Jewel Of The Seas Review and Specifications
Specifications of Jewel Of The Seas
|Year built||2004 / Age : 15|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||USD 350 million|
|Owner||Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd|
|Operator||Royal Caribbean International|
|Speed||25 kn / 46 kph / 29 mph|
|Length (LOA)||293 m / 961 ft|
|Beam (width)||39 m / 128 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||90090 gt|
|Passengers||2144 - 2573|
|Decks with cabins||8|
|Christened by||Kathy Mellor|
Current itinerary of Jewel Of The Seas
Jewel Of The Seas current cruise is 9 days, round-trip Greek Isles. The itinerary starts on 23 Apr, 2019 and ends on 02 May, 2019.
|Date / Time||Port|
|23 Apr 17:00||Departing from Civitavecchia, Rome, Italy|
|25 Apr 11:00 - 20:00||Souda-Chania, Crete, Greece|
|26 Apr 07:00 - 19:00||Mykonos Island, Greece|
|27 Apr 07:00 - 17:00||Rhodes Island, Greece|
|28 Apr 07:00 - 18:00||Santorini Island, Greece|
|29 Apr 06:00 - 18:00||Piraeus, Athens, Greece|
|01 May 07:00 - 18:00||Naples, Italy|
|02 May 05:00||Arriving in Civitavecchia, Rome, Italy|
Review of Jewel Of The Seas
History - construction and ownership
Royal Caribbean International (RCI) is an US company, trademarked brand and subsidiary owned by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (RCCL, shipowner). RCI was established in 1968 and currently has over 1/5 of the worldwide cruise market. RCI also has RCCL's largest fleet as both number of vessels and GT tonnage (ship sizes and capacities). All Royal Caribbean liners have names ending with "of the Seas".
At 90 090 tons (that counts on the high end of medium-sized ships nowadays), Jewel of the Seas, just like her siblings, has just enough space for some of the storied Royal Caribbean innovations, such as wonderful alternative dining venues, superb solarium pool, a rock-climbing wall and expansive Adventure Ocean children amenities. The 2,500-passenger Jewel of the Seas maintains a relatively low crew-to-guest ratio. The ship feels practically petite in comparison to her newer, bigger Oasis- and Voyager-class fleetmates. However, Jewel is big enough to offer a variety of dining options and entertainment, yet small enough to offer more immersive itineraries than bigger Royal Caribbean vessels. Like all Radiance-class cruise ships, Jewel of the Seas features glass throughout its interior, thus granting passengers plenty of ocean views.
After the 2016 refurb, new amenities are to be added, such as new restaurants - Izumi (Asian), Giovanni’s Table (Italian), new bar, poolside outdoor theater. The Jewel will also boast shipwide Wi-Fi coverage with VOOM, the fastest internet at sea, new digital signage and cabin renovations (with flat TVs in all cabins).
Cruise itinerary program
Jewel of the Seas itinerary program is based on roundtrip departures from San Juan, Puerto Rico and year-round, 7-day Eastern and Southern Caribbean voyages. In the summer, Jewel sails to Alaska out of Seattle, with Panama Canal transition and repositioning between Florida and California.
On March 1, 2018, RCI officially announced that starting January 2019, the ship will be homeported in Miami Florida. All pre-scheduled (January through April) 2019 cruises from Puerto Rico were cancelled.
The ship's new Miami-based cruise program includes 5-night Western Caribbean, and 9- and 10-night Southern Caribbean itineraries.
Jewel Of The Seas has a total of 1057 cabins (of which 60 Suites, 517 Balcony rooms) in 24 grades. Most Jewel of the Seas staterooms are 160-190-sq.foot balcony rooms and 160-sq.foot insides (238). 19 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard Jewel of the Seas are the Royal Suites (1155 ft2 /107 m2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
The kitchen onboard Jewel of the Seas is consistently fine. The main dining venue, especially at dinner, is where nearly half the cruise liner is ordering and eating simultaneously. The service is first-class in all zones. The Tides Dining Room is ship's 2-level main restaurant, decorated with a moonlight and tide romantic theme. Food is nicely presented and well prepared. The elegant room features tables on two levels and wonderful views of the vessel's wake. The menu offers several choices of salads, starters and soups, main courses, cheese and desserts. The Windjammer Cafe is Jewel's main buffet venue. It is open for breakfast, lunch, afternoon snacks and informal dinner. Numerous stations serve up pasta, burgers, salads and sweets. Portofino and Chops Grille are ship's alternative restaurants. Chops is a steakhouse venue with an open kitchen. Enjoyable as Chops is, the real highlight of Jewel's onboard dining is Portofino with favorites including tiger shrimp risotto and spaghetti with lobster sauce. Both Chops Grille and Giovanni’s Table levy a per-person service fee.
Follows the complete list of Jewel of the Seas restaurants and food bars.
- Tides Restaurant (1112-seat aft Dining Room has a small private dining room (Shoreside).
- Windjammer Cafe lido buffet restaurant (680-seat, offers Early Breakfast at 6:30 a.m., Breakfast between 7:00-11:30 a.m., Lunch 11.30-3:30 p.m. and Dinner 6.30-9:00 p.m.)
- Chops Grille (86-seat specialty restaurant; reservations recommended)
- Portofino (95-seat Italian restaurant) during refurbishment 2016 was replaced by Giovanni’s Table (Italian specialty restaurant).
- Seaview Cafe (104-seat complimentary fast food and coffee bar) during refurbishment 2016 was replaced by Izumi (Asian specialty restaurant).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
The tone aboard Jewel of the Seas is set by the Centrum, which serves as a central spot for activities in the heart of the ship. During the evenings, its Lobby Bar is the hottest spot on Jewel for after-dinner dancing. The lavish, 3-deck Coral Theater hosts the production shows and games. The ship has a real modern feel and does a fine job in incorporating some of the best facilities that have become Royal Caribbean trademarks. Onboard cruisers will find classics like Schooner Bar and Windjammer Cafe, as well as a climbing wall up the smokestack, tiny golf and a waterslide. Other additions include the pretty Seaview Cafe, and the rather avant-garde Vortex disco.
Additional amenities include: Complimentary 24-hour Room-Service, Supervised Youth program, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry.
Follows the complete list of Jewel of the Seas lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Coral Theatre (features grand production shows with dance, acrobatics, comedy and games)
- Vortex Disco and Nightclub (126-seat, with a revolving bar)
- Photo Gallery and Shop; Art Gallery
- The Centrum (social hub, offers aerial acrobatics entertainment); Serengeti Club (40-seat card room); Safari Club Lounge (320-seat; hosts art auctions, karaoke, religious services); Zanzibar Lounge (52-seat); Next Cruise Lounge; Concierge Club (196-seat suite and past guests only); Yacht Club Lounge; Viking Crown Lounge and Bar
- Lobby Bar (47-seat atrium bar); Champagne Bar (52-seat wine bar); Game Reserves Bar (15-seat); Cafe Latte-tudes Bar (46-seat specialty coffee bar, Starbucks Coffee); The Pit Stop Bar (102-seat sports bar); Schooner Bar (134-seat piano bar); The Congo Bar; Sky Bar
- Vintages (wine bar)
- Centrum Boutiques (duty-free; clothes, perfumes, accessories, jewelry, logo souvenirs, General Store/alcohol and cigarettes)
- Casino Royale (258-seat)
- Royal Caribbean Online center (Internet computers room; 24-hour)
- Vitality at Sea Spa and Fitness Center; 3 jacuzzis; 2 pools
- Solarium lounge (includes Cafe Bar, pool bar and adults only pool area)
- Cinema (57-seat)
- Video Games Arcade; Fuel Teen Disco club; Royal Babies and Tots Nursery
- Adventure Beach; Adventure Ocean kids lounge area
- Sports Court (golf simulator, table tennis, basketball court); Jogging Track; Rock-climbing Wall; Fairways of Jewel Golf Course.
- During the ship's 2016 refurbishment were added digital signage boards (numerous touch-screens throughout the ship), also the Wi-Fi coverage was upgraded (to shipwide) and the fast-speed VOOM Internet is now available.
Jewel Of The Seas wiki
Jewel is Royal Caribbean's last Radiance-class liner, with sisterships Brilliance, Radiance, Serenade. Radiance-class vessels are built in accordance with Panamax standards allowing them to transit through Panama Canal.
Vessel's construction was completed in 2004 at Meyer Werft Shipyard (Papenburg, Germany). The inaugural cruise (maiden voyage) started on May 8, 2004. Ship's godmother was Kathy Mellor - winner of the "2004 National Teacher of the Year" prize. Kathy lives in Rhode Island (USA) and teaches English as a second language. The prize was given to her by President George W. Bush and his wife Laura Bush.
Like on all RCI ships, Jewel's Atrium is called "Centrum". The 9-deck high Atrium features floor-ceiling windows and vast interior spaces, allowing Jewel OTS to offer fantastic seaviews. Ship's shopping area includes gorgeous jewelry store and also designer-branded boutiques.
Jewel Of The Seas refurbishment 2016 review
The list of deckplan changes after ship's 2016 drydock refurbishment (March 21 – April 6) includes:
- New passenger accommodations were added – one 2-Bedroom Family Suite (category TS) plus a total of 24 oceanview and balcony cabins (on decks 2, 4, 9, 10 and 11).
- On deck 6, the Portofino restaurant was replaced by Giovanni’s Table (Italian specialty restaurant).
- On deck 12, the Seaview Cafe (104 seats, complimentary fast-food diner and coffee bar with waiter service) was replaced by Izumi (Asian specialty restaurant).
- On deck 6, Vintages (wine bar) replaced the Champagne Bar.
- On deck 4, the Seaside private dining room (starboard, 102 seats) was replaced by inside cabins.
- On deck 8, Explorer’s Court (small relaxation area) was replaced with 1 inside cabin.
- On deck 12, the RCI’s Nursery (Royal Babies & Tots) was added.
- Royal Caribbean’s digital signage boards were installed (numerous touch-screens throughout the ship). The Wi-Fi coverage was upgraded to ship-wide. The fast-speed VOOM Internet is now available.
- Cabin renovations included new flat TVs in all passenger rooms.
- On Lido deck 11, a poolside outdoor theater (Jumbotron movie screen) was installed.
- On deck 13, the Hollywood Odyssey (70 seats Cigar Club & Lounge) was replaced by Concierge Club.
- Chops Grille, the Spa and retail shopping areas were redesigned and refreshed.
- Jewel of the Seas refurbishment project’s total cost was around USD 30 million. The vessel is among the last RCI ships to benefit from the company’s expensive revitalization program for implementing Oasis-class features (facilities and amenities) fleetwide.
Jewel Of The Seas - user reviews and comments
Photos of Jewel Of The SeasAdd Photo
Jewel Of The Seas ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Royal Caribbean released the 2nd phase of its European itineraries for 2020. Six ships of Royal Caribbean had their 2020 voyages revealed, along with...December 20, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Dubai is soon to become home to the most expensive shore excursion from a cruise ship in the world, according to media reports. Cruise Arabia &...November 25, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Royal Caribbean redeploys Jewel of the Seas to PortMiami, starting January 2019. The cruise line has begun informing passengers that were booked on...March 8, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Royal Caribbean announced that it is cancelling all visits to Turkey for 2018 cruise season in Europe. The line has decided so, "due to the current...October 19, 2017
- Cruise Industry
Taking place on multi million Royal Caribbean ship Jewel of the Seas, the unique party cruise "Anchored" (unique-cruise.com) takes place from June 11...July 21, 2016
U.S. authorities announced they had arrested seven people after finding 11 kilograms (24 pounds) of cocaine aboard a Royal Caribbean cruise...January 26, 2016
- show more news
Other Royal Caribbean cruise ships
Jewel Of The Seas Itineraries
The below listed Jewel Of The Seas cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Royal Caribbean fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2019 Mar 29||14 days, one-way from Miami to Civitavecchia||Miami|
|2019 Apr 12||11 days, round-trip Greece & Croatia||Civitavecchia|
|2019 Apr 23||9 days, round-trip Greek Isles||Civitavecchia|
|2019 May 02||9 days, round-trip Greek Isles||Civitavecchia|
|2019 May 11||9 days, round-trip Greek Isles||Civitavecchia||$2476|
|2019 May 20||9 days, round-trip Greek Isles||Civitavecchia|
|2019 May 29||9 days, round-trip Greek Isles||Civitavecchia||$1858|
|2019 Jun 12||4 days, round-trip French Getaway||Civitavecchia||$650|
|2019 Jun 16||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles||Civitavecchia||$1575|
|2019 Jun 23||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles||Civitavecchia||$1538|
|2019 Jun 30||7 days, round-trip Western Mediterranean||Civitavecchia||$1571|
|2019 Jul 07||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles||Civitavecchia||$1588|
|2019 Jul 14||7 days, round-trip Western Mediterranean||Civitavecchia||$1169|
|2019 Jul 21||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles||Civitavecchia||$3998|
|2019 Jul 28||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles||Civitavecchia||$1538|
|2019 Aug 04||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles||Civitavecchia|
|2019 Aug 11||7 days, round-trip Western Mediterranean||Civitavecchia||$1380|
|2019 Aug 18||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles||Civitavecchia||$1649|
|2019 Aug 25||7 days, round-trip Western Mediterranean||Civitavecchia||$959|
|2019 Sep 01||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles||Civitavecchia||$5377|
|2019 Sep 08||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles||Civitavecchia|
|2019 Sep 15||9 days, round-trip Greek Isles||Civitavecchia|
|2019 Sep 24||9 days, round-trip Greek Isles||Civitavecchia|
|2019 Oct 03||9 days, round-trip Greek Isles||Civitavecchia||$1399|
|2019 Oct 12||9 days, round-trip Greek Isles||Civitavecchia||$2098|
|2019 Oct 21||9 days, round-trip Greek Isles||Civitavecchia||$1336|
|2019 Oct 30||12 days, round-trip Holy Land||Civitavecchia|
|2019 Nov 11||12 days, round-trip Holy Land||Civitavecchia||$1832|
|2019 Nov 23||7 days, round-trip Western Mediterranean||Civitavecchia||$1029|
|2019 Nov 30||16 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Dubai||Civitavecchia||$1113|
|2019 Dec 16||7 days, round-trip Oman & United Arab Emirates||Dubai||$499|
|2019 Dec 23||7 days, round-trip Qatar, Bahrain & The Uae Holiday||Dubai||$907|
|2019 Dec 30||7 days, round-trip Oman & The Uae Holiday||Dubai||$866|
|2020 Jan 06||7 days, round-trip Qatar, Bahrain & The Uae||Dubai||$656|
|2020 Jan 13||7 days, round-trip Oman & United Arab Emirates||Dubai||$612|
|2020 Jan 20||7 days, round-trip Qatar, Bahrain & The Uae||Dubai||$703|
|2020 Jan 27||7 days, round-trip Oman & United Arab Emirates||Dubai||$703|
|2020 Feb 03||7 days, round-trip Qatar, Bahrain & The Uae||Dubai||$661|
|2020 Feb 10||7 days, round-trip Oman & United Arab Emirates||Dubai||$675|
|2020 Feb 17||7 days, round-trip Qatar, Bahrain & The Uae||Dubai||$724|
|2020 Feb 24||7 days, round-trip Oman & United Arab Emirates||Dubai||$731|
|2020 Mar 02||7 days, round-trip Qatar, Bahrain & The Uae||Dubai||$724|
|2020 Mar 09||7 days, round-trip Oman & United Arab Emirates||Dubai||$731|
|2020 Mar 16||7 days, round-trip Qatar, Bahrain & The Uae||Dubai||$724|
|2020 Mar 23||16 days, one-way from Dubai to Civitavecchia||Dubai||$1333|
|2020 Apr 08||11 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Barcelona||Civitavecchia||$1501|
|2020 Apr 19||7 days, round-trip Italy, France & Spain||Barcelona||$758|
|2020 Apr 26||7 days, round-trip Italy, France & Spain||Barcelona||$819|
|2020 May 03||10 days, one-way from Barcelona to Copenhagen||Barcelona||$1501|
|2020 May 13||11 days, round-trip Scandinavia & Russia||Copenhagen||$1420|
|2020 May 24||7 days, round-trip Scandinavia & Russia||Copenhagen||$949|
|2020 May 31||7 days, round-trip Norwegian Fjords||Copenhagen||$1052|
|2020 Jun 07||11 days, round-trip Arctic Circle||Copenhagen||$2113|
|2020 Jun 18||10 days, one-way from Copenhagen to Stockholm||Copenhagen||$1699|
|2020 Jun 28||7 days, round-trip Scandinavia & Russia||Stockholm||$998|
|2020 Jul 05||7 days, round-trip Scandinavia & Russia||Stockholm||$934|
|2020 Jul 12||7 days, round-trip Scandinavia & Russia||Stockholm||$1052|
|2020 Jul 19||7 days, round-trip Scandinavia & Russia||Stockholm||$1013|
|2020 Jul 26||13 days, one-way from Stockholm to Copenhagen||Stockholm||$1909|
|2020 Aug 08||8 days, round-trip Scandinavia & Russia||Copenhagen||$1292|
|2020 Aug 16||7 days, round-trip Norwegian Fjords||Copenhagen||$1169|
|2020 Aug 23||13 days, one-way from Copenhagen to Barcelona||Copenhagen||$1684|
|2020 Sep 05||12 days, round-trip Mediterranean Venice||Barcelona||$1513|
|2020 Sep 17||12 days, round-trip Mediterranean Greek Isles||Barcelona||$1459|
|2020 Sep 29||12 days, round-trip Mediterranean Venice||Barcelona||$1341|
|2020 Oct 11||12 days, round-trip Mediterranean Greek Isles||Barcelona||$1345|
|2020 Oct 23||10 days, one-way from Barcelona to Civitavecchia||Barcelona||$1234|
|2020 Nov 02||12 days, round-trip Holy Land||Civitavecchia||$1658|
|2020 Nov 14||12 days, round-trip Holy Land||Civitavecchia||$1566|
|2020 Nov 26||16 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Dubai||Civitavecchia||$1030|
|2020 Dec 12||9 days, round-trip Ultimate Arabian Coast||Dubai||$605|
|2020 Dec 21||7 days, round-trip Qatar, Bahrain & Uae Holiday||Dubai||$797|
|2020 Dec 28||7 days, round-trip Oman & The Uae Holiday||Dubai||$807|
|2021 Jan 04||7 days, round-trip Qatar, Bahrain & The Uae||Dubai||$510|
|2021 Jan 18||7 days, round-trip Qatar, Bahrain & The Uae||Dubai||$582|
|2021 Jan 25||7 days, round-trip Oman & The Uae||Dubai||$635|
|2021 Feb 08||7 days, round-trip Oman & The Uae||Dubai||$707|
|2021 Feb 15||7 days, round-trip Qatar, Bahrain & The Uae||Dubai||$697|
|2021 Feb 22||7 days, round-trip Oman & The Uae||Dubai||$736|
|2021 Mar 01||7 days, round-trip Qatar, Bahrain & The Uae||Dubai||$725|
|2021 Mar 08||7 days, round-trip Oman & The Uae||Dubai||$736|
|2021 Mar 15||7 days, round-trip Qatar, Bahrain & The Uae||Dubai||$725|
|2021 Mar 22||16 days, one-way from Dubai to Barcelona||Dubai||$1203|