Norwegian Cruise Line
Norwegian Joy Review and Specifications
Specifications of Norwegian Joy
|Year built||2017 / Age : 1|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||EUR 700 million (USD 920 million)|
|Owner||(NCLH) Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd|
|Operator||(NCL) Norwegian Cruise Line|
|Speed||23 kn / 43 kph / 26 mph|
|Length (LOA)||326 m / 1070 ft|
|Beam (width)||42 m / 138 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||167400 gt|
|Passengers||4250 - 4400|
|Decks with cabins||15|
|Former names||Norwegian Bliss|
|Christened by||Wang Leehom|
Review of Norwegian Joy
Launched in 2017, Norwegian Joy (ordered as "Norwegian Bliss") is the 2nd of the three Breakaway Plus-class newest and biggest NCL ships – together with Norwegian Escape (2015) and Norwegian Bliss (2018). This class ships are approx 7,000 GT larger in comparison to the company's second biggest vessel Norwegian Epic. The NCL Joy ship cost US $920 million to build (October 2012 shiporder rates).
History - construction & ownership
Norwegian Cruise Line Corporation Ltd. (Norwegian) is a wholly owned subsidiary of NCLH (Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd). This American cruise company is headquartered in unincorporated Miami-Dade County, Florida. In 1966 Norwegian began operations under the name "Norwegian Caribbean Line". The NCL company is best known for the Freestyle Cruising concept, meaning that there are no set times and seating arrangements for meals, formal attire is not required. Norwegian is a publicly traded company with 44% publicly listed on NASDAQ, with major shareholders (as of 30 June 2014): Genting Group (28%), Apollo Global Management (20%), and TPG Capital (7.9%). NCL controls nearly 8% of the total worldwide share of cruise market.
The 163,000-ton, 5,400-passenger cruise ship Norwegian Joy was built by Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany). The newest of the NCL ships entered service for Norwegian Cruise Lines from 2017. The first name of the ship (Bliss) was selected in a USA TODAY contest. Norwegian Cruise Line largest and newest ships to date, weigh 163,000 GT each. The Joy ship boasts the innovative features found on Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway, as well as a number of new interactive experiences.
The NCL Joy ship was ordered in 2014. The construction (under the name Norwegian Bliss) began on September 16, 2015. On October 12, 2015 it was announced that Bliss would be renamed and designed specifically for Chinese cruising market. On February 29, 2016 (leap year) the new name “Norwegian Joy” was officially announced. The name translates into "Xi Yue Hao" (Chinese glyphs 喜悦号).
The Breakaway Plus-class NCL ship Joy features food and onboard experiences catering for the preferences of Chinese holidaymakers. Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) also features a different name in China - Nuo Wei Zhen, meaning "Promising, Exclusive and Authentic". The translation of "Bliss" into Chinese doesn't have positive connotations, hence the name change.
Cruise itinerary program
Norwegian Joy itinerary program is based on cruises in Asia with roundtrip departures from homeports in China (Shanghai and Tianjin). The ship's "Inaugural Cruise" (roundtrip from Shanghai) was on June 27, 2017.
NCL Joy's 2018 itinerary program also included one 3-night Cruise to Nowhere (on Feb 19) and short-break itineraries (4- and 5-night) visiting exclusively ports in Japan (Fukuoka-Hakata, Nagasaki, Kumamoto-Yatsushiro, Hiroshima, Kochi). Most 4-night itineraries include only one port of call. In 2018, the ship had scheduled a total of 87 roundtrip cruises leaving from China.
Most Norwegian Joy staterooms are 170-sq.foot Balcony rooms (1168). There are a total of 2206 staterooms in 42 categories. 47 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard Norwegian Joy are the Haven Deluxe Owner’s Suites (900 ft2).
Compared to the "old” now Breakaway-class NCL ships (Getaway and Breakaway), the total number of Joy' Haven suites is almost doubled. There are total of 95 Suite accommodations, including two Owner’s Suites (featuring two balconies each). The Studio area (cruise rooms and lounge area for solo travelers exclusively /keycard-only accessible) has only single occupancy cabins. There are total of 82 solo cabins. In comparison, the NCL Getaway and Breakaway ships have 59 each.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
Norwegian Cruise Line provides passengers the freedom to savor gourmet dishes, various tastes and the flexibility to choose the number of courses to enjoy during the meal. On Norwegian Joy guests can choose between 11 complimentary dining options. They can also experience new flavors at signature specialty restaurants, such as Le Bistro, La Cucina, Cagney’s Steakhouse and Bayamo by James Beard Award winning chef Jose Garces. Norwegian’s signature specialty restaurants feature enhanced menus including favorite dishes and new tastes. Whether passengers prefer a light meal of a favorite soup or appetizer, or indulge in a dinner featuring Maine lobster, with the new à la carte options, they have the opportunity to create their own, desired dining experience.
Follows the complete list of Norwegian Joy restaurants and food bars.
- Private Room at Taste (100-seat, group private dining venue)
- Savor Restaurant (forward Dining Room, complimentary)
- Taste Restaurant (forward Dining Room, complimentary, with Your Time dining)
- Le Bistro (French specialty dinner-only restaurant; reservations-only; US$20 cover charge)
- Teppanyaki (Japanese Hibachi specialty, reservations-only restaurant; US$25; open for Lunch and Dinner; features live cooking demonstrations)
- MDR (aft-location Dining Room; complimentary; Freestyle dining, Dinner only)
- O’Sheehan’s Neighbourhood Bar & Grill (sports bar, with 24-hour American cuisine - burgers, steaks, desserts; complimentary)
- Shanghai’s Noodle Bar (Asian cuisine complimentary restaurant inside O’Sheehan’s Pub area)
- Food Republic (via partnership with Pubbelly Restaurant Group; specialty restaurant open for lunch through dinner, offers international cuisine; iPad ordering system)
- Pincho Tapas Bar (Latin dishes)
- Cagney’s Steakhouse (specialty dinner restaurant for prime steaks and gourmet seafood specialties; reservations-only, US$30 cover charge per person and free Kids Menu)
- Moderno Churrascaria (Brazilian steakhouse; reservations-only; US$20 per person cover charge; with outdoor seating waterfront area)
- La Cucina (Italian specialty restaurant; reservations-only, US$15 cover charge; with outdoor seating waterfront area)
- Sakura & Hibiscus (Korean hot pot restaurant; Korean barbecuef)
- Manhattan Room (Chinese cuisine and Western-style classics)
- Neptune's (seafood restaurant; a buffet of fresh seafood and an a la carte menu)
- Bayamo Restaurant (Cuban/Latin seafood restaurant)
- Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville At Sea (complimentary fast food restaurant)
- Breezeway Grill (casual dining)
- Garden Cafe (complimentary buffet restaurant with various cuisine stations).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
The new 4,200-passenger NCL Joy features an expanded Haven – the line’s concept “ship within a ship”. This space (accessible only by keycard) boasts an outdoor terrace, private restaurant, courtyard area with retractable roof pool, whirlpools, spa treatment rooms, separate sauna, private sundeck. Among the other features are the “678 Ocean Place” (spanning on 3 decks, with an amazing live entertainment in the evenings, several bars and alternative dining places), big-capacity water slides and a ropes course (both facilities catering to families).
NCL Joy is the world's first ever cruise ship with a Ferrari racetrack (deck 19). The facility is built by RiMO Supply (RiMO Germany Group) and operated via partnership with Scuderia Ferrari Watches. This is also the first ever branded Formula 1 race car track.
- The 2-level track spans on 2 decks and offers incredible seaviews at height of 60 m (200 ft). It has capacity up to 10 racers at a time on electric go-karts (Ferrari branded).
- The GoCars can reach speeds up to 40 mph (65 kph). In comparison to the sister-ship Norwegian Bliss, Joy's racetrack is 20% smaller and has 8 turns. Bliss has 10, two of which are cantilevered over the ship's side.
- Passengers booked in Concierge and The Haven staterooms enjoy complimentary rides with bookings. The used by RiMO technology ensures optimal usage under intensified UV conditions and saltwater exposure.
Other stand-out features include an open-air laser tag course, multi-story water slides, hovercraft bumper cars, and the line’s biggest-ever upscale shopping venue.
Follows the complete list of Norwegian Joy lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Bliss/Joy Theatre (800-seat; features Broadway-style musical productions; two grand-shows per night)
- Atrium (3-deck midship hub area - “678 Ocean Place”, with a big-size LED screen, dance area and live entertainment)
- Atrium Cafe & Bar (specialty tea & coffee bar)
- Headliners Comedy Club & Lounge
- The Library; Card Room; Internet Cafe (24-hour)
- Mixx Bar (live piano music; pre-dinner cocktails); Bar 21; 5 O’Clock Somewhere Bar; Tobacco Road Liquor Bar; The Humidor (cigar lounge); The Cellars Wine Bar; Sugarcane Mojito Bar; Prime Meridian Bar; Studio Lounge
- Carlo’s Bake Shop (cakes, pastries, bakeries; cupcake classes)
- Grand Tea Room (high-end Chinese loose leaf teas, elegant snacks, high tea-style finger foods)
- La Cave (fine wine and spirits bar)
- Art Gallery
- Casino (served by Skyline Bar)
- Ultra Lounge & Nightclub
- The District Brew House (craft beer hall featuring a keg room, 24 draft beers on tap and 50 different bottled beers; via partnership with Wynwood Brewing Company, Miami)
- Dolce Gelato (Italian ice cream)
- Atrium Boutiques (tax-duty free shops); Photo Gallery & Shop
- Waterfront Promenade (1320 ft/402 m long; open air dining and entertainment venues)
- Aqua Park (3-deck, with two pools, 2 racing twist-slides and 5 multi-level waterslides)
- Kids venues, club lounges (Kid’s Aqua Park, Splash Academy for kids 3-12 yo, Guppies Nursery for kids 6 months to 2 yo)
- Mandara Spa & Fitness (Thermal Suite, Snow Room, Salt Room, Medi Spa, 24 Treatment Rooms, Beauty Salon, Barber Shop, fitness classes)
- Spice H2O (adults only; served by Breezeway Bar & Grill)
- Entourage Teen Centre (jukeboxes, table football, video arcades, teen disco)
- “The Haven” (Suite- and Villa-passengers only complex; consists of The Haven Courtyard, The Haven Restaurant, The Haven Lounge)
- Rock Climbing Wall; Jogging Track; Sports Complex (Spider Web - enclosed 24ft/7m tall kids climbing wall with spiral slide, Bungee Trampoline, 9-hole Mini Golf course, the largest at sea Ropes course, Zip Line, The Plank - 8ft/2,5m extending platform)
- The ship's top deck features a 2-level electric go-cart track (Scuderia Ferrari), an outdoor laser tag course. Other prominent features are a virtual-reality gaming center (Oculus virtual reality technology), Galaxy Pavilion (interactive video walls), hovercraft bumper cars, water park with 2 multi-story waterslides, an outdoor park for tai-chi practicing, luxury-brand shopping district. One of the waterslides extends over the starboard side of the ship. The other waterslide is transparent.
- Vibe Beach Club (adults only).
- Curious fact is that NCL Joy's official onboard language is Mandarin (Chinese), and not English.
Norwegian Joy wiki
- Cabin grades number: 42
- Total number of cabins: 2100 (no Studios / Single cabins)
- Restaurants, bars and lounges: Main Dining Rooms and Buffet Restaurant (names tba), "PRIVATE ROOM AT TASTE” (100-seat group private dining), "SPIEGEL TENT" dining (featuring circus-theatrical entertainment), "BREEZEWAY GRILL" (casual), "BAR & GRILL" (complimentary fast food), "TASTE" (complimentary restaurant), "SHANGHAI’S" (Chinese), "OCEAN BLUE" (specialty seafood restaurant), "GARDEN CAFE" (buffet-style, with outdoor seating area), "THE HAVEN Restaurant”, "THE HAVEN Lounge & Bar”, "CARLO'S BAKE SHOP" (premium bakery), "LE BISTRO" (French specialty restaurant), "CAGNEY'S" and "MODERNO" (American and Brazilian steakhouses), "TEPPANYAKI" (Japanese seafood), "O'SHEEHAN'S BAR & GRILL" (English pub), "LA CUCINA" (Trattoria), "WASABI " (sushi), "DOLCE GELATO" (ice-cream), SVEDKA (ice bar), SPICE H2O, PRIME MERIDIAN, MIXX, Joy ULTRA, BAR 21, SHAKERS, ATRIUM, MALTINGS (beer & whisky bar), CIGAR Lounge & Bar, [more to be announced soon].
- Amenities: Complimentary 24-hr Room-Service, Supervised Kids Program ("NCL Kids"), Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry. NCL Joy tipping/gratuities are US$12 pp pd.
- Entertainment - Joy Theatre (big capacity grand productions lounge), Headliners Comedy Club, the NCL's FIREWORKS show (on each sailing), 3-deck Aqua Park (with 5 water slides, “Free Fall” drop slides, 2 racing slides and additional kids water park), racing simulators (Formula 1, Star Wars pods), virtual reality simulators (by Oculus), laser tag (kids), ropes course, go-kart track, casino, Spa & Fitness complex, Sports complex.
- The Norwegian Joy cruise ship is one of the two Breakaway Plus-class (new series) vessels of Norwegian Cruise Lines. Her sister in the fleet is Norwegian Escape (October 2015). Fun fact is, that the names of both NCL ships were selected through a contest hosted on-line.
- NCL Joy was built with new "scrubbers" (exhaust gas cleaning systems). The new technology reduces the equivalent of approx 1500 tons of the poisonous gas Sulfur Oxide. These in-line scrubbers (5 units) are lightweight and able to operate in dry mode, as well as in open and closed loops.
- The vessel's construction officially started on September 16, 2015, with the steel cutting ceremony at Meyer Werft shipyard (Papenburg, Germany). Instead of the traditional water method (injecting the metal with heat), for NCL Joy was used the dry plasma method - for more precise cuts and creating less mess).
- On October 12, 2015 NCL announced that the "Norwegian Bliss" named ship would be eventually renamed. The ship name “Norwegian Joy” (in Chinese “Xǐ Yue Hao”) was announced in 2016 on Feb 29. However, there are some speculations about the name "Norwegian Bliss" to be used for the NCL ship that enters service in 2018 (also a Breakaway-plus class vessel), with scheduled operations serving the North American market.
- On April 5, 2016, was held the official keel laying ceremony for the NCL Joy at Meyer Werft shipyard (Papenburg Germany). During the ceremony, the first keel block (weight 680 tons, one of all 80 blocks comprising the vessel) was lifted by a huge crane and placed into the shipyard's covered building hall. With this event was officially started the ship's assembly. Previously, a special commemorative coin was created and during the keel laying was traditionally placed under the first building block. The coin was blessed on March 31, 2016, at XingTian Temple (Shanghai) during a pledge ceremony to the Chinese goddess of the sea "Mazu".
- In March 2016, at Mazu Temple (Shanghai where, China) was held a traditional ceremony to obtain a blessing for the coins used in NCL Joy’s Keel laying ceremony. During the event, temple representatives gifted a Mazu ceramic statue to the NCL company. The statue was then brought to Germany for the vessel's official delivery. The statue was given a place of honor onboard the ship to carry Mazu's blessings on the repositioning cruise from Europe to China.
- On March 4, 2017, the vessel was floated out of the shipbuilding yard's covered dock 2 and was berthed at a pier for the remaining works. The conveyance via Ems River towards North Sea is scheduled for the end of March.
- The name of the ship's godmother (godfather in this case) was officially announced by NCL in late November 2016 - Wang Leehom (born 1976), Chinese-American singer, actor, producer and movie director. The NCL Joy's godfather also serves as the NCLH company's brand ambassador for the Chinese market, promoting NCL through various media (including social media) platforms.
- On March 4, 2017, the vessel was floated out from Papenburg shipyard's drydock hall. At the end of March 2017 was the planned conveyance along Ems River to North Sea. In North Sea were held sea trials before the official delivery (April 28, 2017). NCL Joy arrived in Shanghai China in late June for year-round operations.
- On March 26, 2017, the vessel was conveyed on Ems River from Papenburg (Germany) to Eemshaven (Holland). In the following days, the ship completed sea trials on North Sea, and was handed over to NCL on April 27.
- The ship was christened in Shanghai China on June 27, 2017. The lavish naming ceremony was held onboard and featured a live performance by the vessel's godfather Wang Leehom. He is a Chinese-American songwriter, singer, music producer, actor and film director. In homage to the eye-catching hull art (by the Chinese artist Tan Ping, who also attended the event), the christening ceremony started with a performance by well known dancer and choreographer Yabin Wang. The phoenix was selected as focal point for the hull artwork, as in Chinese culture the mythological bird represents beauty and good luck. The ceremony's pinnacle moment was when the godfather Wang Leehom and NCL executives simultaneously smashed champagne bottles against a replica ship's hull, which released an oversized Veuve Clicquot (Yellow Label Champagne) bottle that shattered against the cruise ship's hull.
Norwegian Joy was deployed for year-round operations in Asia. The NCL Joy ship is specifically designed to target the Chinese market. The vessel features a higher cruising speed allowing it to operate on longer itineraries to more distant ports of call.
- Following the April 2017 delivery, NCL Joy started its repositioning to China. The relocation cruise itinerary included showcasing events as part of grand inaugural port tours. These 1-day events were held at each of the itinerary's ports of call - Singapore, Qingdao, Shenzhen and Hong Kong. VIP partner cruises were also operated from the ship's Chinese home ports Shanghai and Tianjin-Beijing.
- The ship's ever first Chinese cruise (preview voyage from Shanghai to Kochi Japan) was on June 10, 2017. The 4-night long roundtrip voyage (June 10-15) was attended by over 1700 VIP guests from Alibaba Group (the world's largest online commerce company).
- The ship's christening ceremony was on June 27, 2017, led by the ship’s godfather Wang Leehom.
- NCL Joy's Inaugural Cruise from Shanghai was on June 28. Roundtrip itineraries out of Tianjin were scheduled for the period August 26 through September 15, 2017.
Godspeed to the new ship!
Norwegian Joy ship related cruise news
The largest cruise ship in Asia, Norwegian Joy, is custom-built for the Chinese market. Launched in 2017, Norwegian Joy (ordered as "Norwegian Bliss...July 8, 2017
Norwegian Cruise Line reiterated its commitment to Chinese cruise market, with ships from all 3 of the company’s brands scheduled to visit...September 26, 2016
- show more news
Other Norwegian Cruise Line cruise ships
Norwegian Joy Itineraries 2018
The below listed Norwegian Joy cruise prices on 2018 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Norwegian Cruise Line fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
25 December 2017 6 nights / 7 days, round-trip Osaka, Kochi and Hiroshima and from Shanghai
|25 Dec||Departing from Shanghai, China|
|27 Dec||At Sea|
|28 Dec 12:00 - 21:00||Kobe, Osaka-Kyoto, Japan|
|29 Dec 08:00 - 17:00||Kochi, Japan|
|30 Dec 07:00 - 15:00||Hiroshima, Japan|
|31 Dec||At Sea|
|01 Jan||Arriving in Shanghai, China|
06 March 2018 5 nights / 6 days, round-trip Cheju, Nagasaki and Kita-Kyushu from Shanghai
|06 Mar||Departing from Shanghai, China|
|08 Mar 12:00 - 20:00||Jeju Island, Cheju, South Korea|
|09 Mar 08:00 - 18:00||Nagasaki, Japan|
|10 Mar 08:00 - 18:00||Kitakyushu, Japan|
|11 Mar||At Sea|
|12 Mar||Arriving in Shanghai, China|
11 March 2018 6 nights / 7 days, round-trip Hiroshima, Kobe and Kochi from Shanghai
|11 Mar||Departing from Shanghai, China|
|13 Mar||At Sea|
|14 Mar 08:00 - 17:00||Hiroshima, Japan|
|15 Mar 11:00 - 23:00||Kobe, Osaka-Kyoto, Japan|
|16 Mar 08:00 - 16:00||Kochi, Japan|
|17 Mar||At Sea|
|18 Mar||Arriving in Shanghai, China|