Star Princess Review and Specifications
Specifications of Star Princess
|Year built||2002 / Age : 16|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Monfalcone, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 450 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Speed||24 kn / 44 kph / 28 mph|
|Length (LOA)||289 m / 948 ft|
|Beam (width)||48 m / 157 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||108977 gt|
|Passengers||2596 - 3115|
|Decks with cabins||7|
|Christened by||Gunilla Antonini|
Current itinerary of Star Princess
Star Princess current cruise is 15 days, round-trip Hawaiian Islands. The itinerary starts on 04 Nov, 2018 and ends on 19 Nov, 2018.
|Date / Time||Port|
|04 Nov 16:00||Departing from Los Angeles, Long Beach, California|
|09 Nov 09:00 - 18:00||Hilo, Hawaii Island|
|10 Nov 07:00 - 23:00||Honolulu, Oahu Island, Hawaii|
|11 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Nawiliwili, Lihue, Kauai Island, Hawaii|
|12 Nov 07:00 - 18:00||Lahaina, Maui Island, Hawaii|
|18 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Ensenada, Baja California Mexico|
|19 Nov||Arriving in Los Angeles, Long Beach, California|
Review of Star Princess
History - construction and ownership
Princess Cruises is an US cruise company headquartered in Beverly Hills CA. A former subsidiary of P&O Princess Cruises (founded 1977), in 2003, the company merged with Carnival Corporation - world's largest passenger shipping company. Among Princess Cruises assets is the Caribbean private island resort Princess Cays (on Bahamas Eleuthera Island's southern end), located approx 80 km (50 ml) Nassau.
The 108,977-ton, 2,602-passenger cruise ship Star Princess might be a vessel which design was created over more than a decade ago, but Princess has not shown its age yet. The liner is big and offers mainly pluses - and occasional minuses - of its size with a wide diversity of onboard facilities which appeal to just about anybody. At the same time, Star Princess offers guests a choice of a traditional cruising experience or a modern one - or even a smattering of elements of both. During ship's 2008 dry-dock Star Princess received a boatload of new facilities, which included the Piazza, an energetic amusement space, on-site bakery, Internet cafe, and wine and sushi bar; the Sanctuary, an adults-only zone which boasts padded lounges, shady and sunny places; the for-fee Crown Grill, which menu blends seafood and steakhouse fare (instead the existing steakhouse on the cruise); and 7 new suites, each suite with sitting room, walk-in closet and shower/tub combo. Retail therapy got a makeover this time around as well, with a doubled-in-size Essence shop store on Deck 7 and Meridian Bay shifted to the site of the former Essence shop on Deck 6.
Cruise itinerary program
Star Princess itinerary program is based on cruises from San Francisco to Hawaii, Mexico and Alaska, alternating seasonally.
Most Star Princess staterooms are 170-sq.foot balcony rooms (515). Almost 80% of ship's outside accommodations have private balcony views. There are a total of 1297 staterooms in 34 categories. 25 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard Star Princess are the Grand Suites (615 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Star Princess passengers choose between open seating and two assigned dinner seatings; breakfast and lunch in all Princess restaurants are open seating. Alternative dinner venues include the reservations-only Sabatini’s Italian and Crown Grill restaurants (both with cover). All Princess Cruises Lido buffets are open around the clock. The Wheelhouse Bar serves a pub lunch, and a grill and pizzeria offer casual snack choices. The ice-cream bars and patisseries charge for premium ice cream and specialty coffee. A wine bar offers extra-charge artisan cheeses and evening snacks. Chef’s Table and Ultimate Balcony Dining options are also available, as is afternoon tea and room service.
Follows the complete list of Star Princess restaurants and food bars.
- Capri Restaurant (ship's aft Dining Room; dinner only - offers “Anytime Dining” between 5:30 p.m. -10 p.m.)
- Crown Grill (160-seat steakhouse/seafood restaurant, reservations recommended; on select days serves British Pub Lunch, complimentary)
- Portofino Restaurant (ship's forward Dining Room for Breakfast 7-9 a.m., Lunch 12-1:30 p.m., Afternoon Tea 3:30-4:30 p.m.; features “Anytime Dining” for Dinner between 5:30-8 p.m. or 8-10 p.m.)
- Amalfi Restaurant (dinner only aft Dining Room; with 2 fixed seatings at 5:45 and 8 p.m.)
- Sabatini’s Restaurant (Italian specialty restaurant; reservations recommended)
- Trident Grill & Prego Pizzeria (self service, complimentary fast food bar)
- Horizon Court (self service buffet restaurant, complimentary).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Both the Vista Lounge and Princess Theater can host featured entertainers and production shows, and each of the shows runs several times. The Princess Theater is more like a Broadway theater than a cruise-ship typical show lounge. It features same-level orchestra seating, stadium seating behind, as well as a few boxes. The Vista Lounge is cabaret-style, with chairs grouped around small drink tables and big windows making the room light during the day. The Explorers Lounge and Wheelhouse Bar are located side by side on the Promenade Deck. These smaller entertainment venues host karaoke, pianists, dance bands and theme parties, as well as games and trivia during the day.
Follows the complete list of Star Princess lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- The Piazza Atrium (3-deck open floor area; features live performances entertainment and lobby Bar Piazza)
- Princess Fine Arts Gallery; Photo Gallery & Shop; Platinum Studio
- International Cafe (24-hour specialty coffee bar and patisserie)
- Vines Bar (wine/seafood/sushi bar)
- Library (with Internet stations); Internet Cafe (24-hour)
- Princess Star Theatre (2-level musical and show productions; hosts workshops, seminars, gameshows)
- Shooter’s Lounge & Bar (smoking lounge and sports bar)
- Vines Shop; Calypso Cove Shop; Essence Shop; Meridian Bay Shop; Facets Shop
- Princess Star Grand Casino
- Crooners Lounge & Bar (live music; also used for seminars); Vista Lounge & Bar
- Explorers Lounge & Bar (disco/show lounge; hosts karaoke, comedy, game shows and art auctions)
- Wheelhouse Bar (piano bar during the day and an English pub nightly)
- Scoops Bar (Sundaes Ice Cream Bar, complimentary)
- Outrigger Bar (poolside bar); Tradewinds Bar
- Star’s Lotus Spa complex; Beauty Salon; Fitness Center (with Aerobics Studio)
- Hearts & Minds (Wedding Chapel)
- Movies Under the Stars (LED screen outdoor cinema)
- Video Games Arcade; Teen Center; Youth Center with Paddling Pool and outdoor playing areas
- The Conservatory (recreation area); The Sanctuary (adult-only open air area); The Oasis relaxation area
- Calypso Reef & Pool area; Neptune’s Reef & Pool area
- The Skywalker (Jogging Track); Sports Court (volleyball, basketball, European football); Shuffleboard, Deck Chess; Princess Links mini golf course
- Skywalkers Disco Nightclub.
Star Princess 2017 refurbishment review
- All passenger cabins received new bedding (all beds were replaced with Princess Luxury Bed).
- The ship's kids and teen lounges (part of "Camp Discovery") were renovated and updated via partnership with Discovery Channel (as part of Princess Cruises' complimentary onboard children program "Discovery at Sea").
- To the onboard Boutiques (Shops of Princess) were added "Fragrance & Cosmetic" and "Effy Fine Jewelry".
- Sabatini’s Italian Trattoria (specialty restaurant) was updated with new decor and new menu (partnership with Chef Angelo Auriana).
- The ship's wellness complex (Lotus Spa and Fitness Center) was upgraded with latest gym equipment.
- The onboard Casino was redesigned and received new carpeting.
- Among the other upgrades were new upholstery and carpeting throughout the ship.
- The ship's 2018 refurbishment was part of Princess Cruises' USD 450 million multi-year fleet renovation program "Come Back New Promise".
Star Princess wiki
- Princess Cruises Star ship was built in 2002, and was christened by Gunilla Antonini, the wife of Dr Corrado Antonini, executive chairmen of the shipbuilding company Fincantieri. The ship began her 26-day maiden voyage in the Pacific Ocean on the 13th of February, 2002. The Star ship is the first of the line's Grand-class series. Her sisters in the fleet are Golden and Grand. The other vessels from this series in the Princess fleet are Caribbean, Crown, Diamond, Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire.
- Fun fact is, that earlier there was another vessel with the name "Star Princess". Currently, this ship cruises under the name Columbus (former "Pacific Pearl" operated by P&O Australia).
Star Princess - user reviews and comments
Photos of Star PrincessAdd Photo
Star Princess ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
P&O Cruises Australia announced that a 2nd Grand Class ship will join the fleet while bidding farewell to one of line's “jewels” as...August 24, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Princess Cruises' Star Princess was due to arrive in Astoria on Sunday, April 8, but had to bypass Columbia River Bar because of impending storm...April 9, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Star Princess returned to service following a 2-week multi-million renovation, outfitting the vessel with some of the latest product innovations and...January 10, 2018
- Cruise Industry
The last cruise ship set to sail during this year's season departed from Vancouver on Saturday, December 16, and marked the end of 31st consecutive...December 18, 2017
- Cruise Industry
A passenger onboard Princess Cruises ship Star Princess was caught on camera performing a dangerous and forbidden act. Filmed from the dock...May 11, 2017
U.S. Coast Guard rescued a passenger in distress from a Princess Cruises ship 86 miles southwest of San Diego on Monday morning. The 73-year...February 21, 2017
An outbreak of norovirus on Princess cruise to Hawaii sent at least one passenger home early. In the early morning of October 4 Star Princess docked...October 6, 2015
- show more news
Other Princess Cruises cruise ships
Star Princess Itineraries
The below listed Star Princess cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Princess Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 Nov 04||15 days, round-trip Hawaiian Islands||Los Angeles|
|2018 Nov 19||15 days, round-trip Hawaiian Islands||Los Angeles||$1448|
|2018 Dec 04||30 days, one-way from Los Angeles to Buenos Aires||Los Angeles|
|2018 Dec 04||16 days, one-way from Los Angeles to San Antonio||Los Angeles||$848|
|2018 Dec 20||14 days, one-way from San Antonio to Buenos Aires||San Antonio||$1448|
|2019 Jan 03||14 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to San Antonio||Buenos Aires||$1098|
|2019 Jan 17||14 days, one-way from San Antonio to Buenos Aires||San Antonio||$1199|
|2019 Jan 31||14 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to San Antonio||Buenos Aires||$1699|
|2019 Feb 14||14 days, one-way from San Antonio to Buenos Aires||San Antonio||$1699|
|2019 Feb 28||30 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Los Angeles||Buenos Aires||$2683|
|2019 Feb 28||14 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to San Antonio||Buenos Aires|
|2019 Mar 14||16 days, one-way from San Antonio to Los Angeles||San Antonio||$912|
|2019 Mar 30||28 days, round-trip Hawaii, Tahiti & Samoa||Los Angeles||$3948|
|2019 Apr 27||12 days, round-trip Inside Passage (Roundtrip Los Angeles with Glacier Bay)||Los Angeles||$1329|
|2019 May 09||3 days, one-way from Los Angeles to Vancouver||Los Angeles||$249|
|2019 May 12||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seattle||Vancouver||$849|
|2019 May 19||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (Roundtrip Seattle)||Seattle||$1029|
|2019 May 26||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (Roundtrip Seattle)||Seattle||$1059|
|2019 Jun 02||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (Roundtrip Seattle)||Seattle||$1019|
|2019 Jun 09||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (Roundtrip Seattle)||Seattle||$1029|
|2019 Jun 16||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (Roundtrip Seattle)||Seattle||$1079|
|2019 Jun 23||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (Roundtrip Seattle)||Seattle||$1049|
|2019 Jun 30||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (Roundtrip Seattle)||Seattle||$1249|
|2019 Jul 07||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (Roundtrip Seattle)||Seattle||$1129|
|2019 Jul 14||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (Roundtrip Seattle)||Seattle||$1129|
|2019 Jul 21||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (Roundtrip Seattle)||Seattle||$1129|
|2019 Jul 28||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (Roundtrip Seattle)||Seattle||$1099|
|2019 Aug 04||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (Roundtrip Seattle)||Seattle||$1049|
|2019 Aug 11||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (Roundtrip Seattle)||Seattle||$999|
|2019 Aug 18||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (Roundtrip Seattle)||Seattle||$949|
|2019 Aug 25||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (Roundtrip Seattle)||Seattle||$949|
|2019 Sep 01||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (Roundtrip Seattle)||Seattle||$929|
|2019 Sep 08||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (Roundtrip Seattle)||Seattle||$999|
|2019 Sep 15||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (Roundtrip Seattle)||Seattle||$979|
|2019 Sep 22||7 days, round-trip Northern California Coast||Seattle||$839|
|2019 Sep 29||7 days, round-trip Northern California Coast||Seattle||$799|
|2019 Oct 06||1 day, one-way from Seattle to Vancouver||Seattle||$99|
|2019 Oct 07||15 days, round-trip Hawaiian Islands||Vancouver||$1649|
|2019 Oct 22||10 days, round-trip Classic California Coast||Vancouver||$1209|
|2019 Nov 01||3 days, one-way from Vancouver to Los Angeles||Vancouver||$299|
|2019 Nov 04||15 days, round-trip Hawaiian Islands||Los Angeles||$1649|
|2019 Nov 19||15 days, round-trip Hawaiian Islands||Los Angeles||$1549|
|2019 Dec 04||15 days, round-trip Hawaiian Islands||Los Angeles||$1549|
|2019 Dec 19||15 days, round-trip Hawaiian Islands||Los Angeles||$1949|
|2020 Jan 03||10 days, round-trip Baja Peninsula & Sea of Cortez||Los Angeles||$1029|
|2020 Jan 13||15 days, round-trip Hawaiian Islands||Los Angeles||$1649|
|2020 Jan 28||15 days, round-trip Hawaiian Islands||Los Angeles||$1649|
|2020 Feb 12||15 days, round-trip Hawaiian Islands||Los Angeles||$1649|
|2020 Feb 27||15 days, round-trip Hawaiian Islands||Los Angeles||$1649|
|2020 Mar 13||15 days, round-trip Hawaiian Islands||Los Angeles||$1649|
|2020 Mar 28||10 days, round-trip Baja Peninsula & Sea of Cortez||Los Angeles||$1179|
|2020 Apr 07||7 days, one-way from Los Angeles to Vancouver||Los Angeles||$779|