Costa Luminosa Review and Specifications
Specifications of Costa Luminosa
|Builder||Fincantieri (Marghera, Italy)|
|Building cost||EUR 450 million (USD 550 million)|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Speed||23 kn / 43 kph / 26 mph|
|Length (LOA)||294 m / 965 ft|
|Beam (width)||35 m / 115 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||92720 gt|
|Passengers||2260 - 2712|
|Decks with cabins||6|
|Christened by||Noa Vezzali, Valentina Vezzali|
Review of Costa Luminosa
Launched in 2009, Costa Luminosa is the first of Costa Cruises Luminosa-class ships, together with Costa Deliziosa. The ship cost US $550 million to build.
History - construction & ownership
Costa Crociere is a British-American owned Italian cruise line based in Genoa, Italy. Costa is one of the main operating companies in the Carnival group, and a member of the exclusive “World’s Leading Cruise Lines Alliance” (WLCLA), which also includes Carnival, Cunard, Holland America, The Yachts of Seabourn, Princess, and Windstar. One of the best cruise lines for Mediterranean and among the best family lines, the Costa company rules over Europe with its best “Italian Style Cruising” experiences.
The 92,720-ton, 3,570-passenger cruise ship Costa Luminosa is a twin vessel to Costa Cruises Deliziosa ship. This huge and warm liner with simple design is easy to navigate. Luminosa debuted in 2009, introducing the evolution of retro-style for Costa cruise lines. The line which is based in Italy and is much European-influenced, has produced mega-sized cruise vessels as the 114,500-ton Costa Pacifica and Costa Serena (the biggest-ever in fleet).
Cruise itinerary program
Costa Luminosa itinerary program is based on 10-day Caribbean round-trip cruises with departures from Miami FL. In the summer, Luminosa sails in Europe on Baltic Sea itineraries to Scandinavia and Russia ports leaving from Stockholm and St. Petersburg, with Transatlantic crossings on repositioning.
Most Costa Luminosa staterooms are 185-sq.foot Balcony rooms (682) - 68% of all staterooms have a private balcony. There are a total of 1130 staterooms in 14 categories. 23 are the wheelchair accessible cabins. The largest aboard Costa Luminosa are the Grand Suites (455 ft2). The most magnificent among Luminosa apartments is the Panorama. It is situated aft and measures 320 sq.feet, with best feature the wraparound balcony, but there what to like inside, too. Panorama’s width is as much as two standard rooms, and feels quite spacious, including a desk, seating place, queen bed (converting to twins), and beautiful bath with two sinks and Jacuzzi tub. Those who dwell Luminosa suites have access to priority embarkation, concierge service, and lots of other perks.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
Costa Luminosa features four restaurants. Its MDR, Taurus, is a beautiful 2-deck venue in the aft of the ship with gorgeous views. One of its best features is the way it is designed into smaller areas, each with a different ambience. The buffet restaurant, called Ristorante Buffet Andromeda, is open for breakfast, lunch and tea (late-afternoon snack). Andromeda operates in a lunch counter fashion, where passengers line up to plod through the variety of offerings, which is quite uncomfortable. The quality of the food is the usual steam-table fare, though some exceptions include the omelet station at breakfast, the pasta station at lunch, and the hot and crispy pizza slices available from lunchtime through the evening.
Follows the complete list of Costa Luminosa restaurants and food bars.
- Ristorante Samsara (serves healthy and low calorie food; with complimentary dining room for guests in Samsara Spa cabins, and a specialty restaurant for other passengers, at surcharge/reservations required)
- Ristorante Taurus (aft Dining Room, complimentary; serves open seating breakfast and lunch, 2 fixed dinner seatings - at 6:30 p.m. and 9 p.m.)
- Ristorante Buffet Andromeda (self-service buffet restaurant, complimentary; offers breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea at 4-5:00 p.m., and dinner; in the evening is transformed into Pizzeria, complimentary, with waiter service)
- Club Luminosa (specialty dinner restaurant; reservations-only)
- Lido Dorado Bar & Buffet (offers snacks and sandwiches, lunch buffet station).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
Costa Cruises Deliziosa and Luminosa ships are built on new smaller for Costa lines design. The balance of slightly smaller size and exotic routes plays a good part into the wish of Costa to orient these two cruise ships to higher-spending guests. Luminosa cruise ship appeals to new passengers who want to travel to thrilling destinations on a vessel still offering all mega-sized conveniences of Costa Crociere. And these are from vast spa amenities and kids club to Grand Prix simulator and other amusement options. Costa Luminosa ship provides two dining rooms, casino, theater, two show lounges, library, steam room, modern fitness center, four pools & five jacuzzis plus SPA.
Follows the complete list of Costa Luminosa lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Teatro Phoenix (800-seat, 3-tiered theatre and main show lounge; hosts grand scale show productions, musicals, classical concerts, ballet performances, circus and laser light shows)
- Cinema Mizar (4D cinema room, featuring 3D films with moving seats)
- Grand Bar Elettra (with own dance floor and stage for live performances; hosts quiz games and fashion reviews)
- Rigel Cigar Lounge & Bar (selling cigars and fine liquor)
- Sala Carte (cards room)
- Casino Vega (served by bar Vega)
- Luminosa Atrium (9-deck high “Atrio Supernova” - open-floor area with live music and entertainment, served by Atrium Lobby Bar Supernova)
- Discoteca Altair (Disco & Nightclub, DJ program nightly)
- Antares Piano Bar (live music, dance floor, cabaret-style performances)
- Caffetteria Sirius (chocolates & specialty coffee bar)
- Biblioteca Bellatrix & Internet Point (Library & Internet computers room)
- Galleria Shops (duty & tax free shops for brand watches, jewelry, perfumes, fashion clothes, Costa-logo merchandise, sportswear, gifts, tobacco and liquor)
- Photo Gallery & Shop; Galleria d’Arte (Luminosa’s Art Gallery)
- Libra Lounge & Bar; Virgo Lounge & Bar
- Bar Scuderia Costa (themed bar Formula 1 with Grand Prix simulator)
- Mondo Virtuale (Video Games Arcade)
- Cappella (Wedding Chapel, also used for religious services)
- Squok Club (kids lounge with Mini Club (3-6 yo) and Maxi Club (7-11 yo) playing rooms; with complimentary kids programme and supervised activities; complimentary babysitting)
- Teen Zone (teenagers' lounge with Teen Junior (12-14 yo) and Teen Club (15-17 yo) rooms; complimentary supervised activities, themed parties, sport contests)
- Centro Banessere Samsara (2-level Spa & Wellness complex, with Fitness and separate Spinning/Aerobics Room; Venus Beauty Salon, Massages and Treatments Rooms, Japanese TeaRoom, Relaxation Room, Thermal Suites, Solarium, Tepidarium (heated loungers), Laconium (low humidity sauna), Aroma Steam Baths, Thalassotherapy pool, Turkish Bath, Solarium, Saunas, Kinesis Room. All Luminosa’s guests in Samsara Spa staterooms have free access to most of the Spa complex)
- Lido Dorado pool area (lido pool with two Whirlpools, huge LED screen, PlayStation nights; served by Lido Dorado Bar)
- Delphinus pool area (with two Whirlpools, served by Lido Delphinus Bar)
- Lido Squok (kids’ mini Aqua park)
- Balconata Dorado (outdoor movie screen)
- Area Yoga (outdoor area)
- Campo da Gioco (combined court for tennis and basketball); Pista da Jogging (Power Walking/Jogging Track), doubled with a Roller Skating Track; Putting Green Area; Virtual Golf Game.
Costa Luminosa wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 13
- Total number of cabins: 1130 (of which 110 Suites, 662 Balcony, 180 Inside rooms)
- Dining Rooms: Taurus
- Restaurants and food bars: buffets (Andromeda, Dorado), Club Luminosa (steakhouse), Samsara (Spa rooms passengers).
- Lounges & Bars: Phoenix (theater), Altair (nightclub on 2 levels), Supernova (lobby), Sirius (chocolates, patisserie), Antares (piano), Elettra, Rigel (smoking), Libra, Virgo, teenagers-kids clubs (Teen Zone, Squok Club), poolside bars.
- Amenities: complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service & Babysitting, Supervised Children Program, Internet, Laundry, Onboard Weddings, Spa Staterooms (52, with 4 Spa Suites).
- Vega (casino), roundship Promenade (on Deck 3), Gym, Samsara Spa, 4 jacuzzis, 3 pools (Dorado /covered, Delphinus, kids pool), Jogging-Roller Skating Tracks, Luminosa Water Park with slide, Mizar (4D cinema), F1 car simulator, PlayStation World (PS3 games).
- Costa cruise ship Luminosa was christened in a dual ceremony - together with the Costa Pacifica ship. This unusual (for that time) event set a Guinness record. Another fun fact is that both ships were also launched in their shipyards at the same day - Luminosa in Venice (Marghera yards) and Pacifica in Genoa (Sestri Ponente yards).
- Costa Luminosa cruise ship is the 1st of the Costa's two Luminosa-class vessels (first cruise June 3, 2009), a Panamax ship. Her sister in the fleet is Costa Deliziosa, (both with a hybrid Vista-Spirit class design).
- Luminosa was christened together with Costa Pacifica on the 5th June 2009 in Genoa. This was the first dual christening ceremony in the history and also a Guinness World Record.
- Among the amenities onboard Luminosa is the three-level wellness facility with gym, called "Samsara Spa". It offers the guest Turkish bath, a thalassotherapy pool, UVA ray solarium, sauna, many treatment rooms. Entertainment options on board include a 4D cinema, a huge three-level theater, an 18-hole championship golf simulator, PlayStation World area, Grand Prix race car simulator. The ship also has 290 original artworks and 4730 prints onboard.
- For the summer 2016 season, Costa Cruises started new shore tours to Moscow (Russia). The unique shore excursion offering was part of the Costa Luminosa's 2016 Baltic cruise itinerary program in Northern Europe. The new tour to Moscow is during the ship's overnight port stay in St Petersburg. The new Russian tour deals are price inclusive of a total of 8 hours high-speed train travel on the Sapsan railway.
Costa Luminosa related cruise news
Panama Canal 2015-2016 cruise ship season will officially start on October 3. The transit of Costa Luminosa is first in line, on around the world...September 27, 2015
Costa Cruises announced yesterday (September 14) that Costa Luminosa started her world cruise departing from Savona, Italy for 98 days...September 15, 2015
Australia's annual Cruise Week kicked off yesterday (September 6) with more value-adds and savings for Australian vacationers than at any other time...September 7, 2015
Costa Cruises will base Costa Deliziosa at Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale FL for a series of Caribbean voyages, beginning December...May 21, 2015
- show more news
Other Costa Cruises cruise ships
Costa Luminosa Itineraries 2017
The below listed Costa Luminosa cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Costa Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|15 Feb||Departing from Valparaiso, Santiago, Chile|
|20 Feb 09:00 - 18:00||Easter Island, Hanga Roa, Chile|
|26 Feb 08:00 - 22:00||Moorea Island, Society Islands, French Polynesia|
|27 Feb 05:00 - 15:00||Papeete, Tahiti Island, French Polynesia|
|02 Mar 08:00 - 18:00||Bora Bora Island, Society Islands, French Polynesia|
|06 Mar 08:00 - 17:00||Nukualofa, Tongatapu, Tonga|
|09 Mar 08:00 - 20:00||Auckland, New Zealand|
|13 Mar 07:00 - 18:00||Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|16 Mar||Arriving in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia|
|17 Mar||Departing from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia|
|21 Mar 09:00 - 22:00||Fremantle, Perth, Western Australia|
|29 Mar 08:00 - 18:00||Colombo, Sri Lanka|
|30 Mar 12:00 - 14:00||Cochin, India|
|01 Apr 10:00 - 18:00||Mormugao, Goa, India|
|02 Apr 10:00 - 21:00||Mumbai, Bombay, India|
|06 Apr 08:00 - 13:00||Dubai, Port Rashid, UAE|
|08 Apr 08:00 - 18:00||Muscat, Oman|
|10 Apr 08:00 - 18:00||Salalah, Oman|
|15 Apr 08:00 - 19:00||Aqaba, Jordan|
|19 Apr 08:00 - 13:00||Heraklion, Crete, Greece|
|21 Apr 09:00 - 19:00||Civitavecchia, Rome, Italy|
|22 Apr||Arriving in Savona, Italy|