725 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||46052 gt|
|Passengers||1250 - 1452|
|Decks with cabins||9|
|Former names||MS Holiday (Carnival), Grand Holiday (IberoCruises)|
|Christened by||Gloria Hunniford|
Review of Magellan
CMV Magellan cruise ship is a Holiday-class vessel initially operated by Carnival Cruise Line as MS Holiday. It joined CMV's fleet in Spring 2015. As former Carnival "Fun Ship", Magellan still retains the distinctive funnel shape.
History - construction and ownership
The chartered by CMV 46,052-ton, 1,452-passenger cruise ship ms Magellan belongs to the Holiday-class of cruise ships. The ship was previously operated not only by Carnival, but also by Iberocruceros as “MS Grand Holiday”.
A renovation was needed for the cruise ship, because of her condition and the vessel was sent to dry docks for renovation in 2003. Two years later, during the natural phenomenon Hurricane Katrina, the cruise service was temporary interrupted in order to serve as a shelter for those suffered from the storm. After the disaster, the Grand Holiday left the Mississippi river and was sent again to dry dock for renovations. Engineers and designers worked for several weeks under changes over the propellers and the addition of new carpeting and plumbing. The Grand Holiday was transferred to Iberocruceros' fleet.
Curious fact is that as "MS Grand Holiday", the vessel was chartered as hotel ship in Port Sochi Russia during 2014 Winter Olympics (February 5-24, 2014). As "CMV Magellan", the vessel was again chartered as hotel ship in Newport Wales (South Dock) during 2017 UEFA Champions League Final in Cardiff (June 2017).
In February 2017, Damen Shiprepair Amsterdam (part of DSC / Damen Shiprepair & Conversion), completed maintenance works on cruise ships Magellan and Marco Polo. Both vessels are currently operated by British based CMV (Cruise & Maritime Voyages), part of Global Maritime Group.
Cruise itinerary program
MS Magellan itinerary program is based on Western Europe and Baltic Sea cruises, departing from UK ports, including Dundee, Newcastle, Harwich. Magellan will operate a series of voyages to Norway and the Canary islands and a 42-night cruise to Brazil in winter 2017-2018 from Tilbury-London.
(new) CMV Mexican cruise brand "Cruceros Maritimos Vacacionales"
On December 19, 2017, CMV announced Magellan cruise ship's 2019 winter deployment to Mexican Riviera (Pacific Mexico).
- The ship starts operations on February 3 (2019) under a new company brand name - "Cruceros Marítimos Vacacionales".
- The 7-day cruise itinerary program (February through March 2019) offers roundtrips from both Acapulco and Manzanillo. The roundtrip itinerary departs on Sundays and visits the Pacific Mexico's ports Cabo San Lucas (Baja California), Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Manzanillo, and has 2 sea days.
- Sunday departures allow passengers to spend overnight in Acapulco (by booking pre- and post-cruise packages combining up to 5-day land stay (hotels and tours) with the 7-day cruise.
- The average 7-day cruise prices start from USD 700 pp (MXN 14,000 / Mexican pesos).
- Maiden 2019 season's total passenger capacity was estimated at 12,000. For 2019, the ship will operate a total of ten 7-day voyages. CMV has plans to extend season 2020 to 5 months, eventually deploying the liner in Mexico for year-round operations.
- CMV opened a sales office in Mexico City in April 2018. It is expected that 80-85% of the embarking passengers will be Mexican.
MS Magellan has 9 passenger decks and 726 cabins in 15 grades, of which 14 Balcony Suites, 277 Inside and 449 Oceanview.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
MS Magellan dining rooms include Waldorf and Kensington Restaurants, both featuring open seating breakfast and lunch, as well as two fixed time sittings for dinner. Raffle’s Bistro provides more informal experience.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
There are no “modern time” amenities on board CMV Magellan, like ice-skating rink or climbing wall. The ship is a typical adults-only (child-free) cruising vessel for passengers 16-years and above. Magellan's Lounges & Bars include Magellan 2-deck Main Show Lounge, Neptune Observation Bar, Lido Bar, Eros Bar, Scott’s Nightclub, Hampton’s Lounge Bar, Sinatra’s Lounge Bar, Captain’s Club, Nansen Card & Bridge Room and Internet Cafe. Other amenities include Jade Wellness Centre, Fitness Centre, 2 swimming pool, 3 jacuzzis, Sun Terrace, Casino Royale, Livingstone Library, Shackleton’s Conference Room, photo gallery and Shopping Galleria.
- MS Magellan is a cruise ship of Holiday class (owned as "MS Holiday" by Carnival Cruise Line) and as "MS Grand Holiday" (operated by Ibero Cruises). As a former Carnival ship, Magellan has the distinctive "Fun Ship" funnel shape.
- The vessel was transformed into a 4-star floating hotel during the Winter Olympics in Port Sochi Russia (February 5-24, 2014).
- On 3 November 2014, the CMV cruise company announced "ms Grand Holiday" joins its fleet in March 2015 under the name "ms Magellan". The ship offers cruises departing from UK ports (in Scotland and England) - Newcastle, Dundee, Tilbury-London.
- This CMV cruise ship is named after Ferdinand Magellan (Fernao de Magalhaes, 1480 - 1521) who was a Portuguese explorer who organised the Spanish sea expedition (between 1519 - 1522, westward route) to the East Indies. The voyage became the world's first circumnavigation of the planet, starting with a Transatlantic crossing to South America.
- The vessel's christening ceremony was on March 12, 2015, in Tilbury (London Cruise Terminal). The ship's new godmother was Mrs Gloria Hunniford - a presenter for Northern Ireland's ITV and BBC programs, with her own "BBC Radio 2" daily show.
- The 1985-built vessel was last refitted in 2010. CMV confirmed the purchase in November 2014.
- On March 15, 2015, departed the Inaugural Cruise (maiden voyage for CMV) to Iceland and Faroe Islands.
- Fun fact is that this CMV ship has a namesake - the 2010-launched "CMA CGM Magellan". The vessel is among the world's largest container ships (capacity 13,830 containers) and operated by CMA-CGM Line.
- In June 2017, the vessel was chartered to serve as "floating hotel" for Champions League Final's visitors in Newport Wales. CMV Magellan entered Newport on June 2. The docking area (South Dock's quayside) was transformed into events and activity space managed by Hopscotch Groupe (French company) on behalf of Nissan. The quayside events operation was co-organized also by CMV and ABP South Wales. The sporting event (2017 UEFA Champions League Final) was held at National Stadium of Wales (Cardiff).
- In 2019, the ship started Mexican Riviera cruises under a new CMV brand name - "Cruceros Marítimos Vacacionales". The 7-day itinerary program (February through March 2019) offered roundtrips from both Acapulco and Manzanillo, with ports of call Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas (Baja California), plus 2 sea days. Maiden season's total passenger capacity was estimated at 12,000.
Magellan - user reviews and comments
Photos of MagellanAdd Photo
Magellan ship related cruise news
A male cruise passenger onboard a Cruise & Maritime Voyages ship in the Outer Hebrides has been airlifted from the vessel after suffering with...August 31, 2018
- Cruise Industry
CMV (Cruise and Maritime Voyages) offers 2 cricket themed cruises in October 2018. CMV Magellan departs from port Bristol on October 22 on...August 19, 2018
- Cruise Industry
CMV (Cruise & Maritime Voyages) is hosting a number of TV stars on voyages to Canary Islands and Madeira in October 2018. MS Magellan sails from...August 9, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Cruise and Maritime Voyages (CMV) released its Winter and Spring cruise program for 2019-2020. There are new itineraries, such as winter cruises to...July 9, 2018
- Cruise Industry
The British-based cruise company CMV will deploy its mv Magellan in winter 2019 to cater to Mexican locals who travel regionally. According to ...January 3, 2018
- Cruise Industry
British cruise operator CMV (CMV Travel & Leisure Group Limited) announced the deployment of 46,052 GT Magellan to Mexico's Pacific Coast for...December 20, 2017
- Cruise Industry
Cruise & Maritime Voyages' ms Magellan is filling about 65% of its capacity in Dundee, Scotland while the rest is taken up by...July 23, 2017
- Cruise Industry
Greenock is due to welcome 5 cruise ships in 4 days, beginning on Saturday, July 15, with a return call by Disney Magic. The...July 13, 2017
- show more news
Other CMV cruise ships
The below listed Magellan cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Cruise and Maritime Voyages fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 Oct 06||15 days, round-trip Canary Islands & Madeira||Cobh-Cork|
|2018 Oct 07||15 days, round-trip Canary Islands & Madeira||Bristol|
|2018 Oct 21||21 days, one-way from Cobh-Cork to London Greenwich||Cobh-Cork|
|2018 Oct 21||7 days, one-way from Cobh-Cork to London Greenwich||Cobh-Cork|
|2018 Oct 22||20 days, one-way from Bristol to London Greenwich||Bristol|
|2018 Oct 22||6 days, one-way from Bristol to London Greenwich||Bristol|
|2018 Oct 28||14 days, round-trip Land of the Northern Lights to Norway||London Greenwich|
|2018 Oct 29||13 days, one-way from Rotterdam to London Greenwich||Rotterdam|
|2018 Dec 09||3 days, round-trip Rouen & Honfleur Christmas Markets||London Greenwich|
|2018 Dec 12||2 days, round-trip Antwerp Christmas Market||London Greenwich|
|2018 Dec 16||36 days, one-way from London Greenwich to Puntarenas||London Greenwich|
|2018 Dec 16||25 days, one-way from London Greenwich to Cozumel||London Greenwich|
|2018 Dec 17||35 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Puntarenas||Amsterdam|
|2018 Dec 17||24 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Cozumel||Amsterdam|
|2019 Jan 10||11 days, one-way from Cozumel to Puntarenas||Cozumel|
|2019 Mar 31||32 days, one-way from Acapulco to London Greenwich||Acapulco|
|2019 Mar 31||32 days, one-way from Acapulco to Amsterdam||Acapulco|
|2019 Mar 31||10 days, one-way from Acapulco to Cozumel||Acapulco|
|2019 Apr 10||23 days, one-way from Cozumel to Amsterdam||Cozumel|
|2019 Apr 10||22 days, one-way from Cozumel to London Greenwich||Cozumel|
|2019 May 02||16 days, one-way from London Greenwich to Newcastle||London Greenwich|
|2019 May 02||2 days, one-way from London Greenwich to Newcastle||London Greenwich|
|2019 May 04||14 days, round-trip Baltic Cities & St Petersburg||Newcastle|
|2019 May 04||1 day, one-way from Newcastle to Dundee||Newcastle|
|2019 May 05||14 days, round-trip Baltic Cities & St Petersburg||Dundee|
|2019 May 18||7 days, round-trip Majestic Fjordland||Newcastle|
|2019 May 19||7 days, round-trip Majestic Fjordland||Dundee|
|2019 May 25||14 days, round-trip Baltic Cities & St Petersburg||Newcastle|
|2019 May 26||14 days, round-trip Baltic Cities & St Petersburg||Dundee|
|2019 Jun 08||13 days, round-trip Iceland, Faroes & Northern Isles||Newcastle|
|2019 Jun 09||13 days, round-trip Iceland, Faroes & Northern Isles||Dundee|
|2019 Jun 21||11 days, round-trip Round Britain & River Seine Experience||Newcastle|
|2019 Jun 22||11 days, round-trip Round Britain & River Seine Experience||Dundee|
|2019 Jul 02||7 days, one-way from Newcastle to Liverpool||Newcastle|
|2019 Jul 02||1 day, one-way from Newcastle to Dundee||Newcastle|
|2019 Jul 03||6 days, one-way from Dundee to Liverpool||Dundee|
|2019 Jul 09||11 days, round-trip Iceland & Faroes||Liverpool|
|2019 Jul 10||11 days, round-trip Iceland & Faroes||Dublin|
|2019 Jul 20||7 days, round-trip Summer Gardens & River Seine Experience||Liverpool|
|2019 Jul 21||7 days, round-trip Summer Gardens & River Seine Experience||Dublin|
|2019 Jul 27||12 days, round-trip Grand Fjordland Splendour||Liverpool|
|2019 Jul 28||12 days, round-trip Grand Fjordland Splendour||Dublin|
|2019 Aug 08||10 days, round-trip Spain, Portugal & Gibraltar||Liverpool|
|2019 Aug 09||10 days, round-trip Spain, Portugal & Gibraltar||Dublin|
|2019 Aug 18||11 days, round-trip Summertime Fjordland||Liverpool|
|2019 Aug 19||11 days, round-trip Summertime Fjordland||Dublin|
|2019 Aug 29||14 days, one-way from Liverpool to Bristol||Liverpool|
|2019 Aug 29||3 days, one-way from Liverpool to Bristol||Liverpool|
|2019 Aug 30||12 days, one-way from Dublin to Cobh-Cork||Dublin|
|2019 Sep 01||11 days, round-trip British Isles Discovery||Bristol|
|2019 Sep 11||12 days, round-trip Iceland’s Land of Ice & Fire||Cobh-Cork|
|2019 Sep 12||12 days, round-trip Iceland’s Land of Ice & Fire||Bristol|
|2019 Sep 23||16 days, round-trip Baltic Cities & St Petersburg||Cobh-Cork|
|2019 Sep 24||16 days, round-trip Baltic Cities & St Petersburg||Bristol|
|2019 Oct 09||3 days, one-way from Cobh-Cork to Dublin||Cobh-Cork|
|2019 Oct 10||3 days, one-way from Bristol to Liverpool||Bristol|
|2019 Oct 12||13 days, round-trip Iceland, Faroes & Land of the Northern Lights||Dublin|
|2019 Oct 13||13 days, round-trip Iceland, Faroes & Land of the Northern Lights||Liverpool|
|2019 Oct 25||7 days, round-trip River Seine Experience||Dublin|
|2019 Oct 27||6 days, round-trip River Seine Experience||Liverpool|
|2019 Nov 01||2 days, one-way from Dublin to Liverpool||Dublin|
|2019 Dec 08||4 days, round-trip French Festive Getaway||London Greenwich|
|2019 Dec 15||36 days, one-way from London Greenwich to Acapulco||London Greenwich|
|2019 Dec 15||26 days, one-way from London Greenwich to Cozumel||London Greenwich|
|2019 Dec 16||35 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Acapulco||Amsterdam|
|2019 Dec 16||25 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Cozumel||Amsterdam|
|2020 Jan 10||10 days, one-way from Cozumel to Acapulco||Cozumel|
|2020 Apr 19||35 days, one-way from Acapulco to Rotterdam||Acapulco|
|2020 Apr 19||34 days, one-way from Acapulco to London Greenwich||Acapulco|
|2020 Apr 19||11 days, one-way from Acapulco to Cozumel||Acapulco|
|2020 Apr 30||24 days, one-way from Cozumel to Rotterdam||Cozumel|
|2020 Apr 30||23 days, one-way from Cozumel to London Greenwich||Cozumel|
|2020 May 23||2 days, one-way from London Greenwich to Newcastle||London Greenwich|