Costa neoRomantica Review and Specifications
Specifications of Costa neoRomantica
|Builder||Fincantieri (Marghera, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 325 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Speed||19 kn / 35 kph / 22 mph|
|Length (LOA)||220 m / 722 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||56769 gt|
|Passengers||1578 - 1894|
|Decks with cabins||8|
|Christened by||Maria Alessandra Fantoni|
Review of Costa neoRomantica
Launched in 1993 as “Costa Romantica”, Costa neoRomantica is the second of the two Costa Cruises Classica-class ships, together with Costa neoClassica.
History - construction & ownership
Costa Crociere is a British-American owned Italian cruise line based in Genoa, Italy. Costa is one of the main operating companies in the Carnival group, and a member of the exclusive “World’s Leading Cruise Lines Alliance” (WLCLA), which also includes Carnival, Cunard, Holland America, The Yachts of Seabourn, Princess, and Windstar. One of the best cruise lines for Mediterranean and among the best family lines, the Costa company rules over Europe with its best “Italian Style Cruising” experiences.
The 56,769-ton, 1,344-passenger old cruise ship Costa Romantica started a whole new life after the 2011 refurbishment resulting in the new Costa neoRomantica ship. The new Romantica added some 3,000 tons to her weight, along with two brand new half decks and many new cabins (including with balconies). A service fee of six euros (approximately $7.20) is included to the onboard account of every traveler, every day. Half that sum is charged for kids under the age of eighteen years. This sum is divided as follows: two euros to the cabin steward(ess), two euros to the waiter and assistant waiter, and two euros to the personnel in Il Giardino. A 15 % service fee is included to bills for beverages and for salon and spa services.
Cruise itinerary program
Costa neoRomantica itinerary program was previously based on late spring Atlantic crossings, summer Canary Islands cruises and early fall trip Around the World.
Starting in April 2017, the ship was based in Asia. Costa neoRomantica arrived in homeport Shanghai on April 10, 2017 following a 23-day repositioning cruise (departing March 18) from Port Louis and visiting Port Victoria, Malè, Colombo, Phuket, Singapore, Da Nang and Hong Kong. The ship was then drydocked in Shanghai for a major refurbishment to customize the vessel for catering to Chinese passenger sourcing. Costa neoRomantica's first Asian cruise started on April 24, 2017 roundtrip from Shanghai.
Most Costa neoRomantica staterooms are 175-sq.foot Oceanview rooms (395). There are a total of 789 staterooms in 14 categories. 27 are the wheelchair accessible cabins. The largest aboard Costa neoRomantica are the Grand Suites (505 ft2).
Dining options - Food & Drinks
The Botticelli Restaurant is the main dining room on Costa neoRomantica. It is located on Deck 8 aft and has large windows on three sides, giving great sea views during the day. One of two sets of shades is drawn at night - plain room-darkening shades (ordinary dinners) and shades depicting classic Costa posters (festive dinners). Also for festive dinners, candles are placed on the tables. Il Giardino is ship's buffet restaurant. It is located aft on Deck 10, and is divided into small areas with wicker furniture. Outside the Il Giardino there is an outdoor area called La Terrazza. Here there are tables for 4 with padded chairs. Service in the buffet is divided into stations.
Follows the complete list of Costa neoRomantica restaurants and food bars.
- Ristorante Botticelli (complimentary 2-level aft Dining Room with 2 fixed Dinner seatings)
- Ristorante Club neoRomantica (specialty a la carte restaurant; features French and Italian cuisine, Steakhouse menu and extensive wine list; dinner-only, reservations required)
- Ristorante Samsara (serves healthy and low calorie food; with complimentary dining room for guests in Samsara Spa cabins, and a specialty restaurant for other passengers, at surcharge/reservations required)
- Ristorante Giardino (self-service buffet restaurant, complimentary; offers breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea at 4-5:00 p.m., and dinner; in the evening is transformed into Pizzeria, complimentary, with waiter service)
- Grill Capri (fast food station, complimentary)
- Pizzeria Capri (lunch & dinner only pizza restaurant, complimentary).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
Even though Costa Romantica cruise ship shows her age - in the low percentage of balcony cabins, for example, or fewer recreative or dining possibilities - travelers are very impressed with its Club Squok program for children. The kids' amenities are, as was typical in the mid 1990's, quite little and narrow. Costa neoRomantica provides one dining room, the new Samsara restaurant, a grand buffet, casino, eight bars, one show lounge, two pools & four jacuzzis plus SPA. There are advantages and disadvantages to such an international cruisers base. On the plus side, it is scholastic to be exposed to distinct customs, cuisines and points of view. On the negative side, some of the people might seem rude. Because they suppose most travelers are not going to understand them, they do not greet others or apologize when suitable. While Italian is the lingua franca of the cruise liner, only Italians speak it onboard; the Filipino crew members speak English.
Follows the complete list of Costa neoRomantica lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Cabaret Vienna (main show lounge; hosts grand scale show productions, musicals, classical concerts, ballet performances, circus and laser light shows)
- Cigar Lounge & Bar (also selling cigars and fine liquor)
- Sala Carte (cards room)
- Casino Excelsior (served by the Excelsior Bar)
- neoRomantica Atrium (multi-deck “Atrio Centrale” - open-floor area with live music and entertainment)
- Enoteca Verona (Wine & Cheese bar; has 100+ choices of cheeses and 80+ labels of wine)
- Grand Bar Piazza Italia (Lounge & Bar for specialty cocktails, sparkling wines, starters; with live music entertainment)
- Biblioteca & Internet Point (combined library and Internet computers room)
- Galleria Via Condotti (duty & tax free shops for brand watches, jewelry, perfumes, fashion clothes, Costa-logo merchandise, sportswear, gifts, tobacco and liquor)
- Galeria Foto (Photo Gallery & Shop)
- Mondo Virtuale (Video Games Arcade)
- Cafetteria (chocolates, specialty coffee bar & patisserie)
- Cappella (Wedding Chapel, also used for religious services)
- Salone Disco Tango (Disco & Nightclub)
- Squok Club (kids lounge with Mini Club (3-6 yo) and Maxi Club (7-11 yo) playing rooms; with complimentary kids programme and supervised activities; complimentary babysitting)
- Centro Banessere Samsara (2-level Spa & Wellness complex, with Fitness and separate Spinning/Aerobics Room; Venus Beauty Salon, Massages and Treatments Rooms, Japanese TeaRoom, Relaxation Room, Thermal Suites, Solarium, Tepidarium (heated loungers), Laconium (low humidity sauna), Aroma Steam Baths, Thalassotherapy pool, Turkish Bath, Solarium, Saunas, Kinesis Room. All neoRomantica’s guests in Spa staterooms have free access to most of the Spa complex)
- Gymnasium (cardiovascular equipment with views over looking the sea; VisioWeb screens enable guests to connect to the internet and their iPods to use during workouts)
- Lido Saint-Tropez pool area (with poolside bar and cabanas)
- Lido Montecarlo pool area and terrace (Montecarlo pool with one Whirlpool; served by Montecarlo Bar and Capri Grill&Pizza)
- Lido Biarritz pool area (pool with sunbathing area; served by Montecarlo bar)
- Solarium (open-air relaxation area)
- Pista da Jogging (Power Walking/Jogging Track).
Costa neoRomantica wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 14
- Total number of cabins: 789 (of which 34 Suite, 46 Balcony, 507 Inside, 56 Spa rooms)
- Dining Rooms: Botticelli
- Restaurants and food bars: Giardino (buffet), Capri (pizzeria), Samsara (at surcharge).
- Lounges & Bars: Cabaret Vienna (theater), Tango (nightclub), Piazza Italia, Cigar Lounge, Caffetteria (patisserie), Squok Club (kids), poolside (Capri pizza & grill).
- Amenities: complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service & Babysitting, Supervised Children Program, Internet, Laundry, Onboard Weddings.
- Excelsior (casino), Promenade (Deck 9), Samsara Spa, 2 jacuzzis, 3 pools (Saint-Tropez, Montecarlo, Biarritz), Jogging Track, Mondo Virtuale (arcade and Playstations).
- Costa neoRomantica cruise ship is the line's 2nd (last) Classica-class vessel. Her class sister is the Costa neoClassica ship. She is also related to Costa neoRiviera - the third one of the Costa Cruises' "neoCollection" ships.
- Costa Romantica cruise ship was built in Italy (inaugural cruise on January 1, 1993). The Romantica's first refurbishment was in 2003. The dry-dock refurbishment in November 2011 was actually a major refit (cost EUR 90 million). During this extensive drydock stay were added 2 new half deck extensions, 111 new cabins and balconies for a total of 120 staterooms&suites, increasing the ship's weight from 53000 to 56000 GT.
- Romantica debuted as "neoRomantica" in March 2012. Public rooms decorations feature Carrara Marble and rare woods. The ship's decks are named Monte Carlo, Madrid, Vienna, Verona, Paris, London, Copenhagen and Amsterdam - after most famous European cities.
- (February 25, 2009 fire accident) 10 km from Punta del Este (Uruguay), the cruise ship was stalled for more than a day, without electricity and running water. The incident resulted in most of the toilets being clogged. Partially repaired, the ship sailed slowly to appr 1 km from the coast, where all passengers were evacuated by tenders.
- Costa Cruises deployed the neoRomantica ship to Asia in 2017, for round-trip departures from homeport Shanghai (Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal). The new itinerary program started on April 24, 2017. During winter 2016-2017, the ship offered Indian Ocean itineraries (13-day round-trips) to Mauritius, Seychelles and Madagascar leaving from Mauritius (Port Louis). The list of other Costa Asia cruise ships in 2017 also included Atlantica (since 2013), Fortuna (since 2016), Serena (since 2015) and Victoria (since 2012).
Costa neoRomantica related cruise news
Costa Cruises, part of Carnival Corp. & plc announced that Costa neoRomantica will be based in Asia as the 5th ship of the Italian...April 11, 2017
As part of the effort of Taiwan to grow cruise tourism, Keelung Port attracted Costa Cruises for a couple of cruises set to sail this year...March 8, 2017
Costa Cruises announced that starting in April 2017, line's 1,800-passenger ship Costa neoRomantica will be based in Asia. This way, Costa vessels...April 17, 2016
Costa Cruises announced that the company was doubling the number of its voyages in the Indian Ocean for the winter season 2016-2017. The first of a...October 2, 2015
Blue Port, 7 cruise ships, amazing land program and a spectacular parade marked the highlights of 2015 Hamburg Cruise Days, which closed yesterday...September 14, 2015
Last Wednesday night Costa neoRomantica sustained damage after encountering high winds and rough weather. A newspaper in Italy reported...March 10, 2015
- show more news