Balmoral Review and Specifications
Specifications of Balmoral
|Year built||1988 / Age : 30|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||USD 180 million|
|Owner||Balmoral Cruise Ltd|
|Operator||Fred Olsen Cruise Lines|
|Speed||23 kn / 43 kph / 26 mph|
|Length (LOA)||187 m / 614 ft|
|Beam (width)||28 m / 92 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||43537 gt|
|Passengers||1350 - 1420|
|Decks with cabins||9|
|Former names||Crown Odyssey|
Current itinerary of Balmoral
Balmoral current cruise is 8 days, round-trip Christmas Markets of Germany & Denmark. The itinerary starts on 13 Dec, 2018 and ends on 21 Dec, 2018.
|Date / Time||Port|
|13 Dec||Departing from Southampton, England|
|15 Dec||Bremerhaven, Bremen, Germany|
|16 Dec||Kiel Canal, Germany|
|17 Dec||Copenhagen, Denmark|
|18 Dec||Kiel Canal, Germany|
|19 Dec||Hamburg, Germany|
|21 Dec||Arriving in Southampton, England|
Review of Balmoral
History - construction and ownership
Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines is a Norwegian-owned, UK-based cruise shipping line with four ships, part of the Fred. Olsen Group. The headquarters of the company are in Ipswich, Suffolk, the UK, and it is owned by Bonheur and Ganger Rolf. The company of Fred Olsen originated in 1848 in Hvitsten, a little town on Oslofjord, Norway, by three Olsen brothers, Petter, Andras and Fredrik Christian, who bought their first ships and established an international shipping company. Today the line is into the 5th generation of the family and operates companies skilled within cruise and passenger shipping trade, ships' crewing, ship building, aviation and offshore industries.
The 43,537-ton, 1,340-passenger cruise ship Balmoral offers a mix of old and new that is fresh and satisfying. If cruisers seek for a well-run vessel which provides peace and cosiness while also featuring a nice range of amusement, friendly service, solid cuisine, interesting routes and competitive rates, Balmoral is a good choice.
The ship debuted in 1988 as Crown Odyssey, built for Royal Cruise Line. Since then, Balmoral has changed her name to Norwegian Crown (for NCL) and Crown Odyssey (for Orient Lines). MS Balmoral debuted for Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines after a major refit and refurbishment in 2007-2008 which added a 30-meter midsection. The inaugural cruise of the ship started on February 13, 2008.
In November-October 2007, MV Balmoral (under Fred Olsen’s ownership) was stretched by inserting a 99 ft / 30 m long prefabricated middle-section. The refit resulted in an increased gross tonnage (from 34,242 to 43,537) and passenger capacity (from 1230 to 1780). During the ship’s stretching (reconstruction done in Germany, Blohm+Voss’s shipyard) were built new cruise cabins (186, including 60 balconies), restaurants, bars and lounges.
The list of other stretched (elongated) cruise ships includes the fleetmates Balmoral, Boudicca and Braemar, also the MSC Cruises ships Armonia, Lirica, Opera, the Phoenix Reisen’s Albatros and the Royal Caribbean’s Enchantment of The Seas.
Cruise itinerary program
Balmoral itinerary program is based on World Cruise deals out of UK and regular round-trip voyages from Southampton to the Mediterranean, Canary Islands, Scandinavia, Russia and the Norwegian Fjords.
Balmoral has a total number of 710 cabins (of which 68 Suites, 94 Balcony rooms, 123 Inside) in 21 grades. Most Balmoral staterooms are 165-200-sq.foot Oceanview rooms (340). 9 are the wheelchair accessible cabins. The largest aboard Balmoral are the Premier Suites (430 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Dining on Balmoral is resolutely classic. The vessel's one main dining venue and two satellites all offer set-seating, set-tablemates evening scenarios.
Follows the complete list of Balmoral restaurants and food bars.
- Ballindalloch Restaurant (main dining room; hosts the formal Gala Dinner; dining times are the same in all 3 dining rooms – with 2 fixed dinner seatings at 6:15 pm and 8:30 pm, open-seating buffet-style Breakfast 8:00 - 10:00 am and Lunch 12:00 - 2:30 pm)
- Spey Restaurant (ship’s 2nd largest dining room, with the same menu as the Ballindalloch’s; features floor-ceiling windows and intimate design)
- Avon Restaurant (ship’s 3rd dining room with floor-ceiling windows; offers the same menu as the other two restaurants)
- Palms Cafe (alternative buffet-style restaurant, open-seating; offers Breakfast 7:00 - 9:30 am, Brunch 10:30 - 11:30 am, Lunch 12:30 - 2:30 pm, Afternoon Tea 3:30 - 4:30 pm, Dinner 6:30 - 9 pm and Supper Club 11:30 pm - 12:30 am; also features a 24-hour open tea-coffee station)
- Marquee Bar (casual restaurant for lunch; al-fresco dining, with large, floor-ceiling panoramic windows; serves the pool area with alcoholic/non-alcoholic drinks).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
MS Balmoral offers a variety of amenities while also presenting a cosy ambience. There are lots of places to sit, relax, read and nap without feeling pressure to buy drinks or merchandise. Some aspects of the cruise ship, such as the inflexible bed setups (that offer either a double or 2 twins that can not be converted into the reverse), found in older rooms, might feel a bit dated. Balmoral also features a high-tech, in-cabin interactive TV, and Spa and fitness amenities with state-of-the-art equipment and services.
Follows the complete list of Balmoral lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Arts & Crafts Room; Art Gallery
- Atrium (2-deck high, with glass and chrome design elements; has a spacious seating area)
- Port Shop (duty-paid, sells essentials, hats, swimwear, toiletries, beachwear, sweets, books, snacks)
- Photo Gallery & Shop (offers digital images printing/transferring; personal video making; sells photo and video equipment at duty-free prices)
- Neptune Lounge (ship’s theater & main entertainment venue for grand-style show productions in the evenings at 8:45 pm and 10:45 pm; during the day serves the Fred Olsen enrichment program, with various lectures and seminars, multimedia presentations, dance classes, workshops, bridge lectures, cards playing tournaments)
- Boutique Shops (duty-free luxury gifts, perfumes, cosmetics, fashion clothing, watches, fine jewelry, Fred Olsen logo merchandise)
- Card Room; Library; Internet Room
- Bookmark Cafe (a la carte priced patisserie; offers luxury chocolates, specialty coffees, hand-made chocolates); Cafe Venus
- Braemar Lounge (relaxation place with large windows)
- Morning Light Pub (features stand-up comedy acts, live music performances)
- Deck 7 pool area (swimming pool, 2 whirlpools, sunbathing area)
- Lido Lounge (hosts daily bingo games and trivia quizzes; evening entertainment includes cabarets, resident music trio and Big Band Show)
- Lido Bar (live-music program)
- Casino corner
- The Wellness Centre (Atlantis Spa & Fitness; has treatment rooms for massages, Sauna, gym; the Fitness Centre hosts exercise classes Yoga/Pilates/aerobics/meditation/dancing classes)
- Beauty Salon (part of the Wellness Centre; offers hairdresser/barber services, facial/body treatments, manicure/pedicure, massages)
- Observatory Lounge (indoor observation lounge with piano, glass dancefloor, panoramic windows for 270-degree views; serves Afternoon Tea and transforms into a disco in the late hours)
- Sun Deck’s pool area (with one heated swimming pool, 2 whirlpools, sunbathing area)
- Golf Net; Deck Games area (shuffleboard, quoits).
- Launched as "Crown Odyssey" in 1988, Balmoral cruise ship was constructed originally for the Royal Cruise Line and operated by NCL Norwegian Cruise Lines and Orient Lines before being bought (2007) by the Fred Olsen. After a major refit (during which a 30 m / 99 ft long midship section was added to the vessel's center) in January 2008 mv Balmoral joined Boudicca, Braemar and Black Watch as the fleet's largest ship. The inaugural cruise started on Feb 13, 2008. Currently, Balmoral is the largest ship operated by Fred Olsen.
- An interesting fact about MS Balmoral is that in 2012 "Miles Morgan Travel" chartered the cruise ship to follow the RMS Titanic original route honoring the 100th anniversary of Titanic's sinking. Balmoral stated her "Titanic Cruise" on April 8 departing Southampton with last stop – the site of the wreck of the famous (infamous) ocean liner.
- On December 9, 2014, the ship went into dry dock for a 10-days refurbishment including engineering works, interior and exterior painting. The Library area was reconfigured, a new patisserie (Cafe Venus) was installed on Lounge Deck 7.
- Balmoral cruises attract a loyal base of mature passengers (almost all British), who prefer to travel only with the Fred Olsen company. The ship has some single occupancy cruise cabins and offers regular meetings for solo travelers. Dance hosts are available. This is the ideal UK cruise ship for people who travel alone. Throughout the voyage, guests will find ballroom dance classes and a program of exercise, plus the first jazz dance classes at sea.
- Fred Olsen also offers an all-inclusive cruise package upgrade (additional fixed price PP per day) and UK fly-cruise deals to Canary Islands (year-round discounted airfare from Southampton, England).
- In 2018-2019, MS Balmoral offers roundtrip departures out of Edinburgh (Rosyth) Scotland for the first time ever. There were a total of 9 cruises scheduled (May through July), including 5-night Norwegian Fjords, 14-night Scandinavia and Russia (St Petersburg), 9-night "German Waterways".
In 2017, Fred Olsen (for the first time ever) scheduled "Mardi Gras Cruise" combining Caribbean, North and Central America and leaving roundtrip from UK (Southampton). The voyage was on fleet's flagship Balmoral. The adults-only cruise had 18 ports of call and 3 full days plus 2 overnights in New Orleans for the fun and festivities at the annual Mardi Gras Carnival.
- This unique themed cruise (46-night itinerary, code L1703 , theme "Central America and the Mardi Gras" left Southampton on February 4, 2017. Prices started from GBP 3450 pp (based on double-occupancy twin-bed Superior Interior cabin). Pricing included accommodation, all onboard meals and entertainment, plus port taxes.
- The list of cruise ports of call included: Southampton – Funchal Madeira – Bridgetown Barbados – Castries St. Lucia – St John’s Antigua – Road Town Tortola BVI – Falmouth Jamaica – Trujillo Honduras – Belize City – Cozumel Mexico – New Orleans LA (2-nights) – Tampa FL – Key West FL – Miami FL – Port Canaveral FL – Jacksonville FL – Charleston SC – Hamilton Bermuda – Ponta Delgada Azores – Southampton.
- The 2-night stay in NOLA allowed cruise tourists to enjoy the festivities at this extravagant festival. Passengers were also provided with the opportunity to attend the "Orpheuscapade Black Tie Ball" in New Orleans – something rarely experienced by tourists. This formal event was held in the city's Convention Centre, featuring live music, dancing and the chance to get up close to the gigantic carnival floats, as a local celebrity leads the parade directly through the Centre.
Balmoral - user reviews and comments
Photos of BalmoralAdd Photo
Balmoral ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Fred Olsen introduced its inaugural 34-night ‘American Waterways in the Fall with New York’ cruise onboard ms Balmoral in September 2020...November 11, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Holidaymakers who are looking to explore Iceland and Greenland can now benefit from Fred Olsen's free door-to-door transfers up to 90 miles on 5...August 17, 2018
- Cruise Industry
The flagship of Fred Olsen Cruise Lines, Balmoral, commenced her inaugural cruise season from Edinburgh (Rosyth) on May 16, 2018, on a 10-night...May 23, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Fred Olsen commenced its 2018-2019 cruise seasons from Newcastle and Liverpool on Thursday, April 26, 2018. The 1,350-passenger flagship mv Balmoral...April 27, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Rouen’s season started in the middle of January with a visit by the Fred Olsen Cruise Line's ship mv Balmoral and continues through...February 26, 2018
A norovirus outbreak has been confirmed onboard mv Balmoral, affecting passengers on the 34-night "Old England to New England" cruise, which left...May 3, 2016
- show more news
Other Fred Olsen cruise ships
The below listed Balmoral cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Fred Olsen fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 Oct 29||14 days, round-trip Islands of the Canaries||Southampton|
|2018 Nov 12||12 days, round-trip Mystery Cruise||Southampton|
|2018 Nov 24||14 days, round-trip Landscapes of the Canaries & Morocco||Southampton|
|2018 Dec 08||5 days, round-trip Into the Heart of Amsterdam & Antwerp||Southampton|
|2018 Dec 13||8 days, round-trip Christmas Markets of Germany & Denmark||Southampton|
|2018 Dec 21||15 days, round-trip Canaries Christmas & Funchal Fireworks||Southampton|
|2019 Jan 05||14 days, round-trip Canary Islands & Madeira Winter Warmth||Southampton|
|2019 Jan 19||62 days, round-trip California, Mexico & The Panama Canal||Southampton|
|2019 Mar 22||11 days, round-trip Spain, Portugal & Madeira||Southampton|
|2019 Apr 02||17 days, round-trip Islands of the Mediterranean||Southampton|
|2019 Apr 21||8 days, round-trip Cruising German Waterways||Newcastle|
|2019 Apr 29||10 days, round-trip Sweden’s Scenic Waterways & Cities||Newcastle|
|2019 May 09||14 days, round-trip Capital Cities of the Baltic||Newcastle|
|2019 May 23||5 days, round-trip The Norwegian Fjords in Five||Newcastle|
|2019 May 28||7 days, round-trip The Best of the Fjords in Seven||Newcastle|
|2019 Jun 04||1 day, one-way from Newcastle to Leith-Edinburgh||Newcastle|
|2019 Jun 05||10 days, round-trip Sweden’s Scenic Waterways & Cities||Leith-Edinburgh|
|2019 Jun 15||8 days, round-trip French River Cruising with Antwerp||Leith-Edinburgh|
|2019 Jun 23||7 days, round-trip The Best of the Fjords in Seven||Leith-Edinburgh|
|2019 Jun 30||11 days, round-trip Exploring the Natural Wonders of Iceland||Leith-Edinburgh|
|2019 Jul 11||14 days, round-trip Capital Cities of the Baltic||Leith-Edinburgh|
|2019 Jul 25||7 days, round-trip The Best of the Fjords in Seven||Leith-Edinburgh|
|2019 Aug 01||5 days, round-trip Isles of Scotland in Fives||Leith-Edinburgh|
|2019 Aug 06||1 day, one-way from Leith-Edinburgh to Newcastle||Leith-Edinburgh|
|2019 Aug 07||9 days, round-trip Cruising European Rivers & Canals||Newcastle|
|2019 Aug 16||7 days, round-trip The Villages, Towns & Fjords of Norway||Newcastle|
|2019 Aug 23||5 days, round-trip The Norwegian Fjords in Five||Newcastle|
|2019 Aug 28||11 days, round-trip France, Spain & Portugal||Newcastle|
|2019 Sep 08||8 days, round-trip Welcome to Scandinavia||Newcastle|
|2019 Sep 16||11 days, round-trip Mystery Cruise||Newcastle|
|2019 Sep 27||9 days, round-trip Cruising German Waterways||Newcastle|
|2019 Oct 06||12 days, round-trip Uncrowded Baltic||Newcastle|
|2019 Oct 19||5 days, round-trip French River Cruising in Five||Dover|
|2019 Oct 24||15 days, round-trip Spanish City Discovery||Southampton|
|2019 Nov 08||7 days, round-trip Waterways of Holland & Belgium||Southampton|
|2019 Nov 15||14 days, round-trip The Warmth of the Canary Islands||Southampton|
|2019 Nov 29||9 days, round-trip Christmas Markets||Southampton|
|2019 Dec 20||2 days, round-trip French Escapade||Southampton|
|2019 Dec 22||15 days, round-trip Canaries Christmas & Funchal Fireworks||Southampton|
|2020 Jan 06||70 days, round-trip South American Exploration||Southampton|
|2020 Mar 18||11 days, round-trip Wintertime Norway||Newcastle|
|2020 Mar 29||16 days, round-trip Four Fred's in Funchal with the Canaries||Newcastle|
|2020 Sep 29||34 days, round-trip North American Waterways in the fall, with New York||Southampton|