AIDAnova Review and Specifications
Specifications of AIDAnova
|Year built||2018 new ship|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||AIDA Kreuzfahrten (AIDA Cruises)|
|Length (LOA)||337 m / 1106 ft|
|Beam (width)||42 m / 138 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||183900 gt|
Review of AIDAnova
Launched in 2018, AIDAnova cruise ship was built at Meyer Werft shipyard (Papenburg Germany). This is the first of two newest AIDA ships in the Helios-class series. The second ship (still unnamed) is launched in 2021 spring. AIDA's Helios-class was preceded by the Hyperion-Class (AIDAprima and AIDAperla).
History - construction & ownership
AIDA Cruises is a German cruise line that is British-American owned and based in Rostock (Germany). Founded originally as Deutsche Seereederei, in the 1960s the company entered cruise industry. In 2000, AIDA Cruises was purchased by P&O Princess Cruises. After in 2003 Carnival Corporation and P&O Princess formed Carnival Corporation & plc, the executive control of AIDA was transferred to Costa Cruises, responsible for Carnival Group European brands.
The 183,900-ton, 5200-passenger cruise ship AIDAnova is among the world's most technologically advanced vessels. The newbuild was handed over to the company in autumn 2018.
Cruise itinerary program
AIDAnova itinerary program is based on 7-night cruises to Canary Islands and Madeira island.
There are a total of 2,500 passenger cabins in 21 categories on 20 decks - from single cabins to penthouse suites.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
The new AIDAnova has a variety of dining options. Among its 17 dining venues are the specialty restaurants Casa Nova, French Kiss, and Brauhaus, as well as 5 buffet restaurants (including the family-themed Fuego), the classic Bella Donna and Markt Restaurant. Guests onboard can visit the AIDA cooking school and try interactive cooking classes.
The ship features an exclusive Spray Bar which is spread across 2 decks and operated via pertnership with Moet & Chandon (1869-established Frecnch champagne producer). At the ship's stern is the Lanai Bar (Deck 8). At Patio Bar (Deck 16 aft) passengers can enjoy the same view as the Captain. Other bars are the nightclub Nightfly, M Bar, Tapas & Bar, club D6.
Follows the complete list of AIDAnova restaurants and food bars.
- Scharfe Ecke (Sharp Corner, complimentary fastfood dining venue)
- Rossini (specialty, dinner-only restaurant at surcharge, reservations required; offers waiter service and 6-course a-la-carte menu)
- Markt Restaurant (complimentary main dining room; self-service buffet restaurant with a variety of food stations and a small terrace)
- Bella Donna (Italian cuisine restaurant, complimentary, buffet-style dining, open 24 hours)
- Ristorante Casa Nova (Mediterranean cuisine restaurant at surcharge)
- Brasserie French Kiss (French cuisine restaurant, reservations-only, at surcharge)
- Brauhaus (specialty restaurant, reservations-only, at surcharge)
- Weite Welt Restaurant (Wide World complimentary buffet-style restaurant)
- Buffalo Steakhouse (American fare restaurant with a la carte menu; reservations required; at surcharge)
- Sushi Bar (Japanese restaurant at surcharge, reservations are required)
- Fuego Restaurant (new family restaurant, complimentary, with a kids buffet)
- East Restaurant (Asian cuisine, buffet-style complimentary restaurant).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
Deck 16 features an activity deck with a water slide, water park, high rope garden and mini golf. The beach club (introduced with tha Hyperion-class) is also available on the Helios-class ships. The pool deck is covered via an openable roof in lightweight construction.
Passengers can unwind by the pool in the AIDAnova’s Beach Club. At night, this area turns into a magnificent party scene. The Beach Club is housed beneath the expandable membrane roof. It features the activity area ‘Four Elements’ (based on water, air, fire and earth). Guests can have their best “AIDA fun” on the two water slides, or to try rock climbing, or any other activities on the ship’s sports deck. This deck also has a giant LED wall for movies and other outdoor video entertainment. In addition to the Teens and Kids Clubs on board, for the first time there is a “Mini Club” for infants from 6 months.
The panoramic glass elevators which connect the outdoor areas, as well as the glass 45-meter above water level skywalk are among the other highlights. Organic treatments pamper at the Body & Soul Organic Spa. AIDA plaza offers a wealth of bars and shops and functions as a meeting place and a stage for street performers. The enhanced Theatrium is the heart of the entertainment – its round stage is the trademark of AIDA Cruises.
Follows the complete list of AIDAnova lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Pier 3 Bar (coffee bar)
- Spray Bar (adults-only 2-level luxury lounge & Champagne bar via partnership with French winery “Moet & Chandon”)
- Diskothek (Disco D6, with a DJ program, light shows and themed dance parties)
- Nachtclub Nightfly (adult-only nightclub lounge with grand piano, live band music and its own bar)
- Tapas & Bar
- AIDA Plaza (2-deck high, open-floor Atrium lounge with bars and live entertainment; luxury boutique shopping arcade)
- Jewelry Shop; Travel Shop; Photo Shop; Sport Shop; Parfumerie; Kids Shop; Treasure Chest Shop
- Kids Club (AIDA Cruises kids program is complimentary, with supervised, age appropriate activities: the 3 age groups include Seahorses for 3-6 yo, Dolphins for 7-9 yo and Sharks 10-11 yo; the Kids Club has outdoor area with a paddling pool)
- AIDA Bar (cocktail bar with live music)
- Art Gallery (Kunstgalerie; sells original artworks of renowned art schools and German artists; hosts art auctions)
- AIDA Lounge (with 270-degree panoramic views and comfortable seating)
- The Library (Bibliotek; offers card and board games)
- Casino (served by Casino Bar)
- Theatrium (3-deck high, big-capacity show lounge with large stage with dynamic platform; this is a combined Atrium-Theater-Lounge for daily entertainment, large-scale productions, cabaret and magician shows; served by Theatrium Bar)
- Eiscafe (ice cream parlor Icecafe Erste Sahne)
- Cafe Mare (patisserie & specialty coffee bar)
- Vinotek (fine wines shop; offers sommelier service and wine tasting events)
- Brauhaus (beerhouse; onboard brewery, purified seawater is used for brewing beer; the Beer House sells its own draft beers)
- Destille (Distillery; fruit spirits bar)
- AIDA Bar (big-capacity lounge with panoramic windows)
- Photo Gallery & Shop (professional photo & video services, duty-free accessories and equipment; new feature are the photo kiosks with touch-screens /face-recognition system)
- AIDA Shop (duty-free merchandise at discount prices; the shopping arcade has a general store selling liquor and tobaccos, as well as small boutiques for jewelry, luxury watches, perfumes, brand fashion clothing, AIDA logo goods)
- Beauty Salon (Friseur; provides hairdresser, barber services, professional manicure/pedicure Nail Spa)
- Body & Soul Sport Fitness Centre (with a modern Gym and separate area for classes)
- Zen Lounge (relaxation room; hosts indoor classes)
- Blutenmeer (Blooming Sea flower shop)
- Kochstudio (Cooking Studio for culinary classes, workshops, master chefs presentations; reservations are required)
- Lanai Bar (with outdoor seating area)
- Sundeck area (with 4 infinity pools)
- Wave Club (water playground and teens club with supervised activities in two age groups – Orcas for 12 -13 yo and Teens 14 -17 yo; complimentary)
- Body & Soul Organic SPA complex (3100 m2, with indoor/outdoor pools, big whirlpools and retractable glass roof; offers Japanese Tea Ceremony, body scrubs and wraps; facilities include 5 saunas, treatment rooms, Rasul bath, relaxation room, shower room, conservatory, luxury Spa Suites, SPA Bar)
- AIDA Lounge (with 270-degree panorama views, comfortable couches and tables); Sunset Bar
- Mini Club (childcare/babysitting services for toddlers and little kids 6 months to 3 yo)
- Four Elements (Water Park with rock climbing walls, pools and whirlpools, splash pool and fountains for children, stage for live shows, huge LED screen and 2 water slides; the activity deck is covered with a sliding glass roof)
- Bar 5 Elements (serving the Aqua Park complex)
- AIDA Beach Club (2-deck high relaxation oasis, covered with glass dome for tropical beach-like experience with live plants and palm trees; in the evenings, the club is transformed into a party zone)
- Sundeck / sunbathing area (Freibereich, located above the swimming pool; with loungers, served by the Pool Bar); the ship’s Top Deck is dedicated to Freikorperkultur / FKK Bereich nudist area with sunloungers)
- Sun Deck games area (Sonnendeck – Freibereich, with shuffleboard, giant chess, Boccia, backgammon, darts, table tennis)
- Patiodeck (exclusive, covered deck area for Panorama cabin guests only, adult-only)
- Sports Deck area (Sportaussendeck with a combined sports court volleyball/basketball, Golf Cage, putting green area, golf simulator)
- Rock Climbing Walls; High Ropes Course; Power Walking/Jogging Track.
- On February 21, 2017, was the steel-cutting ceremony held at Meyer Werft shipyard (Papenburg Germany). With this special event officially started the vessel's construction works.
- The official launch ceremony was in September 2017. The 2nd Helios-class AIDA ship is to follow in spring 2021.
AIDAnova related cruise news
AIDAnova is the name of the first of the 2 Helios-class ships from AIDA Cruises, currently being built at Meyer shipyard in Papenburg, Germany...June 2, 2017
- show more news