ms Oosterdam current position
Specifications of ms Oosterdam
|Year built||2003 / Age: 17|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Marghera, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 400 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||Holland America Line|
|Speed||24 kn / 44 kph / 28 mph|
|Length (LOA)||285 m / 935 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||82305 gt|
|Passengers||2024 - 2429|
|Decks with cabins||7|
|Sister-ships||MS Noordam, MS Westerdam, MS Zuiderdam|
|Christened by||HRH Princess Margriet of the Netherlands|
ms Oosterdam Itineraries
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2020 Dec 19||14 days, one-way from Auckland to Sydney||Auckland||$2019|
|2021 Jan 02||14 days, round-trip New Zealand Discovery||Sydney||$1919|
|2021 Jan 16||14 days, one-way from Sydney to Auckland||Sydney||$1919|
|2021 Jan 30||14 days, one-way from Auckland to Sydney||Auckland||$1919|
|2021 Feb 13||14 days, one-way from Sydney to Auckland||Sydney||$1919|
|2021 Feb 27||10 days, one-way from Auckland to Hobart||Auckland||$1399|
|2021 Feb 27||14 days, one-way from Auckland to Sydney||Auckland||$1969|
|2021 Mar 13||15 days, one-way from Sydney to Auckland||Sydney||$2099|
|2021 Mar 28||15 days, one-way from Auckland to Sydney||Auckland||$2549|
|2021 Mar 28||42 days, one-way from Auckland to Seattle||Auckland||$5889|
|2021 Apr 12||27 days, one-way from Sydney to Seattle||Sydney||$3539|
|2021 May 09||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$999|
|2021 May 16||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$999|
|2021 May 23||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$999|
|2021 May 30||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$1099|
|2021 Jun 06||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$1099|
|2021 Jun 13||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$1099|
|2021 Jun 20||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$1099|
|2021 Jun 27||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$1099|
|2021 Jul 04||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$1149|
|2021 Jul 11||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$1199|
|2021 Jul 18||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$1199|
|2021 Jul 25||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$1199|
|2021 Aug 01||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$1199|
|2021 Aug 08||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$1099|
|2021 Aug 15||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$1099|
|2021 Aug 22||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$1099|
|2021 Aug 29||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$1049|
|2021 Sep 05||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$1049|
|2021 Sep 12||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$999|
|2021 Sep 19||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Explorer||Seattle||$999|
ms Oosterdam Review
Review of ms Oosterdam
History - construction and ownership
Holland America Line (HAL) is a Seattle-based cruise company owned by Carnival Corporation (shipowner). Between 1873-1989, HAL was a Dutch cargo and passenger shipping company operating regular Transatlantic crossings between Holland and the Americas. HAL was founded in 1873 as "Dutch-American Steamship Company" headquartered in Rotterdam Netherlands. In 1989, HAL was acquired by Carnival Corporation for around EUR 530 million. Among the company's assets are the Westmark hotel chain (Alaska-Yukon), Worldwide Shore Services (warehouses-logistics) and Half Moon Cay (Caribbean private island).
The 82,305-ton, 1,848-passenger cruise ship ms Oosterdam went through a "Signature of Excellence" dry dock in 2009. Constructive changes included the addition of thirty-four new cabins and the development of a new Pinnacle Bar, accessible both as a pre-prandial watering gap for those dining in that Holland America signature alternative dining facilities, and, for the first time, to all other cruisers as well. There were also added a new library-cum-coffee bar-cum Internet Café, a new alternative Italian restaurant, new intimate screening room, and dedicated enrichment amenities.
Cruise itinerary program
MS Oosterdam itinerary program is based on Alaska cruises from Seattle WA in the summer. The ship also operates on South Pacific Islands sailings, Australia and New Zealand voyages from Auckland and Sydney. MS Oosterdam visits Hawaii on repositioning crossings between Alaska and Australia. In 2017 HAL shifts Oosterdam from Europe to Alaska.
MS Oosterdam has a total of 959 cabins (of which 162 Suites, 478 Balcony, 154 Inside rooms) in 30 grades. Most ms Oosterdam staterooms are 210-360-sq.foot balcony rooms. Nearly 70% of ship's accommodations have private balcony views. 29 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard ms Oosterdam are the Pinnacle Suites (1150 ft2).
Implemented fleetwide in 2019, "Club Orange" program provides exclusive amenities to Suite passengers booked in categories Neptune and Pinnacle. Bonus perks by this program include:
- priority services (check-in, disembarkation, tendering, dining reservations)
- 24-hour concierge service (assistance, information, reservations)
- exclusive dining venue (serving complimentary Pinnacle Grill breakfast and Dining Room dinner, plus exclusive dishes)
- dedicated Concierge Desk (Guest Services and Tours)
- room service (a la carte breakfast menu with complimentary gourmet dishes - including smoked salmon, steak and eggs)
- sparkling wine (embarkation day), Club Orange tote bag, premium bathrobes (cabin use, available for monogramming and purchasing).
- Club Orange Restaurant is part of the Main Dining Room (designed as separate VIP dining section).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Oosterdam's Vista Dining Room is a 2-deck venue at the aft end of the vessel. One deck is allocated for the guests who choose conventional fixed-seating dining and the other for open seating (passengers can either make a reservation or simply walk in). For those who prefer to be seated at small or large tables should use the reservation system. Breakfast consists of made-to-order waffles and eggs, plus the usual baked goods and cereals. Lunch offers starters, mains and desserts. Entrees might include salmon piccata, Swiss steak and stuffed bell pepper. A daily "express combo" caters to those who are in a hurry. One of HAL traditions is the Afternoon tea, served in the upper dining room daily. Three themed teas - Cupcake, Indonesian and Royal Dutch - are served once during a sailing. Signature dishes available nightly feature Caesar salad, French onion soup, grilled salmon, roasted chicken and broiled strip loin. There is at least one vegetarian entree plus a full vegetarian menu with vegan selections, which should be ordered the night before.
Follows the complete list of ms Oosterdam restaurants and food bars.
- Pinnacle Grill (145-seat reservations-only seafood/steakhouse restaurant with fine wines selection; free for passengers under 12 yo). The venue transforms into “An Evening at le Cirque” once per cruise via a partnership with NYC “Le Cirque” French restaurant.
- Vista Restaurant (1045-seat, aft Dining Room; features open seating Breakfast and Lunch, two Dinner options – 2 fixed seatings or “Any Time” dining between 5:15 p.m. - 9 p.m.)
- Terrace Grill (fast food pool bar; complimentary)
- Lido Restaurant (446-seat complimentary buffet restaurant; offers self-service Breakfast 6:00 a.m. -11 a.m., Lunch 11:30 p.m. - 2 p.m., Afternoon Tea, and Dinner 5:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.)
- Canaletto Restaurant (Lido Restaurant annexe; operates as an Italian restaurant for Dinner, reservations required).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
The Queen's Lounge, which is an alternative lounge/theatre on Vista Class ships, had a makeover and was transformed into The Culinary Arts Center by day, featuring permanent cooking and viewing equipment to instruct guests on the preparation of various dishes. The Culinary Arts Center is operated via a partnership with Food & Wine magazine and offers wine tastings ($15), cocktail tastings and mixology classes, as well as cooking, cake decorating, garnishing and flower arranging classes. The Queen's Lounge offers musical performances with B.B. King's Blues Club experience for five nights per week. The Digital Workshop, powered by Microsoft, is a dedicated computing education venue, with two rows of computers fronting a big, wall-mounted monitor hooked into the computer of the instructor, to graphically demonstrate each step. Other amenities include: complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service, Supervised Kids Program ("Club Hal"), cruise ship weddings, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry.
Follows the complete list of ms Oosterdam lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Atrium (3-deck high midship open-floor area with live performances)
- Vista Lounge (867-seat theatre/main show lounge; also serves Holland America’s enrichment program (via a partnership with BBC Earth)
- Piano Bar; Sports Bar; Pinnacle Bar (36-seat wine bar); Ocean Bar (Atrium bar and lounge, with dance floor and stage for live performances)
- Northern Lights Disco & Nightclub
- Queen’s Lounge & Culinary Arts Centre (with live band entertainment, cooking shows, culinary classes; via a partnership with “Food & Wine Magazine”)
- Explorer’s Lounge & Bar (lounge with bar; classical concert performances)
- Meeting Rooms (Hudson, Half Moon, Stuyvesant)
- Photo Gallery & Shop; Art Gallery
- Casino (served by Casino Bar and Sports Bar)
- Screening Room (38-seat indoor cinema)
- Atrium Shops (boutiques for duty-free tobaccos and liquor, perfumes, watches, clothing, HAL logo merchandise, souvenirs); Marabella Luxury Shop
- Explorations Cafe (speciality coffee bar and patisserie; also serves as ship’s Library and Online Centre/Internet computers room)
- Neptune Lounge (club venue for Deluxe Suite and Pinnacle guests only)
- Fitness Center (gym with separate Aerobics Room); 5 jacuzzis
- Greenhouse Spa & Salon; Lido Pool area, served by Lido Bar and Terrace Grill; Sea View Pool area served by Sea View Bar; The Retreat (adults-only)
- Crow’s Nest (observation lounge; bar and dance floor; becomes disco at night)
- Sport Court (basketball, volleyball, soccer); Promenade Deck, Walking Track
- Club HAL (kids lounge, complimentary youth programming)
- The Loft (teens club lounge area, with Video Games Arcade, computers, PlayStations; teen disco).
ms Oosterdam - user reviews and comments
Photos of ms OosterdamAdd Photo
ms Oosterdam ship related cruise news
HAL-Holland America Line's ship MS Oosterdam sailed out from Port Los Angeles (California) Tuesday night with all its staff-crew still aboard. The...April 29, 2020
Carnival Corporation-owned companies Princess, Holland America and Seabourn extended fleetwide passenger shipping operations through and...April 16, 2020
Passengers onboard the Holland America ship ms Oosterdam had an extra day to spend in San Diego CA this weekend when propeller issues delayed the...December 9, 2019
A 71-year-old passenger was medevaced 13 miles to safety by the United States Coast Guard this week after suffering from stroke symptoms aboard a...September 13, 2019
A cruise ship sailing into Canada Place, Vancouver Harbour on Saturday, May 4, collided with another ship of the same cruise company while berthing...May 5, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Holland America passengers looking to experience the sun-kissed Mexican Riviera will have 20 cruises and 3 ships to choose from between October 2019...March 22, 2019
Two Broward Sheriff’s Office deputies have been taken to hospital on Saturday, November 11, after their patrol boat crashed into a Holland...November 13, 2017
Passengers aboard Holland America cruise ship have fallen ill with norovirus symptoms on a nearly two week transatlantic cruise which departed...November 19, 2016
- show more news
Other Holland America cruise ships
ms Oosterdam Wiki
One of the four HAL's "compass ships", Oosterdam is Holland America's 2nd Vista-class liner, with sisterships Noordam, Westerdam, Zuiderdam. Ooster means "East" (in Dutch). Ship's Inaugural Cruise/Maiden Voyage was on July 27, 2003. Ship's Godmother was HRH Princess Margriet of the Netherlands. Its Atrium area features a huge crystal globe.
Oosterdam had a scheduled 2017 season in Europe, but the vessel was redeployed instead in North America (Alaska) for summer 2017 to operate 7-day cruises from homeport Seattle WA. The list of 2017 Alaska (Seattle-based) HAL ships also included Amsterdam (now Fred Olsen Bolette), Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Noordam, Volendam and Zaandam.