Viking Skirnir Review and Specifications
Specifications of Viking Skirnir
|Year built||2015 / Age : 5|
|Builder||Neptun Werft GmbH (Rostock, Germany)|
|Operator||Viking River Cruises|
|Speed||15 kn / 28 kph / 17 mph|
|Length (LOA)||135 m / 443 ft|
|Beam (width)||29 m / 95 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||5000 gt|
|Passengers||95 - 190|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Christened by||Donora Anderson|
Review of Viking Skirnir
Longship Viking Skirnir boat cruises on Rhine, Main and Danube Rivers in Holland, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Belgium and Slovakia. This Viking longship is named after Skirnir (meaning "bright one, clever") - in Norse mythology the messenger who was sent by Freyr (god of the sacred kings) to conduct the wooing of goddess Gerdr. On the behalf of god Odin, Skirnir went to the famous with their blacksmith skills mountain dwarves ordering them to forge the magical Gleipnir - a restraint to bind Loki's son Fenrir.
Viking Skirnir's Grand European Tour is a 15-days Main, Danube and Rhine river cruise visiting Holland’s windmills and tulip fields as well as Germany’s fairytale castles and the vineyards of Wachau Valley (Austria). The Romantic Danube itinerary is an 8-day Danube cruise visiting Budapest, Austria’s Wachau Valley, Vienna.
You can also choose the Skirnir's Tulips and Windmills itinerary - a 10-day sailing to some of Belgium’s medieval cities. Experience the Golden Age of Belgium in historic Antwerp, Ghent, Bruges and explore cosmopolitan Amsterdam. Don't forget to try savoury Dutch cheeses. Skirnir is the humble servant of gods and when Freyr, the god of sunshine, falls in love with goddess Geror, Freyr sends Skirnir to talk her over. The goddess refuses until Skirnir decides to threaten her with a mystical wand. For delivering Geror, he requires Freyr to give him as a reward his powerful sword.
Viking Skirnir has a total of 95 cabins (of which 9 Suite, 22 French Balconies, 25 with a non-opening window) in 8 grades. Skirnir longship boasts the same design elements as the other Viking Longships, featuring deluxe accommodations, streamlined Scandinavian interiors and exceptional engineering. The Longships have two Explorer Suites which are the largest in Europe as well as seven Veranda Suites (two-room) with a veranda and a French balcony. The 39 Veranda Staterooms feature full-size balconies.
Cabins Types/Categories (number, location), high to low
- Suites - ES (x2, deck3), AA (x7, deck 3)
- Balcony Staterooms - A (x20, deck3), B (x17, deck2)
- French Balcony Staterooms (with floor to ceiling door-windows) - C (x5, deck3), D (x15, deck2)
- RiverView Staterooms - E (x18, deck1), F (x7, deck1).
Viking Longships have new features including the revolutionary all-weather Aquavit Terrace bringing the outdoor scenery indoors, allowing passengers to enjoy the river views and al fresco dining. All Viking Longships, including Skirnir, boast organic herb gardens and onboard solar panels. Their hybrid engines are energy-efficient and reduce vibrations for a smooth ride.
Viking Skirnir dining options include Skirnir Restaurant (dining room) and Aquavit Terrace (al fresco). Other facilities include an Observation Lounge, Atrium (lobby), Library (Internet), Shop (gifts, souvenirs), top-deck (shaded relaxation area, Sky Bar, Herbal Garden, putting green, a walking track, shuffleboard). The Skirnir longship doesn’t have a gym room, pool, jacuzzi, spa.
Viking Skirnir cruise deals are inclusive of Internet (Wi-Fi), all tours/excursions, ground transfers, live evening entertainment, daily lecturers, food and wine tastings, 24-hour coffee/tea, replenished daily bottled water.
Viking Skirnir river cruise prices are per person and based on double occupancy. These are only indicative of Viking cruise rates. They might be different when you book your Viking River Cruises Europe cruise tour deals, influenced by travel agency promotions, special offers and discounts, group travel booking or last-minute deals rates. On some Viking Skirnir cruise tours, the line offers round-trip USA airfare discount deals (on select cabins or itineraries/dates).
River Cruise Itineraries
Follows the list of Viking Skirnir river cruise itineraries as themes, officially announced by the Viking Cruises line:
- "ROMANTIC DANUBE" are 7-days cruises from Nuremberg to Budapest and reverse from Budapest to Nuremberg/Nurnberg. These deals offer 3 countries to visit (Austria, Germany, Hungary) and 6 complimentary land tours/excursions. Disembarkation in Nuremberg offers two optional hotel packages- 2-night in Nuremberg or 3-night in Prague (Czech Republic). On departures from Germany (Nuremberg) the sailing part starts on the second day with the Main-Danube Canal cruise (passing through the locks) and ends in Budapest (optional 2-night Budapest hotel package).
- "GRAND EUROPEAN TOUR" are 14-days Rhine and Danube cruises from Amsterdam to Budapest, and the reverse from Budapest to Amsterdam. These deals offer 5 countries to visit, with 13 complimentary land tours/excursions included. On departures from Budapest, the sailing part starts in the evening on the second day and ends in Amsterdam (with optional 2-night Amsterdam hotel package). Disembarkation in Budapest offers an optional 3-night Prague hotel package.
- "TULIPS and WINDMILLS" are 9-days Springtime themed Belgium and Holland river cruises from Amsterdam (round-trip), with 8 complimentary land tours/excursions. On departures from Amsterdam, the sailing part starts on the second day. The itinerary features an Amsterdam canal cruise on a glass-domed boat and evening departure (on Day 2), cruising on lake IJsselmeer/Zuiderzee, visiting the Paleis Het Loo gardens (from Arnhem), Kinderdijk (windmills network), Antwerp (on river Scheldt in Belgium), Ghent (bus transfer to Bruges), bus travel in the Walcheren region (southwest Holland, stopping in Veere), Holland Delta Works cruise (Dutch system of numerous dams, locks, dykes, storm barriers, all protecting the Holland's Rhine-Meuse-Scheldt area from flooding; embarkation again in Bruinisse /Zeeland), Rotterdam (bus travel to Keukenhof Gardens in Lisse - world's 2nd largest floral garden after the Dubai's Miracle Garden), Amsterdam overnight dock.
Viking Skirnir - user reviews and comments
Other Viking Cruises cruise ships
Viking Skirnir Wiki
To/from Viking Skirnir boat transfers and airport meet&greet services are included in the fares only when airfares are purchased through the Viking cruise line.
Viking Skirnir is one of the latest generation Viking Cruises longships. This is a new (patented) Viking river cruise boat design allowing bigger accommodations without the need to shrink public areas size and to compromise the vessel's general comfort. The Viking ship Skirnir represents the line's latest Longship-class riverboat design. Viking Cruises longships feature energy-efficient hybrid engine technology, solar panels and interior design by "Yran & Storbraaten" (Norway). The patented "longship" design ("Rottet Studios", USA) allows much larger passenger accommodations with full-size balconies. The additional cabin space is created by 1 m (3,3 ft) off-centre shifting of the deck's corridor.
The riverboat’s godmother is Mrs Donora Anderson - the company's Senior Director of Operations. The list of other Viking Cruises longships launched in 2015 includes Astrild, Beyla, Eir, Gefjon, Lofn, Mani, Mimir, Modi, Ve, Vidar and Vili.
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.
Viking Skirnir Itineraries
The below listed Viking Skirnir cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Viking Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2021 Mar 15||14 days, one-way from Budapest to Amsterdam||Budapest||$3195|
|2021 Mar 29||14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Budapest||Amsterdam||$3095|
|2021 May 10||14 days, one-way from Budapest to Amsterdam||Budapest||$3495|
|2021 May 24||14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Budapest||Amsterdam||$3495|
|2021 Jun 07||14 days, one-way from Budapest to Amsterdam||Budapest||$3495|
|2021 Jun 21||14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Budapest||Amsterdam||$3495|
|2021 Jul 05||14 days, one-way from Budapest to Amsterdam||Budapest||$3095|
|2021 Jul 19||14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Budapest||Amsterdam||$3095|
|2021 Aug 02||14 days, one-way from Budapest to Amsterdam||Budapest||$3095|
|2021 Aug 16||14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Budapest||Amsterdam||$3095|
|2021 Aug 30||14 days, one-way from Budapest to Amsterdam||Budapest||$3495|
|2021 Sep 13||14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Budapest||Amsterdam||$3495|
|2021 Sep 27||14 days, one-way from Budapest to Amsterdam||Budapest||$3495|
|2021 Oct 11||14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Budapest||Amsterdam||$3395|
|2021 Oct 25||14 days, one-way from Budapest to Amsterdam||Budapest||$3095|
Viking Skirnir User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review