Norwegian Cruise Line
Specifications of Norwegian Prima
|Year built||2022 new ship|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Marghera, Italy)|
|Class||Prima (fka Leonardo)|
|Building cost||EUR 730 million (USD 850 million)|
|Owner||(NCLH) Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd|
|Operator||(NCL) Norwegian Cruise Line|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||294 m / 965 ft|
|Beam (width)||41 m / 135 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||142500 gt|
|Passengers||3215 - 3950|
|Decks with cabins||9|
Norwegian Prima Itineraries
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2022 Aug 17||8 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Reykjavik||Amsterdam||$1826|
|2022 Sep 03||10 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Copenhagen||Amsterdam||$2022|
|2022 Sep 13||10 days, one-way from Copenhagen to Southampton||Copenhagen||$2022|
|2022 Sep 23||12 days, one-way from Southampton to New York||Southampton||$1749|
|2022 Oct 10||5 days, round-trip Bermuda Atlantic Coast New York||New York||$776|
|2022 Oct 15||12 days, one-way from New York to Galveston||New York||$1602|
|2022 Oct 31||11 days, one-way from Galveston to Miami||Galveston||$1546|
|2022 Nov 19||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Harvest Caye, Cozumel Roatan||Miami||$1049|
|2022 Nov 26||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Harvest Caye, Cozumel Roatan||Miami||$902|
|2022 Dec 03||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Harvest Caye, Cozumel Roatan||Miami||$902|
|2022 Dec 11||5 days, round-trip Caribbean Cozumel Costa Maya||Port Canaveral||$797|
|2022 Dec 16||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Port Canaveral||$1028|
|2022 Dec 23||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Port Canaveral||$1595|
|2023 Jan 08||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Port Canaveral||$951|
|2023 Jan 15||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Port Canaveral||$951|
|2023 Jan 22||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Port Canaveral||$951|
|2023 Jan 29||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Port Canaveral||$951|
|2023 Feb 05||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Port Canaveral||$951|
|2023 Feb 12||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Port Canaveral||$951|
|2023 Feb 19||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Port Canaveral||$1098|
|2023 Feb 26||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Port Canaveral||$1000|
|2023 Mar 05||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Port Canaveral||$1049|
|2023 Mar 12||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Port Canaveral||$1203|
|2023 Mar 19||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Port Canaveral||$1203|
|2023 Mar 28||5 days, round-trip Bermuda New York||New York||$804|
|2023 Apr 02||7 days, round-trip Bermuda New York||New York||$1273|
|2023 Apr 09||7 days, round-trip Bermuda New York||New York||$1329|
|2023 Apr 16||7 days, round-trip Bermuda New York||New York||$1098|
|2023 Apr 23||7 days, round-trip Bermuda New York||New York||$1098|
|2023 Apr 30||7 days, round-trip Bermuda New York||New York||$1098|
|2023 May 07||7 days, round-trip Bermuda New York||New York||$1098|
|2023 May 14||11 days, one-way from New York to Reykjavik||New York||$1546|
|2023 May 25||10 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Southampton||Reykjavik||$2001|
|2023 Jun 04||11 days, one-way from Southampton to Reykjavik||Southampton||$2148|
|2023 Jun 15||10 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Southampton||Reykjavik||$2050|
|2023 Jun 25||11 days, one-way from Southampton to Reykjavik||Southampton||$2253|
|2023 Jul 06||10 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Southampton||Reykjavik||$2078|
|2023 Jul 16||11 days, one-way from Southampton to Reykjavik||Southampton||$2246|
|2023 Jul 27||10 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Southampton||Reykjavik||$2050|
|2023 Aug 06||11 days, one-way from Southampton to Reykjavik||Southampton||$2148|
|2023 Aug 17||10 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Southampton||Reykjavik||$1903|
|2023 Aug 27||11 days, one-way from Southampton to Reykjavik||Southampton||$2148|
|2023 Sep 07||10 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Southampton||Reykjavik||$1798|
|2023 Sep 17||14 days, round-trip Iceland Reykjavik, Dublin Belfast||Southampton||$2449|
|2023 Dec 30||9 days, round-trip Caribbean Cozumel, Jamaica Grand Cayman||Port Canaveral||$2148|
Norwegian Prima Review
Review of Norwegian Prima
The 2022-built Norwegian Prima cruise ship (currently under construction in Italy) is the first of all six PRIMA-Class NCL ships, scheduled for deliveries by Fincantieri in the period 2022-2027 (one per year). All these liners are preceded by NCL's Breakaway Plus-Class/bigger boats Encore (2019), Bliss (2018), Joy (2017), and Escape (2015), all of which were built by Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany).
Like the sisterships of the Prima-Class, the vessel Norwegian Prima (IMO number tba) will be Bahamas-flagged (MMSI tba) and registered in Nassau. Each unit's building cost is EUR 730 million (USD 850 million).
The design is based on 20 decks, 1646 staterooms, GT tonnage 142500 tons, passenger capacity 3215 (double occupancy), 16 elevators (passenger lifts, including 2 dedicated to The Haven complex). NCL Prima's hull artwork was designed by Manuel Di Rita (aka Peeta/Italian graffiti artist).
History - construction and ownership
Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) is a subsidiary company of the shipping corporation Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NCLH). NCL was founded in 1966, headquartered in Miami (Florida USA) and publicly traded (NASDAQ) company listed on NYSE (NYC). NCLH's major shareholders are the corporations Apollo Global Management (American), Genting Group (Malaysian) and TPG Capital (American). In 2017, the brand NCL had a worldwide cruise market share 8,7% (passengers) and 8,4% (revenue). NCLH (shipowner) owns the brands NCL, Oceania, and RSSC-Regent.
On February 16, 2017, the shipowner NCLH (Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd) signed with Fincantieri an order for 4x LEONARDO Class (renamed to "PRIMA" in 2021) units for the NCL brand.
- The newbuilds were scheduled for deliveries in 2022 through 2025 (one ship per year), with an option for two more units to be added to the order in the future. On July 12, 2018, NCLH ordered two more LEONARDO-Class ships, which are currently scheduled for deliveries in 2026 and 2027.
- The NCLH-Fincantieri deal was backed by CDP (Cassa Depositi e Prestiti SpA/1850-founded, Turino-based Italian investment bank) and SACE SpA (Servizi Assicurativi del Commercio Estero/1977-founded Italian Export Credit Agency).
- All shipbuilding orders were signed by Frank Del Rio (NCLH's President and CEO) and Giuseppe Bono (Fincantieri SpA's CEO).
NCL Prima ship's Inaugural Cruise is currently scheduled to start on August 17, 2022. The inaugural season (August 17 through September 13, 2022) includes 10-day Baltic itineraries leaving from Amsterdam Holland and Copenhagen Denmark and visiting ports in Northern Europe (including Norway's Fjords).
- On September 22, 2022, departs the 12-day Transatlantic crossing from Southampton to NYC New York, with call ports in Scotland (Lerwick), Iceland (Reykjavik), and Nova Scotia Canada (Halifax).
- On October 10, 2022, starts a 5-day NYC to Bermuda voyage.
- On October 15, 2022, starts the 12-day repositioning voyage from NYC to Galveston Texas (first-ever time for NCL), visiting the Caribbean's ABC islands (Curacao-Willemstad, Bonaire-Kralendijk, Aruba-Oranjestad).
- On October 30, 2022, starts the 11-day relocation voyage from Galveston to PortMiami, visiting Curacao, Bonaire, Bahamas (Great Stirrup Cay, NCL's private island).
Between December 11, 2022, and March 19, 2023, the liner cruises from Port Canaveral with 5-7-9-day roundtrips to Western Caribbean ports (Cozumel Mexico, Ocho Rios Jamaica, Grand Cayman Island, Great Stirrup Cay). Then the ship will be homeported in NYC (March through May 2023) for 5-7-day Bermuda cruises.
Then NCL Prima ship sails back to the USA for Bermuda and Caribbean cruises. From November 19 through December 3, 2023, Norwegian Prima cruises from PortMiami offering three 7-day Western Caribbean voyages to Harvest Caye Belize (NCL's private island), Cozumel Mexico and Roatan Island Honduras.
Following a Transatlantic crossing starts the European deployment (through September 7, 2023) with scheduled 10-11-day "Norway and Iceland" itineraries leaving out of Reykjavik Iceland and Southampton England UK.
Bookings opened on May 12, 2021. On May 17, NCL bragged that (by first-day bookings and week of sales) Prima has become the brand's most popular ship ever.
Decks and Cabins
Norwegian Prima staterooms (1646 total) are in 35 grades and 7 types - The Haven Suites, Suites, Club Balcony Suites (Mini-Suites), Balcony-Oceanview- Interior staterooms, and Studios (single-occupancy Interior cabins / no single supplement is required). The PRIMA design boasts 18x Suite categories (including the fleet's first 3-bedroom suites) and the NCL's biggest-ever Inside-, Oceanview- and Balcony staterooms.
The ship has a total of 41 handicap staterooms (ADA-certified, wheelchair-accessible cabins) in the following categories/types: HB-Haven Aft Penthouse (1), BA-BB-BF-Balcony (16), O4-Oceanview (7), IA-IB-IF-Inside (17). "Guaranteed" cabin categories are MX-Club Balcony Suite, BX-Balcony, OX-Oceanview, IX-Inside.
The smallest category is T1-Studio (95 ft2 / 9 m2). Inside cabins are sized 160-255 ft2 (15-24 m2). Oceanview cabins are with a Large Round Window and in types Standard (185 ft2 / 17 m2), Large (235 ft2 / 22 m2) and Family (235-370 ft2 / 22-34 m2). Balcony cabins vary in sizes between 230-270-360 ft2 (21-25-34 m2), with step-out balconies sized between 45-70-100 ft2 (4-7-9 m2). The largest accommodation is The Haven Premier Owner's Suite (capacity 8 passengers) sized 2100 ft2 (195 m2) and with a wraparound terrace sized 830 ft2 (77 m2).
The ship has 20 decks, of which 16 are passenger-accessible and 9 with cabins.
Shipboard facilities and amenities
Next YouTube video is NCL's official release that includes renderings of the new-class cruiser.
NCL's PRIMA-class ship design is focused on more and larger public spaces (indoor and outdoor), smaller passenger capacity (in comparison to the preceding designs), exceptional experiences (new dining and entertainment options), higher service levels.
The Waterfront found on other vessels has been reimagined by doubling the space on the Ocean Boulevard - a 360-degree Promenade (walkaround complex sized 44000 ft2 / 4090 m2)) that wraps around the entire deck 8, offers unobstructed ocean views, and houses multiple spaces.
- The aft-located "Indulge Food Hall" (with a Firepit) is an open-air Marketplace that houses various eateries (with indoor/outdoor seating), Indulge Outdoor Lounge, Sun Bar, a seating area serving Starbucks coffee.
- "Los Lobos Cantina" is new for NCL dining concept. Los Lobos is a la carte-priced restaurant that has both indoor and outdoor seating and offers traditional Mexican cuisine specialties. The menu includes tableside-made guacamole, fresh-baked corn tortillas, Tacos Al Pastor (with marinated pork, similar to doner kebabs/gyros), Chicken Enchiladas de Mole, handcrafted cocktails.
- "Onda by Scarpetta" is an Italian specialty restaurant (reservations-only, cover charge, kids charged a full cover) with both indoor and outdoor seating. The Onda restaurant is open between 5:30-9:30 pm and has large tables. The liner's Italian dining experience is marked by a casual atmosphere and large portions (perfect for family dinners) and traditional fine Italian wines and gourmet cuisine specialties - including oven-baked pizzas, homemade daily pasta, top-quality seafood, classic salads, freshly-baked bread, gourmet desserts (including gelato ice cream). Onda by Scarpetta features an outdoor terrace (Waterfront seating area).
- "Coco's" (patisserie shop) serves artisan sweet treats.
- "Seaside Rotisserie" offers a variety of grilled and spit-roasted meat dishes.
- "Nudls" is a food bar offering noodle dishes and global street food.
- "Tamara" serves classic Indian dishes along with multiple vegetarian options.
- "Tapas Food Truck" offers Spanish-inspired street food.
- "Q Texas Smokehouse" offers Southern USA comfort food and barbecue dishes.
- "The Local Bar & Grill" provides a beach club experience and serves classic American cuisine and premium cocktails.
- "Garden Kitchen" offers customized salads with 12+ ingredients to choose from.
- "The Concourse" is an outdoor sculpture garden (located midship-starboard) featuring an art wall designed by David Harber (who specializes in outdoor sculptures, sundials and water features) and 6 installations by Alexander Krivosheiw (specializing in bronze and aluminum sculptures). The cruise ship's 7 sculptures are valued at USD 2+ million (~EUR 1,7M).
- "La Terraza" is an open-air Promenade lounge featuring a quaint retreat with forward-facing sea views.
- "Infinity Beach" (sundeck) has 2 infinity swimming pools (at the edge of the deck / aft-midship) and two Oceanwalks (glass-bottom bridges / midship) - a first feature for the NCL brand.
Other culinary choices on the cruise ship include "The Latin Quarter" (classic Latin food with a twist), "Just Desserts" (including pies and cakes), "Just Ice Cream".
"The Haven by Norwegian" on Prima spans 8 decks (suites, public areas, exclusive venues) in the aft of the liner. The NCL's luxury ship-within-a-ship, keycard-access-only area has 107x Haven suites (aft-positioned) and 2x private elevators - exclusively for Haven passengers. The aft elevators rise into The Haven public areas and interconnect decks 6 through 17. For the first time, every public area offers sea views from floor-ceiling windows. The Haven Sundeck is an exclusive sunbathing area with plenty of padded sun loungers and deckchairs and is located aft on decks 16-17.
- Deck 16's Sundeck has an infinity pool at the stern (swimming pool overlooking the ship's wake), an outdoor Spa (featuring a glass-walled Sauna Room and Cold Room), Concierge Desk, Haven Outdoor Restaurant, Haven Outdoor Lounge & Bar (offering a limited buffet for breakfast and lunch, with traditional Chinese and Western cuisine specialties).
- Deck 17's Sundeck has two Jacuzzis (outdoor whirlpool hot tubs) and outdoor Showers.
- 24-hour butler service is provided complimentary.
Note: More amenities planned for the new ship are to be announced in the following months.
Norwegian Prima - user reviews and comments
Photos of Norwegian PrimaAdd Photo
Norwegian Prima ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line is once again breaking the boundaries of cruise vacation experiences via the reveal of its Norwegian Prima, which became...May 19, 2021
- Cruise Industry
NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line revealed more details on its newest ship (scheduled for delivery by Fincantieri in summer 2022) Norwegian Prima. NCL Prima...May 13, 2021
- Cruise Industry
NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line named its newest ship (scheduled for delivery by Fincantieri in summer 2022) Norwegian Prima. NCL Prima will be the...May 10, 2021
- show more news
Other Norwegian Cruise Line cruise ships
Norwegian Prima User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review