Carnival Cruise Line fleet
Review of Carnival Cruise Line
Carnival Cruise Lines is a cruise company based in Doral, Florida (suburb of Miami, USA). The company was originally independent, founded in 1972 by Ted Arison (1924-1999). The initial public offering of 20% common stock in 1987, provided capital which allowed its fleet expansion. Today, CCL is one of the 10 cruise ship brands owned by Carnival Corporation. Carnival Cruise Line has the largest fleet in the whole group of companies, with 26 vessels currently in operation, accounting for 21% of the worldwide market share. Company's executive control is provided by Carnival Corporation's North American division.
- Carnival is the pioneer in the concept of less expensive, shorter cruise itineraries. Its vessels are known for their Las Vegas-style entertainment and decor.
- Carnival calls its vessels "The Fun Ships", as there are a wealth of activities featured on board. Line's trademark is the red, white and blue funnel, which is shaped like the tail of a whale.
- Fun Ship Freddy is the mascot for Carnival, a character in the shape of the distinctive funnel.
- In 1996 the 101,000-GT Carnival Destiny became the biggest passenger ship in the world and the first to weigh over 100,000 tons.
On October 26, 2012 it was announced that Carnival Corporation had ordered a brand new cruise ship for the Carnival Cruise Lines brand. The ship was to be built by Fincantieri and expected to be the largest they had ever created. It was also planned to be the first of a new class of ships with a 4,000-passenger capacity and a gross tonnage of 135,000. The new ship will be named Carnival Vista and is scheduled for delivery in 2016 spring, nearly 4 years after the Breeze entered service.
Carnival Cruise Line
Carnival Cruise Line boasts top-notch technologies, innovative construction methods and ship designs. Its clientele consists mostly of Americans, 30% of which are under 35, 40% - between 35-55, and 30% over 55.
The company's vessels offer spacious public spaces and staterooms that are one of the largest at sea with a huge variety of stateroom types in several categories. Between the high quality amenities are Carnival's terry robes and “Comfort Bed” sleep system with deluxe mattresses, linens, duvets and pillows - Suite guests can even choose from a “pillow menu”.
Carnival is famous for its great cuisine and multiple dining options. The long list of dining venues includes the Main Dining Rooms (with 5-course meals), Chef’s Table (ship tour & gourmet cuisine), Supper Club with steakhouse favorites (reservations-only), BlueIguana Cantina (Mexican), Sushi Bar, European-style Patisseries and Cafes, Poolside Bars, themed Kids Dining, Midnight Buffets, 24-hour Pizza and Room Service.
Carnival Cruise Lines ships provide a variety of onboard activities - from napkin-folding classes, Vegas-style revues and gourmet & kitchen tours to cool deck parties, belly-flop pool competitions and waterslide races. Among the “cruising experience” upgrades is the vacation guarantee program allowing travelers who are unhappy with their cruise to get a 110% refund and disembark at the first port of the itinerary. The main facilities include Seaside Theatre (outdoors), Thrill Theatre (3D), Disco/Nightclub, Casino (gambling, tournaments), Stage Shows, Playlist productions, Hasbro Game Show, Carnival Waterworks (aqua park).
For those who love sports, Carnival has done a great job by creating the SportSquare with ropes SkyCourse, SkyRide and Basketball Court, also used also for Soccer and Volleyball.
SkyRide is an outdoor / aerial bicycle ride on the newest Vista-class Carnival ships.
This is the industry's first pedal-powered open-air bike ride in hanging bikes encircling around an 800-ft / 245-m long suspended track on the ship's top deck, allowing 360-degree panoramic views 150 ft / 46 m above sea level.
Foosball and Ping-Pong tables are available, as well as a Walking/Jogging track and Fitness Center with a separate room for Yoga, Aerobics and Pilates classes.
There is also a Mini-Golf course and great golf cruise packages created for keen golfers.
Carnival caters for families with amazing kids programs. Kids club activities by “Camp Ocean” kids program feature “Dr Seuss at Sea” entertainment programming. At the same time moms and dads are able to unwind in the many relaxation lounges and complexes: Carnival Cloud 9 Spa, Serenity Adult Retreat, themed Bars (RedFrog, BlueIguana, Alchemy, Havana, Sports), big-size Swimming Pools and Whirlpools.
Carnival has been spending a lot on fleet refurbishments and upgrades since 2007. The initiative “Evolutions of Fun” cost US$350 million on eight Fantasy-class cruise ships and included new deck spaces, kids facilities, “WaterWorks” aqua park with water-slides. The “Fun Ship 2.0”, launched in 2011, cost US$500 million and featured new dining venues; transforming cabins; themed bars, lounges and clubs. The biggest part of the program was the transformation of Carnival Destiny into Carnival Sunshine in 2013 at the staggering USD 155 million for a 49-day drydock refurbishment.
The following official YouTube video reviews Carnival's Dream-class vessels (Breeeze, Dream and Magic) as facilities and onboard amenities.
At the following link you can compare Carnival's major rival - Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines (fleet and review of the RCI cruising experience).
ATM (cash) machines are available onboard all Carnival Cruise Line ships since 2009. The service is exclusively provided by Cardtronics and available to both cruise passengers and crew. In 2016, ATM cash machines were also installed in the ships' crew member sections. Each Carnival ship has all 4 ATMs - 2 located in high-traffic passenger areas and 2 are exclusively for the crew.
Carnival cruise gratuities (2017-2018 cruises)
Daily gratuities are per person (pp):
- USD 12,95 pp (standard staterooms - interior, oceanview, balcony, both adults and kids)
- USD 13,95 (suites). Suite perks (in addition to priority embarkation/debarkation in all ports, confirmed main dining room preference) also receive priority tender service, free in-cabin bottled water, 1 complimentary bag of laundry (per cruise), enhanced turndown service.
- Carnival cruise gratuities for children - tips don't apply to kids less than two years of age.
- On Carnival cruise ships departing from Australian ports tipping is not compulsory,
- On Carnival Cruise-To-Nowhere, the amount of gratuities PP per day is USD 12,95.
- For Carnival Barbados cruise deals (any itinerary visiting Barbados), all gratuities will be prepaid and added during booking.
- Daily gratuity is an automatic service charge added to the passenger's onboard account each day.
- Passengers can prepay gratuities.
- The amount of gratuities is split between the ship's staff (dining, housekeeping, cabin stewards).
- Room Service staff tipping is not compulsory.
- For drinks purchases, an automatic 15% gratuity is added to the bill. Charges are applied directly to the onboard account. An automatic 15% gratuity is added to "Chef’s Table" (dining package) cover charge and applied directly to the onboard account.
Follows the breakdown of the tips on Carnival cruises (in USD, per day, per person):
- Housekeeping staff: USD 4,05 (standard cabins) USD 5,05 (suites)
- Dining / wait staff: USD 6,40
- Alternative Services (kitchen, entertainment, passenger services, other hotel staff members): USD 2,50.
The following table shows the total amount of gratuities (per person) based on the Carnival cruise itinerary duration:
Cruise length / tips (standard cabin) / tips (suite)
2 days / $25.90 / $27.90
3 days / $38.85 / $41.85
4 days / $51.80 / $55.80
5 days / $64.75 / $69.75
6 days / $77.70 / $83.70
7 days / $90.65 / $97.65
8 days / $103.60 / $111.60
9 days / $116.55 / $125.55
10 days / $129.50 / $139.50
11 days / $142.45 / $153.45
12 days / $155.40 / $167.40
13 days / $168.35 / $181.35
14 days / $181.30 / $195.30
15 days / $194.25 / $209.25
16 days / $207.20 / $223.20
17 days / $220.15 / $237.15
18 days / $233.10 / $251.10
19 days / $246.05 / $265.05
20 days / $259 / $279
NEW Carnival cruise ship Wi-Fi plans
In 2017, Carnival Cruise Line updated the cruise ship WiFi service fleetwide, introducing the option to pre-purchase Internet packages online.
Starting April 19, 2017, the company offers pre-purchasing internet plans (first introduced on Carnival Fascination and Carnival Vista). The option is available via "Manage My Booking’ (Carnival.com) where customers can select a package for the duration of the cruise.
The new Carnival WiFi plans can be purchased (at discounted rates) for either the entire voyage or for a day (24-hour period).
- "Social Package" (cost USD 5 per day) offers access most popular applications and websites, including Facebook (and Facebook Messenger), Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, Linkedin, WhatsApp, plus the most popular airline websites. The Social plan doesn't include Snapchat, Facetime, iMessage, in-app calling or access to any other apps or websites.
- "Value Package" (cost USD 16 per day) offers access to all websites and apps, including e-mail, news, banking, sports, weather, all social media. The Value plan doesn't support music and video streaming or Skype calling.
- "Premium Package (cost USD 25 per day) offers the fastest possible Internet connection. Depending on coverage, speeds can be up to 3 times faster compared to the "Value Package". The Premium plan inncludes all apps and websites, plus streaming services and Skype video calling.
- Since May 2017, Carnival offers a new, convenient option for fully booked cruise passengers to select and pre-purchase Wi-Fi packages through carnival.com (“My Cruise Manager” tab). However, when purchasing W-Fi online, passengers must also pre-purchase an Internet package covering the whole cruise. Daily Internet packages are available onboard.
Booked Carnival cruise ship passengers can upgrade from one plan to another and are also allowed to use multiple devices per plan (including the ship's onboard computers), but only on one device at a time. All the new Carnival WiFi plans do not include video streaming (Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime) and don't support WiFi Calling (voice calls via the ship's Wi-Fi network) and Facetime (Apple's videotelephony) services. Printing services on the ship are provided at no charge.
Carnival "Future Cruise" booking
In May 2017, Carnival Cruise Line started offering new incentives to customers on current voyages if they book next cruise while on the ship.
- Cruisers are able to book a future Carnival cruise either while on the ship or within 2 weeks after the current cruise. Booking ashore can be done through travel agent or the Carnival HUB app. Onboard booking is through Loyalty and Cruise Rep. Before May 2017, passengers could only book future cruise through onboard reps.
- At the time of booking, passengers are entitled to the following perks: reduced deposit, 2-category cabin upgrade, 20% off "Early Saver" rates with price protection.
- Passengers who opt to change the cruise date lose their onboard credit. That credit is forfeited in case the price drops and customers opt to rebook. Before May 2017, the amount of onboard credit offered varied depending on itinerary's length, Now it is a flat rate of USD 25 per person (up to USD 50 per cabin) excepting suite staterooms, which receive USD 50 per person in onboard credit (up to USD 100 per cabin).
- Travel agents are able to book their customers into a group booking with the offer.
- Carnival's "Friends & Family" vouchers are not offered anymore. They used to allow passengers who may like to sail with you to get the same discount deal.
- Carnival Cruise Line is the only cruise company allowing its customers to take advantage of the "Future Cruise Vacation" promo up to 2 weeks after the end of the voyage / disembarkation.
Carnival fly-cruise deals Fly2Fun
Since 2015, Carnival Cruise Line offers a flight and cruise program (branded Fly2Fun) providing the company's potential customers with choice, convenience and value when making flight arrangements in connection with the cruise.
Fly2Fun deals allow customizing flight reservations with different options, including the specifying preferred departure ports, flight schedules, air line / carrier, type of accommodation. Confirmations are received after making the reservation. Flights can be customized to allow pre- or post-cruise hotel stays.
- The Fly2Fun program is operated with Carnival's "Flight Protection". It guarantees that in case of missing the cruise departure (due to aircraft mechanical or weather-related issues) Carnival will fully cover the airfare, plus all the expenses related to transportation, meals and hotels for the booked passengers to meet the ship in the next call port of the cruise itinerary.
- Within Carnival's flight cruise program there are 2 options available - "Restricted Air" and "Flexible Air".
- With Flexible Air, potential Carnival customers (or travel agents) can book cruise up to 4 days prior to departure with the “Book Now-Pay Later” feature. With this option, flights payment is collected together with the cruise's final payment. There are no fees if air changes are made outside of 60 days prior to departure.
- With "Restricted Air", flight tickets are non-refundable and due paid in full upon booking. Change fees are based on the airline's policy, once the flight tickets are issued.
- Fly2Fun (Carnival fly-cruise deals) are bookable only via phone. After the cruise reservation is made, customers can call "1-800-CARNIVAL" to make the flight reservation.
"Carnival EasyPay" is the introduced in June 2017 Carnival Cruise Line's pay-over-time program allowing customers to book a cruise and pay for it in 3 monthly installments.
- The program (cruise ship industry's first) is designed as a hassle-free cruise payment option. It allows booked passengers' to deduct cruise payments automatically (from the credit card on file). Then the payments are applied to the current balance over a 3-month period - interest-free.
- The customer makes the initial deposit, then the balance of the cruise is charged in 3 equal payments - taken out automatically (on the designated day) for 3 consecutive months.
- Booked cruise passengers can either register for "Carnival EasyPay" (at carnival.com) or call.
- Travel agents can sign up in order to process payments on behalf of their clients.
Carnival cruise ship lifeguards
In April 2017, at the Clia Cruise 360 conference in Fort Lauderdale Florida, Carnival Cruise Line's president Christine Duffy reaffirmed that the company wouldn't add onboard lifeguards to the Fun Ships soon. Mrs Duffy stated that "the responsibility for pool safety must be with the parents onboard and our employees”.
On each of the Carnival ships there are three full-time attendants (at the waterworks facility/ aqua park with slides), which are swimming pool safety, CPR and first aid trained. Still, the safest system remains “vigilance and awareness”.
- For comparison, NCL Norwegian Cruise Line started employing certified lifeguards (on its largest vessels only) in summer 2017. NCL's lifeguards will by employed fleetwide by the year 2018. The announcement made NCL the 3rd major cruise company with lifeguards onboard its ships - following Disney and Royal Caribbean. The onboard NCL lifeguards are stationed only at the family pools during scheduled swimming pool hours. This staff is "American Red Cross" trained and certified. NCL also offers complimentary swim vests for both adults and kids. Parents can obtain safety vests at the Lido Deck's towel station during daytime hours.
- NCL started testing monitoring through CCTV cameras at family pools (on fleet's largest ships only) since 2015. So adding full-time lifeguards was a decision for more safety on pool decks. However, it should be known that lifeguards don't replace parental supervision and that parents (legal guardians) remain the best form for preventing onboard accidents.
- RCI Royal Caribbean employs cruise ship lifeguards since February 2017 (by the line's "water safety program"). RCI's onboard lifeguards are dressed in special uniforms (bright red and white) and stationed at every onboard swimming pool, including at the Solarium (adults-only retreat) during the complex' opening hours.
- Disney Cruise Line employs certified lifeguards since 2013.
Carnival Corporation & plc is an American-British cruise company, the largest cruise ship operator in the world, with a combined fleet of more than 100 ships across 10 cruise line brands, with the new "fathom" brand advertised for launch in 2016. Carnival is a dual listed company, composed of two parties, Carnival Corporation and Carnival plc, combined as one entity, despite their separate listings, respectively on the New York and London stock exchanges. As such, Carnival Corporation & plc is the only company in the world listed on both the FTSE 100 and S&P 500 indices. Carnival group has its global headquarters in Doral, FL in the United States and Southampton in the United Kingdom, with regional headquarters in the UK, Germany, Italy, Australia and United States.
Carnival Corp. & plc was formed in 2003, with the merger of P&O Princess Cruises plc and Carnival Corporation. In 1972 the Corporation was originally established as Carnival Cruise Lines. The company had a steady growth throughout the 70s and 80s, making an initial public offering in 1987 on the New York Stock Exchange. The capital generated was used for financing acquisitions, and between 1989 and 1999, the Carnival company acquired Windstar Cruises, Holland America Line, Westours, Costa Cruises, Cunard Line and Seabourn Cruise Line. In 1993 the "Carnival Corporation" name was adopted in order to distinguish the parent company from the flagship line subsidiary.
Prior to the merger, P&O Princess Cruises had agreed on a merger with Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. However, there was a decision to abandon the deal after Carnival Corp. made a new bid featuring improved terms for British shareholders. P&O Princess Cruises plc remained as a listed on the London Stock Exchange separate company, retaining its management team and British shareholder body. The company was renamed Carnival plc, with operations of the two parties merged into one entity. Carnival Corp. and Carnival plc, jointly own all Carnival group's operating companies.
In February 2015, Carnival Corporation signed a "memorandum of understanding" (MoU) with China Merchants Group for 2 joint ventures. The MoU outlines an eventual partnership that could result in a new cruise line brand (ship-owning joint company), as well as joint development plans for Chinese destination and ports. The MouU's joint venture port plans include development of transit and turnaround / home-ports within China. China Merchants Group (founded 1872) is a state-owned company focusing on infrastructure and transportation, also on real estate development and financial services. Currently, Carnival Corporation serves the Chinese ship cruising market through Princess and Costa ships.
Carnival Corporation's cruise companies
The list of Carnival Group cruise brands (Carnival Corporation & PLC lines and subsidiary companies) includes P&O, Cunard, Princess, Seabourn,P&O Australia, Holland America Line (HAL), Carnival Cruises (CCL), AIDA (Kreuzfahrten) and Costa (Crociere).
Carnival Group companies list
- Carnival UK
Carnival group includes the following seven cruise lines: AIDA (Germany) and Costa (Italy); Carnival Cruises (United States); Cunard (United Kingdom); Holland America Line (United States); P&O Cruises (United Kingdom); P&O Cruises Australia (Australia); Princess Cruises (United States); Seabourn Cruise Line (United States). They offer tradition of excellence and quality which distinguishes the group and gives leader position in cruising. Company website - carnivalukgroup.com
- Princess Cruises
The American-style sister of P&O Cruises, sharing a commitment to provide stylish sea ship vacation experience and first-class service. The dress code is more informal and relaxed. Company website – princess.com
- Carnival Corporation & plc
Founded in 2002- merger of P&O Princess and Carnival Corp. Headquarters of Carnival Corporation: Doral, Florida, US; Carnival plc: Southampton, England, UK. Carnival Corporation & plc is the world’s largest cruise ship company. It is British-American company, comprising Carnival plc and Oriental Steam Company of 19th century. The company is one of the world’s oldest cruise ship operators, as P&O’s first passenger ship was introduced in 1844.
Carnival Corporation & plc has headquarters at Carnival Place in Miami suburbs of Doral, Florida, USA and at Carnival House, Southampton, Hampshire, England. The corporation and plc are separate companies with different shareholder bodies. Jointly they own the operating companies in group- Carnival Corp.- the majority stake.
It was agreed in 2002, that P&O Princess would remain a separate company, relisted as Carnival plc in London, with predominantly British shareholder body, retaining P&O Princess executive team. Carnival Corporation & plc comprises 11 cruise line brands, which operate combined fleet of about 100 ships, with about 190,000 berths and new ships on order.
The executive control is directed by geographical location, as Carnival UK controls operations in the UK (operations of Cunard Line, P&O (UK and AU), Princess); Carnival Corporation controls the operations in North America; Costa Cruises Group controls operations in rest of Europe. The combined brands of Carnival Corp in 2011 controlled a 49.2% share of the world cruise market.
The first acquisition in 1989 of Holland America Line, including Windstar Cruises and Holland America Tours, was followed in 1992 by Seabourn Cruise Line. Note: Windstar was sold to Xanterra Parks and Resorts (the US largest park management company) in 2011.
In 1993 changed name to Carnival Corporation, continuing to expand into cruise travel industry, acquisitioning in 1998 Cunard and Costa in 2000. Company website - phx.corporate-ir.net
- Costa Cruises Group
Being within the largest cruise operators in Europe, as part of Carnival Corporation & plc, Costa Cruises became one of primary companies in the group, mainly responsible Europe operations. It controls AIDA Cruises in Germany, Costa Cruises (Costa Crociere) in Italy and Ibero Cruises (iberoCruceros) in Spain (new cruise brand, created in 2007 by Carnival Corp). Company website - costacruise.com
- Costa Asia
Costa Asia is Carnival Corp's subsidiary that manages all the corporation's Asian cruise operations. The Costa Asia company has offices in China (including Hong Kong), Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, and India. Costa Asia is also the operator of all Asia-based Costa cruise ships.
NEW: Since May 2017, Costa Asia managed cruise vessels of all Carnival Corporation brands allow using Alipay payment services onboard. The partnership between Carnival Corporation and Ant Financial Services Group (subsidiary of Alibaba, China's biggest online trading company) enables Chinese cruise passengers on all Carnival Corp ships in Asia to pay for onboard services and products using their Alipay (mobile payment platform) accounts. Among the onboard services and products are shopping, tours/excursions, food and drinks. These expenditures are added to the passenger's cabin folio, then cleared via his/her Alipay account on a nightly basis.
- Carnival PLC
Holding company of Carnival Group, formed after the merger of P&O Princess Cruises and Carnival Corporation in 2003. P&O Princess remained a separate company, predominantly British owned and retaining P&O Princess executive staff. Soon after that, P&O Princess was re-listed as Carnival plc (associated with Carnival UK operations), and responsible for Carnival Cruises, Costa Cruises and Holland America Line.
As result of a merger between P&O Princess and Carnival Corp, in 2002 was formed Carnival UK. At that time P&O Princess operated in the UK as the largest ship operator and owned AIDA Cruises brands; Ocean Village; Princess Cruises; P&O Cruises, P&O Cruises Australia. P&O demerged cruise ship operations on the 23rd of October 2000, forming P&O Princess Cruises plc. The new company became the largest cruise operator in the UK. In 2002 P&O Princess Cruises plc announced the Ocean Village brand, commencing operations in May 2003. After that, the company had agreed to merged with Carnival Corporation. P&O Princess Cruises plc was then re-registered as Carnival plc.
- Carnival UK
Primary operating of Carnival plc, one of major operating companies in Carnival Group. Consisting of former P&O Princess brands, with executive control of Cunard line and P&O Cruises. Sharing facilities and departmental areas with UK operations of Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, Yachts of Seabourn. Carnival’s base is in purpose-built headquarters at Carnival House, Southampton, England. The company Carnival Corp & plc also has offices in UK for other operating bodies.
Carnival UK is a trade mark and a business name of the Carnival PLC and a separate company incorporated in UK (registered in London, England). Its office address is “5 Gainsford Str, London SE1 2NE”. Company website - carnivalukgroup.com
- Carnival Australia
A branch of Carnival PLC, with control of P&O Australia brand, responsible for operations of Carnival Corporation & PLC ships in South Pacific and Australia regions. Company website - carnivalaustralia.com
At the following tag link can be found listed all CruiseMapper's news related to Carnival Corporation.
Carnival Corporation's "Ocean Medallions"
Carnival Cruise Line's "Ocean Medallion" is a new generation wearable technology allowing passengers access to "virtual concierge" services and amenities. The new technology will be implemented on all Carnival Corporation ships in the period 2017-2018.
The medallion is a small disk-shaped device (weight 51 grams, size of an US quarter dollar) that can be sent (for free) to every customer of the company. The medallion stores all the information provided by its owner - online uploaded, as well as real-time uploaded (during the cruise or whenever). It can be weared around the wrist, around the neck or loosely. No matter where it is, the medallion is always on and working.
- When you do cruise booking, you establish online your basic vacation profile (likes, dislikes, onboard and ashore preferences - such as interactive gaming, gambling, culinary, recreational, entertainment, etc). Then Carnival Cruise Line mails you the medallion engraved with your name on it. The device is equipped with Bluetooth and NFC (near-field communication) technology.
- One of the medallions' best features is that they allow streamline embarkation/debarkation in each of the ports along the cruise itinerary, also cruise ship and airport transfers (meet & greet), quick luggage identification and delivery straight to the stateroom. This avoids all the hassles usually encountered at cruise terminals. You simply board the ship, with the Ocean Medallion having all the needed information about you and your booking.
- Other services provided via the Ocean Medallion are all kinds of onboard purchases (shops, bars and specialty restaurants, Wi-Fi Internet and beverage packages, photos, beauty salon and spa treatments), making reservations (dining, spa, etc), also booking shore excursions and tours.
- The Ocean Medallion also allows checking out onboard restaurant and bar menus, but additionally allows placing orders for delivery to any place on the ship (stateroom, open decks, casino, theater, lounges, etc).
- Beside serving as a "cruise ticket", the medallion also doubles as cabin key (keycard) as it opens cabin doors.
- Ocean Medallions have no on/off buttons or navigation menus, and don't require charging. The medallion additionally gives access to the Ocean Compass ("virtual concierge") via mobile electronic devices (phone, tablet, laptop). Ocean Compass is also accessible through the in-cabin infotainment system (interactive TV), via onboard and cruise terminal located digital kiosks, and via the interactive LED screens throughout the ship.
- Ocean Medallions are part of a local (shipboard) system, thus no extra fees are charged for using these devices.
- For implementing this wireless technology, all Carnival Corporation ships are scheduled to undergo revamping for installing the required network of sensors and computing devices. The company's Bahamian private island cruise ports (Princess Cays, and Half Moon Cay) are also wired to serve the medallions, plus some of the largest US cruise port terminals and airports.
- The first cruise ship serving the Ocean Medallions will be Regal Princess (November 2017). Beside Carnival ships, the new technology also serves customers on vessels of Costa, Cunard, Holland America, P&O (UK and Australia fleets), and Seabourn.
Itinerary of Carnival Cruise Line
Carnival's 2017-2018 program offers over 3500 itineraries (raging in length from 2 to 19-nights) on 24 ships. Of those, over 2500 itineraries are bookable as short cruise deals (duration between 2 and 5 days). These include departures from Miami and Port Canaveral with 4- and 5-day Bahamas cruises.
- The program offers over 70 destinations around the world and departures from nearly 20 different home-ports in North America.
- There are a total of 22 "Carnival Journeys" itineraries (longer in length) plus 13 "Bermuda" cruises leaving out of USA East Coast ports.
- There are 2 Carnival Panama Canal cruises (with partial transition) on Carnival Pride (out of Baltimore, Jan 2017) and out of Tampa (Feb 2017).
- New deployments for 2018 (departure ports) are the Carnival Breeze 7-day cruises from Galveston TX, Carnival Magic 7-day cruises from Port Canaveral, and Carnival Triumph 4- and 4-day Mexico cruises from NOLA (New Orleans).
- New Carnival Cozumel excursions (by the Cozumel Plus" program) offer longer land tour experiences. Cozumel Mexico is included as port of call in over 750 Western Caribbean cruise itineraries. The land tour programming includes snorkeling (Xel-Ha Park), "Secret River" (caverns exploration), Mayan ruins (Chichen Itza). Tours as length vary from 4 to 8 hours, and feature new local tour operator partnerships. Accordingly, Carnival ships will offer extended port stays to accommodate the longer excursions. The new itineraries are marked at the line's website as "Cozumel Plus".
- In July 2016, Carnival Cruise Line implemented the "staggered check-in embarkation" on all Ecstasy and Sunshine ships cruises (leaving out of Charleston SC, effective since July 9) and on all Pride ship cruises (out of Baltimore MD, effective since July 10). By the new embarkation procedure, all passengers are given pre-assigned ship boarding times. The new process was first tested in Galveston TX (in 2015's end) and was rolled out in Honolulu HI, Miami FL, New Orleans LA and Norfolk VA.
- In June 2017 Carnival Cruise Line launched its 2018-2019 cruise program, offering Australians a larger number of voyages than ever before. The new program, open for bookings June 15, includes over 70 sailings out of Melbourne and Sydney, including a record nineteen short cruises featuring short local itineraries and weekend samplers. With 43 longer voyages to the idyllic islands of South Pacific and NZ included, the program represents an increase of 13% on 2018 sailings.
- Brand’s 2017-2018 Meet The Winemaker Cruises are a selection of cruises onboard Norwegian Dawn and Norwegian Escape during which passengers have the chance to wine & dine with top figures in winemaking industry. The Winemaker Cruises' full series was announced during season's first Winemaker Dinner cruise, held aboard Norwegian Escape and featuring president of Bodegas Hidalgo La Gitana, Antonio Hidalgo. Hidalgo represents the sherry winery's 8th generation. The Winemaker Dinner series is hosted at line’s venue The Cellars, Michael Mondavi Family Wine Bar. It is in celebration of NCL’s ongoing partnership with the family and beverage partners, including Moet Hennessy.
- In 2015, Michael Mondavi Family partnered with NCL to introduce the first branded wine bar of the line aboard Norwegian Escape - The Cellars, Michael Mondavi Family Wine Bar, which serves a curated wine list and service by a certified Sommelier of the Court of Master Sommeliers. The venue invites passengers to participate in various interactive, educational and fun wine activities, such as seminars, pairings, workshops and tastings. The partnership was expanded upon when in 2016 The Cellars opened on Norwegian Dawn after ship-wide enhancements.
(NEW) Carnival cruises to Princess Cays Bahamas
- Starting May 2017, these 6 Carnival ships to Princess Cays had scheduled a total of 40 visits (in 2017) and 98 (in 2018).
- Follows the list of Carnival cruise ships to Princess Cays on 2017 itineraries (in brackets are shown the itinerary's length and departure port): Carnival Pride (7-day from Baltimore), Carnival Ecstasy (5-day from Charleston), Carnival Conquest (8-day from Fort Lauderdale), Carnival Elation (5-day from Jacksonville), Carnival Liberty (4-day from Port Canaveral) and Carnival Sensation (4-day from Miami).
- Princess Cays is among the Carnival Corporation-owned private island destinations and exclusively operated cruise facilities, the list of which also includes Half Moon Cay (Bahamas), Grand Turk (Island, Puerta Maya (Cozumel Mexico), Mahogany Bay (Roatan Island, Honduras) and Amber Cove (Dominican Republic).
Follows a review of Carnival Cruise Lines itinerary program for 2016-2017-2018 scheduled itineraries. For sailing dates (departures, arrivals), ports of call times and Carnival cruise prices per person follow the ship pages listed below.
- Note: Carnival established cruise ship operations in China via a partnership with its local subsidiary company Costa Asia. Costa has been in China since 2008.
(home-ports Miami FL, Galveston TX) operates on round-trips to Eastern Caribbean (Grand Turk, Puerto Rico, St Kitts, St Maarten), Western Caribbean (Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel Mexico) and Southern Caribbean (Dominican Republic, Curacao, Aruba). REPOSITIONING: In May 2016, the ship starts departures out of Galveston Texas to Bahamas (Key West FL, Nassau, Freeport) and Western Caribbean (Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Roatan Honduras, Belize, Mexico - Cozumel and Costa Maya). In September 2018 Carnival Breeze will move to Port Canaveral.
(home-port Fort Lauderdale FL) operates on itineraries to Southern Caribbean (Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, Dominican Republic), Western Caribbean (Key West FL, Cozumel Mexico, Jamaica, Belize, Roatan Honduras), Eastern Caribbean (St Maarten, St Kitts, Puerto Rico, Grand Turk, Grand Cayman) and Bahamas (Freeport, Nassau, Half Moon Cay).
|Carnival Dream (home-port New Orleans Louisiana) operates on 7-day round-trips to Bahamas (Key West, Freeport, Nassau), Western Caribbean (Cozumel Mexico, Belize, Roatan Honduras) and Eastern Caribbean (Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel).|
|Carnival Ecstasy (home-ports Miami FL, Charleston SC) operates on round-trips to Western Caribbean (Key West FL, Cozumel Mexico) and Bahamas (3-day to Nassau). REPOSITIONING: In February 2016, the ship starts departures out of Charleston to Bahamas (4- and 5-day to Nassau, Freeport, Half Moon Cay).|
(home-port New Orleans LA, Jacksonville FL) operates on cruises to Western Caribbean from New Orleans (4-day to Cozumel, 5-day Cozumel and Progreso). REPOSITIONING: In April 2016, the ship started departures out of Jacksonville to Bahamas (4- and 5-day to Nassau, Freeport, Half Moon Cay). Carnival Cruise Line is bringing a unique cruise option to Jacksonville in spring 2018. The voyage is an 8-day round-trip cruise from Jacksonville beginning April 7 and offers an overnight visit to Heritage Wharf, Bermuda, along with an extended stay at Half Moon Cay. Including the newly added voyage on Carnival Elation from Jacksonville, in 2018 Carnival offers nineteen 4- to 8-day Bermuda departing from 6 East Coast U.S. ports, including Baltimore, Charleston, Fort Lauderdale, New York and Port Canaveral. Carnival Elation also sails a special 3-port, 6-day Bahamas cruise round-trip from Jacksonville between April 15-21, 2018 calling at Freeport, Half Moon Cay and Nassau. The new voyages complement the year-round 4- and 5-day schedule of the ship from Jacksonville. Carnival Elation is the only year-round ship of Jacksonville and carries approx 170,000 passengers per year from the port.
(home-ports Charleston SC, Miami Florida, Mobile Alabama) operates on Bahamas cruises out of Charleston (4-day Nassau, 5-day Nassau and Freeport). REPOSITIONING: In February 2016, the ship started departures from Miami to Western Caribbean (Key West FL, Cozumel Mexico) and to Bahamas (3-day Nassau, 5-day Nassau and Freeport). REPOSITIONING: In November 2016, the ship started departures from Mobile Alabama to Mexico (4-day Cozumel, 5-day Cozumel and Progreso). Since 2018, Carnival offers 7-day roundtrip Mobile cruise port departures to destinations no longer limited to Caribbean Mexico. On April 25, 2017, the company officially announced that the Carnival Fantasy ship will offer as ports of call destinations in Bahamas, Key West Florida, Grand Cayman Island, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama Canal.
(home-port Jacksonville FL) operates on cruises to Bahamas - 4-and 5-day to Nassau, Freeport and Half Moon Cay. REPOSITIONING: In April 2016, the ship starts departures out of San Juan Puerto Rico and Bridgetown Barbados - 7-day to Eastern Caribbean (St Lucia, St Kitts, St Maarten, St Thomas).
(home-port Galveston Texas) operates on 7-day round-trips to bahamas-Eastern Caribbean (Nassau, Freeport, Key West Florida) and Western Caribbean (Cozumel Mexico, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan).
The ship will spend part of her first year sailing out of New York to Bermuda. Currently under construction in Italy, the 3,954-passenger Carnival Horizon will operate short, 4-night voyages to the island destination during spring and summer of 2018. The trips will be in addition to previously announced, 8-night Caribbean cruises that the 133,500-ton vessel will start operating out of the Big Apple in May 2018. Carnival Horizon will debut in April 2018 with Mediterranean sailings from Barcelona. On May 9, the ship will reposition to New York before a series of 8-night Caribbean cruises throughout the summer. On September 22, 2018 the Horizon ship will continue to the next homeport, Miami, for an year-round schedule of 6- and 8-night Caribbean voyages.
(home-port Miami Florida) operates on 7-day round-trips to Western Caribbean (Grand Cayman, Roatan Honduras, Belize, Cozumel Mexico) and Bahamas and Eastern Caribbean (Half Moon Cay, St Thomas, Puerto Rico, Grand Turk). The ship also offers trips to Southern Caribbean (St Croix, Dominica, Grenada, Bonaire, Aruba, Curacao).
(home-port Long Beach California) operates on Baja cruises to Ensenada Mexico (3-day) and to Santa Catalina Island and Ensenada (4-day).
(home-port Long Beach California) operates on Baja cruises to Ensenada Mexico (3-day) and also to Santa Catalina and Ensenada (4-day).
(home-ports Sydney Australia, Seattle WA) operates on round-trips to South Pacific Islands (New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Fiji). REPOSITIONING (through Hawaii): During summer, Carnival Legend operates on Alaskan cruises out of Seattle. In 2018 Carnival Legend will be homeported in Melbourne.
Carnival Legend sets sail from Sydney on an 8-day cruise to the South Pacific November 24, 2019 with visits to Isle of Pines, Lifou, Mare and Noumea. Melbourne is back on the map due to increased demand from the southern state, with Carnival offering roundtrip itineraries to New Zealand over 13 nights, South Pacific over 10 and 11 nights, and a popular 4-night trip south to Tasmania.
(home-ports San Juan Puerto Rico, Bridgetown Barbados) operates on 7-day round-trips to Eastern Caribbean (St Lucia, St Kitts, St Maarten, St Thomas). REPOSITIONING: In April 2016, Carnival Liberty starts departures pout of Galveston TX to Mexico - 4-day Cozumel, 5-day Cozumel and Progreso.
(home-ports Galveston Texas, Port Canaveral FL) operates on 7-day round-trips to Western Caribbean (Cozumel Mexico, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman, Jamaica) and Bahamas (Key West FL, Nassau, Freeport). REPOSITIONING: Carnival Magic will be sent to Port Canaveral Florida in October 2016 for cruises to Eastern Caribbean (Dominican Republic, St Thomas, Puerto Rico, Grand Turk) and Western Caribbean (Costa Maya Mexico, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel). In 2017-2018 week-long Carnival Magic voyages will be offered from Port Canaveral. In September 2018 Carnival Magic will shift to Miami.
(home-port Long Beach CA) operates on 7-day round-trips to Mexican Riviera (Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta). Plans for REPOSITIONING: Carnival Miracle to be sent to China in early 2018 to offer Asia cruises were later changed - the ship will continue sailing from North America in 2018. The Miracle ship will sail on 7-day Caribbean cruises from Tampa.
(home-port Tampa Florida) operates on round-trips to Western Caribbean - 4-day to Cozumel Mexico, and 5-day to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Carnival Cruise Line’s Cuba sailings kick off on June 29, 2017 for a series of 4- and 5-night voyages from Tampa aboard Carnival Paradise and will make it the largest American cruise ship sailing to Cuba.
(home-port Baltimore MD) operates on round-trips to Florida-Bahamas (Port Canaveral, Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk), and occasionally out of Tampa to Western Caribbean (Grand Cayman, Cozumel Mexico). Panama Canal experiences from Baltimore January 2017 and from Tampa February 2017.
(home-ports Florida - Port Canaveral, Miami) operates on round-trips to Bahamas (3-day Nassau, 4-day Nassau and Freeport, 5-day with Half Moon Cay), Western Caribbean (Cozumel Mexico, Key West FL) and Eastern Caribbean (Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Grand Turk, Dominican Republic).
(home-port Sydney Australia) operates on round-trips to Melbourne, Queensland, New Zealand, South Pacific Islands (Fiji, New Caledonia, Vanuatu) and also on Cruises to Nowhere (out of Sydney AU). Carnival Spirit will not be deployed to China (as it was announced) for Australian winter season in 2018 after a scheduled dry dock in Singapore. The ship will instead stay in Sydney.
In May of 2018 Carnival Spirit will cruise from Sydney to Singapore for 19 nights, with visits to Darwin and Bali as well as maiden calls to Phuket, Koh Samui and Ho Chi Minh City. On her way to Singapore, Carnival Spirit will stay overnight in Ho Chi Minh, giving Aussies the chance to explore the sounds and flavors of South East Asia prior to cruising on to Singapore. Fares start at US$2,550 per person twin share.
(home-port Miami Florida) operates on round-trips to Eastern Caribbean (Puerto Rico, St Thomas, Dominican Republic) and Western Caribbean (Cozumel Mexico, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman).
In 2018 Splendor will sail on seven-day Mexican Riviera cruises from Long Beach. Continuing the expansion of Carnival Journeys longer enrichment sailings, Carnival Splendor will operate a round-trip 14-day Alaskan adventure from Long Beach CA, featuring awe-inspiring sites like majestic Hubbard Glacier and a day-long call on Icy Strait Point, an unspoiled wilderness area which offers some of the best whale and bear watching and the longest zip-line in the world.
REPOSITIONING: Carnival Splendor will be sent to China in spring 2019 to offer Asia cruises.
NEWS: The ship will be transferred to the fleet of P&O Australia in late 2019.
(home-ports Port Canaveral Florida, Charleston SC, Norfolk VA, NYC New York) operates on round-trips to Bahamas (Nassau, Freeport, Half Moon Cay), Eastern Caribbean (Puerto Rico, St Thomas, Grand Turk, Dominican Republic), Canada New England (Saint John, Halifax, Boston), Bermuda, and also on Cruises to Nowhere (out of New York and Norfolk).
(home-ports Galveston TX, New Orleans LA) operates on round-trips to Western Caribbean - 5-day Mexico (Cozumel, Progreso) and 4-day Mexico (Cozumel). In 2017-2018 4- and 5-day Carnival Triumph sailings from New Orleans.
(home-port Port Canaveral Florida) operates on round-trips to Eastern Caribbean (Dominican Republic, St Thomas, Puerto Rico, Grand Turk), Western Caribbean (Belize, Roatan, Mexico /Cozumel, Costa Maya) and Southern Caribbean (Aruba, Curacao, Grand Turk).
(home-ports Port Canaveral Florida, San Juan Puerto Rico) operates on round-trips to Bermuda and Southern Caribbean (St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts, St Maarten); 2017-2018 cruises out of Miami.
(home-port Miami Florida) operates on round-trips to Eastern Caribbean (Grand Turk, Puerto Rico, St Kitts, St Maarten), Western Caribbean (Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel) and Southern Caribbean (Dominican Republic, Curacao, Bonaire, Aruba). In September 2018 Carnival Vista will reposition to Galveston.
Carnival cruise itinerary changes
- During winter 2017-2018 season, Carnival Spirit will be repositioned to China to offer Asia cruises roundtrip from Shanghai (homeport). The seasonal redeployment is due to a scheduled drydock refurbishment in Singapore. Spirit has been homeported in Sydney Australia since 2012 performing strongly on the local market. The decision makes Spirit the first ever Carnival cruise ship departing from China. The ship will return to Australia in spring 2018 to continue the previous year-round itinerary program from Sydney. The other Carnival Asia ship is Carnival Splendor (to be repositioned in spring 2018).
- In 2018, Carnival Legend will be home-ported in Melbourne Australia (for the period February-March 2018). During that time, the ship will offer a total of 6 round-trip itineraries - three 3-night "Cruise to Nowhere" short breaks, one 4-night cruise to Tasmania, one 10-night to South Pacific islands and one 11-night around New Zealand.
- Carnival will operate cruises in Europe (starting in 2018) with the line's newest Vista-class ship (still unnamed). The new vessel, which is currently under construction in Italy, is of the same design as the new Carnival Vista.
Carnival's "FUNomenal Group Sail" booking promotion 2017-2019
Carnival Cruise Line's new promotion “FUNomenal Group Sail” reduces the company's required initial deposit (paid upon booking) by 50% for group cruise bookings on select itineraries. The company also offers an enhanced free cruise berth program. The promotion is for cruises departing between 2017 (August 15) and 2018 (April 30).
As an additional bonus for travel acencies, Carnival gives 1 free cruise berth for every 10 full-fare passengers. The line’s general program offers 1 free cruise berth for every 15 full-paying passengers.
Group booking rates applicable to the promotion are available on bookings made up to March 15, 2017. These fares start at USD 229 PP (for 3- to 5-day itineraries) and from USD 459 for 6-day and longer itineraries.
Carnival cruises to Cuba from Florida (Miami and Tampa)
- Itineraries (4- and 5-night in length) start in June 2017, and all include overnight stays in Havana.
- The first Carnival cruise to Cuba is on June 29.
- The 4-night itinerary's departure dates in 2017 are June 29, July 13, August 24, September 7 and 21, October 5 and 19, and in 2018 - May 3.
- The 5-night itinerary's departure dates in 2017 are August 14 and 28, September 25, October 9.
- 4-night cruises are to Havana exclusively, while the 5-day cruises also visit either Key West FL or Cozumel Mexico.
The current list of passenger shipping lines offering cruises to Cuba in 2017-2018 includes:
- Carnival Paradise leaving from Tampa Florida - cheapest prices (from USD 480 pp) since June 2017
- Royal Caribbean (ship Empress of the Seas) from Miami and Tampa since April 2017
- MSC Cruises (ship MSC Opera, leaving from Havana)
- Holland America (ship Veendam) leaving from Fort Lauderdale since December 2017
- Oceania Cruises (ships Marina and Regatta) starting in 2017, Cuba circumnavigation, stops in Cienfuegos and Havana, also part of some Panama Canal transition itineraries.
- NCL (ship Norwegian Sky) 4-day itineraries with Havana overnights - starting May 2017
- Azamara Cruises (ship on Azamara Quest from Miami)
- Compagnie du Ponant (yacht Le Ponant, leaving from Miami Florida)
- Pearl Seas Cruises (ship Pearl Mist, leaving from Fort Lauderdale Florida) since January 2017
- Thomson Cruises (ship Thomson Dream) 7-day, leaving roundtrip from Jamaica (Montego Bay) to Havana
- Lindblad Expeditions (chartered sailing ship MS Panorama II, leaving from Havana)
- Celestyal Cruises (ship Celestyal Crystal, leaving from Havana and Montego Bay Jamaica)
- Grand Circle Cruise Line (ship MV Clio / ex Tere Moana) one-way from Miami to Havana, or the reverse from Havana to Miami (embarkation/disembarkation in port Cienfuegos).
- International Expeditions (leaving from Havana, charter flights out of Miami)
- Victory Cruise Lines - MS Victory I (former MS Saint Laurent) - fly-cruises from Miami to Havana (home-port Cienfuegos /departures)
- Note: According to the current Cuban law, US citizens of Cuban origin (born in Cuba) are not allowed to visit the island country (including on cruise ships). Regardless of their US citizenship status, Cuban-born Americans were denied booking on cruise itineraries visiting ports in Cuba. However, the situation changed in April 2016, after Carnival Corporation negotiated with the Cuban government for allowing ships with Cuban-born passengers, as such US citizens are allowed to visit the country on USA-Cuba charter flights. The Carnival-fathom cruise line started Miami to Cuba cruises in May 2016 with the transferred from P&O UK ship Adonia. The brand was terminated in April 2017.
- Alaska Airlines offers regular nonstop flights to Havana from Los Angeles (California USA). An 80-min ling JetBlue flight from Fort Lauderdale (Florida) to Havana costs less than USD 100. Previously, air travel from USA to Cuba was thought charter flights only.
Carnival Journeys cruise itineraries 2017-2018
Since 2015, Carnival Cruise Line offers the so called "Carnival Journeys" itineraries. These are longer than usual sailings with length ranging between 9 and 15 nights and some of them are one-ways (relocation cruises). "Carnival Journeys" offer more in-depth port of call experiences than the shorter itineraries of 7-8 nights. Among the highlights are live entertainment and exotic culinary experiences that reflect the local cuisine and cultural traditions. The onboard "journey" experiences feature local cuisine specialties served in the Main Dining Room, cooking demonstration, Academy of Fun (expert lectures), traditional dance performances, themed deck parties, crew connections (opportunities to connect with the ship's staff and crew). The new 2016-2017 Carnival itinerary program "Carnival Journeys" to feature destinations, such as Hawaii, Caribbean, Panama Canal. Follows the list (updated) of such voyages and the ships on which they can be booked:
- May 15, 2017 - SUNSHINE - 10-days round-trip from Charleston SC
- Sept 2, 2017 - MIRACLE - 14-days Alaska round-trip from Los Angeles (Long Beach) CA. This is the Carnival's ever first Alaskan itinerary including the Icy Strait Point. It also features a full-day passing through Glacier Bay. The list of onboard activities includes Alaska-themed cultural and culinary events and themed seminars (photography, arts, crafts, cooking, celestial navigation). The list of Alaskan shore excursion includes hiking, sea kayaking, canoeing, helicopter flightseeing tours, lake snorkeling.
- Sept 12, 2017 - LEGEND - 10-days Alaska repositioning from Vancouver to Honolulu Hawaii
- Oct 28, 2017 - FREEDOM - 14-days partial Panama Canal transit roundtrip from Galveston TX
- Nov 5, 2017 - ECSTASY - 10-days Caribbean roundtrip from Charleston SC
- Dec 4, 2017 - PARADISE - 10-days partial Panama Canal transit roundtrip from Tampa FL
- Aug 25, 2018 - SPLENDOR - 14-day Alaskan cruise roundtrip from Long Beach (Los Angeles) California.
In February 2016, Carnival Cruise Line opened reservations for its fleet through April 2018, with more than 3,500 sailings of 2 to 19 days offered across its 24 cruise ships, as well as the brand new Carnival Vista set to debut on May 1 in Europe. The voyages will explore more than 70 destinations throughout Alaska, Hawaii, Europe, Mexico, the Caribbean and other popular regions. Cruises depart from around 20 North American homeports, which provides consumers with cost-effective means for getting to/from their cruise.
Among the wide variety of offers are more than 2,500 cruises of up to 5 days, providing Carnival guests with an array of options in short cruise market, including new 4- and 5-day deployments for Carnival Valor from Port Canaveral and Carnival Victory from Miami, providing an unparalelled number of balcony staterooms on the two popular routes. There are 22 longer Carnival Journeys as well, visiting exotic ports of call and 13 Bermuda cruises departing from 7 East Coast homeports. Carnival will also offer 2 unique Panama Canal experiences aboard Carnival Pride from Tampa.
New Carnival Caribbean cruise shore excursions
Since July 2015, Carnival Cruise Line offers new shore excursions, new customized private tours and new family-friendly enhancements with complimentary beachside activities and complimentary land tours in select Caribbean ports of call. The min age requirement is 5 yo.
The new tour deals pertain to over 50 call ports in Mexico, Hawaii, Bahamas, Caribbean, Canada New England, South America.
- Cozumel (‘La Casa en la Playa’) 5-hour tour offers luxury limited to 30 participants who have an access to a beach house for the day with 5-star service provided by wait staff and personal chef. They also can learn Mexican cooking, making Margaritas and mojitos.
- Cozumel (‘Photo Safari and Beach Expedition’) is a 2-days tour starting with 1-hour photo seminar on the cruise ship. On the next day the tour continues with visiting a national park and beaches.
- Ocho Rios (‘Eat, Drink and Dance’) is a food themed tour about Jamaica’s culture, music and food. After food tasting at jerk hut, passengers enjoy dining at Miss T’s Kitchen. Follows a visit to a beach bar (where mixologists create rum cocktails), then ends with reggae dance lessons.
- Ocho Rios (‘Jamaican Home for the Day’) is a day-long tour on which cruise passengers enjoy their own Jamaican home, with included home-cooked lunch.
- Charlotte Amalie / St Thomas Island (‘"Eat, Drink and Walk") is a walking tour starting with bus drive to StPeter Mountain Great House and Botanical Gardens. Passengers can try 24 different local rums and learn how to make banana daiquiri and local food.
Carnival also offers new “family friendly” cruise shore excursions in Bahamas, Mexico and Caribbean. On these tours, kids aged 5 and under receive complimentary beach excursions if their parents book the excursion.
- Freeport Bahamas (‘Family Beach Escape’) tour starts with a bus ride to a beach resort, where kids enjoy treasure hunts, face-painting, sandcastle-making competitions and other supervised outdoor activities. Lunch is included.
- Cozumel (‘Island Beach Escape for Families by Power Catamaran’) tour starts with power catamaran ride to Passion Island and its white-sand beaches and resort facilities. Adults enjoy water trampolines, pedal boats, beach volleyball, while kids play is a dedicated beachside playground. Mexican-style buffet is included.
- Nassau Bahamas (‘Family Treasure Hunt with Lunch at Blue Lagoon’) - discover hidden treasures, answer trivia questions, win Pirate’s Bounty. Grilled lunch at Blue Lagoon Island is included.
- Montego Bay Jamaica ("All Inclusive Family Beach Resort Getaway’) tour is at Seawinds Beach Club and includes live entertainment and complimentary buffet lunch.
For more authentic tour experience, Carnival offers private tours via motor coaches, yachts and helicopters. These excursions are all guided by experienced locals. Carnival cruise ships have a new onboard lounge tour dispatch system, from where these tours depart as tour operators board the ship to meet the participants.
All of the new Carnival cruise tour offers complement the company's "Shore Excursion Best Price Guarantee" that provides 110% refund in OBC (onboard credit) should clients find a better price on similar tours.
Each of the Fun Ships also has a dedicated shore excursion desk with experienced staff to answer any questions and to recommend particular tours. Carnival's shore excursion section on carnival.com was revamped with enhanced navigation, more tour videos and photos, online reservations. Guest-written tour reviews are also available there.
Carnival "fathom" cruise line itineraries
In April 2016, Carnival Corporation launched the fathom cruise brand (with a lower case "f"). The new company was designed to offer an unique “social impact travel” experience and was the first cruise line dedicated to volunteer tourism (voluntourism).
- Fathom Cruises catered to travelers who wanted to have positive impact on people’s lives, to experience personal growth while making engaging contributions to the world. Fathom gave its customers the opportunity to work directly with people to improve their lives. The brand targeted mainly first-time cruisers.
- The 710-passenger ship Adonia was transferred from P&O UK to fathom. The vessel underwent a drydock refurbishment in March 2016, nut without structural changes. The fathom company's President was Tara Russell (Create Common Good's founder and chairman).
- The first fathom cruise itinerary was a 7-day voyage on Adonia, roundtrip from Miami. The first port of call was Amber Cove (Carnival's exclusive port in Dominican Republic). There, passengers were able to choose from a range of both onboard and ashore activities.
- Each week, a new cruise passenger group boarded Adonia and underwent 2 sea days of training in local volunteer activities. Then the ship arrived at Amber Cove, where passengers spent up to 3 days working with local organizations and residents. The program also included reforestation projects, as well as exploration and recreational activities. The Adonia ship offered only low-key onboard entertainment and activities - no casino, no large theater shows. Food included local specialties.
- Dominican Republic impact activities were designed to help local economy, education and environment. Fathom cruise tourists were engaged (and participated alongside with local partners) in the following activities - "Student / Community English Conversation and Learning", "Water Filter Production" (produced and installed in community homes), "Reforestation and Nursery", "Concrete Floors in Community Homes", "Cacao and Women's Chocolate Cooperative" (helping small woman-owned business by cleaning cacao nibs, also wrapping, packaging and preparing for sale cacao products), "Recycled Paper and Crafts Entrepreneurship".
- Cuba-themed onboard activities included Cuban food and rum tastings, live music concerts, history- and art-themed lectures, film screenings. Cuban shore excursions included Old Havana walking tour (local cafe lunch included), Havana tour visiting Tropicana and Cabaret Parisien in a classic American car. Santaigo de Cuba tour (visits several community projects),
- The second Adonia fathom cruise itinerary was a 7-day voyage from Miami to Cuba, where the ship visited the ports Havana, Cienfuegos, Santiago de Cuba. Ashore activities (cruise-price inclusive) were again educational- and humanitarian themed. The daily "shore excursion" programming was 8 hours long (each day, mandatory for all passengers) and included activities like city walks, visiting Colimar (fishing village), private home-restaurant (paladares) lunches, meeting Cuban people, visiting local ruins, museums, schools.
- Fathom cruise prices included volunteer training, all excursions, supplies (tips were not included). Fathom pricing varied by season and started from USD 1540 per person per day (Dominican Republic itinerary) and USD 2990 (Cuban itinerary). Bookings required a fully-refundable USD 300 pp deposit 90 days before departure. Deals were inclusive of select ashore activities, lunch in Santiago de Cuba and Dominican Republic impact activities. Carnival's Cuban cruise itinerary program started in May 2016. Fathom sales / bookings opened on July 7, 2015.. A portion of every fathom cruise ticket went to partner organizations to cover ashore activities (travel, supplies, local personnel).
- In October 2015, Carnival Corporation announced fathom's cruise prices range - from USD 970 (inside cabin, low season fare) to USD 8250 (suite accommodation, peak season fare). Prices excluded Gov taxes, port fees, gratuities (USD 80 pp) and Cuban visas (USD 75 pp).
- Fathom was the world's first cruise line to offer voyages to Cuba. Travel became possible in 2016 following the gradual relaxation of USA' trade embargo against the country. On March 21, 2016, Carnival Corporation executives met with Government officials in Havana to sign the USA to Cuba cruise ship travel agreement. On April 26, 2016, Cuba lifted the ban on Cuban-born US citizens to enter the country on ships, Fathom's maiden voyage to Cuba from Miami was on May 1, 2016.
- On June 1, 2016, were opened fathoms' bookings for 2017. Carnival also announced all Adonia's departure dates for 2017 - to Dominican Republic (Jan. 1, Jan. 15, Jan. 29, Feb. 12, Feb. 26, March 12, March 26, April 9, April 23, May 7, May 21, June 4, June 18, July 2, July 16, July 30, Aug. 13, Aug. 27, Sept. 10, Sept. 24, Oct. 8, Oct. 22, Nov. 5, Nov. 19, Dec. 3, Dec. 17, Dec. 31) and to Cuba (Jan. 8, Jan. 22, Feb. 5, Feb. 19, March 5, March 19, April 2, April 16, April 30, May 14, May 28, June 11, June 25, July 9, July 23, Aug. 6, Aug. 20, Sept. 3, Sept. 17, Oct. 1, Oct. 15, Oct. 29, Nov. 12, Nov. 26, Dec. 10, Dec. 24).
- In Novembr 2016, Carnival Corporation announced that all its brands' ships that visit Amber Cove (including Carnival, Holland America, Princess, AIDA, Costa, P&O UK) will offer their passengers to participate in the fathom-created voluntourism activities. However, unlike fathom (which was price-inclusive af the impact activities), for the other Carnival lines volunteer opportunities cost extra and were sold as shore excursions.
- Also in November 2016, P&O UK announced Adonia's return to the UK in June 2017. The remainder of the above-listed scheduled for 2017 departures were cancelled. In May 2017, Adonia underwent a drydock refurbishment before re-joining the P&O fleet.
Carnival Cruise Line related cruise news
Carnival Cruise Line's fans now have the opportunity to book two full-price passengers into a triple or quad cabin, and the 3rd and 4th guests sail...July 22, 2017
Carnival Cruise Line is expanding a program that has proven successful during the initial testing phase. According to the Senior Cruise...July 20, 2017
Carnival Cruise Line altered a couple of itineraries onboard Carnival Magic and Carnival Vista due to Tropical Storm Don. Carnival Magic...July 19, 2017
As of July 10, 2017 Carnival Cruise Line pays travel agents Future Cruise Credits commission, applied to new bookings. The new commission structure...July 12, 2017
A 40-year old cruise passenger seeking medical attention has been transported off Carnival Triumph. Around 12:30 p.m. on Friday, July 7, the...July 9, 2017
The steel cutting ceremony of the 3rd “Vista” class cruise ship, that Fincantieri is building for Carnival Cruise Line, took place...July 7, 2017
Carnival's Green Thunder waterslide rescues families from boring holidays and takes them onboard line's cruises in the first piece of work out...July 7, 2017
Before Carnival Cruise Line had even begun thinking about its Vista, there was Pinnacle, and it was to be massive, featuring a monorail running...July 3, 2017
A 77-year-old man has been medevaced from a cruise liner near Southwest Pass, Louisiana. On Saturday, July 1, the New Orleans Coast Guard...July 3, 2017
Carnival Cruise Line and Roland Corporation U.S. announced they will work together to further enhance cruise line’s entertainment options...July 1, 2017
- show more news