Amsterdam is The Netherlands kingdom's capital city and a major ocean and river cruise port. The port is among the most visited by cruise ships based in Baltic Sea. This is also a turnaround port for riverboats operating on Rhine and Moselle rivers, as well as on the Dutch waterways.
Holland's capital city has population around 845,000 (urban 1,35 million, metro 2,43 million) and covers an area of approx 166 km2 (64ml2). The Randstad megalopolis (which besides Amsterdam also includes the located in South Holland Rotterdam and The Hague) has population of around 7 million. Amsterdam City itself is one of the world's most visited tourist travel destinations and also one of Europe's arts capitals. It is an unique place to visit with rich history, amazing canal ring, world-famous museums, guided city tours and exciting shore excursions. Next photo shows the Amsterdam cruise port and its passenger terminal building.
Cruise lines that include Amsterdam cruise port in their ship schedule increase every year. The terminal welcomes more than 1/4 million passengers during the high cruising season.
Port Amsterdam (officially "Haven van Amsterdam") is a major seaport serving Amsterdam City. It is ranked Europe's 4th largest cargo port. The port is on a former bay and via North Sea Canal (Noordzeekanaal) is connected to North Sea.
In the 17th century (during the so called Dutch Golden Age), Amsterdam was one of the main seaports of the Dutch East India Company - world's first ever multinational corporation (established 1602 AD). Today, it is Holland's 2nd largest cargo port - after Rotterdam.
- The port's total area is 6,2 km2 (2,4 ml2) waterways and plus 20 km2 (7,7 ml2) land areas (quays, roads, railways, green areas).
- The port comprises several harbors, which are also part of city boroughs (named Westpoort, Westerpark, Centrum, Zeeburg). The list of harbours (haven) includes Afrika, Amerika, West Harbour, Jan van Riebeeck, Petroleum, Coen, Mercurius, Hout, De Ruijter Quay (Ruijterkade), Eastern Trade Quay.
- The port's 2014 statistics showed as handled marine shipping cargo around 97,4 million tons. For comparison, in 2008 the port handled 6029 marine vessels with 75,8 million tons of cargo and 435,129 TEUs (containers).
- Amsterdam cruise port is among Northern Europe's largest. The port handles an average (ship calls) of 140 ocean and 1500 river cruises, The number of cruise tourist is around 700.000.
- In September 2015, MSC Splendida ship became the largest cruise vessel in Amsterdam.
- Amsterdam port has 2 cruise terminals: Passenger Terminal Amsterdam (serving ocean-going ships) and another terminal located after the locks in IJmuiden.
Highlights: Canals, bridges, Vincent Van Gogh Museum, Rijksmuseum
Amsterdam cruise terminal
Amsterdam cruise port terminal is located 15 minutes away from the Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, right in the city heart. The central train station of Amsterdam is just in 10 minutes walking distance.
- Amsterdam cruise port terminal has a large reception, tourists information office, cafes, restaurants, luggage facility and shops. There is a parking area which is underneath Amsterdam cruise port terminal (Passenger Terminal Amsterdam).
- If you prefer, you can use touring boat or public transport to reach the center of Amsterdam.
- Passenger Terminal Amsterdam has quays with length of 600 m and 10.5 depth. If the weather is in normal condition, vessels up to 330 m will turn very easy in Amsterdam cruise port terminal.
- Available for the passengers is pontoon for transfer to and from different kinds of touring boats.
- aParking (underneath the PTA / cruise terminal) is EUR 30 per day (subject to change).
At the moment you disembark here, you can enjoy great views of the city from the huge outdoor balcony of the terminal. The passengers also can use the Movenpick hotel facilities, a four-star hotel located in adjacent.
Amsterdam tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Exploring the canals: Amsterdam has at least 165. All are surrounded with typical houses and beautiful green tree. You can also see typical 17th century Golden Age houses.
- The Rijksmuseum: exhibitions of famous Dutch Golden Age painters, one of the most popular places to visit. The “top” piece is “Night Watch” by Rembrandt. You will also see Jan Steen’s and Vermeer ‘s paintings.
- The Begijnhof: located in the heart of the old city. A lovely 14th century place with beautiful houses and green gardens.
- Brown Cafes: or a typical Dutch pub. The name is given after the color of the interior – dark wood and stained by cigarette smoke walls.
- Anne Frank House: nearly a million tourists visit the Anne Frank House every year. The place is touching with the story of Anne Frank, a Jewish girl, and her family. They were hiding in this house during the Nazi’s occupation.
- Vondelpark: the most popular park in Amsterdam.
- Oude Kerk: dates since 1250 AD, the Amsterdam’s oldest church. The paradox is that it is located at the Red Light District center.
- Waterlooplein: located near the City Hall. A huge market, where you can buy anything but the usual at very good price.
- The Red Light District: real notorious highlight. You can see hundreds of young women, wearing only lingerie, behind red lit window.
- Coffee Shops: you can buy marihuana or hash for personal use in small quantity.
The Amsterdam cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Amsterdam, Holland.
If you lose the Amsterdam location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Amsterdam cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Amsterdam, Holland. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
13 March, 2017
15 March, 2017
16 March, 2017
20 March, 2017
23 March, 2017
24 March, 2017
25 March, 2017
26 March, 2017
28 March, 2017
29 March, 2017
30 March, 2017
31 March, 2017
21 March, 2017
27 March, 2017
A devoutly religious woman from Brisbane who took a 30-day cruise and went on a spending spree after nearly US$100,000 was mistakenly put into...March 22, 2017
A majority in Amsterdam city council supported moving the cruise ship terminal of the Dutch capital out of the city center. This was revealed in a...November 20, 2016
The alderwoman of economic affairs of Amsterdam created a huge surprise during port conference. Mrs.Kajsa Ollongren (D66 political party) announced...November 12, 2016
For the first time since her debut in April 2016, the newest and largest cruise ship of Holland America arrived in Fort Lauderdale on Wednesday...November 10, 2016
Christmas Cruises are now top of more Brits' wish lists than ever before, with a 60% rise in internet searches during the first 6 months of...November 2, 2016
A former cruise ship worker who had sexually assaulted and tried to kill a female passenger told a judge October 18, Tuesday that he was having a...October 22, 2016
With Holland America putting bigger cruise ships on Southeast Alaska run and other major lines adding Sitka calls, the town can expect a 20% increase...September 26, 2016
High seas and gale-force winds on the outer coast are keeping around 4,500 cruise ship passengers from seeing Sitka this week. MS Amsterdam, ms...September 23, 2016
Viking River Cruises offers its first European river itineraries on a vessel dedicated to Chinese travelers later this fall. The...September 22, 2016
As cruise demand in Europe is shrinking and there is an increasing demand for Alaska summer sailings, Holland America is redeploying its ms...September 19, 2016
- show more news