Professor Molchanov Review and Specifications
Specifications of Professor Molchanov
|Year built||1982 / Age : 38|
|Builder||Oy Laivateollisuus AB (Turku, Finland)|
|Class||ice-strengthened research ship|
|Speed||10 kn / 19 kph / 12 mph|
|Length (LOA)||72 m / 236 ft|
|Beam (width)||13 m / 43 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||1753 gt|
Current position of Professor Molchanov
Review of Professor Molchanov
MV Professor Molchanov ("Профессор Молчанов") is a polar expedition cruise ship owned by Roshydromet Arkhangelsk (Hydrometeorological & Environmental Monitoring Centre, Russia) and occasionally operated under charter by Oceanwide Expeditions.
One of the Arctic expedition ships, Professor Molchanov is a Russian ice-strengthened oceanographic research vessel also operated as a cruise ship. The vessel was built in Finland for the Soviet Union (USSR) in 1983. Today, it is converted to a passenger shipping vessel in order to serve the small ship expedition cruising market.
Launched on December 28, 1982, this ship is named after the radiosonde inventor and meteorologist Pavel Alexandrovich Molchanov (1893-1941) and was christened on the scientist's 90th anniversary. Between January 26, 1983, and September 7, 1991, the Molchanov ship was used for oceanographic and polar research, making a total of 34 research expeditions. Among those were the following global hydrology expeditions (held by the Murmansk Hydrometeorological Administration):
- 1984 (from April 28 to June 10) - the itinerary route was through the Norwegian Sea, the North Sea, northeast Atlantic Ocean, Barents Sea
- 1989 (from September 19 to November 30) - the itinerary route was through North Atlantic Ocean, Greenland Sea, Norwegian Sea, Barents Sea
- 1989-1990 (December 12 to February 22) - the itinerary route was through South Atlantic Ocean, Norwegian Sea, Barents Sea, North Sea, North Atlantic Ocean
Professor Molchanov itinerary program offers Arctic expedition cruises.
Professor Molchanov ship details
Professor Molchanov cruise ship has one suite, 2 triple and 23 double cabins for passengers. Among the public areas are a small library, infirmary, sauna, passenger lounge and bar. The dining room doubles as a lecture room. There are nice viewing areas on the open deck. Passengers are welcome on the navigation bridge.
The ship has a Zodiac craft for wildlife viewing and landings. Like all polar expedition cruise ships, this vessel has an ice-strengthened hull designed for operations in the Arctic and Antarctic ocean waters. Its sister-ship is Professor Multanovskiy.
- The list of Russian icebreaker cruise ships (with Antarctica / Arctic itineraries) includes Akademik Ioffe, Akademik Sergey Vavilov, Kapitan Dranitsyn, Kapitan Khlebnikov and the nuclear ships 50 Let Pobedy and Yamal.
- The vessel has 1 dining room, no Sauna, no swimming pool, no elevator, no helipad (helicopter deck).
- Max Draught: 4,5 m (15 ft)
- DWT Deadweight tonnage: 2113 tons
- Displacement tonnage: 10000 tons
- Range: 3560 km (2210 ml)
Note: In the case of poor AIS coverage, tracking the vessel's current location will be impossible. You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all icebreakers and ice-breaking research ships in the "itinerary" section of our Icebreakers hub. All states and their fleets are listed there.
Professor Molchanov - user reviews and comments
Photos of Professor MolchanovAdd Photo
Other Oceanwide Expeditions cruise ships
Professor Molchanov Wiki
Professor Molchanov User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review