MSC Cruises fleet
Review of MSC Cruises
MSC Cruises (MSC Crociere) is a passenger shipping company headquartered in Genoa and Naples. It was established in 1960. Today, MSC Crociere is a subsidiary of MSC (Mediterranean Shipping Company) - world's 2nd largest containership company. MSC Crociere is the world's largest privately-owned cruise company. By annual passenger shipping volumes, MSC is ranked world's 4th largest cruise company (after Carnival Corporation, RCCL-Royal Caribbean and NCL-Norwegian) with over 5% global market share.
Originally founded by Achille Lauro as Lauro Lines, the company entered cruise business in the 1960s. Initially, MSC operated two ships, ms Achille Lauro and Angelina Lauro, both of which had fiery ends. After Angelina Lauro burnt in Saint Thomas in 1979, Flotta Lauro (Lauro Lines), met with bad times, operating only Achille Lauro. In 1985, ms Achille Lauro was hijacked by Palestine Liberation Front's members, and the much-publicised event led to dropped passenger numbers. Mediterranean Shipping Company purchased Flotta Lauro in 1989, and renamed it StarLauro Cruises. Achille Lauro caught fire and sank in 1994. In 1995, the company changed its name to "MSC Cruises".
In 2014 MSC Cruises announced that its four Lirica class ships were scheduled for renovation under the line's "Renaissance Programme" (USD 273 million investment). Four ships (Armonia, Lirica, Opera, Sinfonia) were stretched / elongated by 25 m (80 ft).
Most vessels in the MSC cruise fleet operate in Europe (Mediterranean and Baltic seas). Some of the company's other strong markets are USA (Caribbean), Canada New England, Asia, South America, South Africa. Because of the international passenger base, all shipboard announcements are generally read in Italian, Spanish, French, German and English. Mealtimes follow a more traditional cruise schedule with set dining times and seatmates. A handful of optional eateries include a buffet, sushi and an Italian restaurant.
MSC liners offer standout onboard evening show entertainment, from classical concerts and jazz to contemporary dance music and Cirque du Soleil-esque aerobatic shows. Voyages are typically priced at value-oriented levels, but the vessels offer an unprecedented range of modern vacation travel amenities and services that cost extra, such as fees for port shuttle buses, a la carte restaurant menus, and more.
New MSC luxury cruise fleet - separate brand?
In January 2018 strong rumours started to circulate about MSC Cruises considering the establishment of a new (all-inclusive luxury) cruise brand. There is also the possibility, instead of creating new brand company, MSC could just create a parallel fleet. Whatever the case, the new fleet will consists of of 4 smaller-sized vessels with max passenger capacity around 700 (each).
The newbuilds would be built by Fincantieri Group, and initially would operate on Mediterranean itineraries.
In 2015, the company ordered 4 new ships from STX France and Fincantieri Italy, with an option for 3 more. The first two vessels were delivered in 2017 - MSC Meraviglia (May) and MSC Seaside (November).
On February 1, 2016, MSC announced it would build two new-class mega liners, with max capacity 6300 passengers. The two newbuilds (from Meraviglia Plus-class) have 200 additional cabins and are 16 m (50 ft) longer compared to the Meraviglia-class (2444 staterooms).
- First Meraviglia Plus vessel was scheduled for delivery in November 2019 (Grandiosa) and April 2020 (Virtuosa).
- MSC also announced new features on Meraviglia-Plus ships, including first at sea fine art museum with original artworks. The additional space allows bigger (111 m / 36 ft long) indoor promenade and a larger LED screen (95x6 m / 280x20 ft). The extra space also allows two additional restaurants. The line has exclusive partnership with both Samsung (providing the technology) and Cirque du Soleil (live show programming shipboard).
- During MSC Seaside delivery ceremony (November 29, 2017), MSC announced the order of 2 more "Seaside EVO" class ships from Fincantieri (contract value EUR 1,8 billion). The new ships are bigger (16 m longer, 17,330 GT tons heavier, capacity 467 more passengers) in comparison to sisterships Seaview and Seaside. Newbuilds' deliveries were scheduled for 2021 (May) and 2023 (February).
- In early August 2018, MSC signed an agreement for EUR 1,5 billion (USD 1,74 billion) for financing both Seaside EVO liners. The financing was via partnership with a syndicate of lender banks (Unicredit, BNP Paribas, Cassa Depositi e Prestiti). Fully backing the credit line was the Italian export credit agency SACE SIMEST.
- With the addition of Seaside EVO, MSC had an unprecedented total investment of EUR 10,5 billion into 12 new vessels with scheduled deliveries by 2026.
- On November 30, 2017 (during Seaside's launch in Italy) the company Marlink (world's largest independent satellite Internet provider) provided over 0,5 gigabit per second throughput on its Sealink VSAT network. Seaside's record-breaking Internet speed was enabled on Intelsat’s new EpicNG satellites. Marlink is MSC fleet's provider of satellite Internet via optimised "cloud of bandwidth". As of 2017, Marlink had as part of its Sealink network 25 satellites and 32 overlapping beams.
- On June 14, 2018, MSC signed with STX France shipbuilding order for 5th Meraviglia-Class ship (delivery in 2023, dual-fuel LNG -powered engines). With this order, MSC had 13 newbuilds (2017-2026), of which 5 LNG-powered. The announcement was made at St-Nazaire yard. The ceremony was attended by Bruno Le Maire French Minister of Economy and Finance) and Pierfrancesco Vago (MSC's Executive Chairman). The event celebrated 3 major milestones - steel-cutting of the 4th Meraviglia-class vessel (Virtuosa), Coin ceremony of Grandiosa and float-out of Bellissima. For the first time in shipyard’s history, 3 vessels of a single owner were simultaneously under construction.
In October 2017, MSC Cruises installed on Meraviglia a modern "Man Overboard Detection System". The company also announced its plans to install such systems fleetwide.
This is an intelligent video capturing, image processing and analysis system that was tested and tuned on the cruise ship for over 25,000 hours, resulting in confirmed accuracy level of 97%. The real-time video data (provided by the ship's HD CCTVs) is monitored and analysed in a central security center by 2 independent image processing systems, which significantly lowers false alerts.
When the alarm activates (in a man overboard case), light and acoustic signals notify the ship’s security officer who can immediately review the recorded video and notify the Navigation Bridge crew to start a rescue operation.
MSC World-Class cruise ships
On April 6, 2017, during Meraviglia ship's delivery ceremony at STX France shipyard (Saint-Nazaire), MSC signed a new ship construction MoU ("memorandum of understanding") with STX France for a new series of 4 vessels (World Class) at a total cost EUR 4.5 billion. The shiporder was signed on May 31, 2017.
- World Class MSC ships are with max capacity 6850 passengers (2760 staterooms).
- Building cost per ship EUR 1,125 billion.
- Shipbuilder is STX France.
- Gross tonnage is 200,000 GT.
- Vessel's LOA length is 330 m (1083 ft).
- Vessel's width is 47 m (154 ft).
- Number of staterooms is 2700 (passenger capacity 5400).
- The shipbuilding order includes 2 initial vessels, plus 2 optional.
- Among these liners' key features are new generation LNG-powered marine engines, new waste water treatment plants, Y-shaped superstructure profile (better panoramic views, increased more balcony cabins), G bow hull (ertically positioned / 90-degree angle, improves vessel's stability and hydrodynamics / fuel efficiency), family-themed "villages", panoramic aft pool, glass-covered pool lounge.
The first MSC World cruise ships will be launched in the years 2022 and 2024. The two optional vessels will be launched in 2025 and 2026.
In January 2016, MSC signed a partnership with Samsung for latest technology equipment upgrade fleetwide. Among the provided by Samsung equipment are top-line flat HDTVs (for passenger cabins), LED screens and digital signage boards (in public areas), specialized medical equipment (for onboard hospitals), augmented reality mirrors, printing solutions.
In April 2018, the company introduced its new "Family Explorer Club" excursions program with expected over 250,000 children on cruises in 2018. The new tour program is designed to involve kids and their parents on custom-made shore excursions. The first boat offering the new program was Divina.
- The newe interactive land tour experiences are themed on destination's history and each tour features a local historical character symbolic to that destination / city. Teams are equipped with digital explorer maps, detailed instructions for the mission, and kids receive stickers for every accomplished task.
- On these family-only tours, kids are booked half-price. Excursions usually start later in the morning and have max duration of 4 hours.
MSC Cruises private islands (Sir Bani Yas, Ocean Cay)
In the end of 2015, MSC Cruises unveiled plans to develop an "unprecedented exclusive marine reserve island experience in the Bahamas". The USD 200 million project was launched in Nassau, where the Bahamas' Prime Minister and MSC's Executive Chairman signed a 100-year lease agreement, enabling MSC Cruises to occupy and develop the island - officially named Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve.
Ocean Cay was a 2-year USD 200 million project . The island is sized 95 acres / 38 hectares (0,38 km2 / 0,15 ml2) and is the world's only private marine reserve. It has a 3470 m (11400 ft) long beach front across 6 beaches, Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve is the biggest Caribbean private island development done by a cruise ship company. An interesting fact is that when the MSC ship is berthed in Ocean Cay, all its onboard facilities and services (including the casino) stay open and operational.
In June 2016, MSC Cruises announced it had created an exclusive "beach oasis" for MSC cruise ship tourists on roundtrips from Abu Dhabi and Dubai (starting winter 2016-2017). The 2,5 km (1,5 ml) stretch of land on Sir Bani Yas island features shaded cabanas, hundreds of palm trees and over 2,000 sunbeds across 36,000 m2 (387,500 ft2) of sand beaches. Other facilities and amenities available on the island include food and drinks bars, MSC Aurea Spa (wellness complex, massages), sports facilities (beach volleyball, tennis), family-kids playground area (with parents’ pergola), Bedouin tent (selling hand-made local arts and crafts), lounge space (live music, full-service bar), exclusive beaches (with VIP areas and cabanas).
- The MSC island development is on a smaller isle connected to the main island by wooden boardwalk allowing exclusive access to MSC passengers.
- MSC worked closely with ecologists and the Abu Dhabi Port Authorities for over 2 years to develop the island and support the ongoing preservation work. The isle is one of the region's largest wildlife reserves due to decades of conservation works and ecological investments to maintain its biodiversity. The "Arabian Wildlife Park" on the main island is home to over 13,000 endangered and indigenous animals, as well as millions of plants and trees.
- The first cruise to Sir Bani Yas Island departed on December 3, 2016 (visiting the island on December 5). Prices started from USD 720 per person (7-night itinerary on MSC Fantasia).
- In July 2016, Costa Cruises announced that Sir Bani Yas Island will be added as 1-day stopover (port of call) during season 2016-2017 on Costa neoRiviera (now AIDAmira). In 2017-2018, neoRiviera was replaced in Dubai by Costa Mediterranea. Costa passengers have access to a private (Costa exclusive) beach with VIP areas with cabanas.
- Among the island's shore excursion options are jeep safaris in the wildlife park, sea kayaking, diving and snorkelling tours.
MSC Cruises Asia
In mid January 2018, MSC announced a new partnership with China's largest online payment platform "Alipay". The deal offers mobile payments fleetwide - on all MSC vessels deployed in Asia. It allows customers to pay for onboard purchases. In November 2017, the Alipay option was introduced on MSC Lirica. Next ship with Alipay technology was MSC Splendida - homeported in Shanghai China since May 2018.
Since May 2017, all Costa Asia-managed cruise vessels (of all Carnival Corporation brands) allow use Alipay payment services onboard. The partnership between Carnival Corporation and Ant Financial Services Group (subsidiary of Alibaba, China's biggest online trading company) enables Chinese cruise passengers on all Carnival Corp ships in Asia to pay for onboard services and products using their Alipay (mobile payment platform) accounts. Among these onboard services and products are shopping, tours/excursions, food and drinks. These expenditures are added to the passenger's cabin folio, then cleared via his/her Alipay account on a nightly basis.
MSC wedding cruise deals
Since 2015, MSC Cruises has a new cruise wedding program available on Caribbean itineraries.
- The program offers onboard marriages (also ashore) in several Caribbean port destinations, including Nassau Bahamas, Bridgetown Barbados, Grand Cayman Island, Falmouth Jamaica, Cozumel Mexico, San Juan Puerto Rico, Philipsburg St Maarten, Charlotte Amalie St Thomas, and also Miami Florida USA (on the embarkation day only).
- MSC partnered with the wedding-planning company "The Wedding Experience" and offers cruise wedding packages with prices starting from USD 1600 (onboard) and USD 2200 (ashore) weddings. MSC's basic wedding package includes a pre-cruise event manager, a ceremony coordinator, 1 bottle of Champagne, 1 cake for two, 1 bridal bouquet, 1-hour photo session.
- Event planners work with the couples to handle all the details (weddings and vow renewals). Also provided are wedding consultants and ceremony coordinators.
- Onboard / ashore receptions and ceremonies offer various options - video / photo packages, fresh flowers, themed music, food and drink packages, also specialty items (personalized stationaries for invitations) and ground transportation for ashore events.
- Couples booking groups of 13 or more cabins receive a complimentary balcony stateroom. Couplse booking groups of 30 or more cabins receive a complimentary suite. Complimentary Yacht Club stateroom is offered for 50 or more booked cabins.
- Onboard ceremonies can be attended by up to 150 non-cruising guests.
- MSC Cruises' first ship to offer onboard weddings was MSC Divina.
MSC cruise booking and cancellation policy changes
In July 2017, MSC changed the cimpany's cruise booking policy. It now requires final payments to be made 30 days earlier - from 60-days to 90-days prior departure.
- Cancellations made 89-61 days prior departure result in losing the non-refundable deposit.
- Cancellations between 46-60 days prior departure result in paying 50% of the original price.
- Cancellations between 16-45 days prior departure result in paying 75% of the original price.
- Cancellations done 15 days of less prior departure result in paying the full cruise price.
MSC virtual reality ship tours
Samsung and MSC Cruises developed a cutting-edge virtual reality tool for touring MSC ships. The new technology was announced during at Expo Milano 2015 (May 1 through October 31, 2015).
- With this innovative technology, MSC made available to the company's top European sellers (travel agencies) a powerful tool for introducing the MSC travel experience to potential customers.
- The technology is based on Samsung's "Gear VR" headsets (powered by Oculus) plus a custom-built software app. Potential MSC passengers can walk through any cruise ship in the fleet without setting foot on board. The tool allows "walking" through 6 key onboard areas (including staterooms, restaurants, pools, theatre / also watching a show). The 360-degree sensory experience even brings aromas in the air (when observing an onboard restaurant) - such as fresh-baked bread, fresh fruits, chocolate.
- The virtual cruise ship tour technology uses software and hardware by AxedGroup. The virtual ship tour app runs on Samsung Galaxy Note phones.
- Other experiences include tours of new (prototype) MSC ships *currently under construction).
"MSC for Me" - fleetwide Digital Innovation Program 2017-2018
Each of the MSC cruise ships is fitted with thousands of connectivity points, digital access points, iBeacons (Bluetooth) and hundreds of interactive digital screens throughout the ship. In all staterooms are implemented RFID (radio-frequency identification) and NFC (near-field communication) access technologies.
The new program is implemented fleetwide, but was first introduced on MSC Meraviglia. The launched in June 2017 ship was fitted with a total of 114 Interactive screens, 244 info screens, 31 virtual screens, 81 videowall monitors, 3050 iBeacons, 700 WAPs (wireless access points), 1200 CCTV cameras.
Some of the MSC digitalization program's main features are:
- The apps implement facial recognition technology and interactive / smart bracelets by Samsung.
- Digital Concierge app - passengers can reserve / book onboard services, restaurants and shore excursions in real time. The app is real-time and 24-hour, connecting MSC customers to the company's experienced staff online.
- Capture - virtual reality tool to preview the cruise itinerary, create personal photo galleries, online sharing.
- Organizer - a cruise planning tool used at mobile devices. It provides detailed information and also allows pre-booking (tours, theater seats, dinner table, etc) before ship embarkation (pre-cruise booking) and while onboard (realtime cruiseplanner).
- Navigation - Interactive map (way finder) provides advice (scheduled events, opening hours, etc) and directions while on the ship. The app also allows real-time kids monitoring (via bracelets).
- TailorMade - digital advisor for personal recommendations based on the passenger's preferences (interactive gaming, gambling, culinary, recreational, entertainment, etc).
- Passengers can always opt out of all these connected ("Internet of things" / IoT) services offered.
- All passenger staterooms are fitted with door locks with built-in keypads (Samsung SHS-1321 NFC Ring).
MSC fitness cruise packages
Since 2017, MSC Cruises offers an upgraded fleetwide onboard wellness experience via partnership with TechnoGym. It is part of the company's cruise fare-inclusive offers that can be chosen upon booking.
- The new program starts with an online questionnaire determining the customer's specific wellness goals, aspects of healthy lifestyle (exercises, healthy diet, weight loss).
- The new wellness program is linked with the company's fitness-themed cruises. It also includes one-time personal trainer consultation. Personal training sessions are available onboard at extra cost.
- Also included are themed shore excursions (jogging, hiking, cycling), fitness classes (hula hooping, barre, yoga, Pilates).
- Resistance bands and workout mats are provided on the ship for in-cabin use.
- TechnoGym workout gear and laundry service for the exercise clothing are provided on the ship.
- Healthy food menu options are available in the ship's main dining rooms and buffet restaurants.
- Deals are also inclusive of a medical evaluation with the ship's doctor (blood pressure, EKG, lipid panel).
- The new "Wellness Experience" program is operated with a total of 5 fitness cruise packages available for booking. Pricing starts from USD 930 pp (7-night itinerary, Interior Stateroom).
FREE Birthday cruise
In 2017, MSC started offering a new "free cruise deal" for customers celebrating their birthday. in case your birthday falls during select cruises, it is complimentary.
- MSC's free cruise offers are on itineraries in Europe (Mediterranean, Baltic), Asia (Arabian Peninsula /Dubai), Caribbean (West Indies, Cuba). Longer itineraries are available through World Voyages.
- Booked passengers can extend their free birthday cruise and combine itineraries into B2Bs (back to back cruises) from 14 to 22 nights.
- Bookings must have at least one paying passenger and only one free birthday passenger. The birthday of the passenger must fall on one of the itinerary days, but excluding the arrival and departure days.
- Such offers are usually promotions, subject to selected availability and valid for lower cabin categories only (usually excluding Suites).
MSC's "Dolphins Fan Cruise"
MSC Seaside ship's itinerary March 17-24 (7-day Caribbean and Antilles roundtrip from Miami to Nassau Bahamas, St Thomas USVI and St Johns Antigua) was officially themed "Dolphins Fan Cruise". This special voyage was result of the 3-year partnership between MSC and the NFL team. The sports-themed voyage will be hosted annually over the next 3 years (2017-2020). The 2018 voyage's prices started from USD 700 per person (balcony cabin rates based on double occupancy).
During these sports cruises, passengers have the opportunities to interact in person with team alumni. The list of pre-scheduled onboard activities includes:
- Meet team's legends Joe Rose, Kim Bokamper, Nat Moore, Patrick Surtain, Sam Madison, Terry Kirby.
- Take autographs from the alumni, and get a photo with the team's cheerleaders.
- Cheer alongside team’s cheerleaders and hype up crowd with the mascot TD (The Dolphin).
- Enjoy special performances by cheer squad and the mascot.
- Get to know former players during Q&A sessions.
On April 28, 2018, the ship hosted the Miami Dolphins Cheerleaders for the team's annual calendar photo shoot, with special onboard show programming.
- Via company's "Save & Sail" summer promotion, potential MSC cruise customers had the chance to book a balcony stateroom on the "Cheerleaders voyage" starting at USD 650 pp. The off-promo prices started from USD 1098 pp (Inside Cabin rates with double occupancy).
- Cheerleaders cruise itinerary (April 28 - May 5) was a 7-day roundtrip from Miami to St Maarten Island, Puerto Rico and Bahamas (Nassau).
Itinerary of MSC Cruises
In Europe, from the Baltic to the Mediterranean, MSC ships attract a strong European crowd with U.K.- and Ireland-based travelers becoming increasingly well-represented. The Caribbean sailings of the line are geared more strongly to vacationers from North America.
With its new-builds, MSC Cruises attracts a large number of retirees during the winter, while its efforts to appeal to families during the summer and school holidays end with lots of children at those times. The more classic vessels of the line which offer longer, more exotic itineraries and lack state-of-the-art kids' facilities, are tailored to older cruisers.
MSC Seaside operates year-round from Miami on 7-night Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries. The Eastern Caribbean itinerary visits St Thomas, Puerto Rico and Bahamas. The Western Caribbean itinerary vists Bahamas, Cozumel Mexico, Jamaica and Cayman Islands. The first Caribbean voyage was December 21, 2017 "Christmas Cruise".
Docking at a newly expanded and renovated dedicated berth and terminal at PortMiami, MSC Seaside joins there the fleetmate MSC Divina in servicing the North American market.
Cruises from UK
In 2018, MSC Cruises offers more regularly-scheduled roundtrip itineraries from the UK, which was a direct result from the company's fleet expansion. MSC returned to UK with a series of short cruises out of Southampton on MSC Splendida (6 departures in 2018).
These comments came as MSC Cruises held a coin ceremony for its Meraviglia in Saint Nazaire shipyard in France. MSC Meraviglia was based in Hamburg for 2018 summer season. Thus, the vessel became the largest cruise ship ever to be homeported there. Meraviglia operates along with MSC Magnifica. In 2018 MSC Cruises also returned to the UK with MSC Magnifica - with an inaugural, full-season ex-UK program. The ship was homeported in Southampton for 8 months (April through November).
Cruises from China
- From May 2018, MSC Splendida was scheduled to serve the Chinese market following the scheduled for 2017 drydock refurbishment. The China-based (Shanghai) cruise itinerary program included destinations in Japan, South Korea and China.
- In Asia, Splendida joined MSC Lirica (operating from China since May 2017) from homeport Tianjin and serving the north China market during winter months.
- Starting 2020, MSC Bellissima is deployed in Asia and homeported in China (Shanghai),
MSC Splendida for 2018-2019 winter season was deployed in the Middle East and homeported in Dubai on week-long cruises.
MSC Seaview is homeported in Santos Brazil (South America) for winter 2018-2019 following the inaugural season in Europe-Mediterranean. In Europe, the ship is homeported in Barcelona, Genoa, Marseille, Naples, Messina Sicily for 7-day cruises visiting Malta, Spain, France and Italy.
MSC Meraviglia cruises in Northern Europe 2018, homeported in Hamburg during summer. MSC Divina was relocated from Miami to Europe (for 2018 summer season) to offer 7-day Mediterranean roundtrips from Genoa (alternative homeports Rome, Valencia, Marseille). MSC Seaside remains in Miami for 2018, and MSC Divina returns to Caribbean (2018-2019 winter).
MSC Cruises' North American expansion brings 3 ships to the United States by 2019. While MSC Divina is currently sailing from Miami, MSC Seaside started year-round sailing out of Miami from December 2017. Starting fall 2019, MSC Meraviglia, debuting in Europe in summer 2017, joins the two vessels sailing the winter season in Caribbean from Miami. Meraviglia and Seaside sail year-round while MSC Divina returns to Mediterranean in 2020.
- The 119-days itinerary includes a total of 49 ports of call in 32 different countries. The line has arranged extended stays in ports that no other cruise companies offer, including 4 full days in Polynesia, 3 full days in both San Francisco and Hawaii, and 2 full days in Los Angeles.
Another around the world voyage is offered on Magnifica.
- Departing in January 2020, the itinerary has a total of 40 ports of call in 23 countries on 5 continents. The 3-month long voyage can be booked as roundtrip itinerary from either Rome (Civitavecchia), Genoa, Marseille or Barcelona. It also features a Transatlantic crossing and a Suez Canal transit.
- Among the visited destinations are South America (Argentina, Chile, Easter Island), Australia, Pacific Islands, Asia (Malaysia, India, Oman, Jordan).
In January 2020, MSC Cruises features a new world voyage onboard MSC Magnifica. The journey visits more than 40 destinations in 23 different countries, spanning 5 continents over 3 months.
Asia cruises 2018-2019
MSC operates itineraries roundtrip from homeport Yokohama to Kanazawa and Kagoshima. The cruise line is also enhancing its range of voyages from the UAE (United Arab Emirates) via the introduction of a 2nd ship, MSC Lirica.
In April 2018, Lirica was repositioned from China back to Europe. On the Asian market, the ship was replaced by the bigger MSC Splendida (3300 passenger). Lirica's new (European) cruise itinerary program is based on homeports Venice and Bari, with roundtrip Adriatic Sea cruises (Eastern Mediterranean) to ports in Greece and Croatia.
For winter season 2018-2019, the Lirica ship is homeported in Dubai and Abu Dhabi UAE (starting November 2018) for 11- and 14-night roundtrip itineraries. The ship offers 2 overnights in Dubai, and also cruises to India. The Indian voyages are roundtrips from Dubai to call ports Abu Dhabi UAE, Muscat Oman and India (Mumbai , Goa, Mangalore). An 11-night itinerary from Dubai visits the private island Sir Bani Yas. MSC Lirica cruise deals can also be booked as fly-cruise packages.
On the occasion of the arrival of MSC Splendida in Chinese waters in April 2018, MSC Cruises unveiled that its MSC Bellissima ship is to be deployed in Asia in Spring 2020. The liner is set to become line's newest flagship for the region. Following her inaugural Mediterranean season in summer 2019, Bellissima brings a range of innovations to Japan and China.
While MSC Bellissima is predominantly based in Shanghai to serve Chinese market, she also offers several itineraries from Japan to cater to the increasing demand for MSC Cruises product and experience from Japanese clients. A number of Asia cruises are reserved for international passengers who want to discover the popular region from the comfort of an MSC Cruises liner.
Winter Cruise Season 2019-2020
MSC Cruises 2019-2020 itineraries for the winter season feature a private island destination and new ports.
- In the Mediterranean, the new Meraviglia Plus class liner Grandiosa enters service in November 2019 to operate on 7-day Western Mediterranean itineraries (winter 2019-2020). Sistership Virtuosa enters service in April 2020.
- MSC Sinfonia also operates in Mediterranean, but on longer, 11-, 12- and 14-night voyages. A new 14-day "Holy Land" itinerary visits Haifa Israel. Passengers spend 2 full days in Haifa (port to Tel Aviv) discovering the ancient cities of Bethlehem and Jerusalem. Other call ports include Rome, Messina Sicily, Barcelona, Genoa, Marseille, Greece (Rhodes Island, Limassol Cyprus, Heraklion Crete). Passengers can also book a new 12-night Mediterranean itinerary from homeport Genoa (to Tangier, Cartagena, Funchal (Madeira Island) ending in Rome.
- Before the repositioning crossing to Miami, MSC Meraviglia operates on 12-night itineraries leaving out of New York. Two 10-night roundtrips from NYC are offered, before heading to Canadian ports. MSC Meraviglia finishes a 17-night Transatlantic cruise from Kiel (with call ports in Denmark, UK, Ireland, Iceland, Canada) ending in NYC.
- MSC Cruises Caribbean fleet for 2019-2020 winter season consists of 6 ships. Season's highlight is the opening of Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve in 2019. The new private island destination is exclusively for MSC customers and offers 40 acres of beaches split into 6 areas.
- In the Caribbean, Meraviglia operates 2 different Western Caribbean itineraries from PortMiami. MSC Seaside operates on 7-night roundtrips from Miami. Seaside, Meraviglia, Armonia and Divina all call on the private island Ocean Cay. The specially built pier allows passengers ship-port-ship access at all times.
- Starting December 2018, MSC Armonia added Miami to its list of homeports (Havana Cuba, Cozumel Mexico) and to its 8-day Cuba itinerary (with 2 days in Havana / overnight stay). In Miami, Armonia joined the fleetmates Divina and Seaside.
- In November 2019, MSC Divina returns from Mediterranean to Caribbean (homeported in Miami). The first of the two voyages is 11-night roundtrip to Jamaica, Colombia, Costa Rica, Panama, Mexico and Ocean Cay. The 2nd is 10-night roundtrip to Antigua, St Kitts, St Maarten, Tortola BVI and Ocean Cay.
- MSC Preziosa also cruises in Caribbean, leaving roundtrip from homeport Fort-de-France (Martinique) and Pointe-a-Pitre (Guadeloupe). These two 7-night, 7-port itineraries can be combined into a 14-night back-to-back cruise, visiting the Tortola, St. Maarten, St Kitts, Antigua, St Lucia, Barbados, Grenada, St Vincent.
- Abu Dhabi and Dubai are the UAE homeports of MSC Bellissima (entering service in 2019 spring). The ship also cruises in the Mediterranean before the relocation to the Middle East for winter 2019-2020. Two different 7-night Persian Gulf itineraries are offered to Sir Bani Yas Island-Khasab-Muscat and to Bahrain-Qatar.
- MSC Lirica joins Bellissima on longer Persian Gulf cruises from UAE. A 14-night itinerary to India offers overnights in Goa and Mumbai, and an 11-night itinerary visits Muscat with overnight in Oman.
MSC Cuba cruises from Havana
In January 2016 MSC became the 1st global cruise line to homeport in Havana, with MSC Opera sailing to Jamaica, Mexico and the Cayman Islands. MSC Armonia operates on 8-day (7-night) itineraries, visiting ports in Central America and the Caribbean:
- 8-day roundtrip from Havana, visiting Roatan (Honduras), Belize City (Belize), Costa Maya (Mexico), Isla de la Juventud (Cuba)
- 8-day roundtrip from Havana, visiting Montego Bay (Jamaica), George Town (Cayman Islands) and Cozumel (Mexico).
- Cruisers can combine both itineraries into a 14-night Havana back-to-back cruise.
- Carnival Paradise leaving from Tampa Florida - cheapest prices (from USD 480 pp)
- Royal Caribbean (ship Empress of the Seas, leaving from Miami Florida)
- Holland America (ship Veendam) leaving from Fort Lauderdale since December 2017
- Oceania Cruises (ships Marina and Regatta) starting in 2017, Cuba circumnavigation, stops in Cienfuegos and Havana, also part of some Panama Canal transition itineraries.
- NCL (ship Norwegian Sky, 4-day itineraries with Havana overnights - starting May 2017.
- Azamara Cruises (ship on Azamara Quest from Miami)
- Thomson UK / Marella Cruises (ship Marella Dream) 7-day, leaving roundtrip from Jamaica (Montego Bay) to Havana
- Compagnie du Ponant (yacht ship Le Ponant, leaving from Miami Florida)
- Pearl Seas Cruises (ship Pearl Mist, leaving from Fort Lauderdale Florida)
- Lindblad Expeditions (chartered sailing ship MS Panorama II, leaving from Havana)
- Celestyal Cruises (ship Celestyal Crystal, leaving from Havana and Montego Bay Jamaica)
- Grand Circle Cruise Line (ship MV Clio / ex Tere Moana) one-way from Miami to Havana, or the reverse from Havana to Miami (embarkation/disembarkation in port Cienfuegos).
- International Expeditions (leaving from Havana, charter flights out of Miami)
- Victory Cruise Lines - MS Victory I (former MS Saint Laurent) - fly-cruises from Miami to Havana (home-port Cienfuegos /departures)
- Note: According to the current Cuban law, US citizens of Cuban origin (born in Cuba) are not allowed to visit the island country (including on cruise ships). Regardless of their US citizenship status, Cuban-born Americans were denied booking on cruise itineraries visiting ports in Cuba. However, the situation changed in April 2016, after Carnival Corporation negotiated with the Cuban government for allowing ships with Cuban-born passengers, as such US citizens are allowed to visit the country on USA-Cuba charter flights. The Carnival-fathom line started Miami to Cuba cruises in May 2016.
- Alaska Airlines offers regular nonstop flights to Havana from Los Angeles (California USA). An 80-min ling JetBlue flight from Fort Lauderdale (Florida) to Havana costs less than USD 100. Previously, air travel from USA to Cuba was thought charter flights only.
Cruises from New York 2019
MSC Meraviglia starts the inaugural North America cruise season with a maiden call in NYC New York (arriving on October 7, 2019). The ship offers 3 itineraries departing from NYC - two 10-night roundtrips and one 13-night repositioning Caribbean cruise NYC to Miami.
- The 1st 10-night roundtrip itinerary (October 8, 2019) visits the ports Sydney NS, Corner Brook NL, Charlottetown PE (Prince Edward Island) and Quebec City (overnight).
- The 2nd roundtrip itinerary (October 18, 2019) visits Bar Harbor ME, Saint John NB, Halifax NS, Sydney NS, Portland ME and Boston MA.
- The 3rd (13-night) relocation itinerary NYC-Miami (October 28, 2019) vists the Caribbean ports St Maarten (Philipsburg), Martinique (Fort de France), Barbados (Bridgetown), Grenada (St George), Curaçao (Willemstad) and Aruba (Oranjestad).
Before arriving in New York, Meraviglia offers a 17-night Transatlantic crossing from Kiel Germany, with ports of call in Canada, Denmark, Iceland and UK.
New Terminal at PortMiami
In July 2018, Miami-Dade county and MSC Cruises signed an agreement for extended preferential berthing rights and a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for the building of a new Cruise Terminal AAA at Port Miami.
Port Miami is the exclusive home port of the company in the United States. The new agreement extends the existing Saturday preferential berthing rights of MSC Cruises also to Sundays. Additionally, the new cruise terminal, due to be completed by October 2022, is projected to be able to accommodate line's next-generation, MSC World Class cruise ships (still under construction) carrying up to 7,000 passengers.
The revolutionary MSC Seaside, which debuted late 2017, sails year around from Port Miami to the Caribbean from recently completed Terminal F. Line's MSC Divina also offers seasonal Caribbean cruises from October through March, while MSC Armonia joins the North American-based fleet of MSC Cruises beginning year-round voyages to Havana December 2018.
As of November 2019, MSC Cruises' largest ship, MSC Meraviglia joins the other 3 ships at PortMiami.
MSC Cruises related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
With the help of China, Panama is poised to capture a bigger share of world's growing cruise tourism segment via a brand new cruise port. The Amador...August 17, 2018
- Cruise Industry
MSC Cruises is currently giving away a total of 2,000 places for the official christening ceremony of the 4,500-passenger ship MSC Bellissima in...August 10, 2018
- Cruise Industry
MSC Cruises reached an agreement for EUR 1.5 billion (USD 1.74 billion) financing for two of company's new Seaside EVO class ships. The...August 8, 2018
- Cruise Industry
A new cruise terminal is due to open in Durban port in 2020 following an agreement between port authorities and MSC Cruises. South Africa is a major...July 26, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Miami-Dade county and MSC Cruises announced they had signed an agreement for extended preferential berthing rights and a Memorandum of Understanding...July 12, 2018
- Cruise Industry
MSC Cruises and STX France signed an order for the construction of a 5th Meraviglia class cruise ship. Scheduled for delivery in 2023, the vessel...June 14, 2018
- Cruise Industry
The new flagship of MSC Cruises, MSC Seaview, was officially christened in Genoa on Saturday, June 9. Godmother Sophia Loren cut the ribbon to...June 10, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Fincantieri delivered today, June 4, MSC Seaview to MSC Cruises in Monfalcone, Italy. The official delivery ceremony took place in the presence of...June 4, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Just a few days prior to MSC Seaview coming into service, excitement is rising high among cruise passengers, port officials, travel agent partners...June 4, 2018
- Cruise Industry
MSC Cruises announced that the name of its industry-first digital personal assistant will be Zoe. Line's CEO Gianni Onorato revealed the name at the...May 28, 2018
- show more news