Viking Rurik Review and Specifications
Specifications of Viking Rurik
|Builder||RSW Rosslauer Schiffswerft GmbH (Dessau-Rosslau, Germany)|
|Speed||14 kn / 26 kph / 16 mph|
|Length (LOA)||129 m / 423 ft|
|Beam (width)||17 m / 56 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||5600 gt|
|Passengers||98 - 196|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Former names||Mariya Ulyanova, Viking Peterhof|
Review of Viking Rurik
The Viking Rurik ship cruises on Volga River in Russia, departing from Moscow to St Petersburg, and from St Petersburg to Moscow.
Discover the treasures of Russia on one of the best river ships sailing there: Viking Rurik. Fully refurbished in 2012, the ship carries up to 196 guests in its spacious 98 staterooms (32 Deluxe, 2 Junior Suites, 4 Suites, 60 Veranda), as those on the middle and upper decks feature private verandas. All accommodations meet the European standards of elegance and comfort, with amenities like in-room refrigerators, hotel-style beds and 26-inch flat TVs. An expanded restaurant and beautiful public areas are a plus to the pleasure of sailing on Viking Rurik. Benefit from the observation lounge, two bars with panoramic views, library and onboard boutique. There is free internet in every stateroom. Even a doctor is available on board!
Viking Rurik river cruise prices are per person and based on double occupancy. These are only indicative Viking cruise rates. They might be different when you book your Viking River Cruises Russia cruisetour deals, influenced by travel agency promotions, special offers and discounts, group travel booking or last-minute deals rates. On some Viking Rurik's Volga cruise tours, the line offers round-trip USA airfare discount deals (on select cabins or itineraries/dates).
River Cruise Itineraries
Follows the list of Viking Rurik river cruise itineraries as themes, officially announced by the Viking Cruises line:
- "WATERWAYS OF THE TSARS" are 12-days luxury Volga river cruises from Saint Petersburg to Moscow, and the reverse from Moscow to Saint Petersburg. There are 11 complimentary land tours/excursions and no hotel packages included in the fares. Feature port activities and tours along the route are:
- St Petersburg excursions (Winter Palace, the Hermitage Museum - one of the world's largest and oldest, with a huge and unique collection of arts and antiquities, jewelries, sculptures, traditional Russian ballet performances, Pushkin district excursion, Catherine Palace - the summer residence of the Russian monarchs/"tsars"), St Petersburg bus tour, optional tour to Peterhof Palace (gardens, fountains), St Petersburg departure in early evening (on day 4)
- Neva River cruise and crossing Lake Ladoga (the largest in Europe, on day 5)
- Svir River cruise to Mandrogy (local Vodka Museum, Russian handmade souvenirs. Optional excursions in Mandrogy are themed "banya" (visiting a traditional Russian bathhouse) and "matryoshka" (traditional Russian wooden doll making)
- Cruising along the Russian “Blue Route” (225 km / 139 ml in length)
- Onega Lake cruise (the Europe's second largest)
- Kizhi (local Museum of Architecture /outdoor exposition of traditionally built Russian wooden houses, windmills, churches, most of them built without nails))
- Volga-Baltic waterways cruising (370 km / 230 ml long system of small rivers, canals and 7 locks connecting Volga River with Baltic Sea
- Kuzino (Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery, Assumption Cathedral, local museum)
- Yaroslavl (local covered market for food and handmade items)
- Moscow Canal cruise (arrival during lunch time, half-day long tour in Moscow visits Bolshoi Theater, Red Square, St Basil Cathedral, GUM Store, Metro. The second day offers full day long parks and monuments tour, with optional half-day long excursion to Tretyakov Gallery (fine art museum). Third day Moscow touring visits Kremlin and two cathedrals, with optional Kremlin Armory tour.
- Departures from St Petersburg offer optional 2-night Moscow hotel package. On departures from Moscow, the line offers optional 3-night Helsinki hotel package (Finland).
Next are listed two exemplary itineraries with port dates:
- (southbound) 6-day from Saint Petersburg to Moscow - Oct 03 (Saint Petersburg, dep), Oct 04 (On River), Oct 04 (Mandrogi), Oct 05 (Kizhi Island), Oct 06 (Kuzino), Oct 07 (Yaroslavl), Oct 08 (Uglich), Oct 09 (Moscow).
- (northbound) 6-day from Moscow to Saint Petersburg - Oct 15 (Moscow, dep), Oct 16 (Uglich), Oct 17 (Yaroslavl), Oct 18 (Kuzino), Oct 19 (Kizhi Island), Oct 20 (On River), Oct 20 (Mandrogi), Oct 21 (Saint Petersburg).
Viking Rurik wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 6
- Total number of cabins: 98 (of which 6 Suite, 60 Balcony, 32 with a non-opening window).
- Restaurants: Neva (dining room), Odessa (casual).
- Lounges & Bars: Panorama (observation), Rurik Atrium (lobby), Library (Internet stations), Shop (traditional Russian souvenirs /gifts), Promenade (deck 1), Rurik Lounge & Bar and Sun Deck Lounge & Bar (show, observation /both on top deck), 1 elevator.
- Viking Rurik river cruise deals are inclusive of Internet (Wi-Fi), laundry, room-service, Russia land tours/excursions, all ground transfers, themed live onboard entertainment, lecturers, Russian traditional food and vodka tastings, 24-hour tea/coffee, replenished daily bottled water.
- Viking Rurik is one of Viking Cruises Russia ships. The other vessels in the line's "Europe-Asian" fleet are Akun, Helgi, Ingvar, Truvor, and in Ukraine - Sineus. You can compare Russian river cruises as prices also on AMAwaterways AmaKatarina, Uniworld River Victoria and Scenic Tours Scenic Tsar - sailing the same route between Moscow and Petersburg.
- The Viking Rurik ship was built in East Germany during the USSR times under the name "Mariya Ulyanova". Viking River Cruises acquired the vessel in 1990 and renamed it "Viking Peterhof". In 2012, after an extensive refit and refurbishment they renamed it once again - to the current "Viking Rurik". The Peterhof ship was one of all 22 Russian river cruise vessels constructed in the period 1974-1983 (Project name "301" /first series, river passenger ship class ""Vladimir Ilyich"). Because of its V-bottom hull shape, Rurik can also operate as Baltic Sea cruising vessel.
Cabins Types/Categories (number, location), high to low
- Suites - JR (x2, deck3), AA (x4, deck2)
- Balcony Staterooms - AX (x36, deck3), BX (x24, deck2)
- Deluxe RiverView Staterooms - CX (x4, deck1), DX (x20, deck1), EX (x8, deck1).
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there. For other Russia-based ships you can visit our dedicated to Russian River Cruises hub.