Review of AmaWaterways
Here we list all AMA river cruises 2017-2018 ship itineraries, destinations and ports of departure. We have all AMAwaterways ships schedules (sail calendar with dates and prices PP). Special feature is our AmaWaterways cruise tracker integrated in each page. It shows on a map the riverboat's location now (current position on the river).
AMA River Cruises
AmaWaterways was founded in 2002 by the trio of river cruise executives Kristin Karst, Jimmy Murphy and Rudi Schreiner. AMA river cruise line operates across three continents, providing 30 unique itineraries and various destinations throughout Asia, Africa and Europe, although the majority of AMA cruises take place on the Western Europe's Rhine, Main, Mosel, Danube and Rhone Rivers. AmaWaterways company is a member of the well-known Cruise Lines International Association.
AmaWaterways cruises offer 9 to 27-days itineraries, visiting the Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Germany, France, Spain, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Hungary, Czech Republic, Latvia, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Bulgaria, Russia, Vietnam and Cambodia. Eight of the European itineraries also feature wine-themed activities, such as tours of: on the Rhine - Berg Rottland Winery at Rudesheim; on the Danube - Loisium Winery at Krems, and on the Moselle River: Bergweiler Winery in Bernkastel.
AmaWaterways African River Cruise and Safari was introduced in 2012 and visits Chobe River, Botswana, Kenya, South Africa, Tanzania and Zimbabwe. Unlike other itineraries, it focuses on exotic wildlife with game viewing, fishing excursions and visits to local villages.
The comparison of all AmaWaterways cruise ships and their river sailing routes, ports of departure and all destinations will give you the important info on home-port and itinerary changes in the line's new program. The AmaWaterways cruise company was founded in 2002, with headquarters in Chatsworth, California (USA). AMAwaterways ships are operated/represented on the UK and Australia markets by the APT cruise and tour operator via a partnership APT - AmaWaterways Gmbh.
- itineraries are from 9 to 27 days in length, also featuring "wine-themed" cruise tours (Bergweiler Winery (Bernkastel, on Moselle River), Loisium Winery (Krems, on Danube), Berg Rottland Winery (Rudesheim, on Rhine). On your Ama itinerary you'll enjoy visiting magnificent cities and historic places, castles and fortresses, and all the amazing scenery.
- the list of operational destinations and countries (with some of the world’s most remarkable waterways) includes: (in Europe) Austria-Belgium-Bulgaria-Croatia-Czech Republic-France-Germany-Holland-Hungary-Latvia-Luxembourg-Romania-Serbia-Spain-Switzerland; (in Asia) Cambodia-Russia-Vietnam. In 2012, this line introduced its "African River Cruise & Safari" special visiting Chobe River (running through South Africa-Botswana-Kenya-Zimbabwe-Tanzania). The AmaWaterways African cruise offers great fishing excursions, visiting local villages, exotic wildlife and game viewing (operated with smaller boats and by vehicle).
- convenience - your Ama ship always docks in the heart of towns and cities or by some magnificent castle and other popular local landmarks.
- 5-star luxury hotel amenities, exquisite staterooms with French Balconies, Twin-Balcony rooms, a variety of in- and outdoor dining venues, heated onboard swimming pools, attentive and highly personalized service by a high staff-to-guest ratio, contemporary designs of public spaces, elegant dining venues.
- gourmet cuisine & premium open seating dining experiences - daily buffet breakfast, special selections of European wines with lunch and dinner, a cocktail reception, a welcome dinner.
- cabin amenities - terry bathrobes, luxurious plush bedding.
In May 2017 was announced the construction of Europe's largest river cruise ship - AmaMagna. The boat's launch is scheduled for 2019.
As of 2017, AmaWaterways has a fleet of 20 riverboats, plus another 5 all scheduled for launch by 2019.
Itinerary of AmaWaterways
AmaWaterways itinerary program is focused mostly on the European waterways, offering cruises on the rivers Rhine, Rhone, Danube, Douro, Seine, Main and Mosel. The line operates a fully-owned fleet of river cruise ships, but also uses boat charterers for operating remote destinations. South America, Africa and Asia AMA river cruises (in Russia, Vietnam and Cambodia) are operated mostly through leased vessels.
AmaWaterways revealed its expanded list of exotic itineraries in Vietnam & Cambodia, providing vacationers with more options to experience Southeast Asia. In 2018 passengers have the flexibility to sail the Mekong River for 7 nights upstream/downstream aboard AmaDara and extend their cruise by adding a choice of pre-/post-cruise land programs.
AmaWaterways 2018-2019 Asia itineraries include:
- 15-night cruise & land program: 2 nights in Ho Chi Minh City, 7-night cruise, 2 nights in Siem Reap, 3 nights in Hanoi and 1 night in Ha Long Bay.
- 10-night cruise & land program: 7-night cruise from Ho Chi Minh followed by 3 nights in Siem Reap.
Riches of Mekong (Downstream) 7-night cruise from Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh
- 15-night cruise & land program: 2 nights in Hanoi, 1 night in Ha Long Bay, 3 nights in Siem Reap, 7-night cruise and 2 nights in Ho Chi Minh.
- 10-night cruise & land program: 3 nights in Siem Reap followed by a 7-night cruise to Ho Chi Minh.
In 2018, AmaWaterways adds its first wine hosted cruise in Asia on March 26. It is hosted by Sbragia Family Vineyards from California Dry Creek Valley. The voyage features onboard wine lectures and tastings to complement the shore excursions included in the sailing.
AmaWaterways lineup of 2019-2020 Africa Safaris & Wildlife Cruises includes a number of returning favorites and a brand new 4-night post-cruise Rwanda extension. The all-suite, all-balcony 28-passenger RV Zambezi Queen takes her guests down Chobe River to pamper with up-close wildlife viewing. New to African itineraries is the land extension in Rwanda, that can be added to any of the itineraries. During the extensions, passengers will visit Kigali and Volcanoes National Park, home to rare golden monkeys and mountain gorillas. The itineraries include:
- Discover Africa (3 nights in Cape Town plus a 4-night wildlife cruise and 2 nights in Victoria Falls);
- Wildlife & the Falls (1 night in Johannesburg, a 4-night wildlife cruise, 2 nights in Victoria Falls, 2 nights in Johannesburg, 2 nights at a luxury safari lodge, Greater Kruger National Park);
- Stars of South Africa (3 nights in Cape Town, a 4-night wildlife cruise, 2 nights in Victoria Falls, 2 nights in Johannesburg and 3 nights at luxury safari lodge, Greater Kruger National Park);
- Rivers & Rails of Africa (3 nights in Cape Town, a 4-night wildlife cruise, 2 nights in Victoria Falls, 3-night Rovos Rail train journey Victoria Falls-Pretoria);
- Golden Trails of East Africa (1 night in Johannesburg, a 4-night wildlife cruise and 2 nights in Victoria Falls, 2 nights in Johannesburg and 7 nights in luxury safari lodges).
Note: In November 2016, AmaWaterways officially announced its plans to launch a new riverboat, purposefully built to cruise in India. Cruising operations will start in 2018 or 2019. The decision was based on demand from the company's repeat customers willing to travel in new regions, to new destinations and on exotic itineraries. The company probably will add itineraries on Red River in Vietnam too. In brackets is shown the boat's launch year.
- AmaBella (launched 2010) - Danube River - Belgium, Holland, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Germany, Slovakia
- AmaCello (2008) - Rhine River - France, Germany, Switzerland, Holland
- AmaCerto (2012) - Danube and Rhine Rivers - France, Germany, Switzerland, Holland, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Serbia, Czech Republic, Croatia, Romania, Slovakia, Turkey
- AmaDagio (2006) - Rhone River cruises in France
- AmaDante (2008) - Danube River
- AmaDara (2015) - Mekong River cruises in Vietnam and Cambodia
- AmaDolce (2009) - Rhine, Main, Mosel and Danube Rivers - Belgium, Holland, France, Germany, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Luxembourg, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia
- AmaKatarina (launched 1981, major refurbishment 2011) - Volga River cruises in Russia
- AmaKristina (2016) - Rhine (between Amsterdam and Zurich
- AmaLea (2018) - Danube (between Budapest and Prague or Munich), Rhine (Tulip Time Cruise from Amsterdam)
- AmaLegro (2007) - Seine and Rhone cruises in France, also with departures from Spain
- AmaLotus (2011) - Mekong River cruises in Cambodia and Vietnam
- AmaLyra (2009) - Main, Mosel, Rhine and Danube Rivers - France, Luxembourg, Germany, Holland, Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia
- AmaMagna (2019) - Danube River - this is the largest European river cruise ship
- AmaMora (2019) - Rhine (between Amsterdam and Zurich)
- AmaPrima (2013) - Danube, Rhine and Main Rivers - France, Germany, Belgium, Holland, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Switzerland, Bulgaria, Croatia, Romania, Czech Republic, Serbia, Turkey
- AmaPura (2014) - Asia (Irrawaddy River cruises in Myanmar/Burma) leaving from Rangoon
- AmaReina (2014) - Rhine River - France, Germany, Switzerland, Holland
- AmaSerena (2015) - Rhine and Rhine, Main and Danube - France, Switzerland, Holland, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic
- AmaSonata (2014) - Danube River - Austria, Holland, Germany, Belgium, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic
- AmaStella (2016) - Danube (between Budapest and Prague or Munich)
- AmaVerde (2011) - Danube River - Austria, Germany, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia
- AmaVida (2013)- Douro River - Portugal, Spain
- AmaViola (2016) - Danube River
- AmaVenita (2015) - Rhine, Main, Danube
- Zambezi Queen (houseboat) (launched 2009) - under charter for Chobe River cruises in Botswana (departures from South Africa, Kenya, Tanzania, Zimbabwe)
- Century Legend and Century Paragon offer Yangtze River cruises in China. Both ships are privately-owned and operated by Viking under charter. These riverboats are also chartered by other major European lines, like Avalon, Viking and Uniworld.
The following YouTube video provides a review of the experience on AMA river cruises in Europe. Next YouTube video reviews the AMAwaterways cruises in Asia - Vietnam (Mekong River) itineraries.
AmaWaterways cruise tracker
Our AmaWaterways river cruise ship tracker is a function integrated into all our ship review pages. At page-bottom in each page you'll find a map with the boat's current location (AIS position). All the real-time tracking data is provided by VesselFinder. It's all about convenience - you will find where is your AmaWaterways ship cruising today and right now - along its current itinerary, in realtime!
Enjoy the "AMA luxury" cruising on your AmaWaterways vacations!
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All river passenger shipping line companies and their fleets are listed there.