Saint-Nazaire is port city in Loire-Atlantique (Brittany, western France). Port St-Nazaire has a large harbour waterway, located on Loire River estuary's right bank and close to the Atlantic Ocean. The city covers a total area of approx 47 km2 (18 ml2). and has population around 70,000.
St Nazaire port's close proximity to Nantes and its deep-water harbor makes it a preferable and often visited cruise port of call in France. The town is located to the south of France's 2nd-largest swamp (named "la Briere"). Given its location, St Nazaire has long traditions of commercial fishing and shipbuilding. Chantiers de l'Atlantique (currently STX France) is one of the world's largest shipyards. Here, among many many other cruise vessels, were constructed the iconic cruise liners RMS Queen Mary 2 (operator Cunard) and Harmony of the Seas (operator Royal Caribbean) - currently the world's largest passenger ship ever built.
The small village developed quickly into a large town in the 19th century's 2nd half. The city growth was due to the seaport's development and construction of connecting railways. St-Nazaire increasingly replaced Nantes. Being an important naval base for the Nazis, during WW2 (1939-1945) the town was heavily bombed by the British in 1942. Until 1945, it was also heavily bombed by the Allies as one of Europe's last territories liberated from Nazi Germany (on May 11, 1945).
Chantiers de l'Atlantique shipyard St Nazaire (STX France)
St nazaire's Chantiers de l'Atlantique shipyard is currently part of the shipbuilding corporation STX France. Most of this business is owned by STX Europe (former Aker Yards, 66,6% stake. The balance 33,34% stake is state-owned (by France). Being one of the world's largest shipbuilding yards, St Nazaire's Chantiers de l'Atlantique constructs a wide range of marine vessels - passenger, commercial and naval.
The shipyard was acquired by Aker Aker Group in 2006. The South Korean "STX Corporation" acquired Aker Yards in 2008 and Chantiers de l'Atlantique became part of STX Europe. The company STX Europe is headquartered in Oslo Norway and operates over a dozen large shipyards located in South America (Brazil), Asia (Vietnam) and Europe (STX France, Norway, Romania).
The Chantiers de l'Atlantique shipyard is prefered for large cruise ships building mainly due to its know-how, but also for its convenient location at the Loire River's mouth and the Atlantic's deep waters.
- In the mid 20th century, Chantiers de l'Atlantique started building French Transatlantic ocen liners. Its first vessel was the famous SS France (launched 1961) - then the world's largest passenger ship.
- The yard's expansion included building a large drydock facility (Basin C), which was purposefully constructed for large vessels.
- The yard's first cruise ships were ordered by Holland America - ms Noordam (launched 1983, link to the 2006 ship) and ms Nieuw Amsterdam (launched 1984, link to the 2010 ship).
- The yard's first RCI ship was Sovereign of the Seas (launched 1987) - then the world's largest passenger ship.
Highlights: Escal’Atlantic, Loire Estuary, Nantes
Saint-Nazaire cruise terminal
CruiseMapper's list of cruise ships built in St Nazaire (in and after the year 2000) includes:
- Azamara Journey (2000)
- Azamara Quest (2000)
- Celebrity Beyond (2020) - company's largest
- Celebrity Constellation (2002)
- Celebrity Edge (2018) - company's largest
- Celebrity Infinity (2001)
- Celebrity Millennium (2000)
- Celebrity Summit (2001)
- Crystal Serenity (2003)
- Queen Mary 2 (2004)
- MSC Armonia (2001)
- MSC Bellissima (2019) - company's largest
- MSC Divina (2012)
- MSC Fantasia (2008)
- MSC Lirica (2003)
- MSC Magnifica (2010)
- MSC Meraviglia (2013) - company's largest
- MSC Musica (2006)
- MSC Opera (2004)
- MSC Orchestra (2007)
- MSC Poesia (2008)
- MSC Preziosa (2013)
- MSC Sinfonia (2002)
- MSC Splendida (2009)
- Norwegian Epic (2010)
- Oceania Nautica (2000)
- Adonia (2001)
- Coral Princess (2002)
- Island Princess (2003)
- Seven Seas Mariner (2001)
- Harmony Of The Seas (2016) - world's largest
- Symphony Of The Seas (2018) - world's largest
- ms Europa 2 (2013)
- ms Elbe Princesse (2016) paddlewheel riverboat
- ms Elbe Princesse 2 (2018) paddlewheel riverboat
- ms Loire Princesse (2014) paddlewheel riverboat
The list of shipowners of vessels constructet by STX France includes:
- Azamara Club Cruises
- Celebrity Cruises
- Cunard Line
- MSC Cruises
- Royal Caribbean International
- Princess Cruises
- NCL Norwegian Cruise Line
- P&O Cruises UK
- Oceania Cruises
- Crystal Cruises
- Regent Seven Seas Cruises
- Hapag Lloyd Cruises
- CroisiEurope (river cruise line)
Other related CruiseMapper pages are themed on cruise ship design-construction-shipbuilders and newest cruise ships (on order / under construction).
The Saint-Nazaire cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Saint-Nazaire, France.
If you lose the Saint-Nazaire location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Saint-Nazaire cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Saint-Nazaire, France. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
2 July, 2017
3 July, 2017
13 July, 2017
14 July, 2017
Cunard Line's flagship, Queen Mary 2, will participate in a transatlantic race against the fastest yachts in the world. The race in summer 2017...November 8, 2016
France’s Le Monde identified Italy’s Fincantieri and Holland's Damen as potential buyers of STX France (Saint-Nazaire). The company is...September 12, 2016
The following thrilling time lapse videos show the piece by piece building of 167,600-GT, 1,033-ft long MSC Meraviglia. The newest...September 11, 2016
- show more news