CMV (Cruise and Maritime Voyages)
Marco Polo Review and Specifications
Specifications of Marco Polo
|Year built||1965 / Age : 53|
|Builder||VEB Mathias-Thesen-Werft (Wismar, Germany)|
|Owner||Global Maritime Group Inc|
|Operator||CMV (Cruise and Maritime Voyages)|
|Speed||21 kn / 39 kph / 24 mph|
|Length (LOA)||176 m / 577 ft|
|Beam (width)||23 m / 75 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||22080 gt|
|Passengers||800 - 850|
|Decks with cabins||8|
|Former names||MS Aleksandr Pushkin|
Current itinerary of Marco Polo
Marco Polo current cruise is 33 days, round-trip West Indies & Azores. The itinerary starts on 05 Nov, 2018 and ends on 08 Dec, 2018.
|Date / Time||Port|
|05 Nov 16:00||Departing from London Greenwich, England|
|06 Nov 09:00 - 17:00||Amsterdam, Holland|
|11 Nov 08:00 - 19:00||Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel Island, Azores|
|12 Nov 07:00 - 16:00||Horta, Faial Island, Azores|
|18 Nov 09:00 - 22:00||St Johns, Antigua|
|19 Nov 08:00 - 20:00||Philipsburg, St Maarten Island, Dutch Antilles|
|20 Nov 07:00 - 16:00||Basseterre, St Kitts Island|
|21 Nov 09:00 - 23:00||Castries, St Lucia Island|
|22 Nov 07:00 - 19:00||Mayreau Island, Grenadines|
|23 Nov 07:00 - 12:00||Saint Vincent Island, Kingstown, Grenadines|
|23 Nov 14:00 - 22:00||Bequia Island, Port Elizabeth, Grenadines|
|24 Nov 07:00 - 19:00||St Georges, Grenada|
|25 Nov 07:00 - 16:00||Bridgetown, Barbados|
|02 Dec 12:00 - 20:00||Funchal, Madeira Island, Portugal|
|04 Dec 08:00 - 18:00||Lisbon, Portugal|
|08 Dec 08:00||Arriving in London Greenwich, England|
Review of Marco Polo
MS Marco Polo cruise ship is owned by Global Maritime and currently operated under charter by the UK-based travel company Cruise And Maritime Voyages (CMV). The ship was previously operated by Transocean Tours (Germany). The vessel was built in 1965 by Mathias-Thesen Werft (East Germany) as “Aleksandr Pushkin” for Baltic Shipping Company (USSR / Soviet Union).
NEWS: In early June 2017 was reported that Marco Polo leaves CMV fleet in May 2018, as the shipowner (Global Maritime Group) puts the vessel for sale. Currently, the last CMV cruise on Marco Polo is scheduled for September 19, 2019.
History - construction abd ownership
The 22,080-ton, 820-passenger cruise ship ms Marco Polo is among the top choices for small ship cruising out of the United Kingdom. Fellow passengers are affluent, middle-aged, well-traveled and mostly repeat guests. MS Marco Polo has a classic profile, traditional dark hull and teak decks. Ship's deep draught and stabilisers give comfortable ride. Marco Polo refits have kept accommodation, public rooms, guests’ facilities and navigational technology up to date. The compact size of the vessel helps access smaller ports, in which bigger vessels do not venture.
Marco Polo was refurbished in November 2014 at Vlissingen shipyard, Holland. The work was done by Damen company shiprepair & marine vessel conversion company. Ship's dry dock featured an extensive survey, followed by regular maintenance work – hull washing-painting, lifeboats maintenance-recertification, valves overhaul, gangway platforms repair.
In November 2015 Cruise and Maritime Voyages' ms Marco Polo celebrated its half century with a couple of 50th anniversary voyages. When CMV Marco Polo debuted in 1965 it was named the Alexandr Pushkin, after the famed Russian poet, and was one of the five poet-class vessels built at Mathias-Thesen Werft docks at Wismar, former East Germany.
Marco Polo was extensively refurbished in 1975. In 1984 the ship joined CTC Cruises Australia's fleet with 18-30 Holiday cruises. In 1991, "The Alex" (as Aussies called the vessel) was purchased by the British entrepreneur Gerry Herrod, who took it to Greece to be re-built over the following 3-year period.
Emerging as Orient Lines' ms Marco Polo, the cruise ship specialised in expedition voyages to the Far East. A helicopter was available on the purpose-built heli-deck to observe whales and wildlife. The line was bought In 1998 by NCL Norwegian Cruise Lines. Eventually, in 2008 Marco Polo was sold to Greece's Global Maritime Group Inc (Global Cruise Lines), its present owners, to be operated by CMV.
In the end of 2015, Damen Shiprepair Vlissingen (DSV), part of Damen Shiprepair & Conversion (DSC), said farewell to ms Marco Polo, which was in for her 10th special survey and general maintenance and refurbishment. The project took around five weeks to complete. Marco Polo had a full schedule of works during her time at DSV. These included an exterior repainting, interior repairs and maintenance to bring her back up to her usual high standards. Other actions included work on the propellers and propeller shafts, reconditioning the bearings on the main engines and servicing the air-conditioning units and gensets. The life-rafts and other safety equipment were also removed and serviced, the cranes and winches overhauled and various minor steel works performed. Marco Polo arrived at Damen Shiprepair Vlissingen on the 3rd of November and departed on the 14th of December, 2015.
In February 2017 DSAm (Damen Shiprepair Amsterdam), part of DSC (Damen Shiprepair & Conversion), completed maintenance works on the CMV ships Magellan and Marco Polo. Both vessels are currently operated by British based CMV (Cruise & Maritime Voyages), part of Global Maritime Group.
Cruise itinerary program
MS Marco Polo itinerary program is based on round-trip cruises departing from UK (homeport London Tilbury). The ship visits popular destinations in Europe, such as Baltic Sea (Russia, Scandinavia), Norway (Norwegian Fjords), North Sea (British Isles), Iceland. In winter 2017-2018 Marco Polo will sail to France, Spain and Portugal leaving roundtrip from Belfast, Bristol and Liverpool. The firsr voyage in 2018 starts on March 31 from Bistol to France.
World Cruise 2020
- The voyage visits a total of 31 ports on 3 continents. Early booking prices started from GBP 12,000 per person (double occupancy rates).
- The itinerary includes two Equator crossings and one Suez Canal transit.
- Among the visited countries are Namibia, South Africa, Kenya, Tanzania, Seychelles, Reunion, Mauritius, Maldives, Sri Lanka, India, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Israel, Mediterranean points.
- Shore excursions options include Table Mountain (Cape Town), overnight safari, Taj Mahal (Agra), and Mumbai.
- The outward itinerary leg visits Lisbon, Cape Verde Islands, Casablanca and St Helena Island before reaching Africa.
- The return itinerary leg from India visits Oman, Egypt, Jordan, Holy Land, Malta, Gibraltar, La Coruna, Cobh before returning to Bristol on March 24, 2020.
Of all ms Marco Polo 425 cabins, 70% have an ocean view (including 14 Suites, no balcony cabins are available), 281 are Oceanviews, 128 are Insides. Only 2 are the wheelchair accessible cabins, all located on Amundsen Deck 9. There are no connecting rooms. The number of cabin categories is 15.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
- Waldorf restaurant's decor is pleasant, however not quite remarkable. It features two sittings, dinners are good and usually exceed expectations for price level, prepared with much more finesse than breakfasts. Afternoon tea and late-nights snacks are also offered on board according to cruising tradition.
- Marco’s Bistro is an open-seating informal alternative dining venue on the pool deck and guests can eat outdoors, whenever the weather conditions permits so. No additional charge is applied for eating here.
- Captain’s Club and Columbus Lounge are popular venues for pre-dinner cocktails. The Columbus is classy and clubby, with maritime artefacts on display. The Captain’s is elegant and spacious, with contemporary decor.
- Palm Garden has big windows affording great ocean views. Its surprising décor, however, combines lacquer-red walls, bamboo-and–conservatory style furniture and green plants, delivering an altogether less tranquil message.
- The modern Scott’s Bar is located on Amundsen Deck. Its dance floor welcomes passengers for late-night entertainment.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Marco Polo offers great value-for-money and child-free traditional British experience in cozy surroundings. The public rooms are all smartly furnished and feature high ceilings giving airy and spacious feel, with plenty of space for relaxation. Don't expect expansive leisure options as Marco Polo is not like the modern floating resorts and her passengers are not expecting them. You will find plenty of open deck, with a small swimming pool and three whirlpools. Unfortunately, none of the bars and lounges offers forward view. The list of onboard facilities includes:
- Jade Wellness Spa Centre features a sizeable gym and 2 saunas. It offers body treatments, facials, massages, hairdressing and the usual salon services, sensibly priced by duration.
- The small library (Livingston Lounge) offers a decent books’ selection, magazines, playing cards or other games. Nansen Card Room is the spot for card game lovers. The photo gallery to order pictures from the cruise and the Internet Café are among the other amenities.
- The Duty Free Gift Shop is open while the ship is at sea. It stocks on cigarettes, liquor, fragrances, cosmetics, local souvenirs. The liquor and cigarettes that you buy will be delivered on the last day of the sailing.
- Each evening Marco Polo offers different entertainment programmes, ranging from performances by ship's show team to jive/boogie, ballroom dancing, craft sessions, guest lectures, quiz programmes, golf sessions, bingo and fitness workouts. Live music is offered in several venues.
Marco Polo wiki
- For Marco Polo cruise ship review, you can visit MarcoPoloCruises.net (history, facts, photos).
- MS Marco Polo was built as Aleksandr Pushkin in 1965 by Mathias-Thesen Werft (East Germany) for Baltic Shipping Company (Soviet Union). From 1993 to 2008, after an intensive refit, the ship sailed as Marco Polo for Orient Lines. Currently, ms Marco Polo is owned by Global Maritime, under charter to CMV since January 02, 2010.
- On the 14th of February 2014, while in the English Channel and en-route to Tilbury, a wave struck ms Marco Polo. Sixteen passengers and crew were injured, one passenger died. On the 1st of November 2014, while docking at Leknes port (Norway), a strong breeze sent the ship off course and ms Marco Polo ran aground.
- MS Marco Polo is currently owned by the Global Maritime company. The cruise ship has been under charter to the UK-based CMV company since 2010 (January 2nd).
- During most of its CMV servicce Marco Polo operated on round-trip cruises leaving from UK ports (in England and Scotland ) - Bristol, Edinburgh, Greenock-Glasgow, Hull, Liverpool, Tilbury-London, Newcastle. Among the themed itineraries are Norwegian Fjords, British Isles, roundtrip Transatlantic crossings (to Canada, Caribbean, South America /Amazon), short-breaks to France, Belgium, Holland.
- In 2015, the cruise ship celebrated its 50th anniversary with 2 themed voyages. "First Commemorative Anniversary Cruise" from UK to Canada and Greenland, departures from Rosyth (July 23) and from Tilbury (July 24). The 36-night roundtrip visited Nova Scotia, Montreal, Quebec and St Lawrence River. Prices started from GBP 2000 pp (double occupancy). The "Second Commemorative Cruise" from UK to Canada from Tilbury (September7) was a 35-days roundtrip to Canada via Amsterdam Holland and Cherbourg France. Prices started from GBP 1800 pp.
- Fun fact is that this CMV ship has a namesake - the 2012-launched "CMA CGM Marco Polo". The vessel is among the world's largest container ships (capacity 16,020 containers) and operated by CMA-CGM Line.
Marco Polo - user reviews and comments
Photos of Marco PoloAdd Photo
Marco Polo ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Cruise and Maritime Voyages (CMV) released its Winter and Spring cruise program for 2019-2020. There are new itineraries, such as winter cruises to...July 9, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Cruise and Maritime Voyages (CMV) announces new departure from Bristol Avonmouth to India and Africa. The 78-night "Grand Africa and...June 27, 2018
An Irish Coastguard helicopter airlifted a cruise passenger from MS Marco Polo cruise ship off the coast of Ireland. R118 Sligo-based Coast...September 28, 2017
A British cruiser was pulled from the Atlantic after attempting to swim to CMV Marco Polo as the cruise ship pulled away from Madeira...July 17, 2017
A British traveler who tried to swim to ms Marco Polo has been rescued by fishermen from the Atlantic. The 65-year-old woman was found clinging to...March 28, 2016
- show more news
Other CMV cruise ships
Marco Polo Itineraries
The below listed Marco Polo cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Cruise and Maritime Voyages fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 Nov 05||33 days, round-trip West Indies & Azores||London Greenwich|
|2018 Nov 06||32 days, one-way from Amsterdam to London Greenwich||Amsterdam|
|2018 Dec 09||5 days, one-way from London Greenwich to Bristol||London Greenwich|
|2018 Dec 16||3 days, round-trip Festive Dublin Party Cruise||Bristol|
|2018 Dec 19||3 days, round-trip Festive Ireland Party Cruise||Bristol|
|2018 Dec 22||15 days, round-trip Christmas & New Year Canaries & Madeira||Bristol|
|2019 Jan 06||70 days, round-trip Grand Circle South America Voyage||Bristol|
|2019 Mar 17||15 days, round-trip Land of the Northern Lights to Norway||Bristol|
|2019 Apr 01||11 days, round-trip Grand British Isles Discovery||Bristol|
|2019 Apr 12||7 days, round-trip Spring Gardens & River Seine||Bristol|
|2019 Apr 19||3 days, one-way from Bristol to Cardiff||Bristol|
|2019 Apr 22||11 days, round-trip British Isles Discovery||Cardiff|
|2019 May 03||12 days, round-trip Iceland Circumnavigation & Northern Isles||Cardiff|
|2019 May 15||4 days, one-way from Cardiff to Portsmouth||Cardiff|
|2019 May 19||13 days, round-trip Grand British Isles Discovery||Portsmouth|
|2019 Jun 02||6 days, round-trip Special 75th D Day Anniversary Cruise||Portsmouth|
|2019 Jun 09||8 days, round-trip Rouen Armada & River Seine Experience||Portsmouth|
|2019 Jun 17||12 days, round-trip Iceland Circumnavigation & Northern Isles||Portsmouth|
|2019 Jun 29||22 days, one-way from Portsmouth to London Greenwich||Portsmouth|
|2019 Jun 29||1 day, one-way from Portsmouth to London Greenwich||Portsmouth|
|2019 Jun 30||21 days, round-trip Arctic & Greenland Expedition Voyage||London Greenwich|
|2019 Jul 21||22 days, round-trip Arctic & Greenland Expedition Voyage||London Greenwich|
|2019 Aug 12||2 days, one-way from London Greenwich to Newcastle||London Greenwich|
|2019 Aug 14||1 day, one-way from Newcastle to Leith-Edinburgh||Newcastle|
|2019 Aug 18||5 days, round-trip Faroes & Northern Isles||Leith-Edinburgh|
|2019 Aug 23||7 days, round-trip Summertime Fjordland||Leith-Edinburgh|
|2019 Aug 30||32 days, one-way from Leith-Edinburgh to London Greenwich||Leith-Edinburgh|
|2019 Aug 30||2 days, one-way from Leith-Edinburgh to London Greenwich||Leith-Edinburgh|
|2019 Aug 30||1 day, one-way from Leith-Edinburgh to Newcastle||Leith-Edinburgh|
|2019 Aug 31||31 days, one-way from Newcastle to London Greenwich||Newcastle|
|2019 Aug 31||1 day, one-way from Newcastle to London Greenwich||Newcastle|
|2019 Sep 01||30 days, round-trip Canada in the Fall||London Greenwich|
|2019 Oct 01||11 days, round-trip Hidden Baltic Treasures||London Greenwich|
|2019 Oct 12||12 days, round-trip Iceland & Land of the Northern Lights||London Greenwich|
|2019 Oct 24||13 days, round-trip Norway & Land of the Northern Lights||London Greenwich|
|2019 Dec 08||5 days, round-trip French Festive Getaway||Bristol|
|2019 Dec 15||3 days, round-trip Festive Dublin Overnight||Bristol|
|2019 Dec 18||3 days, round-trip Festive Dublin & Cobh||Bristol|
|2019 Dec 20||16 days, round-trip Christmas & New Year Canaries & Madeira||Cobh-Cork|
|2019 Dec 22||15 days, round-trip Christmas & New Year Canaries & Madeira||Bristol|
|2020 Jan 05||78 days, round-trip Grand Africa & Indian Ocean Voyage||Cobh-Cork|
|2020 Jan 06||78 days, round-trip Grand Africa & Indian Ocean Voyage||Bristol|
|2020 Mar 23||14 days, round-trip Azores, Madeira & Portuguese Highlights||Cobh-Cork|
|2020 Mar 24||14 days, round-trip Azores, Madeira & Portuguese Highlights||Bristol|
|2020 Apr 06||7 days, round-trip Easter River Seine Experience||Cobh-Cork|
|2020 Apr 07||7 days, round-trip Easter River Seine Experience||Bristol|
|2020 Apr 13||11 days, round-trip Treasures of the British Isles||Cobh-Cork|
|2020 Apr 14||11 days, round-trip Treasures of the British Isles||Bristol|
|2020 Apr 24||13 days, round-trip Portugal & Seville Fiesta||Cobh-Cork|
|2020 Apr 25||13 days, round-trip Portugal & Seville Fiesta||Bristol|