Norwegian Joy Review and Specifications
Specifications of Norwegian Joy
|Builder||MEYER WERFT PAPENBURG GERMANY|
|Year of built||2017|
|Gross Tonnage||167400 gt|
|Former name||Norwegian Bliss|
|Passengers||4250 - 4400|
|Decks with cabins||15|
Review of Norwegian Joy
Launched in 2017, Norwegian Joy (former name Norwegian Bliss) is the 2nd of the three Breakaway Plus-class newest and biggest NCL ships – together with Norwegian Escape (2015) and Norwegian Bliss (2018). This class ships are approximately 7,000 GT larger in comparison to the previously biggest vessel of the line, Norwegian Epic. The NCL Joy ship cost US $920 million to build.
History - construction & ownership
Norwegian Cruise Line Corporation Ltd. (Norwegian) is a wholly owned subsidiary of NCL (Norwegian Cruise Line) Holdings Ltd. This American cruise company is headquartered in unincorporated Miami-Dade County, Florida. In 1966 Norwegian began operations under the name "Norwegian Caribbean Line". The NCL company is best known for the Freestyle Cruising concept, meaning that there are no set times and seating arrangements for meals, formal attire is not required. Norwegian is a publicly traded company with 44% publicly listed on NASDAQ, with major shareholders (as of 30 June 2014): Genting Group (28%), Apollo Global Management (20%), and TPG Capital (7.9%). NCL controls nearly 8% of the total worldwide share of cruise market.
The 163,000-ton, 5,400-passenger cruise ship Norwegian Joy is currently under construction by Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany). The newest of the NCL ships is scheduled to enter service for Norwegian Cruise Lines from 2017. The first name of the ship (Bliss) was selected in a USA TODAY contest. Norwegian Cruise Line largest and newest ships to date, weigh 163,000 GT each. The Joy ship will boast the innovative features found on Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway, as well as a number of new interactive experiences, yet to be revealed.
The Joy ship was ordered in 2014. The construction (under the name Norwegian Bliss) began on September 16, 2015. On October 12, 2015 it was announced that Bliss will be renamed and designed specifically for Chinese cruising market. On February 29, 2016 (leap year) the new name “Norwegian Joy” was officially announced. The name translates into Chinese as “Xi Yue Hao”. The Breakaway Plus-class ship Joy will feature food and onboard experiences catering for the preferences of Chinese holidaymakers.
Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) also will feature a different name in China - Nuò Wéi Zhēn, meaning "Promising, Exclusive and Authentic". The translation of "Bliss" into Chinese doesn't have positive connotations, hence the name change.
Cruise itinerary program
Norwegian Joy itinerary program is based on cruises in Asia with round-trip departures from China. The home-port of the ship is yet to be announced.
Most Norwegian Joy staterooms are 170-sq.foot Balcony rooms (1168). There are a total of 2206 staterooms in 42 categories. 47 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard Norwegian Joy are the Haven Deluxe Owner’s Suites (900 ft2).
Dining options - Food & Drinks
Norwegian Cruise Line provides passengers the freedom to savor gourmet dishes, various tastes and the flexibility to choose the number of courses to enjoy during the meal. On Norwegian Joy guests can choose between 11 complimentary dining options. They can also experience new flavors at signature specialty restaurants, such as Le Bistro, La Cucina, Cagney’s Steakhouse and Bayamo by James Beard Award winning chef Jose Garces. Norwegian’s signature specialty restaurants feature enhanced menus including favorite dishes and new tastes. Whether passengers prefer a light meal of a favorite soup or appetizer, or indulge in a dinner featuring Maine lobster, with the new à la carte options, they have the opportunity to create their own, desired dining experience.
Follows the complete list of Norwegian Joy restaurants and food bars.
- Private Room at Taste (100-seat, group private dining venue)
- Savor Restaurant (forward Dining Room, complimentary)
- Taste Restaurant (forward Dining Room, complimentary, with Your Time dining)
- Le Bistro (French specialty dinner-only restaurant; reservations-only; US$20 cover charge)
- Teppanyaki (Japanese Hibachi specialty, reservations-only restaurant; US$25; open for Lunch and Dinner; features live cooking demonstrations)
- MDR (aft-location Dining Room; complimentary; Freestyle dining, Dinner only)
- O’Sheehan’s Neighbourhood Bar & Grill (sports bar, with 24-hour American cuisine - burgers, steaks, desserts; complimentary)
- Shanghai’s Noodle Bar (Asian cuisine complimentary restaurant inside O’Sheehan’s Pub area)
- Food Republic (via partnership with Pubbelly Restaurant Group; specialty restaurant open for lunch through dinner, offers international cuisine; iPad ordering system)
- Pincho Tapas Bar (Latin dishes)
- Cagney’s Steakhouse (specialty dinner restaurant for prime steaks and gourmet seafood specialties; reservations-only, US$30 cover charge per person and free Kids Menu)
- Moderno Churrascaria (Brazilian steakhouse; reservations-only; US$20 per person cover charge; with outdoor seating waterfront area)
- La Cucina (Italian specialty restaurant; reservations-only, US$15 cover charge; with outdoor seating waterfront area)
- Sakura & Hibiscus (Korean hot pot restaurant; Korean barbecuef)
- Manhattan Room (Chinese cuisine and Western-style classics)
- Neptune's (seafood restaurant; a buffet of fresh seafood and an a la carte menu)
- Bayamo Restaurant (Cuban/Latin seafood restaurant)
- Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville At Sea (complimentary fast food restaurant)
- Breezeway Grill (casual dining)
- Garden Cafe (complimentary buffet restaurant with various cuisine stations).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
The new 4,200-passenger NCL Joy will feature an expanded Haven – the line’s concept “ship within a ship”. This space (accessible only by keycard) boasts an outdoor terrace, private restaurant, courtyard area with retractable roof pool, whirlpools, spa treatment rooms, separate sauna, private sundeck. Among the other features are the “678 Ocean Place” (spanning on 3 decks, with an amazing live entertainment in the evenings, several bars and alternative dining places), big-capacity water slides and a ropes course (both facilities catering to families).
Follows the complete list of Norwegian Joy lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Bliss/Joy Theatre (800-seat; features Broadway-style musical productions; two grand-shows per night)
- Atrium (3-deck midship hub area - “678 Ocean Place”, with a big-size LED screen, dance area and live entertainment)
- Atrium Cafe & Bar (specialty tea & coffee bar)
- Headliners Comedy Club & Lounge
- The Library; Card Room; Internet Cafe (24-hour)
- Mixx Bar (live piano music; pre-dinner cocktails); Bar 21; 5 O’Clock Somewhere Bar; Tobacco Road Liquor Bar; The Humidor (cigar lounge); The Cellars Wine Bar; Sugarcane Mojito Bar; Prime Meridian Bar; Studio Lounge
- Carlo’s Bake Shop (cakes, pastries, bakeries; cupcake classes)
- Grand Tea Room (high-end Chinese loose leaf teas, elegant snacks, high tea-style finger foods)
- La Cave (fine wine and spirits bar)
- Art Gallery
- Bliss/Joy Casino (served by Skyline Bar)
- Bliss/Joy Ultra Lounge & Nightclub
- The District Brew House (craft beer hall featuring a keg room, 24 draft beers on tap and 50 different bottled beers; via partnership with Wynwood Brewing Company, Miami)
- Dolce Gelato (Italian ice cream)
- Atrium Boutiques (tax-duty free shops); Photo Gallery & Shop
- Waterfront Promenade (1320 ft/402 m long; open air dining and entertainment venues)
- Aqua Park (3-deck, with two pools, 2 racing twist-slides and 5 multi-level waterslides)
- Kids venues, club lounges (Kid’s Aqua Park, Splash Academy for kids 3-12 yo, Guppies Nursery for kids 6 months to 2 yo)
- Mandara Spa & Fitness (Thermal Suite, Snow Room, Salt Room, Medi Spa, 24 Treatment Rooms, Beauty Salon, Barber Shop, fitness classes)
- Spice H2O (adults only; served by Breezeway Bar & Grill)
- Entourage Teen Centre (jukeboxes, table football, video arcades, teen disco)
- “The Haven” (Suite- and Villa-passengers only complex; consists of The Haven Courtyard, The Haven Restaurant, The Haven Lounge)
- Rock Climbing Wall; Jogging Track; Sports Complex (Spider Web - enclosed 24ft/7m tall kids climbing wall with spiral slide, Bungee Trampoline, 9-hole Mini Golf course, the largest at sea Ropes course, Zip Line, The Plank - 8ft/2,5m extending platform)
- Vibe Beach Club (adults only).
Norwegian Joy wiki
Year built 2017 (renamed from Norwegian Bliss)
Passenger capacity / crew capacity 3900 (4900 max) / 1750
Dimensions (Gross tonnage weight / LOA length) 163,000 tons / 1065 ft (324 m)
Flag State (registered in) Bahamas
Ship builder Meyer Werft (Germany)
Building cost USD 920 mill
Ship owner and Operator Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NCLH)
Christened by -
Official website link NCL.com
Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
In November 2015, the NCL company announced that their scheduled for launch in Summer 2017 cruise ship "Norwegian Bliss" (later renamed to Joy) will be deployed for year-round operations in Asia. The NCL Joy ship is specifically designed to target the Chinese market. The vessel features a higher cruising speed allowing it to operate on longer itineraries to more distant ports of call.