Silversea Expeditions (Silversea)
Silver Discoverer Review and Specifications
Specifications of Silver Discoverer
|Year built||1989 / Age : 29|
|Builder||(NKK) Nippon-Kokan Kabushiki Kaisha Shipyard (Tsurumi, Japan)|
|Owner||SunStone Ships Inc|
|Operator||Silversea Cruises (Silversea Expeditions)|
|Speed||18 kn / 33 kph / 21 mph|
|Length (LOA)||102 m / 335 ft|
|Beam (width)||15 m / 49 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||5218 gt|
|Passengers||128 - 154|
|Decks with cabins||4|
|Former names||Clipper Odyssey (Zegrahm Expeditions)|
|Christened by||Elda Turco Bulgherini|
Current itinerary of Silver Discoverer
Silver Discoverer current cruise is 14 days, one-way from Benoa to Phuket. Prices start from USD 9450 (double occupancy rates). The itinerary starts on 09 Sep, 2018 and ends on 23 Sep, 2018.
|Date / Time||Port|
|09 Sep||Departing from Benoa, Bali, Indonesia|
|10 Sep 11:00 - 23:00||Probolinggo, Java, Indonesia|
|11 Sep 06:00 - 12:00||Pulau Madura Island, Sumenep, Indonesia|
|12 Sep||At Sea|
|13 Sep 13:00 - 17:00||Krakatoa Island, Krakatau, Indonesia|
|14 Sep||At Sea|
|15 Sep 09:00 - 19:00||Padang, Sumatra, Indonesia|
|16 Sep 06:00 - 18:00||Batu Islands, Indonesia|
|17 Sep 06:00 - 16:00||Pulau Nias Island, Indonesia|
|18 Sep 07:00 - 12:00||Pulau Simeulue Island, Sinabang, Indonesia|
|19 Sep||Pulau Weh Island, Sabang, Indonesia|
|19 Sep||Banda Aceh, Sumatra, Indonesia|
|20 Sep 18:00 - 20 Sep||Belawan, Medan, Sumatra, Indonesia(Overnight)|
|21 Sep - 18:00||Belawan, Medan, Sumatra, Indonesia|
|22 Sep 17:00 - 22 Sep||Phuket, Phuket Island, Thailand(Overnight)|
|23 Sep||Arriving in Phuket, Phuket Island, Thailand|
Review of Silver Discoverer
Launched in 1989 as Oceanic Grace, MS Silver Discoverer cruise ship is owned by Silversea Cruises and operated by the company's “Silversea Expeditions” division. The ship's fleetmates in Silversea Expeditions are Silver Clound (1994), Silver Galapagos (2013) and Silver Explorer (2008).
History - construction & ownership
Silversea Cruises is a Monaco-based privately owned luxury cruise line. It was established in 1994 by a joint venture of V-Ships, Monaco (known previously as Vlasov Group) and the Lefebvre family of Italy (Rome). Silversea pioneered all-inclusive cruising with the launch of its first ship, Silver Cloud. As of early 2014, Silversea Cruises owns eight boutique cruise vessels, each carrying only 100 to 540 guests. The business model of Silversea is to operate cruise ships in the small, ultra-luxury, all-suite category. The new all inclusive fares of the line offer such features as beverages (including selected wines), gratuities (none are allowed), travel insurance, port charges and one or more complimentary shore excursions in every itinerary.
The 5,218-ton, 128-passenger cruise ship Silver Discoverer is also former Zeagrahm Expeditions' Clipper Odyssey. Now she's the third expedition vessel that joined Silversea Expeditions fleet on March 1, 2014 after an extensive refurbishment, including hull-repainting from white to the dark blue colors. Silver Discoverer expedition ship was skillfully engineered for exploring the most remote Pacific archipelagos. Her small size helps access rugged coasts which ordinary ships can't reach.
Constructed in 1989 in Japan and designed by Dutch architects, Silver Discoverer has cruised for ten years in Japan as Oceanic Grace, before she moved to Spice Island Cruises as Oceanic Odyssey. In 1999 Clipper Cruise Line bought the ship, reflagged it to Bahamas, and placed year-round in the Pacific Ocean. In May 2007, the Clipper Adventurer and Clipper Odyssey were bought by Danish owners and then put under International Shipping Partners (Miami-based small-ship company). Zegrahm Expeditions took the ship on a five-year charter in April 2008.
Ship's refurbishment will take place during October 2016 dry dock. Silversea will focus on public spaces. The Discoverer Lounge will be remade from breakfast venue into upscale lounge. The Explorer Lounge will get new furniture and AV technology. The Restaurant will be renovated with more modern look, and the pool grill will receive new furniture.
Cruise itinerary program
Silver Discoverer itinerary program is based on luxury voyages to exotic destinations, such as Melanesia, Micronesia, French Polynesia, the Russian Far East, Southeast Asia, Australia and New Zealand.
The Silversea Discoverer ship has five suite categories. Gratuities are included in fares and no other tips are needed. Other staterooms’ amenities include binoculars, personalized stationery, personal safe, flat-screen television, satellite news reception, music channels, complimentary movies and documentaries. All cabins are Wi-Fi accessible. The bathrooms are marbled, and have separate shower and tub, as well as oversized wash basin (the best option for babies). Passengers may choose from Bvlgari, Neutrogena or Ferragamo bath products.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
The Restaurant offers contemporary, international cuisine with impeccable service and sophisticated elegance. Menus feature regional specialities that are unique to the cruise destination.
Follows the complete list of Silver Discoverer restaurants and food bars.
- The Restaurant
- Outdoor Grill.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Silver Discoverer has twelve Zodiac boats, a restaurant and pool grill, gym and beauty salon, swimming pool, panoramic lounge and lecture room. There's a spectacular glass-bottom boat created for underwater viewing. As well available is snorkeling equipment and dive programs for advanced divers. Silversea Expeditions onboard team consists of eleven experts - expedition leaders, marine biologists, and dive masters, as well as geologists, historians, and naturalists.
Follows the complete list of Silver Discoverer lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- The Discoverer Lounge; The Explorer Lounge
- The Library (with audio listening stations and on-demand movies)
- Expedition Boutique (offers the highest quality products: logo items, jewellery, perfumes, souvenirs)
- The Spa at Silversea (features spa therapies including body wraps, massages and facials; sauna and steam rooms)
- Beauty Salon (provides a full range of services: hairstyling, manicures, pedicures)
- Fitness Centre (offers a treadmill, stationary bike, weight machine, elliptical trainer)
- Sun Deck.
Silver Discoverer wiki
- Cabin grades number: 5
- Total number of cabins: 62 (all of which Oceanview Suites)
- Dining Rooms: "The Restaurant" MDR (open-seating)
- Restaurants and food bars: The Grill (poolside eatery, transforming into an interactive dining venue "Hot Rock", where prime cuts and fresh seafood are grilled table side on a volcanic plate), The Discoverer Lounge (serving as main Breakfast, Lunch and Afternoon Tea area).
- Lounges & Bars: The Explorer Lounge (live music, lectures, briefings, social gatherings).
- Beauty Salon, Massage Room, Fitness Centre, Pool, Sun deck, Jogging track, Medical center, complimentary 24-hour Room Service, Butler Service, Internet/WiFi Access.
- Silver Discoverer cruise ship is a small, luxury yacht-type vessel operated as the third member of the Silversea cruise line's Silversea Expeditions fleet (together with Silver Cloud, Silver Explorer and Silver Galapagos). The vessel has been previously operated by a number of lines under different names ("Clipper Odyssey" being the most recent one). On 1 March 2014, the ship entered service for Silversea, following a rechristening ceremony in Singapore.
- The ship's godmother is Elda Turco Bulgherini (Maritime Law professor, "University of Rome Tor Vergata").
- The expedition cruise ship Silver Discoverer was deployed to sail on itineraries in the most remote regions of the world - Melanesia, Micronesia, Polynesia, Southeast Asia, the Russia's Far East, South Pacific and Australia/New Zealand.
- Silver Discoverer has a shallow draft which allows navigation closer to shore. The ship is equipped with 12 Zodiacs and a glass-bottom boat to explore marine life. The Silversea Expeditions team on board consists of 11 experts (expedition leaders, marine biologists, dive masters, historians, naturalists).
- (July 2002 accident) The ship ran aground on St Matthew Island (Bering Sea /Pacific Ocean), but fortunately, with no damage.
- (August 2004 accident) The ship ran aground on Aleutian Islands (Northern Pacific Ocean). All guests and crew were evacuated. The vessel suffered serious damage and 5000 gall of fuel leaked from it. Two months later, Silver Discoverer returned to service.
- Silversea's "flight and cruise" package deals (by the line's Silver Sky programme) are inclusive of the luxury cruise fare, discount round-trip airfare (Economy Class) and airport-pier-airport transfers.
- Silversea's "hotel and cruise" package "Silver Shore Simply Hotel" offers overnight 5-star luxury hotel stays with the option of adding transfers or upgrades. The upgraded cruise and hotel package ("Silver Shore Grande Hotel") offers 1-3-nights landmark hotel stays (or at a boutique property), and is inclusive of private transfers (airport-hotel and hotel-pier).
- Silver Discoverer was Silversea's first expedition ship to offer itineraries along Western Australia’s Kimberley Coast, between Darwin and Broome. The ship's 2017 Kimberley cruise expedition dates were March 26, April 6, April 16, April 26, May 6. Its all-inclusive cruise fares started from USD 9,450 per person (double occupancy rates).
Silver Discoverer - user reviews and comments
Photos of Silver DiscovererAdd Photo
Silver Discoverer ship related cruise news
Other Silversea Expeditions cruise ships
Silver Discoverer Itineraries
The below listed Silver Discoverer cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Silversea fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 May 28||10 days, one-way from Honiara to Vanuatu Islands||Honiara||$11400|
|2018 Jun 07||15 days, one-way from Vanuatu Islands to Cairns||Vanuatu Islands||$15450|
|2018 Jun 22||17 days, one-way from Cairns to Darwin||Cairns||$18900|
|2018 Jul 09||10 days, one-way from Darwin to Broome||Darwin||$11400|
|2018 Jul 19||10 days, one-way from Broome to Darwin||Broome||$10350|
|2018 Jul 29||10 days, one-way from Darwin to Broome||Darwin||$11250|
|2018 Aug 08||10 days, one-way from Broome to Darwin||Broome||$11400|
|2018 Aug 18||10 days, one-way from Darwin to Broome||Darwin||$11250|
|2018 Aug 28||12 days, one-way from Broome to Benoa||Broome||$14100|
|2018 Sep 09||14 days, one-way from Benoa to Phuket||Benoa||$9450|
|2018 Sep 28||14 days, one-way from Colombo to Mahe Island||Colombo||$12900|
|2018 Oct 12||11 days, round-trip Mahe Round Trip||Mahe Island||$13500|
|2018 Nov 05||11 days, round-trip Port Louis Round Trip||Port Louis||$12900|
|2018 Nov 16||11 days, one-way from Port Louis to Zanzibar||Port Louis||$10950|
|2018 Nov 27||16 days, one-way from Zanzibar to Durban||Zanzibar||$22350|
|2018 Dec 13||6 days, one-way from Durban to Maputo||Durban||$4616|
|2018 Dec 19||16 days, one-way from Maputo to Mahe Island||Maputo||$14250|
|2019 Mar 05||15 days, one-way from Yangon to Benoa||Yangon||$10200|
|2019 Mar 20||16 days, one-way from Benoa to Darwin||Benoa||$12900|
|2019 Apr 05||10 days, one-way from Darwin to Broome||Darwin||$8400|
|2019 Apr 15||10 days, one-way from Broome to Darwin||Broome||$8700|
|2019 Apr 25||10 days, one-way from Darwin to Broome||Darwin||$9000|
|2019 May 05||10 days, one-way from Broome to Darwin||Broome||$9000|
|2019 May 15||10 days, one-way from Darwin to Broome||Darwin||$9000|
|2019 May 25||10 days, one-way from Broome to Darwin||Broome||$9000|
|2019 Jun 04||10 days, one-way from Darwin to Broome||Darwin||$8700|
|2019 Jun 14||10 days, one-way from Broome to Darwin||Broome||$8400|
|2019 Jun 24||15 days, one-way from Darwin to Benoa||Darwin||$12150|
|2019 Jul 09||12 days, one-way from Benoa to Singapore||Benoa||$8700|
|2019 Jul 09||12 days, one-way from Benoa to Singapore||Benoa||$8700|
|2019 Aug 11||19 days, one-way from Singapore to Cairns||Singapore||$10904|
|2019 Aug 30||14 days, one-way from Cairns to Honiara||Cairns||$8412|
|2019 Sep 13||10 days, one-way from Honiara to Lautoka||Honiara||$6022|
|2019 Sep 23||12 days, round-trip Lautoke to Lautoka||Lautoka||$7581|