Rhapsody Of The Seas Review and Specifications
Specifications of Rhapsody Of The Seas
|Builder||Chantiers de l’Atlantique (Saint-Nazaire, STX France)|
|Building cost||USD 280 million|
|Owner||Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||279 m / 915 ft|
|Beam (width)||35 m / 115 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||78878 gt|
|Passengers||2026 - 2431|
|Decks with cabins||5|
|Christened by||Bodil Wilhelmsen|
Review of Rhapsody Of The Seas
Launched in 1997, Rhapsody of the Seas is one of the Vision-class Royal Caribbean ships, together with Vision, Grandeur, Enchantment, Legend and Splendour. The ship cost US $275 million to build and was last refurbished in 2016.
History - construction & ownership
Royal Caribbean International (RCI) is owned by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. RCI is a cruise line brand established in Norway and currently based in Miami, Florida. As of September 2015, the line controls a 17% share of the world cruise market, with 23 cruise ships in service and other three on order. All vessels under the Royal Caribbean brand have had their names ending with "of the Seas" since 1991. Sister brands owned by Royal Caribbean Ltd. are Azamara Cruises, Celebrity Cruises, CDF Croisières de France and Pullmantur Cruises.
The 78,878-ton, 2,416-passenger Rhapsody of the Seas is one of Royal Caribbean's older cruise liners. In addition to a family suite and new staterooms being added, upgrades to the ship included new dining venues, an outdoor movie screen poolside, lounges for elite past guests, digital signage and a nursery. The first Royal Caribbean vessels to offer balconies in a number of categories, the Vision-class ships feature acres of glass skylights allowing sunlight to flood in. Each ship boasts a soaring central atrium at its heart anchored by a chic bar filling with music after dark - the ideal spot for watching the aerial performances overhead.
Cruise itinerary program
Rhapsody of the Seas itinerary program is based on Australia and Alaska cruises departing from, respectively, Sydney and Seattle, and visiting Hawaii during repositioning. Rhapsody also offers voyages in Europe (Mediterranean departures from Rome) and in South America from Santos and Buenos Aires, with Transatlantic repositioning cruises between Europe and South America.
Most Rhapsody of the Seas staterooms are 130-175-sq.foot insides (407). There are a total of 1020 staterooms in 25 categories. 14 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard Rhapsody of the Seas are the Royal Suites (1140 ft2).
Dining options - Food & Drinks
Rhapsody of the Seas got a new image with the refurbishment in March 2012. The US$16 million makeover was part of Royal Caribbean's 300-million, 3-year Royal Advantage project which added a lot of the popular facilities and features found on the 5,400-guest Oasis and Allure of the Seas, plus a handful of twists, to more than a dozen veteran vessels. A number of Oasis-class dining options were added to Rhapsody of the Seas, effectively doubling the choices. New dining venues include the Asian Izumi, the Italian Giovanni's Table serving family-style dishes and Park Cafe deli - a casual bistro concept borrowed from Oasis and Allure. The ribbon was also cut on a new Chops Grille, Royal Caribbean's signature option for grilled meals and seafood (US$30 per person), and the Chef's Table, a US$95 wine-paired dinner hosted by the executive chef and sommelier.
Follows the complete list of Rhapsody of the Seas restaurants and food bars.
- Edelweiss Restaurant (1090-seat aft Dining Room; offers Brasserie 30 lunch on seadays; Chef's Table)
- Windjammer Cafe lido buffet restaurant (710-seat, offers Early Breakfast at 6:30 a.m., Breakfast between 7:00-11:30 a.m., Lunch 11.30-3:30 p.m. and Dinner 6.30-9:00 p.m.)
- Chops Grille (specialty restaurant; reservations recommended)
- Giovanni’s Table (79-seat Italian specialty restaurant)
- Izumi (Asian specialty restaurant)
- Park Cafe (76-seat deli restaurant; complimentary - serves the Solarium area).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
The hub of Rhapsody of the Seas, and its entertainment, is the Centrum, which got a full makeover in 2012. Its lowest level is on Deck 4, where the R Bar serves classic martinis in a '60s mod decor setting. All the action takes place there, including art auctions, ballroom dance classes, cooking demos, audience-participation games and late-night dance parties. The Centrum soars up to Deck 8. The upper reaches were outfitted with rigging and stage lighting for aerial acrobatic performances. The ship features a few main lounges. Broadway Melodies is one of the most functional with seating on fixed banquettes, which provides adequate space to enter and exit. Space is maximized as the tables have been eliminated in favor of comfy drink holders on armrests. The theater is done up in jade-green marble, with furniture in matching leather and turquoise brocade. On a week-long cruise, expect several performances by ship's singers and dancers, as well as a few specialty acts.
Follows the complete list of Rhapsody of the Seas lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Broadway Melodies Theatre (870-seat, features grand production shows with dance, acrobatics, comedy and games)
- Photo Gallery & Shop; Art Gallery
- The Centrum (7-deck atrium and social hub, offers aerial acrobatics entertainment); Shall We Dance Lounge (300-seat show entertainment lounge); Diamond Club & Lounge; Concierge Club (suite and past guests only); Viking Crown Lounge & Nightclub
- R Bar (66-seat cocktail bar); Cafe Latte-tudes Bar (36-seat specialty coffee bar, Starbucks Coffee); Schooner Bar (145-seat piano bar)
- Centrum Boutiques (duty-free; clothes, perfumes, accessories, jewelry, logo souvenirs, General Store/alcohol and cigarettes)
- Casino Royale (282-seat)
- Royal Caribbean Online center (Internet computers room; 24-hour)
- Vitality at Sea Spa & Fitness Center
- Solarium lounge (includes Cafe Bar, pool bar and adults only pool area)
- Outdoor Movie Screen
- Video Games Arcade; FantaSeas Teen Center & Disco; Royal Babies & Tots Nursery
- Adventure Beach; Adventure Ocean kids lounge area
- Sports Court (golf simulator, table tennis, basketball court); Crystal Canopy; Jogging Track; Rock-climbing Wall.
Rhapsody Of The Seas wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 25
- Total number of cabins: 1032 (of which 97 Suites, 132 Balcony rooms)
- Dining Rooms: Edelweiss
- Restaurants and food bars: Windjammer (buffet), Pizzeria, Giovanni's (Italian), Park Cafe (deli), Izumi (Asian), Chops Grille (steakhouse).
- Lounges & Bars: Broadway Melodies, Concierge, Shall We Dance, Diamond, Viking Crown (nightclub), Adventure Ocean (kids), FantaSeas (teen), Ben & Jerry’s, R Bar, Schooner, Cafe Latte-tudes, poolside bars.
- Amenities: Complimentary 24-hour Room-Service, Supervised Youth program, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry, Self-Serve Laundromats (14).
- Adults relaxation area (Solarium), Spa (Vitality), 6 jacuzzis, 3 pools, Rock-climbing Wall, minigolf, basketball court, jogging track, Outdoor Theater, Nursery.
- Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas is one of the line's Vision-class vessels. Her sister in the fleet was Splendour Of The Seas (TUI Discovery since 2016). The rest of the RCI ships in this class are Enchantment, Grandeur, Legend, Vision.
- Rhapsody was built in 1997, in the French shipyard Chantiers de l'Atlantique. She set sail on her maiden voyage on the 19th of May, 1997. The vessel's godmother is Bodil Wilhelmsen - wife of Gjert Wilhelmsen, principal stockholder in RCCL.
- Rhapsody ship was dry-dock refitted in April 2012. The refurbishment (for the amount of US$16 million) included the addition of new cabins and some new facilities, such as 2 new eateries and public spaces such as the Diamond club and Concierge lounge. Other important upgrades in the list were the big LED screen for movies (located close to the main pool), Wi-Fi access, digital signage and a nursery.
- The atrium of the ship is six-deck tall and is called Centrum. Its bottom floor (lobby level) has bar, grand piano and a large dance floor. The Centrum's main level is also home for many activities like trivia games, cooking classes, song and dance aerial acrobatics performances, art auctions. And there is no chance for missing the fun here, because you should pass this area to get anywhere on the ship. The top of the Centrum is for the Viking Crown Lounge area - "the place" for your scenery views during the voyage.
Itineraries 2017 changes
In May-October, 2017, Rhapsody will operate in Europe (Mediterranean) on 7-night round trips from Venice Italy. Follows Transatlantic repositioning to Tampa Florida for Caribbean cruises (starting on November 19, 2017). The previously scheduled Canada New England cruises from home-port Cape Liberty (Bayonne New Jersey / New York) will be operated by Vision of the Seas.
Rhapsody Of The Seas related cruise news
Royal Caribbean's Rhapsody of the Seas has been damaged during a storm early yesterday morning, September 19. A dozen large windows in ship's...September 20, 2016
Ongoing strikes in the busiest Greek port, Piraeus outside Athens, have forced at least a couple of cruise ships to divert to alternative port and...June 8, 2016
Royal Caribbean changed its deployment plans for NYC-area port, Cape Liberty. Instead of Rhapsody of the Seas, the cruise line will homeport Vision...June 4, 2016
Forty-four guests on Rhapsody of the Seas have been forced to abandon their cruise after a large wave broke windows and flooded staterooms on April...April 27, 2016
In 2017 Royal Caribbean will operate two ships out of Cape Liberty Cruise Port (Bayonne, New Jersey) for the first time, when Rhapsody joins Anthem...April 13, 2016
Royal Caribbean's oldest ship, Majesty of the Seas, which was expected to be transferred to the Spanish line Pullmantur in 2016, will go on sailing...July 7, 2015
Royal Caribbean International announced brand new 2016 cruise vacations, totaling 8 of its cruise ships that will sail from six homeports in...March 16, 2015
- show more news
Other Royal Caribbean cruise ships
Rhapsody Of The Seas Itineraries 2017
The below listed Rhapsody Of The Seas cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Royal Caribbean fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|14 Jul||Departing from Venice, Italy|
|15 Jul 11:00 - 19:00||Dubrovnik, Croatia|
|16 Jul 09:00 - 15:00||Corfu Island, Greece|
|17 Jul 12:00 - 20:00||Santorini Island, Greece|
|18 Jul 07:00 - 17:00||Chania, Crete, Greece|
|19 Jul 07:00 - 18:00||Piraeus, Athens, Greece|
|20 Jul 09:00 - 17:00||Katakolon, Olympia, Greece|
|22 Jul||Arriving in Venice, Italy|
|05 Nov||Departing from Barcelona, Spain|
|08 Nov 10:00 - 18:00||Arrecife, Lanzarote, Canary Islands|
|09 Nov 07:00 - 18:00||Las Palmas, Gran Canaria, Canary Islands|
|10 Nov 07:00 - 17:00||Santa Cruz de la Palma, Canary Islands|
|17 Nov 08:00 - 18:00||Coco Cay, Royal Caribbean private island, Bahamas|
|19 Nov||Arriving in Tampa, Florida|
Rhapsody Of The Seas Itineraries 2018
The below listed Rhapsody Of The Seas cruise prices on 2018 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Royal Caribbean fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.