Carnival Cruise Line fleet
Review of Carnival Cruise Line
Carnival Cruise Lines is a cruise line based in Doral, Florida (suburb of Miami in the U.S.). This American owned line was originally an independent company founded by Ted Arison in 1972. The initial public offering of 20% common stock in 1987, provided capital which allowed the beginning of expansion. Today, it is one of the ten cruise ship brands owned and operated by Carnival Corp. & plc. Carnival Cruise Lines has the largest fleet in the whole group, with 24 ships currently in operation, accounting for 21% of the worldwide market share. Company's executive control is provided by the North American division of Carnival Corp.
Carnival is the pioneer in the concept of less expensive, shorter cruises. Its vessels are known for their Las Vegas-style entertainment and decor. Carnival Cruise Lines calls its ships "The Fun Ships", as there are a wealth of activities featured on board. Line's trademark is the red, white and blue funnel, which is shaped like the tail of a whale. Fun Ship Freddy is the mascot for Carnival, a character in the shape of the distinctive funnel.
In 1996 the 101,000-GT Carnival Destiny became the biggest passenger ship in the world and the first to weigh over 100,000 tons.
On October 26, 2012 it was announced that Carnival Corporation had ordered a brand new cruise ship for the Carnival Cruise Lines brand. The ship was to be built by Fincantieri and expected to be the largest they had ever created. It was also planned to be the first of a new class of ships with a 4,000-passenger capacity and a gross tonnage of 135,000. The new ship will be named Carnival Vista and is scheduled for delivery in 2016 spring, nearly 4 years after the Breeze entered service.
Carnival Corporation & plc is an American-British cruise company, the largest cruise ship operator in the world, with a combined fleet of more than 100 ships across 10 cruise line brands, with the new "fathom" brand advertised for launch in 2016. Carnival is a dual listed company, composed of two parties, Carnival Corporation and Carnival plc, combined as one entity, despite their separate listings, respectively on the New York and London stock exchanges. As such, Carnival Corporation & plc is the only company in the world listed on both the FTSE 100 and S&P 500 indices. Carnival group has its global headquarters in Doral, FL in the United States and Southampton in the United Kingdom, with regional headquarters in the UK, Germany, Italy, Australia and United States.
Carnival Corp. & plc was formed in 2003, with the merger of P&O Princess Cruises plc and Carnival Corporation. In 1972 the Corporation was originally established as Carnival Cruise Lines. The company had a steady growth throughout the 70s and 80s, making an initial public offering in 1987 on the New York Stock Exchange. The capital generated was used for financing acquisitions, and between 1989 and 1999, the Carnival company acquired Windstar Cruises, Holland America Line, Westours, Costa Cruises, Cunard Line and Seabourn Cruise Line. In 1993 the "Carnival Corporation" name was adopted in order to distinguish the parent company from the flagship line subsidiary.
Prior to the merger, P&O Princess Cruises had agreed on a merger with Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. However, there was a decision to abandon the deal after Carnival Corp. made a new bid featuring improved terms for British shareholders. P&O Princess Cruises plc remained as a listed on the London Stock Exchange separate company, retaining its management team and British shareholder body. The company was renamed Carnival plc, with operations of the two parties merged into one entity. Carnival Corp. and Carnival plc, jointly own all Carnival group's operating companies.
Carnival Group – Carnival Corporation's lines
The list of Carnival Group cruise brands (Carnival Corporation & PLC lines and subsidiary companies) includes P&O, Cunard, Princess, Seabourn,P&O Australia, Holland America Line (HAL), Carnival Cruises (CCL), AIDA (Kreuzfahrten) and Costa (Crociere).
Carnival Group companies list
- Carnival UK Group
Carnival group includes the following seven cruise lines: AIDA (Germany) and Costa (Italy); Carnival Cruises (United States); Cunard (United Kingdom); Holland America Line (United States); P&O Cruises (United Kingdom); P&O Cruises Australia (Australia); Princess Cruises (United States); Seabourn Cruise Line (United States). They offer tradition of excellence and quality which distinguishes the group and gives leader position in cruising. Company website - carnivalukgroup.com
- Princess Cruises
The American-style sister of P&O Cruises, sharing a commitment to provide stylish sea ship vacation experience and first-class service. The dress code is more informal and relaxed. Company website – princess.com
- Carnival Corporation & plc
Founded in 2002- merger of P&O Princess and Carnival Corp. Headquarters of Carnival Corporation: Doral, Florida, US; Carnival plc: Southampton, England, UK. Carnival Corporation & plc is the world’s largest cruise ship company. It is British-American company, comprising Carnival plc and Oriental Steam Company of 19th century. The company is one of the world’s oldest cruise ship operators, as P&O’s first passenger ship was introduced in 1844.
Carnival Corporation & plc has headquarters at Carnival Place in Miami suburbs of Doral, Florida, USA and at Carnival House, Southampton, Hampshire, England. The corporation and plc are separate companies with different shareholder bodies. Jointly they own the operating companies in group- Carnival Corp.- the majority stake.
It was agreed in 2002, that P&O Princess would remain a separate company, relisted as Carnival plc in London, with predominantly British shareholder body, retaining P&O Princess executive team. Carnival Corporation & plc comprises 11 cruise line brands, which operate combined fleet of about 100 ships, with about 190,000 berths and new ships on order.
The executive control is directed by geographical location, as Carnival UK controls operations in the UK (operations of Cunard Line, P&O (UK and AU), Princess); Carnival Corporation controls the operations in North America; Costa Cruises Group controls operations in rest of Europe. The combined brands of Carnival Corp in 2011 controlled a 49.2% share of the world cruise market.
The first acquisition in 1989 of Holland America Line, including Windstar Cruises and Holland America Tours, was followed in 1992 by Seabourn Cruise Line. Note: Windstar was sold to Xanterra Parks and Resorts (the US largest park management company) in 2011.
In 1993 changed name to Carnival Corporation, continuing to expand into cruise travel industry, acquisitioning in 1998 Cunard and Costa in 2000. Company website - phx.corporate-ir.net
- Costa Cruises Group
Being within the largest cruise operators in Europe, as part of Carnival Corporation & plc, Costa Cruises became one of primary companies in the group, mainly responsible Europe operations. It controls AIDA Cruises in Germany, Costa Cruises (Costa Crociere) in Italy and Ibero Cruises (iberoCruceros) in Spain (new cruise brand, created in 2007 by Carnival Corp). Company website - costacruise.com
- Carnival PLC
Holding company of Carnival Group, formed after the merger of P&O Princess Cruises and Carnival Corporation in 2003. P&O Princess remained a separate company, predominantly British owned and retaining P&O Princess executive staff. Soon after that, P&O Princess was re-listed as Carnival plc (associated with Carnival UK operations), and responsible for Carnival Cruises, Costa Cruises and Holland America Line.
As result of a merger between P&O Princess and Carnival Corp, in 2002 was formed Carnival UK. At that time P&O Princess operated in the UK as the largest ship operator and owned AIDA Cruises brands; Ocean Village; Princess Cruises; P&O Cruises, P&O Cruises Australia. P&O demerged cruise ship operations on the 23rd of October 2000, forming P&O Princess Cruises plc. The new company became the largest cruise operator in the UK. In 2002 P&O Princess Cruises plc announced the Ocean Village brand, commencing operations in May 2003. After that, the company had agreed to merged with Carnival Corporation. P&O Princess Cruises plc was then re-registered as Carnival plc.
- Carnival UK
Primary operating of Carnival plc, one of major operating companies in Carnival Group. Consisting of former P&O Princess brands, with executive control of Cunard line and P&O Cruises. Sharing facilities and departmental areas with UK operations of Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, Yachts of Seabourn. Carnival’s base is in purpose-built headquarters at Carnival House, Southampton, England. The company Carnival Corp & plc also has offices in UK for other operating bodies.
Carnival UK is a trade mark and a business name of the Carnival PLC and a separate company incorporated in UK (registered in London, England). Its office address is “5 Gainsford Str, London SE1 2NE”. Company website - carnivalukgroup.com
- Carnival Australia
A branch of Carnival PLC, with control of P&O Australia brand, responsible for operations of Carnival Corporation & PLC ships in South Pacific and Australia regions. Company website - carnivalaustralia.com
Carnival Cruise Lines boasts top-notch technologies, innovative construction methods and ship designs. Its clientele consists mostly of Americans, 30% of which are under 35, 40% - between 35-55, and 30% over 55.
The line offers spacious public spaces and staterooms that are one of the largest at sea with a huge variety of stateroom types in several categories. Between the high quality amenities are Carnival's terry robes and “Comfort Bed” sleep system with deluxe mattresses, linens, duvets and pillows - Suite guests can even choose from a “pillow menu”.
Carnival is famous for its great cuisine and multiple dining options. The long list of dining venues includes the Main Dining Rooms (with 5-course meals), Chef’s Table (ship tour & gourmet cuisine), Supper Club with steakhouse favorites (reservations-only), BlueIguana Cantina (Mexican), Sushi Bar, European-style Patisseries and Cafes, Poolside Bars, themed Kids Dining, Midnight Buffets, 24-hour Pizza and Room Service.
The cruise ships of Carnival Cruise Lines provide a variety of onboard activities - from napkin-folding classes, Vegas-style revues and gourmet & kitchen tours to cool deck parties, belly-flop pool competitions and waterslide races. Among the “cruising experience” upgrades is the vacation guarantee program allowing travelers who are unhappy with their cruise to get a 110% refund and disembark at the first port of the itinerary. The main facilities include Seaside Theatre (outdoors), Thrill Theatre (3D), Disco/Nightclub, Casino (gambling, tournaments), Stage Shows, Playlist productions, Hasbro Game Show, Carnival Waterworks (aqua park).
For those who love sports, Carnival has done a great job by creating the SportSquare with ropes SkyCourse, SkyRide and Basketball Court, also used also for Soccer and Volleyball.
SkyRide is an outdoor / aerial bicycle ride on the newest Vista-class Carnival ships.
This is the industry's first pedal-powered open-air bike ride in hanging bikes encircling around an 800-ft / 245-m long suspended track on the ship's top deck, allowing 360-degree panoramic views 150 ft / 46 m above sea level.
Foosball and Ping-Pong tables are available, as well as a Walking/Jogging track and Fitness Center with a separate room for Yoga, Aerobics and Pilates classes.
There is also a Mini-Golf course and great golf cruise packages created for keen golfers.
Carnival caters for families with amazing kids programs. Kids club activities by “Camp Ocean” kids program feature “Dr Seuss at Sea” entertainment programming. At the same time moms and dads are able to unwind in the many relaxation lounges and complexes: Carnival Cloud 9 Spa, Serenity Adult Retreat, themed Bars (RedFrog, BlueIguana, Alchemy, Havana, Sports), big-size Swimming Pools and Whirlpools.
Carnival Cruise Lines has been spending a lot on fleet refurbishments and upgrades since 2007. The initiative “Evolutions of Fun” cost US$350 million on eight Fantasy-class cruise ships and included new deck spaces, kids facilities, “WaterWorks” aqua park with water-slides. The “Fun Ship 2.0”, launched in 2011, cost US$500 million and featured new dining venues; transforming cabins; themed bars, lounges and clubs. The biggest part of the program was the transformation of Carnival Destiny into Carnival Sunshine in 2013 at the staggering US$155 million for a 49-day drydock refurbishment.
At the following link you can compare Carnival’s major rival – Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines (ships list, and review of the RCCL onboard experience).
Itinerary of Carnival Cruise Line
The 2016-2017-2018 program offers over 3500 itineraries raging in length from 2 to 19-nights (on 24 ships, including the new Vista ship debuting May 1, 2016). Of those, over 2500 itineraries are bookable as short cruise deals (duration between 2 and 5 days). These include departures from Miami (Victory) and Port Canaveral (Valor) with 4- and 5-day Bahamas itineraries.
- The program offers over 70 destinations around the world and departures from nearly 20 different home-ports in North America.
- There are a total of 22 "Carnival Journeys" itineraries (longer in length) plus 13 "Bermuda" cruises leaving out of USA East Coast ports.
- There are 2 Carnival Panama Canal cruises (with partial transition) on Carnival Pride (out of Baltimore, Jan 2017) and out of Tampa (Feb 2017).
- New deployments for 2018 (departure ports) are the Carnival Breeze 7-day cruises from Galveston TX, Carnival Magic 7-day cruises from Port Canaveral, and Carnival Triumph 4- and 4-day Mexico cruises from NOLA (New Orleans).
- New Carnival Cozumel excursions (by the Cozumel Plus" program) offer longer land tour experiences. Cozumel Mexico is included as port of call in over 750 Western Caribbean cruise itineraries. The land tour programming includes snorkeling (Xel-Ha Park), "Secret River" (caverns exploration), Mayan ruins (Chichen Itza). Tours as length vary from 4 to 8 hours, and feature new local tour operator partnerships. Accordingly, Carnival ships will offer extended port stays to accommodate the longer excursions. The new itineraries are marked at the line's website as "Cozumel Plus".
- In July 2016, Carnival Cruise Line implemented the "staggered check-in embarkation" on all Ecstasy and Sunshine ships cruises (leaving out of Charleston SC, effective since July 9) and on all Pride ship cruises (out of Baltimore MD, effective since July 10). By the new embarkation procedure, all passengers are given pre-assigned ship boarding times. The new process was first tested in Galveston TX (in 2015's end) and was rolled out in Honolulu HI, Miami FL, New Orleans LA and Norfolk VA.
Follows a review of Carnival Cruise Lines itinerary program for 2016-2017-2018 scheduled itineraries. For sailing dates (departures, arrivals), ports of call times and Carnival cruise prices per person follow the ship pages listed below.
- Carnival Breeze (home-ports Miami FL, Galveston TX) operates on round-trips to Eastern Caribbean (Grand Turk, Puerto Rico, St Kitts, St Maarten), Western Caribbean (Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel Mexico) and Southern Caribbean (Dominican Republic, Curacao, Aruba). REPOSITIONING: In May 2016, the ship starts departures out of Galveston Texas to Bahamas (Key West FL, Nassau, Freeport) and Western Caribbean (Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Roatan Honduras, Belize, Mexico - Cozumel and Costa Maya). In September 2018 Carnival Breeze will move to Port Canaveral.
- Carnival Conquest (home-port Fort Lauderdale FL) operates on itineraries to Southern Caribbean (Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, Dominican Republic), Western Caribbean (Key West FL, Cozumel Mexico, Jamaica, Belize, Roatan Honduras), Eastern Caribbean (St Maarten, St Kitts, Puerto Rico, Grand Turk, Grand Cayman) and Bahamas (Freeport, Nassau, Half Moon Cay).
- Carnival Dream (home-port New Orleans Louisiana) operates on 7-day round-trips to Bahamas (Key West, Freeport, Nassau), Western Caribbean (Cozumel Mexico, Belize, Roatan Honduras) and Eastern Caribbean (Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel).
- Carnival Ecstasy (home-ports Miami FL, Charleston SC) operates on round-trips to Western Caribbean (Key West FL, Cozumel Mexico) and Bahamas (3-day to Nassau). REPOSITIONING: In February 2016, the ship starts departures out of Charleston to Bahamas (4- and 5-day to Nassau, Freeport, Half Moon Cay).
- Carnival Elation (home-port New Orleans LA, Jacksonville FL) operates on cruises to Western Caribbean from New Orleans (4-day to Cozumel, 5-day Cozumel and Progreso). REPOSITIONING: In April 2016, the ship starts departures out of Jacksonville to Bahamas (4- and 5-day to Nassau, Freeport, Half Moon Cay).
- Carnival Fantasy (home-ports Charleston SC, Miami Florida, Mobile Alabama) operates on Bahamas cruises out of Charleston (4-day Nassau, 5-day Nassau and Freeport). REPOSITIONING: In February 2016, the ship starts departures from Miami to Western Caribbean (Key West FL, Cozumel Mexico) and to Bahamas (3-day Nassau, 5-day Nassau and Freeport). REPOSITIONING: In November 2016, the ship starts departures from Mobile AL to Mexico (4-day Cozumel, 5-day Cozumel and Progreso).
- Carnival Fascination (home-port Jacksonville FL) operates on cruises to Bahamas - 4-and 5-day to Nassau, Freeport and Half Moon Cay. REPOSITIONING: In April 2016, the ship starts departures out of San Juan Puerto Rico and Bridgetown Barbados - 7-day to Eastern Caribbean (St Lucia, St Kitts, St Maarten, St Thomas).
- Carnival Freedom (home-port Galveston Texas) operates on 7-day round-trips to bahamas-Eastern Caribbean (Nassau, Freeport, Key West Florida) and Western Caribbean (Cozumel Mexico, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan).
- Carnival Horizon will spend part of her first year sailing out of New York to Bermuda. Currently under construction in Italy, the 3,954-passenger Carnival Horizon will operate short, 4-night voyages to the island destination during spring and summer of 2018. The trips will be in addition to previously announced, 8-night Caribbean cruises that the 133,500-ton vessel will start operating out of the Big Apple in May 2018. Carnival Horizon will debut in April 2018 with Mediterranean sailings from Barcelona. On May 9, the ship will reposition to New York before a series of 8-night Caribbean cruises throughout the summer. On September 22, 2018 the Horizon ship will continue to the next homeport, Miami, for an year-round schedule of 6- and 8-night Caribbean voyages.
- Carnival Glory (home-port Miami Florida) operates on 7-day round-trips to Western Caribbean (Grand Cayman, Roatan Honduras, Belize, Cozumel Mexico) and Bahamas and Eastern Caribbean (Half Moon Cay, St Thomas, Puerto Rico, Grand Turk). The ship also offers trips to Southern Caribbean (St Croix, Dominica, Grenada, Bonaire, Aruba, Curacao).
- Carnival Imagination (home-port Long Beach California) operates on Baja cruises to Ensenada Mexico (3-day) and to Santa Catalina Island and Ensenada (4-day).
- Carnival Inspiration (home-port Long Beach California) operates on Baja cruises to Ensenada Mexico (3-day) and also to Santa Catalina and Ensenada (4-day).
- Carnival Legend (home-ports Sydney Australia, Seattle WA) operates on round-trips to South Pacific Islands (New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Fiji). REPOSITIONING (through Hawaii): During summer, Carnival Legend operates on Alaskan cruises out of Seattle. In 2018 Carnival Legend will be homeported in Melbourne.
- Carnival Liberty (home-ports San Juan Puerto Rico, Bridgetown Barbados) operates on 7-day round-trips to Eastern Caribbean (St Lucia, St Kitts, St Maarten, St Thomas). REPOSITIONING: In April 2016, Carnival Liberty starts departures pout of Galveston TX to Mexico - 4-day Cozumel, 5-day Cozumel and Progreso.
- Carnival Magic (home-ports Galveston Texas, Port Canaveral FL) operates on 7-day round-trips to Western Caribbean (Cozumel Mexico, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman, Jamaica) and Bahamas (Key West FL, Nassau, Freeport). REPOSITIONING: Carnival Magic will be sent to Port Canaveral Florida in October 2016 for cruises to Eastern Caribbean (Dominican Republic, St Thomas, Puerto Rico, Grand Turk) and Western Caribbean (Costa Maya Mexico, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel). In 2017-2018 week-long Carnival Magic voyages will be offered from Port Canaveral. In September 2018 Carnival Magic will shift to Miami.
- Carnival Miracle (home-port Long Beach CA) operates on 7-day round-trips to Mexican Riviera (Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta). Plans for REPOSITIONING: Carnival Miracle to be sent to China in early 2018 to offer Asia cruises were later changed - the ship will continue sailing from North America in 2018. The Miracle ship will sail on 7-day Caribbean cruises from Tampa.
- Carnival Paradise (home-port Tampa Florida) operates on round-trips to Western Caribbean - 4-day to Cozumel Mexico, and 5-day to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Carnival Cruise Line’s Cuba sailings kick off on June 29, 2017 for a series of 4- and 5-night voyages from Tampa aboard Carnival Paradise and will make it the largest American cruise ship sailing to Cuba.
- Carnival Pride (home-port Baltimore MD) operates on round-trips to Florida-Bahamas (Port Canaveral, Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk), and occasionally out of Tampa to Western Caribbean (Grand Cayman, Cozumel Mexico). Panama Canal experiences from Baltimore January 2017 and from Tampa February 2017.
- Carnival Sensation (home-ports Florida - Port Canaveral, Miami) operates on round-trips to Bahamas (3-day Nassau, 4-day Nassau and Freeport, 5-day with Half Moon Cay), Western Caribbean (Cozumel Mexico, Key West FL) and Eastern Caribbean (Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Grand Turk, Dominican Republic).
- Carnival Spirit (home-port Sydney Australia) operates on round-trips to Melbourne, Queensland, New Zealand, South Pacific Islands (Fiji, New Caledonia, Vanuatu) and also on Cruises to Nowhere (out of Sydney AU). Carnival Spirit will not be deployed to China (as it was announced) for Australian winter season in 2018 after a scheduled dry dock in Singapore. The ship will instead stay in Sydney.
- Carnival Splendor (home-port Miami Florida) operates on round-trips to Eastern Caribbean (Puerto Rico, St Thomas, Dominican Republic) and Western Caribbean (Cozumel Mexico, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman). In 2018 Splendor will sail on seven-day Mexican Riviera cruises from Long Beach. Continuing the expansion of Carnival Journeys longer enrichment sailings, Carnival Splendor will operate a round-trip 14-day Alaskan adventure from Long Beach CA, featuring awe-inspiring sites like majestic Hubbard Glacier and a day-long call on Icy Strait Point, an unspoiled wilderness area which offers some of the best whale and bear watching and the longest zip-line in the world. REPOSITIONING: Carnival Splendor will be sent to China in spring 2019 to offer Asia cruises.
- Carnival Sunshine (home-ports Port Canaveral Florida, Charleston SC, Norfolk VA, NYC New York) operates on round-trips to Bahamas (Nassau, Freeport, Half Moon Cay), Eastern Caribbean (Puerto Rico, St Thomas, Grand Turk, Dominican Republic), Canada New England (Saint John, Halifax, Boston), Bermuda, and also on Cruises to Nowhere (out of New York and Norfolk).
- Carnival Triumph (home-ports Galveston TX, New Orleans LA) operates on round-trips to Western Caribbean - 5-day Mexico (Cozumel, Progreso) and 4-day Mexico (Cozumel). In 2017-2018 4- and 5-day Carnival Triumph sailings from New Orleans.
- Carnival Valor (home-port Port Canaveral Florida) operates on round-trips to Eastern Caribbean (Dominican Republic, St Thomas, Puerto Rico, Grand Turk), Western Caribbean (Belize, Roatan, Mexico /Cozumel, Costa Maya) and Southern Caribbean (Aruba, Curacao, Grand Turk).
- Carnival Victory (home-ports Port Canaveral Florida, San Juan Puerto Rico) operates on round-trips to Bermuda and Southern Caribbean (St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts, St Maarten); 2017-2018 cruises out of Miami.
- Carnival Vista (home-port Miami Florida) operates on round-trips to Eastern Caribbean (Grand Turk, Puerto Rico, St Kitts, St Maarten), Western Caribbean (Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel) and Southern Caribbean (Dominican Republic, Curacao, Bonaire, Aruba). In September 2018 Carnival Vista will reposition to Galveston.
- Note: Carnival established cruise ship operations in China via a partnership with its local subsidiary company Costa Asia. Costa has been in China since 2008.
Carnival cruise itinerary changes
- During winter 2017-2018 season, Carnival Spirit will be repositioned to China to offer Asia cruises round-trip from Shanghai (home-port). The seasonal redeployment is due to a scheduled drydock refurbishment in Singapore. Spirit has been homeported in Sydney Australia since 2012 performing strongly on the local market. The decision makes Spirit the first ever Carnival cruise ship departing from China. The ship will return to Australia in spring 2018 to continue the previous year-round itinerary program from Sydney. The other Carnival Asia ship is Carnival Splendor (to be repositioned in spring 2018).
- In 2018, Carnival Legend will be home-ported in Melbourne Australia (for the period February-March 2018). During that time, the ship will offer a total of 6 round-trip itineraries - three 3-night "Cruise to Nowhere" short breaks, one 4-night cruise to Tasmania, one 10-night to South Pacific islands and one 11-night around New Zealand.
- Carnival will operate cruises in Europe (starting in 2018) with the line's newest Vista-class ship (still unnamed). The new vessel, which is currently under construction in Italy, is of the same design as the new Carnival Vista.
Carnival Journeys cruise itineraries 2017-2018
Since 2015, Carnival Cruise Line offers the so called "Carnival Journeys" itineraries. These are longer than usual sailings with length ranging between 9 and 15 nights and some of them are one-ways (relocation cruises). "Carnival Journeys" offer more in-depth port of call experiences than the shorter itineraries of 7-8 nights. Among the highlights are live entertainment and exotic culinary experiences that reflect the local cuisine and cultural traditions. The onboard "journey" experiences feature local cuisine specialties served in the Main Dining Room, cooking demonstration, Academy of Fun (expert lectures), traditional dance performances, themed deck parties, crew connections (opportunities to connect with the ship's staff and crew). The new 2016-2017 Carnival itinerary program "Carnival Journeys" to feature destinations, such as Hawaii, Caribbean, Panama Canal. Follows the list (updated) of such voyages and the ships on which they can be booked:
- Feb 26, 2017 - PRIDE - 14-days repositioning from Tampa to Baltimore MD
- Apr 19, 2017 - LEGEND - 11-days Alaska repositioning from Honolulu to Vancouver BC
- May 15, 2017 - SUNSHINE - 10-days round-trip from Charleston SC
- Sept 2, 2017 - MIRACLE - 14-days Alaska round-trip from Los Angeles (Long Beach) CA. This is the Carnival's ever first Alaskan itinerary including the Icy Strait Point. It also features a full-day passing through Glacier Bay. The list of onboard activities includes Alaska-themed cultural and culinary events and themed seminars (photography, arts, crafts, cooking, celestial navigation). The list of Alaskan shore excursion includes hiking, sea kayaking, canoeing, helicopter flightseeing tours, lake snorkeling.
- Sept 12, 2017 - LEGEND - 10-days Alaska repositioning from Vancouver to Honolulu Hawaii
- Oct 28, 2017 - FREEDOM - 14-days partial Panama Canal transit roundtrip from Galveston TX
- Nov 5, 2017 - ECSTASY - 10-days Caribbean roundtrip from Charleston SC
- Dec 4, 2017 - PARADISE - 10-days partial Panama Canal transit roundtrip from Tampa FL
- Aug 25, 2018 - SPLENDOR - 14-day Alaskan cruise roundtrip from Long Beach (Los Angeles) California.
In February 2016, Carnival Cruise Line opened reservations for its fleet through April 2018, with more than 3,500 sailings of 2 to 19 days offered across its 24 cruise ships, as well as the brand new Carnival Vista set to debut on May 1 in Europe. The voyages will explore more than 70 destinations throughout Alaska, Hawaii, Europe, Mexico, the Caribbean and other popular regions. Cruises depart from around 20 North American homeports, which provides consumers with cost-effective means for getting to/from their cruise.
Among the wide variety of offers are more than 2,500 cruises of up to 5 days, providing Carnival guests with an array of options in short cruise market, including new 4- and 5-day deployments for Carnival Valor from Port Canaveral and Carnival Victory from Miami, providing an unparalelled number of balcony staterooms on the two popular routes. There are 22 longer Carnival Journeys as well, visiting exotic ports of call and 13 Bermuda cruises departing from 7 East Coast homeports. Carnival will also offer 2 unique Panama Canal experiences aboard Carnival Pride from Tampa.
Carnival's "FUNomenal Group Sail" booking promotion 2017-2019
Carnival Cruise Line's new promotion “FUNomenal Group Sail” reduces the company's required initial deposit (paid upon booking) by 50% for group cruise bookings on select itineraries. The company also offers an enhanced free cruise berth program. The promotion is for cruises departing between 2017 (August 15) and 2018 (April 30).
As an additional bonus for travel acencies, Carnival gives 1 free cruise berth for every 10 full-fare passengers. The line’s general program offers 1 free cruise berth for every 15 full-paying passengers.
Group booking rates applicable to the promotion are available on bookings made up to March 15, 2017. These fares start at USD 229 PP (for 3- to 5-day itineraries) and from USD 459 for 6-day and longer itineraries.
Carnival cruises to Cuba from Florida (Miami and Tampa)
- Itineraries (4- and 5-night in length) start in June 2017, and all include overnight stays in Havana.
- The first Carnival cruise to Cuba is on June 29.
- The 4-night itinerary's departure dates in 2017 are June 29, July 13, August 24, September 7 and 21, October 5 and 19, and in 2018 - May 3.
- The 5-night itinerary's departure dates in 2017 are August 14 and 28, September 25, October 9.
- 4-night cruises are to Havana exclusively, while the 5-day cruises also visit either Key West FL or Cozumel Mexico.
The current list of passenger shipping lines offering cruises to Cuba in 2017-2018 includes:
- Carnival-fathom (ship MV Adonia, leaving from Miami Florida)
- Royal Caribbean (ship Empress of the Seas) from Miami and Tampa since April 2017
- MSC Cruises (ship MSC Opera, leaving from Havana)
- Oceania Cruises (ships Marina and Regatta) starting in 2017, Cuba circumnavigation, stops in Cienfuegos and Havana, also part of some Panama Canal transition itineraries.
- NCL (ship Norwegian Sky, 4-day itineraries with Havana overnights - starting May 2017.
- Azamara Cruises (ship on Azamara Quest from Miami)
- Compagnie du Ponant (yacht Le Ponant, leaving from Miami Florida)
- Pearl Seas Cruises (ship Pearl Mist, leaving from Fort Lauderdale Florida)
- Thomson Cruises (ship Thomson Dream) 7-day, leaving roundtrip from Jamaica (Montego Bay) to Havana
- Lindblad Expeditions (chartered sailing ship MS Panorama II, leaving from Havana)
- Celestyal Cruises (ship Celestyal Crystal, leaving from Havana and Montego Bay Jamaica)
- Grand Circle Cruise Line (ship MV Clio / ex Tere Moana) one-way from Miami to Havana, or the reverse from Havana to Miami (embarkation/disembarkation in port Cienfuegos).
- International Expeditions (leaving from Havana, charter flights out of Miami)
- Victory Cruise Lines - MS Victory I (former MS Saint Laurent) - fly-cruises from Miami to Havana (home-port Cienfuegos /departures)
- Note: According to the current Cuban law, US citizens of Cuban origin (born in Cuba) are not allowed to visit the island country (including on cruise ships). Regardless of their US citizenship status, Cuban-born Americans were denied booking on cruise itineraries visiting ports in Cuba. However, the situation changed in April 2016, after Carnival Corporation negotiated with the Cuban government for allowing ships with Cuban-born passengers, as such US citizens are allowed to visit the country on USA-Cuba charter flights. The Carnival-fathom line started Miami to Cuba cruises in May 2016.
- Alaska Airlines offers regular nonstop flights to Havana from Los Angeles (California USA). An 80-min ling JetBlue flight from Fort Lauderdale (Florida) to Havana costs less than USD 100. Previously, air travel from USA to Cuba was thought charter flights only.
Carnival Cruise Line related cruise news
A 52-year-old cruise passenger was medevacked from Carnival Elation, when the ship was about 18 mi from Jacksonville on Saturday night...March 28, 2017
The Coast Guard last night suspended the search for a 23-year-old Brandon Paul of Floral City who went overboard from Carnival Victory north of...March 24, 2017
A passenger has fallen overboard from Carnival Victory today, igniting a search by Cuban authorities and U.S. Coast Guard. As the Carnival Cruise...March 22, 2017
A mother from North Carolina is suing Carnival Corporation citing alleged negligence because of a sexual assault against her daughter. A woman...March 18, 2017
A new cruise port located in East Grand Bahama will be built on the north shore west of Stat Oil in a region that has been determined to...March 16, 2017
Two spring breakers from Princeton, West Virginia will not face charges after both were nearly struck by a Carnival Cruise Line ship close...March 15, 2017
Brevard County marine unit and Port Canaveral harbor pilot were able to save two recreational watercraft riders as a Carnival Cruise Line ...March 13, 2017
The new ship of Carnival Cruise Line, Carnival Horizon, was launched yesterday, March 10, at Fincantieri’s shipyard in Marghera. The ship is...March 11, 2017
The National Transportation Safety Board said a cruise ship returning from a trip to Florida and Bahamas in May 2016 approached a...March 8, 2017
Carnival Splendor made her way back to Miami after suffering engine room failure. The cruise ship is reportedly running on one engine. Carnival...March 4, 2017
- show more news