Ocean Endeavour last position
Ocean Endeavour last location was at West Africa (coordinates 28.15410 N / -15.40956 W) cruising en route to LAS PALMAS. The AIS position was reported 3 months ago.Current Position
Specifications of Ocean Endeavour
|Year built||1982 / Age: 39|
|Builder||New Szczecin Shipyard (Szczecin, Poland)|
|Class||ice-strengthened expedition ship|
|Owner||SunStone Ships Inc|
|Operator||Quark Expeditions, Albatros Travel, Adventure Canada|
|Speed||16 kn / 30 kph / 18 mph|
|Length (LOA)||137 m / 449 ft|
|Beam (width)||21 m / 69 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||12907 gt|
|Passengers||300 - 450|
|Decks with cabins||6|
|Former names||Kristina Katarina, The Iris, Francesca, Konstantin Simonov|
Ocean Endeavour Review
Review of Ocean Endeavour
MS Ocean Endeavour cruise ship was launched in 1982 under the name "Konstantin Simonov" and operated in Baltic Sea. In 1988, the vessel underwent a major drydock refit (complete makeover) transforming it into an expedition cruise ship. In the period 1996-2001, the ship was deployed in the Mediterranean Sea (southern Europe) and operated as "MS Francesca".
The vessel is owned by the Copenhagen-based Albatros Travel company, that specializes in polar expedition cruises and tours. Quark Expeditions (USA-based polar cruise travel company) operates the vessel under a charter. The list of other Albatros Travel-owned ships also includes Ocean Adventurer, Ocean Atlantic (sister-ship), Ocean Diamond, Sea Endurance. For Antarctica 2022 season, the ship was also chartered by Adventure Canada.
The vessel was built in Szczecin Poland as a Ro-Ro ship (passenger and car ferry) ship "MS Konstantin Simonov" for the USSR (Soviet Union / Russia) Black Sea Shipping Company. The ship was launched as the 4th in a series of all 7 "Dmitriy Shostakovich-class" ferries (project B-492/B-493). The list of sister-ships includes Dmitriy Shostakovich (1980, scrapped 2016 as Royale Star), Georg Ots (1980, illegally scrapped in 2014), Lev Tolstoy (1981, scrapped in 2014 as Ocean Life), , Konstantin Simonov (1982, now Ocean Endeavour), Mikhail Suslov (1982, scrapped in 2013 as Ocean Jewel of St Petersburg), Mikhail Sholokhov (1986, scrapped in 2011 as Phoenix) and Konstantin Chernenko (1986, now Ocean Atlantic). Originally, each of these ferry ships was designed with passenger capacity around 400, crew capacity around 170, power (4 marine diesel engines model Sulzer-Skoda / combined power output 12,800 kW), propulsion (2 fixed propellers), max speed 20 Kn (23 mph / 37 kph), and all 9 decks (6 of which passenger accessible).
Until 2010, the shipowner Mano Cruise (Israel-based travel company, a subsidiary of Mano Maritime) operated it under the name "The Iris" on eastern Mediterranean itineraries. In late 2010, it was refurbished again and became the flagship of Kristina Cruises (renamed "Kristina Katarina") replacing the smaller Kristina Regina. On January 8, 2014, the vessel was sold and renamed to "Ocean Endeavour". Currently, the ship cruises along Canada's east coast (Atlantic Ocean) and Greenland. Canadian Arctic cruises are offered during the northern summer season. Antarctica cruise itineraries leaving out of Ushuaia (with optional fly-cruise deals from Buenos Aires) are offered during the southern summer season.
The vessel's draft is only 18 ft (5,6 m) allowing access to remote islands and unique coastal destinations. The ship is powered by two MAN marine diesel engines (total power output 5400 HP). The hull is ice class 1B. The ship has all 6 lifeboats, which are fully enclosed. Ship-to-shore communications are via Inmarsat Capsat Fleet 77 (satellite phone and Internet).
Staterooms come in numerous categories. Most feature exterior views via portholes or windows. The one exception is a block of interior single cabins on Deck 5. Booking one of these allows solo travellers to avoid rooming with a stranger or paying a single supplement. Twin cabins come in a variety of layouts and sizes due to the ship's older design. Passengers can choose one or two portholes, single or two picture windows. Some windows are with obstructed views. Another option is one double bed or two single beds. Triple cabins are also available.
Largest staterooms on Ocean Endeavour are the Owner's Suite and the Junior Suites. While the Juniors are similar-sized (approx 30 m2 /320 ft2), the Owner's Suite boasts two large windows facing forward (the bow), plus a bathroom with hot tub. All Junior Suites are with single windows, and most bathrooms are shower only. All accommodations are equipped with DVD players and flat TVs.
Ocean Endeavour is the only Antarctica-visiting cruise ship with a focus on health and wellness. Onboard amenities include a day spa, yoga room, swimming pool, hot tub, gym, saunas (for men and women) and a wellness cafe (with juice bar). Passengers can go on with the wellness theme of the vessel by participating in snowshoeing, stand-up paddleboarding or kayaking tours (the latter two for an additional fee). For onboard relaxation, the ship has two lounges (Aurora and Nautilus) plus the top-deck Meridian Club.
Quark cruise deals
Quark Expeditions cruise deals are inclusive of:
- 1-night pre-cruise hotel stay, group transfers (airport-hotel on the day prior departure, and hotel-ship on embarkation day)
- onboard accommodation (daily housekeeping service)
- all onboard meals (breakfasts, lunches, dinners) - know that the ship's galley/kitchen can't prepare kosher meals
- all Zodiac landings (daily, weather permitting) and Zodiac transfers and cruising (daily)
- media presentations by Expedition Team members and special guest lecturers
- waterproof expedition boots (onshore landings)
- complimentary Quark Expeditions logoed parka
- lifejackets and immersion suits
- complimentary coffee, tea and cocoa (24 / 7)
- hairdryer and bathrobe (in all cabins)
- pre-departure materials (including maps)
- all service taxes and port fees
- all onboard luggage handling
- emergency evacuation (medevac) insurance to a max benefit USD 100,000 pp
- Fly-cruise deals are inclusive of complimentary house wines (by the glass), beers and spirits on the ship, also of all gratuities (staff and crew) and all domestic flights (prior to embarkation).
- Shipboard laundry and Ironing services are available at additional cost.
- Ship-to-shore communications are via Inmarsat Capsat Fleet 77 (satellite phone and Internet) and cost extra.
Adventure Canada 2022 Antarctic cruise expeditions are via partnership with the travel agencies Chimu Adventures (Australia) and Intrepid Travel (England UK). The Canadian company chartered Ocean Endeavour for a total of 3 itineraries in 2022.
- (January 7-27) 20-day "Antarctica, South Georgia and Falklands Explorer" itinerary to Antarctic Peninsula, South Georgia Island and Falkland Islands (stop at Port Stanley).
- (January 26 - February 8) 14-day "Journey to the Circle" itinerary crosses the Antarctic Circle, explores the Antarctic Peninsula's wildlife and visits South Shetland Islands.
- (February 16-26) 10-day "Antarctic Whale Journey" itinerary visits South Shetland Islands and Antarctic Peninsula.
Ocean Endeavour - user reviews and comments
Photos of Ocean EndeavourAdd Photo
Ocean Endeavour ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Antarctica boasts untouched wilderness and breathtaking scenery home to penguins, seals, whales, and numerous species of seabirds, who have adapted...December 25, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Canadian Arctic's summer’s 2020 cruise season will be suspended due to the global Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The annual report of the...March 31, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Launched via the partnerships with Chimu Adventures, the 3 new cruises of Adventure Canada take place onboard the 198-guest Ocean Endeavour, which...December 2, 2019
- show more news
Other Quark Expeditions cruise ships
Ocean Endeavour Wiki
The ship was added to the Iceland ProCruises company's 2018 itinerary program as a second chartered vessel - together with the seasonally (long-term chartered) Ocean Diamond. In 2018, the Endeavour ship had scheduled two 9-day itineraries (departures July 1, July 10) plus an Iceland circumnavigation cruise.
In 2019 and 2020, the liner was chartered by the company Adventure Canada for two 10-day "Newfoundland Circumnavigation" cruise itineraries roundtrip from homeport St Johns NL. Itinerary's onboard-ashore experience includes themed activities (folk music, poetry, storytelling), deep-sea fishing, visiting Gros Morne National Park, St Pierre Island (food and wine tour), L'Anse aux Meadows (archaeological site). Newfoundland Circumnavigation cruises were scheduled for October 2-12 (2019) and June 26-July 6 (2020). Prices started from USD 4,000 pp (double occupancy rates).
In early-December 2019, Adventure Canada announced four Ocean Endeavour cruises to Antarctica via partnership with Chimu Adventures Pty Ltd (2004-founded, NYC-based travel company). The voyages are Ushuaia Argentina roundtrips.
- (January 5-18, 2021) "Journey to the Circle", and (February 5-15, 2021; February 14-24, 2021) "Discover Antarctica" visit Antarctic Peninsula and South Shetland Islands.
- (January 17 - February 6, 2021) "Antarctica South Georgia and Falklands Explorer" visits Antarctica, South Georgia Island, Falkland Islands (Port Stanley).
Starting October 2020, Peregrine Adventures (premium travel agency and cruise brand of Intrepid Group) chartered Ocean Endeavour for a series of Antarctic cruises.
Ocean Endeavour User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review