Norwegian Cruise Line
Specifications of Norwegian Prima
|Year built||2022 new ship|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Marghera, Italy)|
|Class||Prima (fka Leonardo)|
|Building cost||EUR 730 million (USD 850 million)|
|Owner||(NCLH) Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd|
|Operator||(NCL) Norwegian Cruise Line|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||294 m / 965 ft|
|Beam (width)||41 m / 135 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||142500 gt|
|Passengers||3215 - 3950|
|Decks with cabins||9|
Norwegian Prima Itineraries
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2022 Aug 17||8 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Reykjavik||Amsterdam||$3949|
|2022 Sep 03||10 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Copenhagen||Amsterdam||$2429|
|2022 Sep 13||10 days, one-way from Copenhagen to Southampton||Copenhagen||$2649|
|2022 Sep 23||12 days, one-way from Southampton to New York||Southampton||$3899|
|2022 Oct 10||5 days, round-trip Bermuda Virginia Beach||New York||$879|
|2022 Oct 15||12 days, one-way from New York to Galveston||New York||$1779|
|2022 Oct 31||11 days, one-way from Galveston to Miami||Galveston||$1999|
|2022 Nov 19||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Harvest Caye, Cozumel Roatan||Miami||$1119|
|2022 Nov 26||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Harvest Caye, Cozumel Roatan||Miami||$1019|
|2022 Dec 03||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Harvest Caye, Cozumel Roatan||Miami||$1149|
|2022 Dec 11||5 days, round-trip Caribbean Cozumel Costa Maya||Port Canaveral||$799|
|2022 Dec 16||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Port Canaveral||$1199|
|2022 Dec 23||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Port Canaveral||$1649|
|2023 Jan 08||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Port Canaveral||$979|
|2023 Jan 15||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Port Canaveral||$979|
|2023 Jan 22||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Port Canaveral||$979|
|2023 Jan 29||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Port Canaveral||$979|
|2023 Feb 05||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Port Canaveral||$979|
|2023 Feb 12||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Port Canaveral||$1079|
|2023 Feb 19||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Port Canaveral||$1099|
|2023 Feb 26||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Port Canaveral||$1049|
|2023 Mar 05||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Port Canaveral||$1049|
|2023 Mar 12||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Port Canaveral||$1199|
|2023 Mar 19||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Port Canaveral||$1199|
|2023 Mar 28||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$799|
|2023 Apr 02||7 days, round-trip Bermuda Virginia Beach||New York||$1241|
|2023 Apr 09||7 days, round-trip Bermuda Virginia Beach||New York||$1299|
|2023 Apr 16||7 days, round-trip Bermuda Virginia Beach||New York||$1091|
|2023 Apr 23||7 days, round-trip Bermuda Virginia Beach||New York||$1091|
|2023 Apr 30||7 days, round-trip Bermuda Virginia Beach||New York||$1091|
|2023 May 07||7 days, round-trip Bermuda Virginia Beach||New York||$1143|
|2023 May 14||11 days, one-way from New York to Reykjavik||New York||$1689|
|2023 May 25||10 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Southampton||Reykjavik||$2105|
|2023 Jun 04||11 days, one-way from Southampton to Reykjavik||Southampton||$2222|
|2023 Jun 15||10 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Southampton||Reykjavik||$2047|
|2023 Jun 25||11 days, one-way from Southampton to Reykjavik||Southampton||$2248|
|2023 Jul 06||10 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Southampton||Reykjavik||$2164|
|2023 Jul 16||11 days, one-way from Southampton to Reykjavik||Southampton||$2268|
|2023 Jul 27||10 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Southampton||Reykjavik||$2047|
|2023 Aug 06||11 days, one-way from Southampton to Reykjavik||Southampton||$2183|
|2023 Aug 17||10 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Southampton||Reykjavik||$2138|
|2023 Aug 27||11 days, one-way from Southampton to Reykjavik||Southampton||$2170|
|2023 Sep 07||10 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Southampton||Reykjavik||$2099|
|2023 Sep 17||14 days, round-trip Iceland Reykjavik, Dublin Belfast||Southampton||$3093|
|2023 Dec 15||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Harvest Caye, Cozumel Roatan||Galveston||$1091|
|2023 Dec 22||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Harvest Caye, Cozumel Roatan||Galveston||$1546|
|2023 Dec 30||9 days, round-trip Caribbean Cozumel, Jamaica Grand Cayman||Port Canaveral||$2169|
|2024 Jan 05||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Harvest Caye, Cozumel Roatan||Galveston||$948|
|2024 Jan 12||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Harvest Caye, Cozumel Roatan||Galveston||$948|
|2024 Jan 19||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Harvest Caye, Cozumel Roatan||Galveston||$948|
|2024 Jan 26||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Harvest Caye, Cozumel Roatan||Galveston||$948|
|2024 Feb 02||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Harvest Caye, Cozumel Roatan||Galveston||$948|
|2024 Feb 09||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Harvest Caye, Cozumel Roatan||Galveston||$948|
|2024 Feb 16||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Harvest Caye, Cozumel Roatan||Galveston||$1091|
|2024 Feb 23||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Harvest Caye, Cozumel Roatan||Galveston||$994|
|2024 Mar 01||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Harvest Caye, Cozumel Roatan||Galveston||$994|
|2024 Mar 08||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Harvest Caye, Cozumel Roatan||Galveston||$1046|
|2024 Mar 15||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Harvest Caye, Cozumel Roatan||Galveston||$1202|
|2024 Mar 22||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Harvest Caye, Cozumel Roatan||Galveston||$1202|
|2024 Mar 29||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Harvest Caye, Cozumel Roatan||Galveston||$1202|
Norwegian Prima Review
Review of Norwegian Prima
The 2022-built Norwegian Prima cruise ship (currently under construction in Italy) is the first of all six PRIMA-Class NCL ships, scheduled for deliveries by Fincantieri in the period 2022-2027 (one per year). All these liners are preceded by NCL's Breakaway Plus-Class/bigger boats Encore (2019), Bliss (2018), Joy (2017), and Escape (2015), all of which were built by Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany).
The design is based on 20 decks, 1646 staterooms, GT tonnage 142500 tons, passenger capacity 3215 (double occupancy), 16 elevators (passenger lifts, including 2 dedicated to The Haven complex). NCL Prima's hull artwork was designed by Manuel Di Rita (aka Peeta/Italian graffiti artist).
History - construction and ownership
Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) is a subsidiary company of the shipping corporation Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NCLH). NCL was founded in 1966, headquartered in Miami (Florida USA) and publicly traded (NASDAQ) company listed on NYSE (NYC). NCLH's major shareholders are the corporations Apollo Global Management (American), Genting Group (Malaysian) and TPG Capital (American). In 2017, the brand NCL had a worldwide cruise market share 8,7% (passengers) and 8,4% (revenue). NCLH (shipowner) owns the brands NCL, Oceania, and RSSC-Regent.
Decks and Cabins
Norwegian Prima staterooms (1646 total) are in 35 grades and 7 types - The Haven Suites, Suites, Club Balcony Suites (Mini-Suites), Balcony-Oceanview- Interior staterooms, and Studios (single-occupancy Interior cabins / no single supplement is required). The PRIMA design boasts 18x Suite categories (including the fleet's first 3-bedroom suites) and the NCL's biggest-ever Inside-, Oceanview- and Balcony staterooms.
The ship has a total of 41 handicap staterooms (ADA-certified, wheelchair-accessible cabins) in the following categories/types: HB-Haven Aft Penthouse (1), BA-BB-BF-Balcony (16), O4-Oceanview (7), IA-IB-IF-Inside (17). "Guaranteed" cabin categories are MX-Club Balcony Suite, BX-Balcony, OX-Oceanview, IX-Inside.
The smallest category is T1-Studio (95 ft2 / 9 m2). Inside cabins are sized 160-255 ft2 (15-24 m2). Oceanview cabins are with a Large Round Window and in types Standard (185 ft2 / 17 m2), Large (235 ft2 / 22 m2) and Family (235-370 ft2 / 22-34 m2). Balcony cabins vary in sizes between 230-270-360 ft2 (21-25-34 m2), with step-out balconies sized between 45-70-100 ft2 (4-7-9 m2). The largest accommodation is The Haven Premier Owner's Suite (capacity 8 passengers) sized 2100 ft2 (195 m2) and with a wraparound terrace sized 830 ft2 (77 m2).
The boat has 20 decks, of which 16 are passenger-accessible and 9 with cabins.
Shipboard facilities and amenities
Next YouTube video is NCL's official release that includes renderings of the new-class cruiser.
NCL's PRIMA-class ship design is focused on more and larger public spaces (indoor and outdoor), smaller passenger capacity (in comparison to the preceding designs), exceptional experiences (new dining and entertainment options), higher service levels.
The Waterfront found on other vessels has been reimagined by doubling the space on the Ocean Boulevard - a 360-degree Promenade (walkaround complex sized 44000 ft2 / 4090 m2)) that wraps around the entire deck 8, offers unobstructed ocean views, and houses multiple spaces.
- The aft-located "Indulge Food Hall" (with a Firepit) is an open-air Marketplace that houses various eateries (with indoor/outdoor seating), Indulge Outdoor Lounge, Sun Bar, a seating area serving Starbucks coffee.
- "Los Lobos Cantina" is new for NCL dining concept. Los Lobos is a la carte-priced restaurant that has both indoor and outdoor seating and offers traditional Mexican cuisine specialties. The menu includes tableside-made guacamole, fresh-baked corn tortillas, Tacos Al Pastor (with marinated pork, similar to doner kebabs/gyros), Chicken Enchiladas de Mole, handcrafted cocktails.
- "Onda by Scarpetta" is an Italian specialty restaurant (reservations-only, cover charge, kids charged a full cover) with both indoor and outdoor seating. The Onda restaurant is open between 5:30-9:30 pm and has large tables. The liner's Italian dining experience is marked by a casual atmosphere and large portions (perfect for family dinners) and traditional fine Italian wines and gourmet cuisine specialties - including oven-baked pizzas, homemade daily pasta, top-quality seafood, classic salads, freshly-baked bread, gourmet desserts (including gelato ice cream). Onda by Scarpetta features an outdoor terrace (Waterfront seating area).
- "Coco's" (patisserie shop) serves artisan sweet treats.
- "Seaside Rotisserie" offers a variety of grilled and spit-roasted meat dishes.
- "Nudls" is a food bar offering noodle dishes and global street food.
- "Tamara" serves classic Indian dishes along with multiple vegetarian options.
- "Tapas Food Truck" offers Spanish-inspired street food.
- "Q Texas Smokehouse" offers Southern USA comfort food and barbecue dishes.
- "The Local Bar & Grill" provides a beach club experience and serves classic American cuisine and premium cocktails.
- "Garden Kitchen" offers customized salads with 12+ ingredients to choose from.
- "The Concourse" is an outdoor sculpture garden (located midship-starboard) featuring an art wall designed by David Harber (who specializes in outdoor sculptures, sundials and water features) and 6 installations by Alexander Krivosheiw (specializing in bronze and aluminum sculptures). The cruise ship's 7 sculptures are valued at USD 2+ million (~EUR 1,7M).
- "La Terraza" is an open-air Promenade lounge featuring a quaint retreat with forward-facing sea views.
- "Infinity Beach" (sundeck) has 2 infinity swimming pools (at the edge of the deck / aft-midship) and two Oceanwalks (glass-bottom bridges / midship) - a first feature for the NCL brand.
Other culinary choices on the cruise ship include "The Latin Quarter" (classic Latin food with a twist), "Just Desserts" (including pies and cakes), "Just Ice Cream".
"The Haven by Norwegian" on Prima spans 8 decks (suites, public areas, exclusive venues) in the aft of the liner. NCL's luxury ship-within-a-ship exclusive/keycard-access-only area has 107x Haven Suites (aft-positioned) and 2x private elevators - exclusively for Haven passengers. The aft lifts rise into The Haven's public areas and interconnect decks 6 through 18. For the first time, every public area offers sea views from floor-ceiling windows. The Haven Sundeck is an exclusive sunbathing area with plenty of padded sun loungers and deckchairs and is located aft on decks 16-17.
- Deck 16's Sundeck has an infinity pool at the stern (swimming pool overlooking the ship's wake), an outdoor Spa (featuring a glass-walled Sauna Room and Cold Room), Concierge Desk, Haven Outdoor Restaurant, Haven Outdoor Lounge & Bar (offering a limited buffet for breakfast and lunch, with traditional Chinese and Western cuisine specialties).
- Deck 17's Haven Sundeck has two Jacuzzis (outdoor whirlpool hot tubs) and outdoor Showers.
- Deck 18's Haven Sundeck has an infinity pool (with a stern-facing glass wall) and a large sunbathing area with padded loungers and Showers.
- 24-hour butler service is provided complimentary.
The Aqua Park (3-decks high) has 2x swimming pools, 5x multi-level waterslides (Ocean Loop), 2x racing-slides (The Rush), 1x freefall dry slide (The Drop), "Tidal Wave" waterslide (fleet's first to allow innertube surfing), 4x Jacuzzies (2x infinity pools/hot tubs), poolside bar, sundeck/sunbathing area.
Vibe Beach Club is an adults-only relaxation area (surcharges per day apply) with cantilevered whirlpools (2x infinity spa pools/hot tubs), an outdoor pool bar, sunbathing area (with loungers and luxury chaise lounge chairs), private cabanas.
Syd Norman's Pour House (debuted on Norwegian Breakaway in 2018) is a rock-and-roll-themed bar lounge with live band music (all-time-greatest songs).
At the Headliners Comedy Club & Lounge are presented the shows “The Second City” (comedy), “Howl At The Moon” (piano), "The Improv at Sea" (standup performances), "Science of Comedy" (intellectual).
The Sensoria Theatre Lounge spans 3 decks (6-7-8) and features a large stage (for live performances), a huge dance floor, customizable seating, a large LED moving screen lowering down from the ceiling (sized nearly half the Theatre's size), UHD media, surround sound, special visual effects. In the evenings, Sensoria transforms into a Vegas-style disco nightclub with live DJ programming and high-energy music. Daily at Sensoria Theatre are held enrichment lectures, bingo, trivia games with prizes.
- Exclusively for NCL Prima was developed the interactive "Summer: The Donna Summer Musical" themed on the American singer and actress Donna Summer (born as LaDonna Adrian Gaines/1948-2012). The 75-minute show features 20+ of her hits including "Heaven Knows" (1978), "Last Dance" (1978, from the "Thank God It's Friday" film's soundtrack), "Hot Stuff" (1979), "Bad Girls" (1979), "Dim All the Lights" (1979).
- Sensoria Theatre also houses the NCL's series of interactive game shows "LIVE on NCL", featuring grand prizes and themed "The Price is Right", "Supermarket Sweep", "Press Your Luck", "Beat the Clock".
- Norwegian Prima's interactive show productions are the first at sea when the ship's Theater transforms into a nightclub and all guests participate in the show. The shows were developed via partnership with Fremantle (fka FremantleMedia, British/London-based TV production and distribution company, subsidiary of the RTL Group/Luxembourg-based media broadcasting corporation).
Like all NCL boats from the Breakaway and Breakaway Plus series, Prima has the "Prima Speedway" (fleet's largest racetrack), "The Rush" (2-tube/dueling dry slides) and "The Drop" (world's first freefall dry slide).
"Prima Speedway" is NCL fleet's first racetrack on 3 levels/decks (the old racetracks are 2-level), with a longer straightaway/straight section, 14 turns and total length 420 m (1378 ft), which is ~1/5th larger than the racetrack on Norwegian Encore (fleet's previous largest). The racetrack goes around and through the funnel/smokestack, max capacity 15 cars (racing simultaneously) and allows max speeds 50+ kph (30+ mph). The unique sports facility is served by the Speedway Bar (located beneath the racetrack).
The "Galaxy Pavilion" is an indoor complex for virtual-world and multi-player gaming, equipped with interactive video walls and virtual reality technology.
- On NCL Prima ship the complex has 14 total attractions, including 4x new simulators and 2x Escape Rooms.
- Also new is the Topgolf Swing Suite (fleet's first golfing venue to deliver "social experiences") fitted with Topgolf's games (virtual golf courses, multi-player gaming) and powered by Full Swing Golf (the same simulation technology used by PGA Tour professionals).
- "The Bull's Eye" is a new competitive gaming experience (based on the classic darts game) featuring a video tracking system that automatically calculates each gamer's score and offers instant replays.
- On Prima, NCL introduces "Tee Time" (interactive minigolfing) where gamers can play on a 9-hole Mini-Golf Course.
Note: More amenities planned for the new ship are to be announced in the following months.
NCL Prima ship's Inaugural Cruise is currently scheduled to start on August 17, 2022. The inaugural season (August 17 through September 13, 2022) includes 10-day Baltic itineraries leaving from Amsterdam Holland and Copenhagen Denmark and visiting ports in Northern Europe (including Norway's Fjords).
- On September 22, 2022, departs the 12-day Transatlantic crossing from Southampton to NYC New York, with call ports in Scotland (Lerwick), Iceland (Reykjavik), and Nova Scotia Canada (Halifax).
- On October 10, 2022, starts a 5-day NYC to Bermuda voyage.
- On October 15, 2022, starts the 12-day repositioning voyage from NYC to Galveston Texas (first-ever time for NCL), visiting the Caribbean's ABC islands (Curacao-Willemstad, Bonaire-Kralendijk, Aruba-Oranjestad).
- On October 30, 2022, starts the 11-day relocation voyage from Galveston to PortMiami, visiting Curacao, Bonaire, Bahamas (Great Stirrup Cay, NCL's private island).
Between December 11, 2022, and March 19, 2023, the liner cruises from Port Canaveral with 5-7-9-day roundtrips to Western Caribbean ports (Cozumel Mexico, Ocho Rios Jamaica, Grand Cayman Island, Great Stirrup Cay). Then the ship will be homeported in NYC (March through May 2023) for 5-7-day Bermuda cruises.
- Then NCL Prima ship sails back to the USA for Bermuda and Caribbean cruises. From November 19 through December 3, 2023, Norwegian Prima cruises from PortMiami offering three 7-day Western Caribbean voyages to Harvest Caye Belize (NCL's private island), Cozumel Mexico, Roatan Island Honduras.
- Following a Transatlantic crossing starts the European deployment (through September 7, 2023) with scheduled 10-11-day "Norway and Iceland" itineraries leaving out of Reykjavik Iceland and Southampton England UK.
- Bookings opened on May 12, 2021. On May 17, NCL bragged that (by first-day bookings and week of sales) Prima has become the brand's most popular ship ever.
In September 2021 NCL announced that for season 2023-2024 Prima will be homeported in Galveston Texas. The 7-day Western Caribbean roundtrips visit Mexico (Cozumel, Costa Maya), Belize (Harvest Caye) and Honduras (Isla Roatan/Mahogany Bay), with call port stays between 8-9 hours.
Norwegian Prima - user reviews and comments
Photos of Norwegian PrimaAdd Photo
Norwegian Prima ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line restarted voyages on November 13, 2021, aboard Norwegian Escape from Port Canaveral (Orlando, Florida) to the Eastern...November 16, 2021
- Cruise Industry
NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line unveiled its upcoming entertainment and fun experiences on Norwegian Prima. The vessel is the first of six Prima-Class...September 22, 2021
- Cruise Industry
Norwegian Prima, the first of 6 ships of NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line’s new Prima Class, was floated out at the Fincantieri shipyard in Marghera...August 13, 2021
- Cruise Industry
NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line is once again breaking the boundaries of cruise vacation experiences via the reveal of its Norwegian Prima, which became...May 19, 2021
- Cruise Industry
NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line revealed more details on its newest ship (scheduled for delivery by Fincantieri in summer 2022) Norwegian Prima. NCL Prima...May 13, 2021
- Cruise Industry
NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line named its newest ship (scheduled for delivery by Fincantieri in summer 2022) Norwegian Prima. NCL Prima will be the...May 10, 2021
- show more news
Other Norwegian Cruise Line cruise ships
Norwegian Prima Wiki
On February 16, 2017, the shipowner NCLH (Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd) signed with Fincantieri an order for 4x LEONARDO Class (renamed to "PRIMA" in 2021) units for the NCL brand.
- The newbuilds were scheduled for deliveries in 2022 through 2025 (one ship per year), with an option for two more units to be added to the order in the future. On July 12, 2018, NCLH ordered two more LEONARDO-Class ships, which are currently scheduled for deliveries in 2026 and 2027.
- The NCLH-Fincantieri deal was backed by CDP (Cassa Depositi e Prestiti SpA/1850-founded, Turino-based Italian investment bank) and SACE SpA (Servizi Assicurativi del Commercio Estero/1977-founded Italian Export Credit Agency).
- All shipbuilding orders were signed by Frank Del Rio (NCLH's President and CEO) and Giuseppe Bono (Fincantieri SpA's CEO).
The Norwegian Prima vessel (Fincantieri Marghera yard/hull number 6298) is scheduled for delivery to NCLH (shipowner) on June 30, 2022.
The ship was launched (floated out from drydock at Marghera yard/near Venice Italy) on August 13, 2021. The float-out ceremony was attended by Harry Sommer (NCL's President and CEO) and Luigi Matarazzo (Fincantieri's Merchant Ships Division's General Manager).
Prima is the first of all six PRIMA-class (fka LEONARDO) units ordered by NCLH for its subsidiary NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line. The deliveries of all PRIMA-class units are planned for 2022 through 2027 (one vessel per year).
Norwegian Prima User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review