AIDAaura Review and Specifications
Specifications of AIDAaura
|Year built||2003 / Age : 15|
|Builder||Aker MTW Werft (Lloyd Werft Wismar, Germany)|
|Building cost||USD 350 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||AIDA Kreuzfahrten (AIDA Cruises)|
|Speed||20 kn / 37 kph / 23 mph|
|Length (LOA)||202 m / 663 ft|
|Beam (width)||28 m / 92 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||42289 gt|
|Passengers||1266 - 1300|
|Decks with cabins||10|
|Christened by||Heidi Klum|
Review of AIDAaura
History - construction and ownership
AIDA Cruises is a Rostock-headquartered subsidiary company owned by Carnival Corporation. AIDA is Europe's largest German cruise line (followed by TUI) targeting younger and more active travelers. AIDA was founded in 1960 (as "Deutsche Seereederei") and in 2000 was acquired by P&O Princess Cruises, which in 2003 merged with Carnival Corporation (shipowner). AIDA's first World Cruise (AIDAcara) was in 2017-2018 (October-February) with 116-day roundtrip itinerary from Hamburg Germany.
The 42,289-ton, 1,300-passenger cruise ship AIDAaura was the third vessel joining AIDA fleet. The cruise ship is a larger and better version of the original Aida (now AIDAcara).
Besides the ship's staff and crew, AIDA cruise passengers are also served by Peper robots - latest cyborg technology implemented fleetwide in 2016. These humanoid robots greet and guide passengers upon embarkation. They also assist them throughout the cruise by providing information and tips on onboard dining, entertainment, enrichment program (workshops, pre-scheduled events), casino and shopping promotions, shore excursions and tours. Pepper robots are mobile and communicate in 3 languages (English, German, Italian). They can also interpret human emotions by analyzing voice tones and face expressions.
Cruise itinerary program
AIDAaura itinerary program is based on Middle East round-trip cruises from Dubai UAE and Mediterranean voyages with departures from Palma de Mallorca, Spain. Fares depend on the itinerary, cabin selection and time of travel. On AIDAaura, passengers can choose itineraries like a 10-day North American cruise for around $1,500 per person in an inside cabin and a 15-day transatlantic voyage for nearly $5,000 per person in an ocean-view stateroom.
Most AIDAaura staterooms are 150-185-sq.foot Oceanview rooms (357). There are a total of 633 staterooms 633 (of which 62 Balcony rooms, 357 Outside, 214 Inside) in 9 categories. The largest aboard AIDAaura are the Premium Suites (615 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
There are a couple of bigger restaurants onboard, the one of which is called the Calypso and the other - Markt Restaurant. Both offer open-seating, buffet meals. There are no strict dress codes, or fixed dining times. Basic beverages, including house wines and beer, are free of charge during meals at the buffet restaurants. There are also several beverage packages that may be bought at reduced rates. The extra-tariff a la carte Rossini includes waiter service and near-gourmet food with good quality.
Follows the complete list of AIDAaura restaurants and food bars.
- Rossini (specialty, dinner-only restaurant at surcharge, reservations required; offers waiter service and 6-course a-la-carte menu)
- Markt Restaurant (complimentary main dining room; self-service buffet restaurant with a variety of food stations and a small terrace)
- Calypso Restaurant (the second main dining room; complimentary buffet restaurant with indoor/outdoor seating).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
AIDAaura entertainment facilities include the theatre (Das Theater) – the largest public room onboard, and the huge AIDA Bar & Anytime Disco. The SPA Body & Soul and fitness Fit & Fun center are also big enough. A pool area is provided with a deck built like a beach – with many palm trees, artificial rock formations, volleyball and basketball courts. AIDAaura guests may choose from several shore excursion options. For example, on Grand Cayman island cruisers could try snorkeling, scuba diving, parasailing, horseback riding, or there is an option to spend spare time on shopping trips or visit the island's pristine beaches.
Follows the complete list of AIDAaura lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Kids Club (AIDA Cruises kids program is complimentary, with supervised, age appropriate activities: the 3 age groups include Seahorses for 3-6 yo, Dolphins for 7-9 yo and Sharks 10-11 yo; the Kids Club has outdoor area with a paddling pool)
- Internet stations with printers (located in the Reception/Lobby area; Wi-Fi coverage is avaolable shipwide, including in all guests rooms)
- Ocean Bar (cocktail bar with outdoor seating)
- The Theater (750-seat, 2-level main show venue for large-scale show productions; also hosts daily lectures, trivia games, Bingo)
- Conference Room (45-seat Konferenzraum / Seminarraume; part of the venue is the AIDA TV Studio, producing video films related to AIDAaura itinerary and activities, and a daily radio program)
- Art Gallery (Kunstgalerie) sells original artworks of renowned art schools and German artists. It hosts art auctions with "Blind Dates".
- AIDA Bar (big-capacity lounge with panoramic windows)
- Photo Gallery & Shop (professional photo & video services, duty-free accessories and equipment; new feature are the photo kiosks with touch-screens /face-recognition system)
- AIDA Shop (duty-free merchandise at discount prices; the shopping arcade has a general store selling liquor and tobaccos, as well as small boutiques for jewelry, luxury watches, perfumes, brand fashion clothing, AIDA logo goods)
- Nightfly Bar (adults-only cocktail bar & nightclub with panoramic windows and live music entertainment)
- Beauty Salon (Friseur; provides hairdresser, barber services, professional manicure/pedicure)
- Body & Soul Sport Fitness Centre (with a modern Gym and separate area for classes)
- Mini Golf (indoor putting green area); Golf simulator (virtual golf courses)
- Sunbathing area (Freibereich, served by the Pool Bar and the Pool Grill /American fast food fare)
- The Hemingway Lounge (the Library /Bibliotek; offers card and board games)
- Anytime Bar (Diskothek; ship’s disco & nightclub with DJ program and themed dance parties; during the day hosts organized dance classes)
- Time Tunnel (Video Games Arcade with Playstation consoles)
- Waikiki Lounge (teens club with supervised activities in two age groups – Orcas for 12 -13 yo and Teens 14 -17 yo; complimentary)
- Sports deck area (Sportaussendeck with a combined sports court for basketball/volleyball)
- Pool deck (with one swimming pool, 3 whirlpools, Pool Shop for towels, deck games - Shuffleboard, Giant Chess, Table Tennis, Backgammon, sunbathing areas; a stage for live performances, bingo evenings, nightly pool parties, laser shows is also available)
- Body & Soul SPA complex (with Beauty Salon & Spa Reception, massages /treatments rooms, indoor whirlpool, Aroma Sauna, Finish Sauna, Steam Room, relaxation room)
- Sundeck / sunbathing area (Freibereich, located above the swimming pool; with loungers and 2 whirlpools; the ship’s Top Deck is dedicated to Freikorperkultur / FKK Bereich nudist area with sunloungers)
- Power Walking/Jogging Track
AIDAaura 2013 refurbishment review
Deck plan changes after the ship's 2013 drydock refurbishment (April 18-28, done in Trieste Italy) included newly added teen lounge Waikiki (on Deck 10) and new Art Gallery (on Deck 8). The fitness equipment was upgraded, and all floors were replaced.
- Waikiki Lounge is an exclusive beach-bar for teenagers. It features floor-ceiling windows and is furnished with comfortable bean bags. Here are held parties, DJ workshops (mixing desk), Nintendo Wii game competitions.
- The ship's gym (part of the AIDA Body & Soul sports complex) received new cardio and weight equipment. Also added were new MyRide indoor cycles with virtual trainers.
- At the Art Gallery are displayed and available for purchasing well-known painters (including James Rizzi, Romero Britto, Udo Lindenberg). Onboard art auctions with "Blind Dates" are also regularly held.
- On the ship were also changed carpets in most public areas (approx 1800 m2). The new carpeting is made from environmentally friendly and recyclable materials. The old carpets were recycled and used as fuel for cement production.
- The AIDAaura cruise ship is the third vessel operated by the German line AIDA Kreutzfahrten. She is identical to her sister ship AIDAvita. Shortly before the delivery of the new vessel, Carnival Cruise Lines merged with P&O Princess. This way, the AIDA cruise line became part of the largest cruise operator in the world - Carnival Corporation & PLC.
- AIDA Aura ship carries her own supply of bicycles in order guests to use them in ports of call. Inside the ship, significant amount of space is devoted to sports.
- The onboard language is German, because the majority of AIDA cruise ship passengers are Germans and German-speaking Europeans (Austrians, Swiss). AIDA customers tend to be young and active; since older Germans gravitate to more traditional cruise lines on the German-speaking market.
World Cruise 2018-2019
On July 21, 2017, were opened bookings for AIDA's second world cruise on AIDAaura leaving from Hamburg on October 8, 2018.
- The 117-days long itinerary (October 8, 2018, through February 2, 2019) had scheduled a total of 41 ports in 20 different countries on 5 continents. Many of the visited destinations were maiden calls, inclusing South Africa, Namibia, South pacific (Melbourne Australia, Tasmania, Fiji, Samoa, New Caledonia). Among the most popular port destinations along the itinerary route are South America (Rio de Janeiro Brazil, Buenos Aires Argentina, Ushuaia Chile), Santiago Chile, Easter Island, Tahiti, Bora Bora, Samoa, French Polynesia. Sydney Australia, Tasmania, Fremantle-Perth Australia, Madagascar, South Africa, Namibia.
- Passengers will also enjoy an onboard New Year’s Eve party while the ship is in Mauritius.
- AIDA's 2018 world cruise pricess started from EUR 12,995 pp (USD 15,360 pp /inside cabin) and from EUR 16,565 pp (USD USD 19,580 pp / oceanview cabin).
Aura becane the second AIDA liner to operate around the world voyage - following AIDAcara (in 2017). Cara's 116-days long itinerary (October 17, 2017 through February 10, 2018) visited a total of 41 ports in 23 different countries on 5 continents. The route was westbound, featuring 1 Transatlantic crossing and 1 Suez Canal transit.
World Cruise 2019-2020
On Aug 3, 2018, were opened bookings for AIDA's 3rd world cruise (2nd on AIDAaura) leaving from Hamburg on October 28, 2019.
- The 117-day full itinerary (October 28, 2019, through February 22, 2020) had scheduled a total of 41 ports in 17 different countries, inclusing Australia (5 ports), New Zealand (3 ports), South America - Tierra del Fuego (Chilean Fjords), Brazil (Rio de Janeiro), Argentina (Buenos Aires), Pacific Ocean - Cook Islands, French Polynesia, Indian Ocean - Mauritius, South Africa, Namibia, Dakar, Canaries, stops in Lisbon and Le Havre (Paris).
- AIDAaura world cruise segments vary between 34-48 days (35-day Hamburg to San Antonio Chile, 48-day San Antonio to Mauritius, 34-day Mauritius to Hamburg). Segment prices started from EUR 4700 pp (including EUR 700 Early Saver discount for bookings made by May 31, 2019).
- New Year’s Eve is in Mauritius.
AIDAaura - user reviews and comments
Photos of AIDAauraAdd Photo
AIDAaura ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
On her World Cruise between October 28, 2019-February 22, 2020, AIDAaura is due to sail to 41 ports in 17 different countries. In addition to...August 4, 2018
- show more news
Other AIDA Cruises cruise ships
The below listed AIDAaura cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest AIDA Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 Jun 16||14 days, round-trip Norwegen Mit Lofoten & Nordkap||Kiel|
|2018 Jul 14||14 days, round-trip Norwegen Mit Lofoten & Nordkap||Kiel|
|2018 Aug 11||14 days, round-trip Grosbritannien & Irland||Kiel|
|2018 Aug 25||14 days, round-trip Grosbritannien & Irland||Kiel|
|2018 Sep 08||9 days, round-trip Perlen Der Ostsee 1||Kiel|
|2018 Sep 27||11 days, one-way from Kiel to Hamburg||Kiel|
|2018 Oct 08||35 days, one-way from Hamburg to San Antonio||Hamburg|
|2018 Nov 13||46 days, one-way from San Antonio to Port Louis||San Antonio|
|2018 Dec 30||34 days, one-way from Port Louis to Hamburg||Port Louis|
|2019 Feb 02||14 days, round-trip Winter Im Hohen Norden||Hamburg|
|2019 Feb 16||14 days, round-trip Winter Im Hohen Norden||Hamburg|
|2019 Mar 02||14 days, round-trip Winter Im Hohen Norden||Hamburg|
|2019 Mar 16||14 days, round-trip Winter Im Hohen Norden||Hamburg|
|2019 Mar 30||11 days, round-trip Nordische Inseln & Norwegen||Hamburg|
|2019 May 13||14 days, round-trip Golf Von Biscaya||Hamburg|
|2019 May 27||12 days, round-trip Schottische Inseln & Irland||Hamburg|
|2019 Jun 08||14 days, round-trip Golf Von Biscaya||Hamburg|
|2019 Jun 22||7 days, round-trip Schottische Highlights||Hamburg|
|2019 Jun 29||15 days, round-trip Norwegen Mit Lofoten & Vesteralen||Hamburg|
|2019 Jul 14||14 days, round-trip Golf Von Biscaya||Hamburg|
|2019 Jul 28||14 days, round-trip Grosbritannien & Irland 3||Hamburg|
|2019 Aug 11||11 days, one-way from Hamburg to Warnemunde-Rostock||Hamburg|
|2019 Aug 22||12 days, round-trip Scharengarten Der Ostsee||Warnemunde-Rostock|
|2019 Sep 03||12 days, round-trip Scharengarten Der Ostsee||Warnemunde-Rostock|
|2019 Sep 15||9 days, round-trip Norwegens Fjorde 5||Warnemunde-Rostock|
|2019 Sep 24||9 days, round-trip Sudskandinavien & Danzig||Warnemunde-Rostock|
|2019 Oct 03||14 days, round-trip Herbstliche Nordlichter||Warnemunde-Rostock|
|2019 Oct 17||11 days, one-way from Warnemunde-Rostock to Hamburg||Warnemunde-Rostock|
|2019 Oct 28||117 days, round-trip Weltreise 3||Hamburg|
|2019 Oct 28||34 days, one-way from Hamburg to San Antonio||Hamburg|
|2019 Dec 02||47 days, one-way from San Antonio to Port Louis||San Antonio|
|2020 Jan 19||34 days, one-way from Port Louis to Hamburg||Port Louis|
|2020 Feb 22||7 days, round-trip Norwegens Kuste 3||Hamburg||$675|
|2020 Feb 29||14 days, round-trip Winter Im Hohen Norden 3||Hamburg|
|2020 Mar 14||14 days, round-trip Winter Im Hohen Norden 3||Hamburg|