Norwegian Joy Review and Specifications
Specifications of Norwegian Joy
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||EUR 700 million (USD 920 million)|
|Owner||Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd|
|Speed||23 kn / 43 kph / 26 mph|
|Length (LOA)||326 m / 1070 ft|
|Beam (width)||42 m / 138 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||167400 gt|
|Passengers||4250 - 4400|
|Decks with cabins||15|
|Former names||Norwegian Bliss|
|Christened by||Wang Leehom|
Review of Norwegian Joy
Launched in 2017, Norwegian Joy (ordered as "Norwegian Bliss") is the 2nd of the three Breakaway Plus-class newest and biggest NCL ships – together with Norwegian Escape (2015) and Norwegian Bliss (2018). This class ships are approximately 7,000 GT larger in comparison to the previously biggest vessel of the line, Norwegian Epic. The NCL Joy ship cost US $920 million to build (October 2012 shiporder rates).
History - construction & ownership
Norwegian Cruise Line Corporation Ltd. (Norwegian) is a wholly owned subsidiary of NCLH (Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd). This American cruise company is headquartered in unincorporated Miami-Dade County, Florida. In 1966 Norwegian began operations under the name "Norwegian Caribbean Line". The NCL company is best known for the Freestyle Cruising concept, meaning that there are no set times and seating arrangements for meals, formal attire is not required. Norwegian is a publicly traded company with 44% publicly listed on NASDAQ, with major shareholders (as of 30 June 2014): Genting Group (28%), Apollo Global Management (20%), and TPG Capital (7.9%). NCL controls nearly 8% of the total worldwide share of cruise market.
The 163,000-ton, 5,400-passenger cruise ship Norwegian Joy is currently under construction by Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany). The newest of the NCL ships is scheduled to enter service for Norwegian Cruise Lines from 2017. The first name of the ship (Bliss) was selected in a USA TODAY contest. Norwegian Cruise Line largest and newest ships to date, weigh 163,000 GT each. The Joy ship will boast the innovative features found on Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway, as well as a number of new interactive experiences, yet to be revealed. The NCL Joy ship was ordered in 2014. The construction (under the name Norwegian Bliss) began on September 16, 2015. On October 12, 2015 it was announced that Bliss will be renamed and designed specifically for Chinese cruising market. On February 29, 2016 (leap year) the new name “Norwegian Joy” was officially announced. The name translates into Chinese as “Xi Yue Hao”. The Breakaway Plus-class ship Joy will feature food and onboard experiences catering for the preferences of Chinese holidaymakers. Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) also will feature a different name in China - Nuò Wéi Zhēn, meaning "Promising, Exclusive and Authentic". The translation of "Bliss" into Chinese doesn't have positive connotations, hence the name change.
In November 2016, Norwegian Cruise Line named Wang Leehom, the "King of Chinese Pop", as godfather to Norwegian Joy. The Chinese-American songwriter, singer, actor, film director and record producer will christen the 3,850-guest ship at an inauguration ceremony in summer 2017.
Cruise itinerary program
Norwegian Joy itinerary program is based on cruises in Asia with round-trip departures from China. The home-port of the ship is yet to be announced.
Most Norwegian Joy staterooms are 170-sq.foot Balcony rooms (1168). There are a total of 2206 staterooms in 42 categories. 47 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard Norwegian Joy are the Haven Deluxe Owner’s Suites (900 ft2).
Dining options - Food & Drinks
Norwegian Cruise Line provides passengers the freedom to savor gourmet dishes, various tastes and the flexibility to choose the number of courses to enjoy during the meal. On Norwegian Joy guests can choose between 11 complimentary dining options. They can also experience new flavors at signature specialty restaurants, such as Le Bistro, La Cucina, Cagney’s Steakhouse and Bayamo by James Beard Award winning chef Jose Garces. Norwegian’s signature specialty restaurants feature enhanced menus including favorite dishes and new tastes. Whether passengers prefer a light meal of a favorite soup or appetizer, or indulge in a dinner featuring Maine lobster, with the new à la carte options, they have the opportunity to create their own, desired dining experience.
Follows the complete list of Norwegian Joy restaurants and food bars.
- Private Room at Taste (100-seat, group private dining venue)
- Savor Restaurant (forward Dining Room, complimentary)
- Taste Restaurant (forward Dining Room, complimentary, with Your Time dining)
- Le Bistro (French specialty dinner-only restaurant; reservations-only; US$20 cover charge)
- Teppanyaki (Japanese Hibachi specialty, reservations-only restaurant; US$25; open for Lunch and Dinner; features live cooking demonstrations)
- MDR (aft-location Dining Room; complimentary; Freestyle dining, Dinner only)
- O’Sheehan’s Neighbourhood Bar & Grill (sports bar, with 24-hour American cuisine - burgers, steaks, desserts; complimentary)
- Shanghai’s Noodle Bar (Asian cuisine complimentary restaurant inside O’Sheehan’s Pub area)
- Food Republic (via partnership with Pubbelly Restaurant Group; specialty restaurant open for lunch through dinner, offers international cuisine; iPad ordering system)
- Pincho Tapas Bar (Latin dishes)
- Cagney’s Steakhouse (specialty dinner restaurant for prime steaks and gourmet seafood specialties; reservations-only, US$30 cover charge per person and free Kids Menu)
- Moderno Churrascaria (Brazilian steakhouse; reservations-only; US$20 per person cover charge; with outdoor seating waterfront area)
- La Cucina (Italian specialty restaurant; reservations-only, US$15 cover charge; with outdoor seating waterfront area)
- Sakura & Hibiscus (Korean hot pot restaurant; Korean barbecuef)
- Manhattan Room (Chinese cuisine and Western-style classics)
- Neptune's (seafood restaurant; a buffet of fresh seafood and an a la carte menu)
- Bayamo Restaurant (Cuban/Latin seafood restaurant)
- Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville At Sea (complimentary fast food restaurant)
- Breezeway Grill (casual dining)
- Garden Cafe (complimentary buffet restaurant with various cuisine stations).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
The new 4,200-passenger NCL Joy will feature an expanded Haven – the line’s concept “ship within a ship”. This space (accessible only by keycard) boasts an outdoor terrace, private restaurant, courtyard area with retractable roof pool, whirlpools, spa treatment rooms, separate sauna, private sundeck. Among the other features are the “678 Ocean Place” (spanning on 3 decks, with an amazing live entertainment in the evenings, several bars and alternative dining places), big-capacity water slides and a ropes course (both facilities catering to families).
Follows the complete list of Norwegian Joy lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Bliss/Joy Theatre (800-seat; features Broadway-style musical productions; two grand-shows per night)
- Atrium (3-deck midship hub area - “678 Ocean Place”, with a big-size LED screen, dance area and live entertainment)
- Atrium Cafe & Bar (specialty tea & coffee bar)
- Headliners Comedy Club & Lounge
- The Library; Card Room; Internet Cafe (24-hour)
- Mixx Bar (live piano music; pre-dinner cocktails); Bar 21; 5 O’Clock Somewhere Bar; Tobacco Road Liquor Bar; The Humidor (cigar lounge); The Cellars Wine Bar; Sugarcane Mojito Bar; Prime Meridian Bar; Studio Lounge
- Carlo’s Bake Shop (cakes, pastries, bakeries; cupcake classes)
- Grand Tea Room (high-end Chinese loose leaf teas, elegant snacks, high tea-style finger foods)
- La Cave (fine wine and spirits bar)
- Art Gallery
- Bliss/Joy Casino (served by Skyline Bar)
- Bliss/Joy Ultra Lounge & Nightclub
- The District Brew House (craft beer hall featuring a keg room, 24 draft beers on tap and 50 different bottled beers; via partnership with Wynwood Brewing Company, Miami)
- Dolce Gelato (Italian ice cream)
- Atrium Boutiques (tax-duty free shops); Photo Gallery & Shop
- Waterfront Promenade (1320 ft/402 m long; open air dining and entertainment venues)
- Aqua Park (3-deck, with two pools, 2 racing twist-slides and 5 multi-level waterslides)
- Kids venues, club lounges (Kid’s Aqua Park, Splash Academy for kids 3-12 yo, Guppies Nursery for kids 6 months to 2 yo)
- Mandara Spa & Fitness (Thermal Suite, Snow Room, Salt Room, Medi Spa, 24 Treatment Rooms, Beauty Salon, Barber Shop, fitness classes)
- Spice H2O (adults only; served by Breezeway Bar & Grill)
- Entourage Teen Centre (jukeboxes, table football, video arcades, teen disco)
- “The Haven” (Suite- and Villa-passengers only complex; consists of The Haven Courtyard, The Haven Restaurant, The Haven Lounge)
- Rock Climbing Wall; Jogging Track; Sports Complex (Spider Web - enclosed 24ft/7m tall kids climbing wall with spiral slide, Bungee Trampoline, 9-hole Mini Golf course, the largest at sea Ropes course, Zip Line, The Plank - 8ft/2,5m extending platform)
- Vibe Beach Club (adults only).
Norwegian Joy wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 42
- Total number of cabins: 2100 (no Studios / Single cabins)
- Restaurants, bars and lounges: Main Dining Rooms and Buffet Restaurant (names tba), "PRIVATE ROOM AT TASTE” (100-seat group private dining), "SPIEGEL TENT" dining (featuring circus-theatrical entertainment), "BREEZEWAY GRILL" (casual), "BAR & GRILL" (complimentary fast food), "TASTE" (complimentary restaurant), "SHANGHAI’S" (Chinese), "OCEAN BLUE" (specialty seafood restaurant), "GARDEN CAFE" (buffet-style, with outdoor seating area), "THE HAVEN Restaurant”, "THE HAVEN Lounge & Bar”, "CARLO'S BAKE SHOP" (premium bakery), "LE BISTRO" (French specialty restaurant), "CAGNEY'S" and "MODERNO" (American and Brazilian steakhouses), "TEPPANYAKI" (Japanese seafood), "O'SHEEHAN'S BAR & GRILL" (English pub), "LA CUCINA" (Trattoria), "WASABI " (sushi), "DOLCE GELATO" (ice-cream), SVEDKA (ice bar), SPICE H2O, PRIME MERIDIAN, MIXX, Joy ULTRA, BAR 21, SHAKERS, ATRIUM, MALTINGS (beer & whisky bar), CIGAR Lounge & Bar, [more to be announced soon].
- Amenities: Complimentary 24-hr Room-Service, Supervised Kids Program ("NCL Kids"), Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry. NCL Joy tipping/gratuities are US$12 pp pd.
- Entertainment - Joy Theatre (big capacity grand productions lounge), Headliners Comedy Club, the NCL's FIREWORKS show (on each sailing), 3-deck Aqua Park (with 5 water slides, “Free Fall” drop slides, 2 racing slides and additional kids water park), racing simulators (Formula 1, Star Wars pods), virtual reality simulators (by Oculus), laser tag (kids), ropes course, go-kart track, casino, Spa & Fitness complex, Sports complex.
- The Norwegian Joy cruise ship is one of the two Breakaway Plus-class (new series) vessels of Norwegian Cruise Lines. Her sister in the fleet is Norwegian Escape (October 2015). Fun fact is, that the names of both NCL ships were selected through a contest hosted on-line.
- On October 12, 2015 NCL announced that the "Norwegian Bliss" named ship will be eventually renamed. The ship name “Norwegian Joy” (in Chinese “Xǐ Yue Hao”) was announced in 2016 on Feb 29. However, there are some speculations about the name "Norwegian Bliss" to be used for the NCL ship that enters service in 2018 (also a Breakaway-plus class vessel), with scheduled operations serving the North American market.
In November 2015, the NCL company announced that their scheduled for launch in Summer 2017 cruise ship "Norwegian Bliss" (later renamed to Joy) will be deployed for year-round operations in Asia. The NCL Joy ship is specifically designed to target the Chinese market. The vessel features a higher cruising speed allowing it to operate on longer itineraries to more distant ports of call.
Norwegian Joy related cruise news
Norwegian Cruise Line named Wang Leehom, the "King of Chinese Pop", as godfather to Norwegian Joy. The Chinese-American songwriter, singer, actor...November 22, 2016
Norwegian Cruise Line will debut a giant new ship able to carry 4,000 guests on Seattle-Alaska cruises starting 2018, the company announced yesterday...October 14, 2016
A fire onboard Norwegian Joy, currently under construction in building dock II of Meyer Werft, was extinguished with no injuries. According to the...October 1, 2016
Norwegian Cruise Line reiterated its commitment to Chinese cruise market, with ships from all 3 of the company’s brands scheduled to visit...September 26, 2016
When the subject of Chinese cruise market came up at the news briefing on a preview sailing of Seven Seas Explorer recently, Frank Del Rio...July 31, 2016
Next summer, Norwegian Joy will sail into Shanghai with a painting of a large red phoenix across her steel hull. The red, blue and yellow painting by...July 28, 2016
The 3 Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings operating brands came together under one roof in Southampton UK. The relocation sees Oceania Cruises, Regent...June 17, 2016
Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) celebrated the keel laying ceremony for Norwegian’s first ship styled exclusively for Chinese passengers Norwegian...April 8, 2016
The NCL Norwegian Joy will debut as the first purpose-built liner of Norwegian Cruise Line for China, as well as the first in industry to...March 31, 2016
Norwegian Joy is the name of the first NCL (Norwegian Cruise Line) cruise ship to be built specially for Chinese passengers. The 3,900...March 1, 2016