Viking Gefjon Review and Specifications
Specifications of Viking Gefjon
|Year built||2015 / Age : 5|
|Builder||Neptun Werft GmbH (Rostock, Germany)|
|Operator||Viking River Cruises|
|Speed||15 kn / 28 kph / 17 mph|
|Length (LOA)||135 m / 443 ft|
|Beam (width)||29 m / 95 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||5000 gt|
|Passengers||95 - 190|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Christened by||Verona Thiele|
Review of Viking Gefjon
Longship Viking Gefjon boat cruises on the Rhine, Main and Danube Rivers in Holland, Hungary, Austria, Germany, Slovakia and the Czech Republic. This Viking longship is named after Gefjon/Gefjun (meaning "giver/giving one") - in Norse mythology a giantess and goddess of divine foreknowledge /intuition. Goddess Gefjon is also associated with virginity, being the protectress of unmarried women and teenage girls.
Join the 2015 Viking Gefjon Grand European Tour for 15 pleasant days along the Main, Danube and Rhine Rivers. You'll be able to see Holland’s windmills and tulip fields as well as Germany’s fairytale castles and the vineyards of Wachau Valley in Austria. Another chance gives the Romantic Danube itinerary with 8-day sailing along the “Blue Danube” to explore fascinating Budapest, tour riverside in Austria’s Wachau Valley and experience the imperial architecture of Vienna.
Gefjon is believed to have created the Danish island of Zealand which helps earn respect among gods. Just like Odin, Gefjon knows humankind's destinies.
Viking Gefjon has a total of 95 cabins (of which 9 Suite, 22 French Balconies, 25 with a non-opening window) in 8 grades. The Gefjon ship boasts the same design elements as the other Viking Longships, featuring deluxe accommodations, streamlined Scandinavian interiors and exceptional engineering. The Longships have two Explorer Suites which are the largest in Europe as well as seven Veranda Suites (two-room) with a veranda and a French balcony. The 39 Veranda Staterooms feature full-size balconies and there are also 22 French Balcony Staterooms. All Viking Longships, including Viking Gefjon, boast organic herb gardens and onboard solar panels. Their hybrid engines are energy-efficient and reduce vibrations for a smooth ride.
Cabins Types/Categories (number, location), high to low
- Suites - ES (x2, deck3), AA (x7, deck 3)
- Balcony Staterooms - A (x20, deck3), B (x17, deck2)
- French Balcony Staterooms (with floor to ceiling door-windows) - C (x5, deck3), D (x15, deck2)
- RiverView Staterooms - E (x18, deck1), F (x7, deck1).
Viking Gefjon dining options include Gefjon Restaurant (dining room) and Aquavit Terrace (al fresco). Viking Longships have new features including the revolutionary all-weather Aquavit Terrace bringing the outdoor scenery indoors, allowing passengers to enjoy the river views and al fresco dining. Other facilities include an Observation Lounge, Atrium (lobby), Library (Internet), Shop (gifts, souvenirs), top-deck (shaded relaxation area, Sky Bar, Herbal Garden, putting green, a walking track, shuffleboard). The Gefjon longship doesn’t have a gym room, pool, jacuzzi, spa.
Viking Gefjon cruise deals are inclusive of Internet (Wi-Fi), all tours/excursions, ground transfers, live evening entertainment, daily lecturers, food and wine tastings, 24-hour coffee/tea, replenished daily bottled water.
Viking Gefjon river cruise prices are per person and based on double occupancy. These are only indicative of Viking cruise rates. They might be different when you book your Viking River Cruises Europe cruise tour deals, influenced by travel agency promotions, special offers and discounts, group travel booking or last-minute deals rates. On some Viking Gefjon cruise tours, the line offers round-trip USA airfare discount deals (on select cabins or itineraries/dates).
River Cruise Itineraries
Follows the list of Viking Gefjon river cruise itineraries as themes, officially announced by the Viking Cruises line:
- "GRAND EUROPEAN TOUR" are 14-days Rhine and Danube cruises from Amsterdam to Budapest, and the reverse from Budapest to Amsterdam. These deals feature "Rhine-Main-Danube Canal" passage (Germany), 5 countries to visit (Hungary, Slovakia, Austria, Germany, Holland) and 13 complimentary land tours/excursions. On departures from Budapest, the sailing part starts in the evening on the second day and ends in Amsterdam (with optional 2-night Amsterdam hotel package). Disembarkation in Budapest offers optional 3-night Prague hotel package (Czech Republic).
- "HEART OF GERMANY” are 6-days Main river cruises from Frankfurt to Nuremberg and the reverse from Nuremberg to Frankfurt. These deals offer 6 complimentary land tours/excursions. Also included in the fares are bus transfers Frankfurt to Heidelberg (for a full-day excursion), Wurzburg (full-day tour, bus travel to Rothenburg, embarkation in Gerlachshausen), Nuremberg (overnight dock). Optional luxury hotel packages are offered for Germany (2-night Nuremberg or 2-night Cologne/Koln) and Czech Republic (3-night Prague).
- "ROMANTIC DANUBE" are 7-days cruises from Nuremberg to Budapest and reverse from Budapest to Nuremberg/Nurnberg. These deals offer 3 countries to visit (Austria, Germany, Hungary), with 6 complimentary land tours/excursions. Disembarkation in Nuremberg offers optional 2-night Nuremberg or 3-night Prague hotel packages. On departures from Germany (Nuremberg) the sailing part starts on the second day with the Main-Danube Canal cruise (passing through the locks) and ends in Budapest (optional 2-night hotel package).
- "RHINE RHAPSODY" are 9-days Moselle and Rhine river cruises from Paris to Basel and the reverse from Basel to Paris. These deals offer 4 countries to visit (France, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland) and 8 complimentary land tours/excursions. Viking deals are also inclusive of 2-night Paris luxury hotel package, train travel to Luxembourg (Switzerland), bus transfer to Germany (Trier, on Moselle River, for embarkation), There are two optional hotel packages - 2-night in Lucerne (Lake Lucerne, Swiss Alps) or 3-night in Montreux (Lake Geneva, for touring Lausanne and Geneva). On departures from Switzerland (Basel), the sailing part starts on Day 2 (early evening), with an optional 2-night Paris hotel package at the end.
- "RHINE GETAWAY” are 7-days river cruises from Amsterdam to Basel, and the reverse from Basel to Amsterdam, with 4 countries to visit (Holland, Germany, France, Switzerland) and 6 complimentary land tours/excursions. These deals include disembarkation in Mannheim (for the Heidelberg tour and embarkation again in Speyer) and disembarkation in Kehl for the Strasbourg tour. Disembarkation in Amsterdam offers optional 2-night Amsterdam hotel package.
Viking Gefjon - user reviews and comments
Other Viking Cruises cruise ships
Viking Gefjon Wiki
To/from Viking Gefjon boat transfers and airport meet&greet services are included in the fares only when airfares are purchased through the Viking cruise line.
Viking Gefjon is one of the latest generation Viking Cruises longships. This is a new (patented) Viking river cruise boat design allowing bigger accommodations without the need to shrink public areas size and to compromise the vessel's general comfort. The Viking ship Gefjon represents the line's latest Longship-class riverboat design. Viking Cruises longships feature energy-efficient hybrid engine technology, solar panels and interior design by "Yran & Storbraaten" (Norway). The patented "longship" design ("Rottet Studios", USA) allows much larger passenger accommodations with full-size balconies. The additional cabin space is created by 1 m (3,3 ft) off-centre shifting of the deck's corridor.
The riverboat’s godmother is Mrs Verona Thiele - one of the line's long-serving employees (a Concierge). The list of other Viking Cruises longships launched in 2015 includes Astrild, Beyla, Eir, Lofn, Mani, Mimir, Modi, Skirnir, Ve, Vidar and Vili.
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.
Viking Gefjon Itineraries
The below listed Viking Gefjon cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Viking Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2020 Mar 28||9 days, round-trip Tulips & Windmills||Amsterdam||$2545|
|2020 Apr 06||9 days, round-trip Tulips & Windmills||Amsterdam|
|2020 Apr 15||9 days, round-trip Tulips & Windmills||Amsterdam|
|2020 Apr 24||9 days, round-trip Tulips & Windmills||Amsterdam|
|2020 May 03||9 days, round-trip Tulips & Windmills||Amsterdam||$3645|
|2020 May 12||14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Budapest||Amsterdam|
|2020 May 26||14 days, one-way from Budapest to Amsterdam||Budapest||$5195|
|2020 Jun 09||14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Budapest||Amsterdam||$4795|
|2020 Jun 23||14 days, one-way from Budapest to Amsterdam||Budapest||$3695|
|2020 Jul 07||14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Budapest||Amsterdam||$4495|
|2020 Jul 21||14 days, one-way from Budapest to Amsterdam||Budapest||$3295|
|2020 Aug 04||14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Budapest||Amsterdam||$3295|
|2020 Aug 18||14 days, one-way from Budapest to Amsterdam||Budapest||$3295|
|2020 Sep 01||14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Budapest||Amsterdam||$3895|
|2020 Sep 15||14 days, one-way from Budapest to Amsterdam||Budapest||$3695|
|2020 Sep 29||14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Budapest||Amsterdam||$3695|
|2020 Oct 13||14 days, one-way from Budapest to Amsterdam||Budapest||$3895|
|2020 Oct 27||14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Budapest||Amsterdam||$3295|
Viking Gefjon User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review