ms Amsterdam Review and Specifications
Specifications of ms Amsterdam
|Year built||2000 / Age : 18|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Marghera, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 400 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||Holland America Line|
|Speed||25 kn / 46 kph / 29 mph|
|Length (LOA)||237 m / 778 ft|
|Beam (width)||31 m / 102 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||62735 gt|
|Passengers||1380 - 1656|
|Decks with cabins||5|
|Christened by||HRH Princess Margriet of the Netherlands|
Current itinerary of ms Amsterdam
ms Amsterdam current cruise is 89 days, one-way from Seattle to Los Angeles. The itinerary starts on 23 Sep, 2018 and ends on 21 Dec, 2018.
Review of ms Amsterdam
History - construction and ownership
Holland America Line (HAL) is a Seattle-based cruise company owned by Carnival Corporation (shipowner). Between 1873-1989, HAL was a Dutch cargo and passenger shipping company operating regular Transatlantic crossings between Holland and the Americas. HAL was founded in 1873 as "Dutch-American Steamship Company" headquartered in Rotterdam Netherlands. In 1989, HAL was acquired by Carnival Corporation for around EUR 530 million. Among company's assets are the Westmark hotel chain (Alaska-Yukon), Worldwide Shore Services (warehouses-logistics) and Half Moon Cay (Caribbean private island).
The 62,735-ton, 1,380-passenger cruise ship ms Amsterdam has a certain regal note, together with newer conveniences. Holland America travelers still have the opportunity for a set-seating dining, though open-seating is also accessible. The cruise liner supports the tradition to serve mugs of warm Dutch pea soup on deck to bundled-up, glacier-gazing cruisers. And the decor in lots of the public areas is anything but understated. An ornate clock in the 3-level atrium is as really a towering piece of art as it is a way to get the running time all over the world - one of the first amenities cruisers see on the vessel and a reminder that Holland America has not forgotten its roots. Size-wise, Amsterdam is solidly in the middle of the Holland America fleet, smaller than the line's Vista and Signature classes and carrying 700 passengers fewer than Eurodam, which is the largest in the lineup. Even on a full voyage, the cruise liner rarely feels crowded, except for the lunch rush at the casual Lido Restaurant on sea days and the irregular, fast-moving line in the La Fontaine basic dining room. The Sea View swimming pool, aft of the Lido Deck, is a quiet retreat that feels like a private oasis.
Cruise itinerary program
MS Amsterdam has a total of 691 cabins (of which 173 Suites, no Balcony, 133 Inside rooms) in 26 grades. Most ms Amsterdam staterooms are 140-320-sq.foot oceanview rooms (385). 25% of ship's accommodations have private balcony views. 20 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard ms Amsterdam are the Pinnacle Suites (1180 ft2).
Implemented fleetwide in 2019, "Club Orange" program provides exclusive amenities to Suite passengers booked in categories Neptune and Pinnacle. Bonus perks by this program include:
- priority services (check-in, disembarkation, tendering, dining reservations)
- 24-hour concierge service (assistance, information, reservations)
- exclusive dining venue (serving complimentary Pinnacle Grill breakfast and Dining Room dinner, plus exclusive dishes)
- dedicated Concierge Desk (Guest Services and Tours)
- room service (a la carte breakfast menu with complimentary gourmet dishes - including smoked salmon, steak and eggs)
- sparkling wine (embarkation day), Club Orange tote bag, premium bathrobes (cabin use, available for monogramming and purchasing).
- Club Orange Restaurant is part of the Main Dining Room (designed as separate VIP dining section).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
La Fontaine is ship's 2-level main restaurant venue, which serves open-seating breakfast and lunch, as well as a blend of flexible and set-seating restaurant-style meals at dinner. Breakfast hours in the MDR vary but start as early as 7:00 a.m. on port days and 8:00 a.m. on sea days, wrapping up by 9:30 a.m. Breakfast fare includes breads, cereals, French toast, blueberry pancakes, corned beef hash, egg dishes and yogurt parfaits. Portions are on the smaller side, so better opt for a second pastry. Lunch in the MDR is typically limited to an hour per day (from noon to 1:00 p.m. on sea days; closed when the ship is in port for an entire day). If you see a line of guests waiting to be seated, do not be deterred as the line moves fast and the tables are plenty. Lunch fare includes sandwiches, soups, light salads, fish and heartier entrees.
Follows the complete list of ms Amsterdam restaurants and food bars.
- Pinnacle Grill (86-seat reservations-only seafood/steakhouse restaurant with fine wines selection; free for passengers under 12 yo). The venue transforms into “An Evening at le Cirque” once per cruise via partnership with NYC “Le Cirque” French restaurant.
- La Fontaine Restaurant (835-seat, aft Dining Room; features open seating Breakfast and Lunch, two Dinner options – 2 fixed seatings or “Any Time” dining between 5:15 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- King’s Room / Queen’s Room (La Fontaine restaurant annex, reservations-only; for private dining)
- Terrace Grill (fast food pool bar; complimentary)
- Lido Restaurant (386-seat complimentary buffet restaurant; offers self-service Breakfast 6:00 a.m. -11 a.m., Lunch 11:30 p.m. - 2 p.m., Afternoon Tea, and Dinner 5:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.)
- Canaletto Restaurant (Lido Restaurant annex; operates as Italian restaurant for Dinner, reservations required).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Activities on ms Amsterdam kick off right after breakfast and go on through the evening hours. There are shows in Queen's Lounge twice per night, ranging from Vegas-style reviews to sets by magicians and comedians. The 2-level Queen's Lounge is quite opulent with its Bob Mackie gowns and a stage framed by a duo of large female statues. The bars onboard feature entertainment at different hours and guests might catch classical music in Explorer's Lounge and singing in Rembrandt's. Both the Ocean Bar and Explorer's are great for pre- or post-dinner cocktails. There is also a wine-tasting bar situated across from Culinary Arts Center (with very limited hours, usually open just an hour during port days and three hours while at sea). The Sports Bar is adjacent to the Casino, and is lightly visited. Other amenities include: complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service, Supervised Kids Program ("Club Hal"), cruise ship weddings, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry/Self-Serve Laundromats.
Follows the complete list of ms Amsterdam lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Atrium (3-deck high midship open-floor area with live performances)
- Promenade Deck, Walking Track (jogging is not permitted)
- Queen’s Lounge (568-seat theater/main show lounge; also serves Holland America’s enrichment program (via partnership with BBC Earth)
- Queen’s Room (La Fontaine annex used as a meeting room; hosts digital workshops via Microsoft partnership, computer classes, social networks, blogging, photo editing)
- Photo Gallery & Shop; Art Gallery
- Wine Tasting Bar, Gourmet Shops (bottles available for purchasing, wine sampling)
- Wajang Theatre & Culinary Arts Centre (124-seat cinema; offers culinary classes and cooking shows presented in demonstration kitchens)
- Atrium Terrace with boutiques; Atrium Shops (boutiques for duty-free tobaccos and liquor, perfumes, watches, clothing, HAL logo merchandise, souvenirs); Marabella Luxury Shop
- Ocean Bar (115-seat Atrium bar and lounge, with dance floor and stage for live performances)
- Monte Carlo Casino (served by Casino Bar and Sports Bar)
- Amstel Cafe (with dance floor and stage for live entertainment)
- Rembrandt Lounge (75-seat piano bar)
- Hudson Room (50-seat meeting room; used as Cards Room)
- Explorations Cafe (65-seat specialty coffee bar and patisserie; also serves as ship’s Library and Online Centre/Internet computers room)
- Explorer’s Lounge & Bar (89-seat lounge with bar; classical concert performances)
- Neptune Lounge (17-seat club venue for Deluxe Suite and Pinnacle guests only)
- Fitness Center (gym with separate Aerobics Room); 2 jacuzzis
- Greenhouse Spa & Salon; Lido Pool area, served by Lido Bar and Terrace Grill; Sea View Pool area served by Sea View Bar
- Crow’s Nest (218-seat observation lounge; bar and dance floor; becomes disco at night)
- Tennis Court; Basketball Court; Shuffleboard
- Club HAL (kids lounge, complimentary youth programming)
- The Loft (teens club lounge area, with Video Games Arcade, computers, PlayStations; teen disco)
- The Oasis (40-seat teen-only outdoor area).
ms Amsterdam wiki
- Holland America Amsterdam cruise ship (named after the city of Amsterdam, Holland) is the line's last R-class vessel. Her sisters in the Holland America fleet are Rotterdam, Volendam, Zaandam. The ship's Maiden Voyage was on October 30, 2000, godmother - Janet Lanterman.
- Fun fact: fuel consumption is 140 t (39,500 gallons) per day at 24mph (39kmph) speed.
- The Amsterdam ship has a fully operational Astrolabe (an inclinometer, used in the past eras by astronomers and navigators) installed in its atrium area. This elaborate device is 3-story tall - and working!
- In 2015 the Amsterdam cruise ship sailed on a "World Cruise" from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The Around The World Voyage ended in Florida, but this time visited Europe (Mediterranean) on a westbound route with Suez Canal transition.
ms Amsterdam - user reviews and comments
Photos of ms AmsterdamAdd Photo
ms Amsterdam ship related cruise news
A crew member is missing from a Holland America cruise ship in Alaska. The Coast Guard searched via helicopter in Sitka Sound for a man reported...August 4, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Holland America offers 9 extended itineraries to Hawaii during fall 2018-spring 2019 period. Sailings aboard ms Eurodam and ms Amsterdam range...July 15, 2018
- Cruise Industry
A devoutly religious woman from Brisbane who took a 30-day cruise and went on a spending spree after nearly USD 100,000 was mistakenly put into...March 22, 2017
On October 30 (Friday), a jury in Seattle awarded US$21,000,000 to a cruise passenger who has been hit in the head by an automatic glass door on...November 1, 2015
- show more news
Other Holland America cruise ships
ms Amsterdam Itineraries
The below listed ms Amsterdam cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Holland America fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 Sep 23||89 days, one-way from Seattle to Los Angeles||Seattle|
|2018 Sep 23||65 days, one-way from Seattle to Sydney||Seattle|
|2018 Sep 25||87 days, one-way from Vancouver to Los Angeles||Vancouver|
|2018 Sep 25||63 days, one-way from Vancouver to Sydney||Vancouver|
|2018 Sep 30||82 days, round-trip Grand Asia & Pacific Voyage||Los Angeles|
|2018 Sep 30||58 days, one-way from Los Angeles to Sydney||Los Angeles|
|2018 Oct 16||42 days, one-way from Yokohama to Sydney||Yokohama|
|2018 Nov 04||47 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Los Angeles||Hong Kong|
|2018 Nov 04||23 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Sydney||Hong Kong|
|2018 Nov 27||24 days, one-way from Sydney to Los Angeles||Sydney||$2899|
|2018 Dec 21||17 days, round-trip Hawaii Holiday||Los Angeles||$1499|
|2019 Jan 07||15 days, one-way from Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale||Los Angeles||$899|
|2019 Jan 22||114 days, round-trip Grand World Voyage||Fort Lauderdale||$18299|
|2019 Feb 26||24 days, one-way from Auckland to Singapore||Auckland||$4399|
|2019 Mar 06||25 days, one-way from Sydney to Mumbai||Sydney||$9399|
|2019 Mar 23||54 days, one-way from Singapore to Fort Lauderdale||Singapore||$18699|
|2019 Apr 01||25 days, one-way from Mumbai to Amsterdam||Mumbai||$4619|
|2019 May 16||18 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to Seattle||Fort Lauderdale||$1799|
|2019 May 16||17 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver||Fort Lauderdale||$1699|
|2019 Jun 02||1 day, one-way from Vancouver to Seattle||Vancouver||$99|
|2019 Jun 03||14 days, round-trip Great Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$2399|
|2019 Jun 17||14 days, round-trip Great Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$2399|
|2019 Jul 01||7 days, round-trip Olivia Ultimate Alaskan Summer Cruise||Seattle|
|2019 Jul 08||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$1299|
|2019 Jul 15||14 days, round-trip Great Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$2399|
|2019 Jul 29||14 days, round-trip Great Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$2299|
|2019 Aug 12||14 days, round-trip Great Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$2199|
|2019 Aug 26||14 days, round-trip Great Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$2199|
|2019 Sep 09||14 days, round-trip Great Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$2299|
|2019 Sep 23||35 days, one-way from Seattle to San Diego||Seattle||$3399|
|2019 Sep 23||1 day, one-way from Seattle to Vancouver||Seattle||$79|
|2019 Sep 24||34 days, one-way from Vancouver to San Diego||Vancouver||$4199|
|2019 Sep 24||6 days, one-way from Vancouver to San Diego||Vancouver||$599|
|2019 Sep 30||28 days, round-trip Incan Empires||San Diego||$3549|
|2019 Oct 28||51 days, round-trip Tales Of The South Pacific||San Diego||$7749|
|2019 Dec 18||17 days, one-way from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale||San Diego||$3349|
|2020 Jan 04||129 days, round-trip Grand World Voyage||Fort Lauderdale||$24999|